Need For Speed Rivals Sure Has Some Cars In It

By John Walker on October 2nd, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

The latest incarnation of Not Burnout Paradise 2 is Need For Speed Rivals, as Criterion continue to not quite make Burnout Paradise 2 in this other franchise. Announced in May, we’ve not checked in since, so here’s the latest footage to watch, feel hopeful about, but secretly wish it were Burnout Paradise 2.

As is traditional for the baseball-cap-on-at-an-awkward-angle series, the game has you playing as either a racer aiming to gain reputation for his street-tearing antics, or as a cop, working in teams to hunt down these nefarious drivers and slap them quite the fine.

That definitely is cars driving around and bumping into each other.

, , , .

Keymonk says:

I wish this was Burnout Paradise 2 too. :(

• PopeRatzo says:

Who doesn’t? One has to wonder why, with such a ravenous group of fans for a game from last decade, Criterion doesn’t just make a Burnout Paradise 2.

• SanguineAngel says:

I wish it was Burnout 3: Takedown 2 *living in the past*

• DatonKallandor says:

The whole open world bull they introduced and continue to stick to with Paradise is terrible. You know what I want out of a Burnout game? RACING. Not open world DJ online leaderboard social crap. I wanna race fast cars against AIs and I want those races to take place on interesting wildly diverse tracks.

• Artificial says:

I agree with you. Paradise didn’t do much for me at all. It all felt very hollow. I much prefer rigid tracks without all the open world rubbish.

• The Random One says:

You can do open world racing well, but Paradise didn’t.

• egg-zoo-bear-ant will e 91 says:

I wish it was both. Maybe you could take your car to the airport for a world tour mode

• The First Door says:

I don’t… I really didn’t like Paradise. The actual racing was just a bit rubbish.

P.S. I agree with SanguineAngel! More Burnout 3. Heck, more Burnout 4 would be lovely too.

• Jerppa says:

I miss Crash Mode (or whatever it was called). Great fun with friends.

• ludde says:

I wish this was Need for Speed though. Y’know, without lightning exploding from police cars — like they used to make them.

Probably never gonna get one of those again.

stahlwerk says:

Is this a tie in to the movie?

3. Lagwolf says:

I don’t get it.. I got Burnout Paradise in a bundle a while ago. I tried to play it and thought the controls were terrible. At least on PC it was a clunky rubbish game.

• Moni says:

I was wondering if it was just me. I played it on the Xconsole box and all the cars steered like buses.

Which is a shame because I think most of the elements of Paradise seem to be in there, except for the general sense of sunny, summer fun, and Avril Lavigne.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Yeah, was not at all a fan of the controls for BO:P on PC. And while we’re at it, the last NFS game, which was also Criterion, had equally bad controls.

• field_studies says:

I put about 15 hours into Burnout Paradise after reading so much affection for it on RPS… and I only made it to 15 hours because I was trying so hard to like it, kept hoping I was about to discover what I’d been missing.

But I don’t get it. The city felt badly designed, particularly those very few routes that led to the country that one had to take so so many times. Cars felt a bit silly and not in a fun way, the smash-all-the-signs thing seemed about as interesting as collectibles in any action game. Each to their own, of course, but there are a lot of other car games (Burnout series, Driver:SF, off the top of my head) that I’d much rather see sequels to.

4. PopeRatzo says:

Can I have it now, please? I need an arcade racing game so bad it hurts. I reinstalled NFS: Most Wanted, NFS: Hot Prosciutto and Burnout Paradise in the past few months because I’m in withdrawal from good arcade racers.

One I found that was really kind of fun was Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage from Gamespires. It’s not what I really want, which is tearing around an open world having races and stunts and crashes and chases, all to heavy metal music (and occasional Mozart), but it was pretty OK. Kept me from jonesing for a few weeks.

When does this NFS: Rivals come out, anyway?

• Wendelius says:

“When does this NFS: Rivals come out, anyway?”

Right about the same time as next gen consoles (around the 19th or 22nd of November?). I’ll definitely be playing NFS Rivals on one of those.

5. SanguineAngel says:

I liked Burnout Paradise but it was greatly disappointing to me. The greatest things about Burnout was Aftertouch, which seems like such a small thing but it made the world of difference. Without it, crashes are something to be avoided, which rather altered the dynamic of the game

lowprices says:

Criterion aren’t making this, are they? I thought this was by another EA studio, and that Criterion have slimmed right down and are doing something else.

As for Burnout Paradise 2: I wish. Need for Speed: Most Wanted is great, but I prefer Paradise and it’s sunnier city.

• SooSiaal says:

Yes in some news article(first one actually) on the nfs site it says “Hello, I am James Mouat, Lead Designer at Ghost Games”, doesnt sound very Criteriony to me

7. Stochastic says:

This looks like a visually-upgraded Hot Pursuit. Which I suppose wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if they can make the handling feel more responsive (I miss Burnout Revenge), but this trailer does make me think maybe the creative well has dried up.

8. SuicideKing says:

I really wish i could have a pure NFS back again. SHIFT came close but then that tried to be a sim.

I really want something like NFS II SE or NFS Hot Pursuit 2.

Criterion’s ruined NFS in my opinion, while not quite making Burnout for Burnout fans either. The new Hot Pursuit was terrible as far as pursuits were concerned, and optimised horribly too.

• Barberetti says:

It’s not just your opinion. I managed about 3 hours of their version of Hot Pursuit before snapping the dvd and throwing it in the bin. After that experience, I wouldn’t play another NFS by them if they gave me a copy for free.

• SuicideKing says:

I stopped playing the pursuits, and when i absolutely HAD to play them, i stopped playing.

I though i was in a minority, because all my friends though it was the best thing ever. Their logic was that they loved burnout so this game being burnout is good, and i should have known before buying it (that it’ll be like this because Criterion’s making it). I mean, seriously?

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Just play NFS Most Wanted. The real one, from 2005. Best NFS ever.

• SuicideKing says:

I did…and not for me, it became a bit too repetitive by the time i reached the 5th blacklist and i hated the drag races. Modding the car was fun though.

9. pilouuuu says:

Need for Speed Most Wanted new version was awful. Car that exploded at the minimum contact against a wall and horrible steering.

Hopefully this will be better than that.

• Daarck says:

How much wall-contact would you say was fair before igniting like a Simpsons go-cart? Why don’t they do that on a sliding scale, like the body types in an rpg? 0 for invincible, 10 for slapped by Hulk at the hint of a feather. We have computers these days guys, it shouldn’t be hard.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Really the worst part about it is that you could still miss the wall (or car or piece of paper in the road) by a few cm and still have the crash animation play. And they were unskippable. Ugh.

I’d wanted an NFS game about racing and maybe police pursuits. I got neither; the best way to win every race is to just crash your opponents repeatedly by tapping them lightly on the side, and the police escapes were all contrived, and felt like chores.

10. Artist says:

“Collect 6 rat tails”. rly?

11. PopeRatzo says:

I want a new arcade racing game so bad, I came here again, 6 hours later, just to see the video and think about Burnout Paradise.

12. Dazmaniac says:

After watching the clip all I seem to see is Criterion releasing an updated version of their first EA-collaberation offering:- Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

That had loads of cars, option to run as the police, all around a fictitious area called Seacrest County.

This just seems like a 2013 re-boot.

13. MaryRCobb says:

my best friend’s step-mother makes $88/hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 10 months but
    last month her pay was $14500 just working on the laptop for a few hours. this article ……