Space Dust Glittering: Limit Theory Footage

By Craig Pearson on October 1st, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Dat dust
Tired, irritable, stressed, smelly*? Don’t worry, we all get like that from time to time. Don’t suffer, though. Each month the developer of the open-world, procedural space simulation game Limit Theory releases a video of his game’s progress. In it you’ll see the latest tweaks to the engine that his made, and watch as the potential for his Elite-style space game becomes grander and more exciting. No matter what Josh Parnell is talking about, be it the first smear of a lighting system or the initial drop of the AI code that will turn his static world into a living universe, he does so with tone and of a Jazz FM DJ at 3am. His words are a pillow for your brain. Don’t operate heavy machinery while watching this video.

Finally! A thing that’s bugged Josh in the past couple of videos has been fixed: dust clouds that look like dust clouds while he was inside them, but disappearing when he left. That’s now no longer the case and he’s absolutely thrilled with the effect. In addition to that, he’s added dynamic lighting, so blasts of plasma fire or soft burns of the engines will splash light over nearby asteroids.

Which we’ve all seen before in various games, so to throw a curve at us he introduces us to the NPC AI. He appears to be aiming to remove scripting and specification from their activities, allowing them to move freely throughout throughout the world, recognizing opportunities and acting on them. Ooh.

*You might want to take a shower for that, to be honest.

, , .

1. DarkFarmer says:

“he does so with tone and of a Jazz FM DJ at 3am. His words are a pillow for your brain. Don’t operate heavy machinery while watching this video.” hahaha so true, Josh you have a sexy voice man, if Limit Theory doesn’t work out you’d be a great real estate agent.

2. AshRolls says:

I love the daily updates he posts of his development progress in the limit theory forums. It really shows how passionate and skilled he is, along with the amount of thought he is putting in to the games systems.

Let’s hope he gets the procedural algorithms tweaked to build a varied universe full of interesting emergent behaviour. If there is going to be an infinite universe it should be fun and meaningful to explore!

Colour me cautiously optimistic.

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Yes, it’s absolutely fascinating to keep track of his work on the game, read daily to weekly and monthly logs, and see him actively communicate with the community. Grand and ambitious person.

3. SanguineAngel says:

Josh is the hardest working person on the planet but the results are glorious. I love reading his daily dev log

4. SuicideKing says:

I have mad amounts of respect for this guy. To top it all, he’s my age. I can’t do shit by comparison. This stuff is brilliant. Even full dev studios fail at AI.

5. Jim Rossignol says:

One of my favourite Kickstarter projects, pitched exactly right. Looks like he’s nailing it.

• Stardreamer says:

This was the very first game I ever Kickstarted. Josh’s passion and enthusiasm shone from the site. Future mega-star of gaming in the making, right here.

I hope Limit Theory sells millions. This guy deserves every cent.

• Premium User Badge Llewyn says:

This is the one game I wish I’d kickstarted. Sure, I’ll be able to buy it on release, but would have liked to support it in development.

• daphne says:

I’ve never bought more than one copy of a game, outside of bundles and such. But the amount of money I pledged for LT Kickstarter is paltry compared to other projects I’ve thrown my money at, and as such I fully expect to buy five to ten copies of this game when it’s released, out of a sheer desire to support this fellow’s ambitions (and spread the word).

6. Hunchback says:

Respect to the dude for working so hard on his project. I wish i could do -anything- at all creative, but so far i can’t :P

Also, respect for having the balls, i guess, to keep pushing this project, in a time when a new X game and Star Citizen are knocking on the door as well!

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Definitely. Much respect. Kinda wish I’d backed his project to support him.

7. Didden says:

I wish EVE would do this.

8. crinkles esq. says:

I’m really, really impressed at the breadth and depth of his skills. Doing complex graphics algorithms and then figuring out new ways of doing AI is crazy. Speaking of the AI, I’ve always wondered why no one has gone down this path with AI in games. I suspect people have, but that the lack clearly-defined behaviors has led to unforeseen consequences which impact gameplay. Josh might have to deal with some of this as the behavior nodes get more complex.

To be pedantic: Josh sounds more like a college radio DJ than jazz; he doesn’t have the creamy baritone of the latter. But still better than 99.5% of other developer narrations.

I wish I had seen this KS when it was still active. :(

• Stardreamer says:

I’ve wondered about the AI myself. I’m hoping Josh has enough skill to manage the fearsome complexity that’s bound to result from having dozens of agents in-universe all making their own decisions. I can’t express how happy i am that he’s even attempting this – robust, unscripted AI is something of a Lost Art in modern gaming – but I can’t even imagine how difficult it’s going to be to refine his AI systems into a coherent, and above all fun, gameplay experience.

But if anyone can do it, It’s Josh Parnell.

9. captain nemo says: