See CDP Explain The Mad Scope Of The Witcher 3

By Jim Rossignol on October 1st, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Of the many, many games I have seen this year, The Witcher 3 stands out as just ridiculously ambitious, as I explained in this article. If you want to get a handle on just what a challenge CD Projekt’s Polish RPG commandos have set for themselves, you should take a look at the presentation they gave at the Eurogamer Expo last weekend. I’m not saying this game is definitely going to flatten the RPG opposition in the coming years – because they are biting off what only a monster can truly chew – but I can’t see any other icebergs as ominous or as enormous as this one.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is due for release in 2014.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ultra Superior says:

Horse arse.

• GameCat says:

Needs staring ars tag.

• cpt_freakout says:

Donkey horse

• Snow Mandalorian says:

Also, am I alone in not wanting to read about a game with a release date of a year or so away?
      It’s just a buzzkill to get excited and then have to wait a whole year. It’s just not worth it.

• airmikee99 says:

If you don’t want to read articles about games that aren’t being released for a while, why did you read an article about a game that isn’t going to be released for a while?

• dE says:

Because people don’t magically know the release dates of games that show up in articles. The note is usually someplace within the article, by which point you’ve stuffed your brain with hype fodder already. It’s not unreasonable to try and avoid hype. Hype builds into expectations, expectations build into disappointment. Avoid hype, avoid disappointment.
          One way or another, it would be superb if RPS put the state of the game someplace prior to the articles or in the tags, any place really where the information can be gained at a quick glance. Something like “Far away release, Might happen within a month, It’s out – quick to the comment boats”.

• Diatribe says:

Presentations lead to hype. Hype leads to expectations. Expectations to disappointment. Disappointment to anger. Anger to the dark side.

• Snow Mandalorian says:

Yeah, this, thank you.

6 months out or less is fine, but a year off just ensures everything I’ve just read/learned will be forgotten wayyy before release. With all the hype behind this game I was expecting it to be near ready. Another damn year though? Ughhh.

2. PopeRatzo says:

Another “Q4 2014″ game.

I get the feeling that there will not be another game released until Q4 2014.

3. Apocalypse says:

physx game

4. Cytrom says:

Does the game feature 360 no-skope kills and perks?

5. DrScuttles says:

Is that the Horse_ebooks horse? I think I can see someone through a hole in its costume.

6. Freud says:

As long as they have hidden 100 collectibles around the map so we gamers have, you know, something to do…

• Horg says:

Unless there are achievements for those collectibles then I will NOT be finding them. I know my rights, I will NOT work for nothing!

• Emeraude says:

But… but… what about the right of the collectibles to be collected ?

Will anyone think of the collectibles ?

• povu says:

That would’ve been a required addition to the game if this was published by Ubisoft.

7. Emeraude says:

Hopefully they can finally deliver. I found The first promising but flawed, the second disappointing but it had its heart in the right place… hopefully they finally manage to hit it out of the park.

But yeah, the more I read about this, the more afraid I am they bit more than they can chew.

8. Phantom_Renegade says:

These people are my kind of crazy.

9. SillyWizard says:

Ah ha ha ha ha…video clearly edited by a troll. Skip to 11 minutes in to start seeing something.

10. SuicideKing says:

The presentation starts after 7 mins. & minutes of video showing the crowd sitting down. WHY?

11. grable says:

If its anything like the previous two i still wont play it :(

• Shepardus says:

Of course it’s going to be something like the previous two, it’s a Witcher game and you play as Geralt of Rivia, and it’s a 3D RPG. But there are changes from the previous two titles, such as adopting a more open world structure, so it’s possible that you would like The Witcher 3 even if you don’t like the previous two, it just depends on why you didn’t like the other two.

• grable says:

My gripe with it is mostly related to the combat, which i found bland and uninteresting.
        But i watched a bit of the video and they claimed to have a new “dynamic” combat system, so here hoping :p

• Cinek says:

IDK, I found combat in The Witcher 2 to be more interesting and fun than for example Skyrim.

12. SillyWizard says:

Did he say something about the defenders of MILFgard…?

13. Grottismo says:

Dev was pretty nice in the QA, I trust them to do a sick job but there’s high probability for shit happening with a massive open world game

• Grargh says:

I love the contrast between him and that random cheerleader suit from the Thief presentation. Gives you a sense of the different kind of audience they are aiming at.

14. golem09 says:

The truly ambitious RPG coming out next year is Sui Generis. Not because of the physics, but because of the quest / AI System. See Dev update #2.
    Still I’m a big Wicher fan and currently reading all the books and playing all the games to prepare for next year..

• Cinek says:

Is it? Looks rather underwhelming. Not only comparing to W3, but in general.

“All characters and creatures are driven by their own goals and unique perception of the world.” – I heard that thousands of times.
      Also I’m not a big fan of pure sandbox RPGs. Usually it means hours spent on doing nothing / running from one location to another through the vacuum. I waste enough of my time spending it on boring travel IRL not to do the same in games.
      And the fact that even all of the locations on a promo screenshots look completely sterile doesn’t put too much optimism in me.
      Sorry, but it doesn’t seem even half as interesting as W3. Rather yet another game made by people with no good portfolios who got overambitious goals comparing to what they can achieve. Dozens of these in last 4 years. Move along, move along.

• golem09 says:

Thing is, they are not dreaming about it, they are developing these system and successfully as they say.
        Everyone has their own life has often been said, but these guys are the first to go into absolute detail about it. It has often been said, but never even been attempted like this.

15. gmillar says:

It might seem like a minor thing, but not being able to create my own character kills any interest this would have for me.

• Ninja Dodo says:

Urgh…. play WoW or Skyrim then. It’s a specific game about a specific character that would not be improved by starring Mr or Ms GenericBlankSlateman/woman of CustomFace. Just because it works for Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls doesn’t mean all games should have it.

16. Pidesco says:

Very interesting presentation. Shame about the questions asked by the crowd. About 3 questions worth asking in the whole Q&A.

17. lofaszjoska says:

I think I understand now how it feels to be a fanboy. Screw HL3 patents, screw every other game ever, all my hype is reserved for this.

18. engion3 says:

Really looking forward to this game. I enjoyed 2 very much and this one looks to polish and expand the experience. I also appreciate any game that gets my gpu fan speed over 50%.