Defense Technica Remembers The Tower Defense Genre

By Craig Pearson on October 1st, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Our universe feels like an offshoot universe. We were created as an alternative to a universe where the tower defense genre kept growing and expanding, consuming all before it like a gloopy blob of evil. The top game over there—on their Squeam digital distribution platform and running on SqueamOS—is Half-Life 3: Citadel Defense. We spiraled off and ended up with League Of Legends and DOTA 2. But we’re still connected, so occasionally a visitor pops over and attempts to make contact. One brother from another mother is the splashy strategic sci-fi Defense Technica that’s coming to Steam on Oct 24th. Trailer is all the way down there.

If you’re now reading about Ricky Martin’s face or the cast of the OC you’ve gone too far. Up here! This is billed as “the next evolution in hardcore tower defense strategy games”, if you can imagine such a thing? They are perhaps over-stating the case a bit, but on top of the typical strategic tower-selection, with towers of power defending you with flamethrowers, missiles, machine guns, mortars, and lasers, is a dynamic battlefield. The terrain reconfigures to funnel the enemy around different paths, and a dynamic weather system will force more tactical rethinks.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. aldo_14 says:

I have to say, that looks a hell of a lot like Defense Grid. Which may be a good or a bad thing.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, the art style is so close that I kept wondering “is this some not-sequel because they lost rights to the name or something”?

And when has Tower Defence not been strategic? They’re puzzle games.

• Mbaya says:

Agreed, I was wondering if it was done by the same team in order to test some idea’s out for a Defence Grid sequel. Very similar style.

On the plus side…one of the best games in the genre to take inspiration from and I’m really liking the look of the dynamic battlefields. I know many people are quite sick of TD games, but me…my inner turtle can’t get enough of em, and sadly, there aren’t that many truly quality titles out there.

• Zorn says:

I always thought a mix of Defense Grid and Sol Survivor would be great. I liked the support powers in Sol and the multiplayer component, I think it was done very solid. Also I couldn’t imagine how that mix would or should look like.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It also looks a bit like 90% of the tower defense games ever made, but don’t they all?

2. Thermal Ions says:

It does definitely remind one of Defense Grid. Might be worth a look if it’s got some character to it.

Totally disappointed that I now need to go and search for what’s happened to Ricky’s face, I scrolled down and I only got to find out about Stephanie Rice, Bill Gates, Katie Piper, Daydream Lily, and how much a Simpsons Avatar is worth.

3. bstard says:

A must have’r! Btw whats the status of DefenseGrid2?

4. InternetBatman says:

The changing battlefields are nice, but they didn’t really show off any cool new towers. If you’ve played Gemcraft, you’ve seen what Defense Grid, Sanctum, and Sol Survivor have to offer. The only game I’ve seen with really interesting variations is Orcs Must Die.

• timjrobinson says:

Well there’s also Tower Storm with it’s offensive and defensive multiplayer gameplay. But I know what you mean.

5. Tei says:

I dunno. The video make it look like the turrets are somewhat inefective against the creep. Maybe they have choosen advanced maps where such is the case, but It looks somewhat weak in the video. The production values are high, and what I seems to understand from the theme (big robos!) is cool. I say Defense Grid where a bit better, in theme and turrets power.

6. Poita says:

I enjoyed Defence Grid and some other tower defense games but I don’t like having designated tower points. I prefer the option of being able to influence the path of the creepers. It just seems lazy design to not give a more open structure.

7. Strangeblades says:

I’m actually blown away (see!) by Devolver Digital being the publisher. Go-go Devolver!

8. zebramatt says:

I have this on iOS and although a pretty decent Defense Grid clone, it never much elevates itself from feeling like a cheap knockoff. The story is so generic and all the dialogue suffers from such localisation issues that it’s at best tedious and often actually quite jarring. It’s nonetheless quite fun but I could never shake the feeling I was playing DG without any of the charm.

Perhaps we’re just spoilt for great tower defence games on iOS – there’s at least one decent new entry to the genre every month (Plants vs Zombies notwithstanding).

Comment on this story