RPS Asks: What’s The Autumn Game You’re Waiting For?

By John Walker on October 7th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

While the publishers are no longer quite as mad as they used to be, saving almost every game ever for October or November, they still remain the biggest months in the gaming calendar. And this Autumn proffers an impressive collection of titles. So which is the one you’re most looking forward to? Where do your hopes lie for filling those long, Wintery evenings? And, come on, tell the truth – are you awaiting some Call Of Duty?

Yes, yes, you say it’s Battlefield 4 you’re after.

Also coming out in the next couple of months are the likes of LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, Batman: Arkham Origins, Football Manager 2014, World Of Warplanes, Deadfall Adventures, Need For Speed Rivals. Then there’s mammoth names like Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (eventually), and – unless there’s a delay – mid-November should see Watch Dogs. And at last, by December, South Park: The Stick Of Truth. (Looking at that, Ubi have an incredibly strong line-up this year.)

Perhaps there’s a smaller indie game you’re after? Or maybe it’s just Rocksmith 2014 that’s all you care about. Let us know what you’re most excited about this late 2013.

Picture credit: Someone35

__________________

« | »

1. Cross says:

I’m all about the Watch Dogs, personally. I shan’t be asking who let them out.

• Jim Rossignol says:

But who watches them? That’s more important.

• P.Funk says:

Best case scenario its a slightly less cool AssCreed2 because open world just doesn’t survive development these days without being on rails somewhere or extremely limited in its scope. I expect repetitive actions in varying settings, ala AssCreed. I expect the first hour or two to blow my mind and then I’ll begin to see the strings, find the invisible walls, and get into a comfy routine that doesn’t ask me to try too hard to explore new means to accomplish familiar objectives. I also expect the story to evolve predictably and for the ending to feel numbingly mid core as one expects from a AAA developer these days.

I could also be utterly surprised and find that its closer to the latest Deus Ex, but… meh I’m not holding out hope. I’m like someone who’s been through too many bad relationships. I’m planning the end before the first kiss.

2. limbclock says:

I’m waiting for Two Brothers (I helped kickstart it) and Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. Also, i’d be enthusiastic about Watch Dogs if i could afford it.

3. Seiniyta says:

Not PC but pokemon X&Y I’m super duper looking forward to. Otherwise pretty much just battlefield 4 really. I wait for watch dogs, it looks interesting but it could still suck. I’ll definitly grab the expansion to Simcity because I’m weird and love cyberpunk. Got tired of AC so nevermind that. WIll probably check CoD: Ghosts out if I can get it supercheap (which I probably can).

• Tams80 says:

Absolutely Pokémon X and Y. It’s reignited my interest in Pokémon.

As for PC games; nothing. Nothing really grabs my attention. Battlefield 4 would interest me, but my PC will definitely not be able to play it.

• SuicideKing says:

Let me know when they release Pokemon Z & AA

• Martel says:

Too bad it’s not on PC, I wouldn’t mind playing that.

4. Sandepande says:

XCOM: Enemy Within. Watch Dogs.

Hoping for a playable sneak preview of Next Car Game, but that seems unlikely.

• Bull0 says:

I’m also in the “very excited about Enemy Within” camp. ^_^

• jezcentral says:

Same here for XCOM and Watch Dogs. Also, Batman Origins, but I will be replaying (Arkham Asylum) and playing (Arkham City, finally, which I bought when it first came out) the recently de-GFWL-ed prequels first.

• Svant says:

The xcom expansion feels a bit on the expensive side if it is just a few more maps and the mech suits since the biggest problem with the game seems to go unfixed (the pointless strategy part of the game for example)

• mouton says:

Frankly, strategy layer in the original game was nothing to write home about either. It was less scripted and had a few more options but it was, in essence, quite similar. The meat of the game was always the tactical part.

5. Clavus says:

Holding hope that the DayZ Standalone alpha is going to release within the next few months. The dev said they’re in the “final sprint” a few weeks back.

Until then, I’ll probably shoot dudes in Battlefield 4.

6. Red Machine D says:

Arkham Origins, Football Manager 2014, Watch Dogs, and the next Minecraft patch.

• vivlo says:

is there anything in the next Minecraft patch worth getting excited for ?

7. Serenegoose says:

Not to be a sourpuss – this year has been a good year for me, gameswise – but the only thing really on my radar is the third witcher game, and that’s not out nearly so soon. There’s nothing else that’s a blip on my hype radar. I expect I’ll be playing the ever-more-patched but still disappointing (but not as disappointing as some found it) Rome 2, and catching up on some other games in my backlog. It’s always a good time to really dig into some natural selection, after all. And I really ought to finish planescape, after my most recent run got further than I’ve managed before. I’ve also been playing World of Tanks again.

• Inglourious Badger says:

This. None of the games listed tickle my hype glands in the slightest. I’m curious about the X:Rebirth but its very much a wait-for-the-reviews-first kinda thing. Catching up on all the games I’ve only half finished is this autumn’s goal

8. demicanadian says:

Yes, I’m so waiting for BF4. I just can’t wait to see every single pc-gaming website I know masturbating over EVERY SINGLE youtube video and screenshot from this game. Oh sweet autumn…

• LionsPhil says:

RPS has some utterly offensive dynamic abomination advertising it, with a bouncing Pong paddle oscillating back and forth saying “HOVER ON ME”, and if you dare let your mouse in the area above the article, the damn thing folds down a great big ad-panel.

Christ, I know they’ve got bills to pay, but the only way this could be more obnoxious is if it made noise. And since I don’t have my ‘phones on I’m not even sure that it doesn’t.

9. Suribot says:

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies all the way. I’ve had the $30 eshop credit from Fire Emblem/SMT IV sitting in my balance for two months now and it is waiting for Objections.

10. Stevostin says:

None of those. Expecting Ohmstudio and the new Wacom Cintiq Companion, but I guess it doesn’t count, does it? :P

Very nice screenshot thus, what game is that ?

11. SheridaH says:

Nothing for PC but I am waiting for Beyond: two souls, although I know it will probably dissapoint me..

• Cinek says:

Wow, that’s really a sad life you have there if from all of the exciting stuff that gets released you can’t pick a single game now. o_O

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

That comment says more about you than the person you replied to.

• The Random One says:

You must have a very happy life, that you can look at a release month full of Shooting/Stabbing Dudes XVII: Shoot/Stab Them Somewhat Differently and earnestly refer to them as exciting. Sometimes a tear of envy of your wistful naïveté glitters briefly under the shadow of my fedora’s brim before I swiftly wipe it away with my checkered scarf.

Or maybe I’m just sad that my rig may not be able to run watch_dogs~1.exe. It was already struggling with Saints’ Row IV.

• guygodbois00 says:

Thank you for this comment. You’ve, unintentionally, brightened my evening.
          Edit: I especially liked that “watch_dogs~1.exe”.

• Bluerps says:

I am kind of excited for that too, though I cannot really tell you why. I know it will be ridiculous – with bad characters, a plot that makes no sense and game mechanics that are just a succession of glorified QTEs – but I also know that I will enjoy it anyway. I guess, David Cage games are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. However, I don’t think I’ll buy it when it comes out, because that price is just absurd.

• Screamer says:

The fact that the reviews are being kept back till release day is concerning.

12. Bishop says:

Other than BF4 and watch dogs I’m hoping to finally release my own game this year, but with distractions like that, probably not.

13. Lars Westergren says:

Wasteland 2 is number 1. It is the first Kickstarter I am heavily emotionally invested in, so please be good. Stick of Truth, because Obsidian. XCOM: Enemy Within – MOAR!

• Horg says:

That’s coming out before the end of the year? I had no idea, don’t suppose anyone knows how or when the people who effectively pre-ordered it by backing Torment will get their copy?

• Sakkura says:

Those of us who backed Torment got screwed, no beta access for us. The beta should be launching any day now, but the final launch could be months away.

• Llewyn says:

Beta access was in the $75 tier for people who backed Wasteland 2 during its campaign. Wasteland 2 was in the $45 tier of Torment’s campaign. How exactly did you get screwed?

• FriendlyFire says:

I don’t know about you, but I’d never play a game like Wasteland or Torment in beta anyway. Story-driven games don’t fit with the idea of early access IMO. Last thing you want is to interrupt your playthrough because of unfinished dialogue, game-breaking bugs or incoherent elements that haven’t been ironed out yet.

• Werthead says:

Apparently they’re going to do an extensive beta test before final release, so on that basis I’m expecting this to slip into early 2014. I think if it was coming out in the next 2-3 months, they’d have confirmed that by now.

SHADOWRUN RETURNS: BERLIN has also slipped to January 2014.

14. Wut The Melon says:

The Stanley Parable, obviously. Easily the biggest release this Autumn.

• GoliathBro says:

Absolutely, 100% THIS.

So close now!

• Andy_Panthro says:

I saw the list of games above and figured I wasn’t too bothered, but The Stanley Parable is another matter. Loved the source mod, and I’m really interested to see what they’ve done with the full release. It shall be a rare day one purchase for me.

15. melnificent says:

Not a game, but surface pro drivers to stop the annoying left corner glitch with the pen.

And I’m getting my rift soon, so something compatible and good.

16. khomotso says:

Wasteland 2 beta, DayZ alpha, and XCOM: EW expansion.

Only full release on my list would be Arkham Origins.

17. Koshinator says:

X: Rebirth, Watch Dogs, Batman are the 3 i’m most interested in coming up – those and any games that support the Rift :)

• Wisq says:

Yeah, I’ll say X: Rebirth and Watch Dogs as well. Not so much Batman.

Mind you, my enthusiasm for Watch Dogs has been tempered somewhat by Ubisoft’s statement that they plan on turning it into a franchise of AssCreed proportions. But, as long as they have satisfying conclusions to each game, I’ll be relatively okay with that, even if I may stop at some point as I have with AC.

I was going to say Dead State, which was saying December 2013 for a time, but they pushed it back to March 2014. :(

Oh right, and Xenonauts and Starbound, assuming either of them arrive this year.

Incognita is already looking pretty decent. No idea when they plan to release, but since we already have early access available, I can still look forward to playing it this autumn, as they add new features.

Zero interest in the XCOM expansion because I don’t believe Firaxis even understands what they did wrong with the first game, let alone has any intention to fix it. But hey, I guess some people still enjoy it, so good on you. Hopefully Xenonauts turns out well and we can both be having fun.

• Martel says:

Rebirth is probably top of my list as well.

18. Fomorian1988 says:

Definitely Blackwell Epiphany.

• DrManhatten says:

Major kudos for mentioning Blackwell series. Didn’t know there was a five one due this year. cool!

19. Mortomes says:

Meatsteak Kahoona trade empire 2013, also known as X: Rebirth

• phelix says:

Heathen! Everyone knows silicon wafers are the way to be.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Can you set up an Intergalactic Smokey Bacon crisps trade empire? What about Skips (not the yellow things for putting rubbish in, I mean the Prawny tongue fizzlers)?

• onyhow says:

Computer chip or bust I tell ya!

• cpmartins says:

I have about 100 1MW shield fabs all over, making me a neat 10 mil per game hour.X Rebirth for me as well, if that wasn’t clear from my previous sentence.

20. bongosabbath says:

Really, really hoping for Black Annex and Death Road to Canada. Other than that… well, Watch Dogs does look neat. *goes back to playing Rogue Legacy*

• jonahcutter says:

I’m right there with you on Death Road to Canada.

Black Annex though, came across as pretty bland in the video I saw.

21. trindermon says:

X rebirth for me, nothing else interests me that much. Watchdogs might be ok.

22. Anthile says:

What kind of question is that? Deadly Premonition, obviously.

• tumbleworld says:

That’s the big one — right Zach?

None of the games on John’s list are particularly exciting — Watch Dogs and Stick of Truth might turn out to be good, but I’m very cautious at this point. Been burnt by AAA way too much in the last couple of years to have any faith left.

But there’s also The Stanley Parable coming soon and, hopefully, the next release of Dwarf Fortress. I’d be very interested to try WoW:Hearthfire, Pokemon X & Y look very tempting as well — dammit, need a 3DS! — and then there’s the Wasteland 2 beta… so lots of good stuff on the horizon, it’s just not the big box games.

23. Cheesenium says:

Pretty much Enemies Within as i loved 2012′s XCOM Enemies Unknown. Hopefully base defense will be in the game this time and hopefully, i have to consider where i put my facilities in the base now.

And strangely, for the first time, a CoD that caught my attention, Call of Duty Ghost with the new Squads mode sounds intriguing where it is essentially offline multiplayer mode with bots that is playable offline and solo. Without all the noisy 12 years old over the VOIP or selfish campers. The other thing that caught my attention the most was the Wargame in Squad mode where you get to choose load out for each of your 4 bot controlled soldiers where they can be a run and gun soldier with SMG or a camping sniper with a sniper rifle that is vaguely similar to the older Rainbow 6 games where you choose your load out for your squad mates before a match. Despite MW3 is mostly shit, I still enjoyed the Spec Ops Survival mode that is also returning in Ghost’s Squad mode, with new features like AI squad mates and also upped player count from 2 to 4. Squad mode sounds amazing on paper so I’ll be watching on how Ghost turn out after release before buying it because I still dont have much faith in Infinity Ward after CoD4.

24. Blaaaaaaag says:

Dayz standalone alpha is my most wanted, so hopefully that releases soonish. I’m also excited for the Arkham City with GFMFPOSWL patched out, so I can finish it and maybe try Origins.

25. Ocki says:

I’m really looking forward to The Wolf Among Us. Hopefully it will reach the quality of TWD. And Ace Attorney 5. (and perhaps Pokemon…)

• colossalstrikepackage says:

This. So much this. But it all boils down to story with the telltale guys. I’m hoping they make an average comic into a great game. Again. A tearjerker would be massively welcome.

26. Tom De Roeck says:

Splash Damage Batman 2v3v3 multiplayer.

27. Phinor says:

If I had to say one, I’d go with Arkham Origins. There’s half a dozen good contenders though, Enemy Within and South park to mention a few. Battlefield 4 is very much on the list as well but the beta is still unplayable (for me) so that’s not a good sign at all.

28. Mr.Snowy says:

Neither CoD not Battlefield are on my radar, I get all the shooty goodness I require from Planetside 2 tyvm.

Watch Dogs I am interested in, but will be waiting for reviews. Same goes for Arkham Oranges, although in fairness if I need more Batman then I could just go back to Arkham City, never got past about the 40% mark there.

Rocksmith 2014 I have on pre-order, the AI jam option on that looks awesome and will hopefully make geetar practice a lot more fun.

Other goodies on my horizon are hopefully the Starbound beta launch, but most of all I want more patches for Prison Architect (which has nearly 50 hours racked up on it now, and that’s just since the Steam release). I want the electric chair active, so that I can stop railing against the ‘unsolved murders’ in my prison. “It isn’t unsolved, it was him, right there, I saw him do it! To Old Sparky, I demand it!”

29. Atic Atac says:

X Rebirth looks awesome

• phelix says:

Seconded, thirded and fourthed, even if november seems a bit too winterey for autumn.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Me too. I am new to 4X type games, and only recently really got into RTS’s. Following loving the demos, I have Homeworld 1 and 2 in the post. X-Rebirth just looks incredible and may scratch my I Want To Be In Space (but not with multiplayer plonkers) itch that I’ve had for a few decades.

• AshRolls says:

Very much X Rebirth, I’m really looking forward to this one. I’m hoping for some in depth coverage of it from RPS.

Also RPS are being very good at covering ‘Limit Theory’, which has my long term space excitement levels at uncontrollable SPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I too am now looking forward to Limit Theory. Cheers.

• Stardreamer says:

Oh for Limit Theory to be releasing this Autumn.

I now have a glum. :(

• ibminarik says:

Not sure how anyone could remember that there are other games coming out with that beauty hogging the horizon.

• TheIronSky says:

Quite. As does Watch_Dogs. And I can’t help buy pray for a GTA5 PC announcement this year (maybe around Christmas, with a release in Q2 2014?)

30. Volcanu says:

The eagerly awaited Train Simulator DLC: “Leaves on the Line”

• CookPassBabtridge says:

And the DLC Season Pass, which went up by £60 and doesn’t actually make any of the trains go quicker.
      Brothers of British Rail Sufferance, I salute you.

31. Text_Fish says:

Ecstatica III.

32. pertusaria says:

I’m looking forward to Knock, Knock and Democracy 3, but like many others, I could live off my backlog for years at this stage. I’m still “looking forward to” games I bought last Christmas.

33. Paul.Power says:

Hopefully, the PC version of Small World, which I helped to Kickstart back in April. That may come in winter, though.

X-COM Enemy Within, though I keep reminding myself that I really should finish my current game of Enemy Unknown before that rolls around.

Maybe The Stanley Parable?

• bills6693 says:

NO, DON’T DO IT!

As in, don’t finish off EU. I’d say the first playthrough was by far the most magical, and I think it is better to save (at least part) of it for when EW is added.

And you can always go back and load up your current playthrough after you’ve completed the EW one to see how it is in the original :P but I’d just wait it out and play through with the expansion, first time round.

34. BreadBitten says:

I would say Watch Dogs, but with Saints Row 4 and GTA5 I think I’ve had my fill of open world games for this year; so South Park: The Stick of Truth it is!

35. PoulWrist says:

Battlefield 4, I guess. It’s really the only one I know is coming out in the next month :p

36. welverin says:

Tearaway, Beyond, Enemy Within, and South Park.

Assassin’s Creed 4 and Watch Dogs are maybe eventuallies.

37. Kakrafoon says:

XCOM: Enemy Within. A full new toy box for my favourite turn-based tactics game? I can’t get enough of Firaxis-type expansions.

38. lordfrikk says:

Arkham Origins by far, here’s hoping it will be at least as good as the previous games.

39. zeekthegeek says:

Gonna try to pick up the RimWorld pre-alpha pretty soon before the kickstarter ends. Watch Dogs looks..interesting but I’m not sold yet. Need to finish GTAV on the console toy box and get some time in on the multiplayer with the console player friends. The Wolf Among Us will surely find it’s way into my life due to the quality of the Vanaman/Rodkin writing team.

40. Grey Cap says:

Contrast, the platformer with the amazing art style and lovely sound. I wish I enjoyed platformers, but maybe this is the game to teach me.

Also XCOM Enemy Within. That’s going to be a good one.

41. Lobotomist says:

Wasteland , Starbound , Unity 4.3 (2D version)

• neolith says:

Starbound and Unity for me, too. :)

I’d also be interested in BF if it wasn’t for Origin.

42. mf says:

X Rebirth only for this year. The only thing that could be possibly better than XR is DarkSouls 2 but thats 2014.

43. Mud says:

hmm ….. I have to think to long what game I’ll be waiting for and nothing comes up to mind

44. newguy2012 says:

Wasteland 2 for me.

45. Low Life says:

I came here thinking only of Deadly Premonition, but after reading the other comments I realized that I’ll also be getting XCOM: Enemy Within for my second XCOM playthrough and the new Ace Attorney game (likely the first 3DS game I’ll be playing for longer than 2 hours since I bought my 3DS a year ago). Maybe South Park? Then there’s the new Telltale game, if that gets some buzz I might grab it.

46. kevinspell says:

After trying BF4 Beta, nothing really. I’ll see what will the reviewers say about The Stick of Truth, Watch Dogs and Arkham Origins. But I’m not expecting anything amazing there.

Only game that comes to my mind when I ask myself that question is the Carmageddon Reincarnation Early Access. But that will not come until Q1 2014.

47. Mechorpheus says:

Probably BF3.5….. sorry I mean BF4. I can’t be the only one thinking that though, based on the beta at least. I recall a glorious time when they used to be able to release these things called ‘expansion packs’ where you could take a really fun game and give it a good chunk of new content or some new exciting features to bring some new life to it, rather than doing exactly the same thing, calling it a sequal and adding 60% to the price tag (Crytek, I’m looking at you as well). Maybe XCOM: Enemy Within will re-start this particular trend, who knows?

Otherwise, maybe Batman, although I’m interested in how the new devs are handling the licence.

48. Ninja Dodo says:

I’m replaying Mass Effect with some of the DLC I missed the first time and going to have a run through Dark Souls. I’ll probably pick up the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director’s Cut if it’s DLC and not a full price new game, otherwise I’ll wait. Also might get X-Com after having tried the free weekend.

Looking forward to Witcher 3, Batman Oranges, Assassin’s IV Black Flag, Watch Dogs but in no rush to play them on release. Well, maybe Witcher 3. Still a bit fatigued on the Sassins but I liked the naval battles in 3.

49. Niko says:

Wasteland 2, Arkham Oranges and “I don’t remember what else but there certainly was something” is what I’m waiting for. A little less irrelevant, but regarding South Park and videogames: the new episode of SP is about Minecraft, among other things.

50. sophof says:

Very litle surprisingly enough. I doubt the XCOM DLC will add enough for me to get interested (I rarely buy DLC) and BF4 looks too much like BF3 for my tastes, in the sense that it’ll probably contain the same nagging small details that in the end drove me and my friends away from BF3. In my opinion the game holds a lot of promise, but it appears the developers/publishers are too keen on copying CoD instead of playing on their strengths.

• Werthead says:

ENEMY WITHIN is a proper expansion, not a DLC. It’s even getting a separate boxed release for consoles.

I initially thought the feature set looked a little underwhelming for the price, but a look at the achievements indicates that there’s a LOT more going on in it than what has been officially announced so far. There are indications of humans joining the aliens and possibly base invasions (though, unless I’ve gone blind, that achievement has disappeared since it was first announced).

It would be nice if Firaxis could confirm some of this, because so far the differences – a couple of new weapons, a couple of new enemies and the Meld mechanic – seem somewhat underwhelming. The only confirmed thing so far that sounds really good are the 40 new maps, but some are suggesting this might be 10 new maps mirrored twice each, which would be lame.