Allegorical Horror: The Last Cargo

By Craig Pearson on October 7th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

I hope he's not cross.
Like Minesweeper, Tetris, and 18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul, “The Last Cargo is the result of the experience of a man exposed to the debilitating power of religious indoctrination.” It is a survival horror where the player faces the burdens of forced belief in a building built of his own faith; a ramshackle tower of creeping horrors, shadows, locked doors. It is an intriguing setting with an even more intriguing premise: the player’s imposed faith has rendered him unable to walk, so he must use a wheelchair.

After all, the best horror games prey on weaknesses, and having a character bound to a wheelchair as he has to fight off the monsters that sprout out of a crucifixion corpse (yeah, it appears to be a bit heavy-handed) definitely looks like it’d have me back-wheeling. You’ll see from the footage below that progress is slow, and the world only peeks out of the darkness through the shadows. The addition of a headtorch helps, but the batteries are a concern.

The team is currently hoping for funding over on Indiegogo. Here’s the pitch.

And here’s a bit more footage.

An atheist horror game? There’s a Greenlight page if it holds an interest for you.

, .

Top comments

1. SillyWizard says:

I like that he has a blanket.

1. Velko says:

Soooooo. Horror is the new zombies?

2. Hypnotron says:

This game looks nightmarish in a bad way. I doubt even people in wheelchairs want to play a game where their avatar is bound to one. In the sequel they’ll make us play as quadriplegics like the late Christopher Reeves or (effectively like) Stephen Hawking.

• The Random One says:

I like the wheelchair. Horror is about helplessness, and being limited in your movement would help greatly. But I don’t like the… everything else.

3. fco says:

Just the other day I was thinking someone should make an horror game in which the player’s bound to a wheelchair. Only, I was thinking of it as an Occulus Rift game, you know, as a way to avoid the inmersion-breaking moving while remaining seated.

• Syra says:

That’s a really good idea.

• Hypnotron says:

The usual solution to that is a mech, a car, an airplane…. not a wheelchair.

• The Random One says:

I was going to make a snarky remark on how weird it would be to pilot a mecha in a horror game, (thus exposing that a solution to a mechanical problem needs to fit the game’s genre), but it wouldn’t really. Imagine a game in which you’re trapped in a mecha, looking at the outside world through a closed circuit camera that often goes dark just as you hear banging on your suit. Ot even a game in which you’re trying to leave town without going out of your car due to some horrible thing that can’t break glass but can skin you in an instant.

• Behrditz says:

There actually IS a survival horror game where you pilot a mecha. Its called Space Griffon.

4. Freud says:

The graphics gave me a flashback to the ancient game Dreamweb for some reason.

5. SillyWizard says:

I like that he has a blanket.

Big Murray says:

$21,000 a month for hardly any hours, but was laid off six months ago?

Sorry to tell you this mate, but I think your co-worker’s sister might be a prostitute.

Chaz says:

Oh, was he a devil worshiper then?

8. Contrafibularity says:

This looks promising (and rather beautiful though I hope it comes in more colours than this) I also love how the vision cone, fog of war and light seems to work.

yhancik says:

Isn’t the logo a bit Bioshockish?