Blood Alloy Releases Prototype Demos, Don’t Throw Abuse

By John Walker on October 3rd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Blood Alloy looks an awful lot like Abuse. The game. Not… Nevermind. The 1996 DOS game by Crack Dot Com (kudos to them on that name in ’96, let’s note). But for those confused, THIS IS A GOOD THING! Abuse was brilliant. The game. The videogame called Abuse. Dear me. So obviously inspired by it (the game), and working in lots of Metroidvania elements, Suppressive Fire Games are hoping to create something new from multiple inspirations. We mentioned it last month, and its aims to raise funds. Since then its Kickstarter has rather ground to a halt, but in an attempt to enliven things, a couple of demos have been released.

Of the two, the more accessible is the Exploration Demo. It offers a peculiarly huge, sprawling set of locations, filled with enemies to shoot at as well. This shows off the Abuse-like floaty movement, and of course lets you once again enjoy keyboard movement and mouse aiming. Then move on to the Combat Demo, which gives a much more specific idea of the game, especially its difficulty. They’re buggy, but these are obviously just prototypes. But they give you an idea of what they’re about.

Whether it’ll be enough to convince people to get behind I’m not sure. Still, we can’t have enough Abuse-inspired Metroidvanias.

, , , .

1. Viroso says:

Say, why do we use the terms metroidvania and zelda clone. If you think about it, both are kind of the same thing. Open world but with guided progression, you go into areas, acquire a new ability that lets you go to new areas, there are secrets hidden everywhere and you fight a lot of bosses.

RedViv says:

Exploratory ability-propelled action-adventure 2D platformer vs exploratory ability-propelled action adventure brawly everything-from-top-down-to-third-person.
      So is it mostly the perspective?

• TheIronSky says:

I would argue that the differences lie in the perspective, and that Metroid typically has more backtracking and fewer secrets.

Maybe that’s just me, though.

• belgand says:

Along with perspective Metroidvanias typically lack the puzzles and shops that Zelda-style games tend to have. They also are not usually focused on “dungeons” with a greater separation from the overworld so much as sections of the game that are not accessible and may yield access to other sections. And thus contribute to the greater degree of backtracking. In Zelda you’ll generally never go back to a dungeon. Perspective is also quite key. Not just in terms of perspective, but in the gameplay style. Metroidvanias will occasionally be closer to platformers with precision jumping and other movement-related challenges while Zelda-style games are much less twitchy.

RedViv says:

John Walker. Puzzle maniac. Kitten exploiter. Knight of PC. Abuse supporter. Are there no bounds to this man’s depravity?

DrScuttles says:

Apparently not. Not only does he engage in a podcast that serves to promote rampant alcoholism, he ate a cream tea that one time too.

3. DatonKallandor says:

It’s like a 2D Vanquish.

• KevinLew says:

I’m almost positive that the “rocket-boost while sliding on your knees” is a homage to Vanquish.

4. Turin Turambar says:

Ohh Abuse! A little cult classic for me. One of the few games in my 20+ years of gaming I played several times consecutively, finishing the game in all the difficulties.

They even freed the source code, years later.

• Niko says:

It was really quite a modern game for that time, and it looked very cool, too.

• Optimaximal says:

I never really got why picking up floating CPUs turned my legs robot-ty…

• Niko says:

I have a perfectly reasonable explanation: because why the hell not.

• neonordnance says:

I LOVED Abuse. The controls were incredibly fluid and the graphics were great. It’s a big influence on a game project that I’m one day hoping to finish.

5. botonjim says:

Mouse aiming, eh? Take that Spelunky!

6. Optimaximal says:

The sad thing is this entire KS and game proposal can be ruined by simply posting a video of Abuse in action, followed by the reminder that it (Abuse) is free on both Desura an via its SVN.

7. The First Door says:

I remember Abuse! I also remember it scared the willies out of me at some parts too, knowing a vicious attack was just around the corner. I hope I’m not the only one!

Andy_Panthro says:

With the rise of 2D platforming type games, I feel like now is the perfect time for Blizzard to announce a Blackthorne remake/reboot/something.

• Crowbar says:

I’d rather some indie dev makes a “Blackthorne-a-like”, than have Blizzivision dirty it up.

We don’t want it to have online-only with the option to pay real money for shotgun upgrades and a unique orc mount.

9. Bweahns says:

Abuse was the first platform game I had played that gave me the willies. That horrible screech when the aliens spotted you. Burr.

• Niko says:

The thing is, every alien made that loud scream when it appeared. When 20 aliens appeared at the same time, it was 20 times louder.

10. Panda Powered says:

Having “Dot Com” in the company name (or last name if you are the founder of Megauploads) is really telling of what time period they existed in.