Defect SDK Will Use Your Creations Against You

By Craig Pearson on October 3rd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Confusingly titled spaceship builder Defect SDK had me staring at my monitor like a monkey at a monolith. Why are they selling a defective SDK? How is that a game? I asked, but the people of Forbidden Chatroom of Mystery were of no help: Jim only communicates with screenshots of Sir, John is singing this song: “I am best! I am best! I’m the best one of the lot!”, and Adam is from Manchester and scares me. I was left to figure it all out on my own. After calling my dad, we had it sussed: the “Defect” part means the crew of your ship could steal if from you at any moment, and “SDK” stands for “Spaceship Destruction Kit”. No, it’s not a very helpful name, but now I’ve had it explained to me I quite like the concept, and the trailer has some lovely moments

You can build a 2D spacecraft, clicking together tiles to build ships of any size and style (with a nice focus on “sci-fi movies and shows from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s”), and pilot it through space. But there’s a problem: while you’re lancing bad guys through asteroid fields and shouting about how great you are, your crew (apparently led by Stanley Kubrick) could potentially defect and take your ship with them. So you need to design a destroyer with inherent flaws, or you’ll be fighting off a super-powerful space bastard of your own creation. It’s a lovely twist.

That was a fun trailer. It’ll be out in 2014, and include cross-platform play with tablets. Hooray!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Captain Joyless says:

So it’s Gimbal, then?

2. Arglebargle says:

Sounds like a one trick pony….and the trick’s not nearly as clever as they think.

• Baines says:

Depends on how interesting the battles and design is.

Build a ship. When your ship defeats the existing ships, it becomes the new enemy that you have to take down. It also looks like you can keep increasing size.

It is going to have a limited life, but it could be entertaining for potentially several hours. That would still be better than some games manage.

3. Gap Gen says:

Minus points for not registering defects.dk

4. Nouser says:

Being able to build little Yamatos has already sold me this.

5. Ross Angus says:

It would be nice if the editor had a button marked “mirror symmetry”. You don’t need to turn it on, but, you know.

6. MajorManiac says:

This looks brilliant. A build your own Space Pirates & Zombies perhaps.

7. dagudman says:

A really nice idea. Make the best spaceship you can then try to beat it by finding flaws.

8. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Hmm, so I can’t play like Zapp Brannigan? Sometimes victory requires sending wave after wave of your own men to their deaths.

9. skittles says:

Wow, this honestly just leaves me confused. Am I a captain who is that bad a judge of character that every crew I ever hire is going to defect and try to kill me? I would give up right away.

10. Phasma Felis says:

The early game seems to be centered around single-seat fighters, which make the “crew mutiny” concept a little odd. Maybe R2 finally got fed up.

Comment on this story