Zeboyd’s Cosmic Star Heroine Is On Kickstarter

By Jim Rossignol on October 2nd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Zeboyd, veterans of the lo-fi RPG, have set their sights on a sci-fi espionage RPG called Cosmic Star Heroine, and to make it they’re hoping to raise $100,000. That shouldn’t be too much of a problem, as they’ve already raised over $40k. Why so popular? Well, the team are promising a game “inspired by Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star & Suikoden.” They explain: “Alyssa L’Salle is one of the galactic government’s top agents and always manages to save the day! But when she accidentally uncovers a dark conspiracy, her own government outs her as a legendary spy and the people’s champion!” Something very similar happened to me, I have to say.

Needless to type, you can see the pitch video below and make up your own mind.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Themadcow says:

Errr… first post fail (made a sweeping comment about lack of Suikoden influence in the video then read the kickstarter page that mentioned base development).

2. stahlwerk says:

Game Boy and Virtual Boy versions confirmed.

3. Phantom_Renegade says:

I’m kind of torn on this one, I feel like kickstarter is for games and other stuff that, without backer support would not have happened, given that this is an indie dev with a certain number of succesful games under their belt I think this game would have been made anyway. Far too many people are using this as a kind of pre-order thing, only charging way more then they could normally get away with.

In this case, Zeboyds games have been around 5 dollars, and yet here the lowest game tier is 10, doubling that. More money would make sense if this was something that they could not have realized otherwise, now it’s just pushing all of the risk and financing efforts onto their backers.

On the other hand it does look cool and ooh, thirty dollars gets me an artbook! I might be part of the problem.

• Moraven says:

KS should be more than the release price, since you are backing the development, not pre-ordering it.

Yah… while they note they would have made a game on royalties and own savings, they mention it would not be as good. Were the past games not that successful to fund future games then? Would think that would be the goal. They will have lost sales based on the KS and every future release will require KS backing.

And the production values seemed increased from their previous releases and looks more towards a $10 game than a $3-$5 game.

4. Themadcow says:

10 minutes ago – hugely suspicious after watching video. Write negative comment. Flounce off to kickstarter page.

5 minutes ago – having read kickstarter page, start to feel somewhat positive.

1 minute ago – back Kickstarter campaign.

Meh.

5. MarcP says:

“L’Salle”

W
    T
    F

Can we ban english-speaking people from using the apostrophe already?

• Anthile says:

Butchering foreign languages is a hallmark of Japanese media. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was deliberate.

• MrUnimport says:

Maybe it’s a futurey corruption of La Salle? Having done a few years of mandatory French schooling I sure can understand the desire to butcher it a bit myself.

• RedViv says:

Why? It’s a made-up name in no way attempting to simulate correct grammatical phrasing.

• airmikee99 says:

Banning a punctuation mark simply because someone used it in the name of a fictional character in a video game?

You’re not serious, are you?

• Dorchadas says:

It’s part of a long and glorious tradition!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_v._M%27Intosh

(note: pronounced “MacIntosh”)

• The Random One says:

Maybe in their language ‘ls’ means ‘of the’.

While I don’t share your hatred for the apostrophe the names in this project are all hideous. Cosmic Star Heroine sounds like an anime parody in GTA, and Alyssa L’Salle is a name where consonants go to die. Good thing that the rest of the concept seems as good as the names are awful.

6. Keyrock says:

I love Chrono Trigger, I love Phantasy Star, I like Zeboyd, yet I’m pretty lukewarm on this Kickstarter. I’m not sure why.

/shrugs

7. lomaxgnome says:

Day one, but I’ll let someone else finance it. They’ve done everything about the Kickstarter right though. I’d have probably jumped on it for $5 but at $10 I’ll wait until release.

8. Zeno says:

It’s retro so it’s good!

9. Blackseraph says:

They made cthulhu saves the world which was fairly great game as well as nice concept. I doubt i’m gonna back this but will buy most likely.

10. Moraven says:

Best part of this KS:

What if the kickstarter gets overfunded? We don’t know about you, but we hate it when kickstarters get a lot more money than they expected, drastically increase the scope of the game, and end up pushing the release date back months or even years. What’s worse, some of these kickstarters drastically underestimate how much all those new features are going to end up costing with the result that they end up running out of money before they manage to fulfill all of their promises.

We don’t want this to happen to us!

With the December 2014 fulfillment date, we’ve given ourselves a bit of leeway as far as development time goes. If we get enough money that we decide that we can spend a couple extra months polishing up the game, we’ll be able to without pushing back that date. In addition to that, we could use additional funding to increase our audio budget and hire additional help so that we can get more done without noticeably increasing our development time.

And what if after all this, we end up finishing the game and still have a good chunk of money left over? How about using that extra money to develop some free post-release DLC? We’ve released some major free DLC for our previous games (the alternate storyline in Cthulhu Saves the World & the Epilogue scenario in Precipice of Darkness 3) so we’d be game for doing something similar with Cosmic Star Heroine. Maybe a separate mini-Roguelike mode ala Lufia 2′s Ancient Cave…

• RedViv says:

They’ve done so many things right and are keeping a clear head about things. That and their history of pretty good games are really enough to convince to back if one can do so and wants the game.

11. MellowKrogoth says:

All that is very good, but can I play as a guy?

….just kidding, I much prefer the dev to pick a single character as the hero and develop him/her well. I identify better with the character if he’s male, but I’d rather play an interesting female than a shoehorned-in male.

This said I expect certain groups of feminists to give this game a hard time no matter what. Make her “strong”, they’re gonna find she’s just a male clone instead of reflecting feminine values. Make her feminine, you’ll be accused of propagating stereotypes.

12. K33L3R says:

I’m liking the game, also as some people have mentioned above, Zeboyd have done a very good pitch, kept cool and their attitude towards over funding is particularly refreshing

13. Engonge says:

Guy says two main goals and “Destroy the world” appears on the screen, funny.

14. qrter says:

I’ve always generally liked Zeboyds games, but also always tend to burn out on the repetitiveness/grindiness of the combat. I don’t think I’ve ever finished one of their games.

15. Suits says:

Seriously though, considering their past development times 100k is a fraction of the actual cost if they are going to hire people.

16. jrodman says:

Having played all the Zeboyd games, and all the games they referenced, I don’t believe for a second that they (he) can do justice to those games referenced.

The Zeboyd mechanics tend to be interesting and considered, but they don’t give me the sense of joy of experiencing those referenced games do. Which is odd, because I’m doing the same attacks over and over in Phantasy Star, Chrono Trigger and Suikoden, but there’s enough *other things* going on, I guess to keep me enthralled. I have a more real sense of exploration, and more of a sense of character progression, and of course the worlds and graphics are more interesting because they had a much larger team investing in them.

• commentingaccount says:

Yeah, I’d say the one issue with Zeboyd’s games so far is there’s little ability to explore and find neato shit. I hope this latest one changes that(I’d settle for a shorter main plot to pull this off).

• Robert Boyd says:

Having more variety in gameplay is the biggest area that we’re hoping to improve with this game because we know that’s a weakness of our previous games. We definitely want to make things more interesting than the “Go to dungeon, fight a bunch of monsters, repeat” pattern that we’ve done in the past.

• jrodman says:

But I *like* go to dungeon defeat a bunch of monsters, repeat.

I replayed Bard’s Tale 1 in the past year or two, and had a lot of fun playing through some of Lufia 1 last month. The only flaw with those games vs me now is that I get bored before they finish, so it’s just a matter of the game being 40 hours and I only have 15 hours of interest.

But even Dragon Quest 1 offered me a larger sense of exploration.

• fooga44 says:

You need to make your combat fun, then it won’t be a grind. i.e. find cool weaps, armor, make battles interesting and fun, so that people WANT to repeat them.

Thats why RPG’s worked in the first place. Final fantasy (the original) is one big great long grind, but since no one had done it before it was hella fun. It’s your job as a game dev to find weaknesses in the battle system and to figure out what to do with it to make it interesting.

17. MaryRCobb says:

my best friend’s step-mother makes $88/hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 10 months but
    last month her pay was $14500 just working on the laptop for a few hours. this article ……

Comment on this story