Let’s Dive Into The Arma 3 Workshop

By Craig Pearson on October 4th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

A diver diving. Yesterday.
We’re still waiting for official Arma 3 content to arrive from Bohemia, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to play. The Arma 3 Steam Workshop is a time-sink of missions, mods, and misc add-ons that I can only describe by pulling a face. Just imagine a quizzical kitten. What’s on there? What’s worth playing? What’s worth experiencing (which might mean it’s broken but worth a look, or it might be so ridiculous that I couldn’t help but install it)? Here are a few things that caught my eye.

Whole Lotta Altis
While we’re waiting for a single scenario from the game’s developers, modders are making amazing things. This mod creates a dynamic war across the whole of Altis, dropping your squad somewhere on the island and challenging you to make a difference. It’s nearly an RPG, with ambient life providing you with local intel, and dynamic missions being generated according to how you play. A few caveats: it’s hard, and you really need to know you’re way around squad commands to make the most of it. It is pretty buggy, and currently a lot of people are reporting a problem with the game pausing. If it gets too much, there’s also Dynamic Universal War System. It’s less involved than WLA, but enables you to easily set-up scenarios on any map.

Arma 3 Rally: Skopos Course
I roleplayed this a little. It was the end of the war and my side had gained an unequivocal victory. Seriously, it wasn’t even funny. But we’d been budgeted for another six months of war, so instead of reporting back home my battalion set up a rally course and started a competitive rallying league. This first course, set in the Southern peninsula of Altis, winds through the hills, past (or through) some appreciative locals, and alongside the wind turbines. There are some lovely moments where you fly past remnants of former battles, and you’re buzzed by a passing plane. It’s the first course in what should be a few, but if you’re keen to race more you should also grab the Great Altis Highway Race

Sniper Alley
There aren’t many missions that are truly single-player, but this is a good one. No squad members, no co-op. Just the player, a gun, and a huge chunk of Altis in which to hunt down four other snipers. It can be a challenge, though if you approach each area with caution and think about it, then their positions are pretty obvious. It requires a lot of patience and some luck, but it’s both an excellent way to learn the fundamentals of the long shot and a nice introduction to the still, quiet, and almost contemplative role of the sniper. Any video will be spoilers, so instead here’s some snipe tips directly from Bohemia.

Wulfenstein
I’ve found myself returning to Wulfenstein again and again. It has a magical draw for such a simple concept: you’re dropped into a huge maze of concrete walls and you have to escape. It’s basically one long CQB session. The AI sometimes breaks, and I’ve seen at least one walk through a wall, but it’s a curio that’s worth attempting. A fun place to test out your trigger finger.

Ground Attack
The most inexplicably popular mission on the Workshop. It’s set on Stratis and it’s an incredibly easy and simple mission. You take your chopper from the base to a road with a convoy of enemies and try to wipe them out. I’m baffled. Why is this so… oh, I see! Warning, the video below has massive spoilers about why so many people like it. And in case you’re wondering, the answer is yes, it is because of that. I’ve played it three times, and it makes me wish Bohemia had licensed music.

Pong.
Seriously.

Now it’s time for you to share, because these things are best when you get to hear others talk about Arma.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

1. Bodge says:

You might want to check that tag Craig.

We played the rally a couple of days back, it is simple but nicely done with a few ooohhh craapppp!!! moments. If people are wanting someone to play missions with RPS's resident Arma platoon, Folkarps, are as active as ever and we are exploring this brave new world of A3 so come visit us @ www.folkarps.com and jump in our skype channel to organise impromptu sessions or join our organised ones whenever you want up to twice weekly.

Gap Gen says:

RPS Cocoon also has some (similar) suggestions – http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/28/the-10-best-arma-3-mods-and-missions-so-far/

I really need to try this beyond blowing stuff up for kicks in the demo missions.

2. Bodge says:

You might want to check that tag Craig.

We played the rally a couple of days back, it is simple but nicely done with a few ooohhh craapppp!!! moments. If people are wanting someone to play missions with RPS’s resident Arma platoon, Folkarps, are as active as ever and we are exploring this brave new world of A3 so come visit us @ http://www.folkarps.com and jump in our skype channel to organise impromptu sessions or join our organised ones whenever you want up to twice weekly.

slerbal says:

Check out the Great Highway Race – I helped Jason with that one and it is a lot of fun :)

• SuicideKing says:

This weekend i should join you folks. “Should” because i’m lazy and have been postponing this forever.

• stoner says:

Come join us at 1:20PM (central) . We’re friendly. We don’t bite. Usually.

JB says:

Escape Altis ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181408732 ) just had a bit of an update, it’s a lot of fun. If you ever played Escape from Chernarus, you should check it out. If you didn’t play Escape from Chernarus, you should still check it out. (Here’s a link to a friend’s blog piece about a game of EfC three of us played http://thurot.com/2012/05/22/escape-from-chernarus/ )

JB says:

Oh, there’s Escape from Stratis if Altis is a bit on the large side for you.

And here’s 53 minutes (53! Edited!) of most of a run of 4-5 of us doing Escape from Chernarus, recorded by Alikchi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XaVQdDsJYk

• Bodge says:

Ahh yes this is on my “to play” list much fun was had lying in a bush cowering from a BMP2 on chernarus.

JB says:

I’ve played a bit of Escape Altis with Alikchi, it’s basically as much fun as escaping from Chernarus if you allow for a certain amount of bugginess. More buggy than normal Arma, I mean. Altis has some nice terrain variation too.

Gap Gen says:

Is that Monty’s mission? (The Chernarus one). If so, I think I might have contributed some code to it to calculate where it should drop you on the map… (EDIT: OK, maybe not, but it looks similar in concept)

He made a similar mission in North Saharani in ArmA 1, which was great – getting a fleet of helicopters and hunting for the last person lost on the island was amazing, sort of Apocalypse Now-ish but with less napalm and rockets. And the time I ran out of bullets shooting at a patrol and had to run over a sniper with my car, then used his rifle to go on a sniper spree in downtown Bagango rather than actually try to escape. Or when I followed someone as they broke into an army base and we stole a helicopter together, etc, etc. It’s for the most part a hiking sim, but that’s fine if you have an evening to burn and some people to gibber at over VOIP.

slerbal says:

Escape from Chernarus was the best ever mission for Arma 2 in my opinion. It has given me and my friends many, many hours of enjoyment, thrills, fear and elation.

This one is coming along nicely but still has a bit more development needed I reckon. That said I am so excited to see a version out there!

• Vormulac says:

Thanks JB. Glad you’re enjoying the missions. Traffic has been one of the biggest hurdles so far simply because it doesn’t seem to like to stay on the roads. We have some improvements coming in 1.5 that should help traffic a bit but I have a feeling that keeping cars (specifically civilian cars) on the road will be a challenge. If you find bugs please post them either in the BIS forum thread or on the steam page. The code base for the mission is basically just a tweaked version of the original, and I’m working on optimising it for A3 as we go but it’s a slow process.

Thanks again.

4. hymnharmonia says:

The Convoy (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181643201) is probably the best single player mission I’ve played in Arma 3 yet.

It’s a night time op (NVG-less, but for a good reason), you play as an OPFOR squad leader ambushing a BLUFOR convoy, and it packs a couple of nice surprises.
    Highly recommended!

5. trooperwally says:

I can’t remember the name of the mission but there was one which was so bad it was hiliarious. You start on a boat. At night. In pitch blackness. With no night vision goggles. We could not see a thing. By having one person watch the boat’s direction on the map and call out ‘left’ or ‘right’ we were able to move towards the shore but then the enemy super soliders spotted us whilst still hundreds of metres away and shot everyone in the boat dead.

I’ve also had some good times with other community made missions. Desert patrol part 1 is quite good (part 2 is probably also good though I’ve not played it yet). Basically just involves a joyride in a vehicle with a grande launcher. What’s not to love?

Gap Gen says:

I remember some hilarious mission flaws. One mission had user-recorded voices, which was pretty ghastly (although the mission was fine). One started with an awful version of Drunken Sailor for no reason I can determine (it was entirely on land). And one mission that was actually quite epic had every enemy on the quite large map bear down on your exact location as soon as any given enemy spotted you, even if you hid afterwards and moved away into the woods. The objective was on an island (after a HALO drop, which was awesome), so we stealthed it to the island, laid charges on the connecting bridge and then waited to ambush the tanks that arrived. The first tanks crossed the bridge and we blew it, destroying a good few vehicles and stranding the others on the far bank. Turns out BMPs are amphibious. We all died horribly.

6. stele says:

PULLFACE!

7. Love Albatross says:

I’ve played ArmA 3 for around 3 hours now – admittedly not a long time for this kind of game – but have yet to even see a single enemy soldier. I heard some gunfire and saw some smoke, but all the other players just seemed to be walking around at random.

It’s incredibly frustrating to find that yet again Bohemia has crafted another game where you can spend a very long time aimlessly wandering around doing very little. It really needs some options to make it more accessible.

phuzz says:

You missed a change to use a “Fall into my ARMAs” joke.

9. SuicideKing says:

Arma 3 Rally: Skopos Course tip:

Run over a few civies, or grab a gun from the APCs at the back and shoot a few. The planes and tank hate you after that, so then you can go on a rally while being shot at from time to time. Heaven, i tell you.

10. BloonerNL says:

This is shameless self-promotion, but I promise it is actually a very decent and well-produced mission:
    If you are into the AH-99 attack chopper, and you’ve got a buddy to pilot (or gunner) for you, this is highly enjoyable.

11. dogoncrook says:

Whole lotta altis is still very alpha, but entirely playable. His previous missions evolved into masterpieces in arma 2, so definitely keep checking in on it if you like the concept. It’s worth a mention that the multiplayer version is being worked on now as well. I haven’t played it yet (need a new Mic) but I believe it’s playable on the days arma doesn’t update and break everything.

12. yuri999 says:

Surely I’m not the only one miffed about a picture of a freefall being used while the feature header clearly says “dive”. Kraig pls…