Allegorical Horror: The Last Cargo

By Craig Pearson on October 7th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

I hope he's not cross.
Like Minesweeper, Tetris, and 18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul, “The Last Cargo is the result of the experience of a man exposed to the debilitating power of religious indoctrination.” It is a survival horror where the player faces the burdens of forced belief in a building built of his own faith; a ramshackle tower of creeping horrors, shadows, locked doors. It is an intriguing setting with an even more intriguing premise: the player’s imposed faith has rendered him unable to walk, so he must use a wheelchair.

After all, the best horror games prey on weaknesses, and having a character bound to a wheelchair as he has to fight off the monsters that sprout out of a crucifixion corpse (yeah, it appears to be a bit heavy-handed) definitely looks like it’d have me back-wheeling. You’ll see from the footage below that progress is slow, and the world only peeks out of the darkness through the shadows. The addition of a headtorch helps, but the batteries are a concern.

The team is currently hoping for funding over on Indiegogo. Here’s the pitch.

And here’s a bit more footage.

An atheist horror game? There’s a Greenlight page if it holds an interest for you.

__________________

« | »

, .

Top comments

1. SillyWizard says:

I like that he has a blanket.

1. Velko says:

Soooooo. Horror is the new zombies?

2. Hypnotron says:

This game looks nightmarish in a bad way. I doubt even people in wheelchairs want to play a game where their avatar is bound to one. In the sequel they’ll make us play as quadriplegics like the late Christopher Reeves or (effectively like) Stephen Hawking.

• The Random One says:

I like the wheelchair. Horror is about helplessness, and being limited in your movement would help greatly. But I don’t like the… everything else.

3. fco says:

Just the other day I was thinking someone should make an horror game in which the player’s bound to a wheelchair. Only, I was thinking of it as an Occulus Rift game, you know, as a way to avoid the inmersion-breaking moving while remaining seated.

• Syra says:

That’s a really good idea.

• Hypnotron says:

The usual solution to that is a mech, a car, an airplane…. not a wheelchair.

• The Random One says:

I was going to make a snarky remark on how weird it would be to pilot a mecha in a horror game, (thus exposing that a solution to a mechanical problem needs to fit the game’s genre), but it wouldn’t really. Imagine a game in which you’re trapped in a mecha, looking at the outside world through a closed circuit camera that often goes dark just as you hear banging on your suit. Ot even a game in which you’re trying to leave town without going out of your car due to some horrible thing that can’t break glass but can skin you in an instant.

4. Freud says:

The graphics gave me a flashback to the ancient game Dreamweb for some reason.

5. SillyWizard says:

I like that he has a blanket.

6. Chaz says:

Oh, was he a devil worshiper then?

7. Contrafibularity says:

This looks promising (and rather beautiful though I hope it comes in more colours than this) I also love how the vision cone, fog of war and light seems to work.

8. yhancik says:

Isn’t the logo a bit Bioshockish?

9. Big Murray says:

$21,000 a month for hardly any hours, but was laid off six months ago?

Sorry to tell you this mate, but I think your co-worker’s sister might be a prostitute.

Comment on this story