Spelunking Fun: Pixeljunk Shooter Comes To PC

By Craig Pearson on October 7th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

What happens when you pour water over lava? You get steam. I think when Q-Games’ Pixeljunk Shooter came out for the PS3 in 2009, where the player manipulates the levels using molten rock, water, and a magnetic fluid that I’m going to call “Polly”, they were dropping a hint that it would eventually end-up on Steam. I told no-one of this supposition, but now I wish I had. The gloopy game of fluid dynamics is landing on the PC in November, and I would have looked amazing.

I remember seeing it back when it was first announced and cursing at the exclusivity. It’s one thing to be exclusive for technical reasons, but quite another to be that way just because. The PC could easily handle the glorpy challenges that the 2D puzzle shooter has. I wanted to slosh and spill with friends as we attempted to rescue the spelunking scientists from their predicaments. You can watch that first trailer below and know that come November 11th, you’ll be able to do just that.

Here’s an interesting thing that I keep meaning to note: It’s coming to PC, Mac, and Linux, and I’m seeing a lot of games making a point of their Mac and Linux conversions. Are conversions getting easier, has Valve suggested that they might all want to plan ahead?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Alien426 says:

I’m excited about his, too.
    It is ported by an outside (of Q-Games, that is) company called Double Eleven, so I have hopes of getting other Sony games as well.

2. siliciferous says:

This is great to hear (obligatory IT TOOK THEM LONG ENOUGH!) Do we know if both PixelJunk Shooter 1 and 2 are going to come to the PC, or is it just the first of the duo for now?

3. Moraven says:

Great game. Great local co-op.

Also don’t forget to grab Pixeljunk Monsters, probably the best co-op Tower Defense game out there.

• InternetBatman says:

I really loved Pixel Junk Eden, but was very annoyed by the time mechanic. Did they repeat that mistake or add any other arbitrary limitations to this game?

• Schaap says:

Nope, except for I think two “run from the lava” levels it’s all at your own pace. Just flying around a little, playing with the fluids, trying to find the hidden diamonds. I absolutely love it and its leisurely pace.

I didn’t really like the sequel though. The environments are much more hostile, with poisonous walls and darkness and what have you harshing the buzz.

• RobF says:

Yeah, Shooter 2 manages to bum the formula up a bit in true Pixeljunk style but the first manages to stay the course at quite a nice pace in the main without doing anything stupid.

4. Roenie says:

“What happens when you pour water over lava? You get steam.”
    Valve are now kicking themselves.

5. InternetBatman says:

From what I understand, conversions are getting much easier. Valve hired Ryan Gordon (Icculus) and Sam Latinga to seriously work on SDL, a platform agnostic tool. They released 2.0 in July. Then there’s Unity, which makes things much easier in its own right.

Finally there’s the hardware itself, which can just brute force almost any problem a non-AAA game can have. Wine wrappers might cause a performance hit, but who cares in an era when five year old PCs can play almost everything on the market and PCs will surpass the new consoles at a price/performance ratio within a year or two of release?

On the other hand, Valve has not exactly made its linux plans a secret.

6. ulix says:

As I’ve said in another thread: this was the best indie-game of 2009. Regardless of platform.

And make no mistake: this isn’t a SHMUP. It’s not even a twin stick-shooter, even though it controls like one.
    It’s a physics-puzzler with shooting-elements. And shooting elements. The second one is more of a shooter, which is a shame.

7. The Random One says:

This is good news, more so because we’re finally getting a PS3 indie exclusive on PC. Maybe now Sony will also relax their iron grip on Journey, Flower, The Unfinished Swan et al.

• ulix says:

They won’t. The contract they have with ThatGameCompany prohibits it ever coming out on PC. At least that’s what I imagine. Read a few interviews with the people involved, and you’ll agree.

Also, we got plenty of former PS3 exclusives on PC already. PixelJunk Eden, Guacamelee, Shank, Joe Danger, Dyad…

Unfinished Swan and other games like Rain, Tokyo Jungle, Fat Princess and Sound Shapes will most likely never come to PC, because they were actually co-developed by Sony. The PixelJunk games weren’t.

• welverin says:

Yeah, there’s a difference between games where the developer had a publishing contract (like a lot of the XBLA games that eventually migrate) and games that Sony outright owns (Journey, Flower, and the rest in your last paragraph).

• The Random One says:

:-(

The worst part is that now that the PS3 is being retired so the exclusivity will do no more good to Sony, and the devs will only be able to profit from people being way late to the console party (of which I believe there are lots, frankly).

8. PopeRatzo says:

I don’t know about Pixeljunk Shooter, but Pixeljunk Eden was a blast. Meditative, calming, invigorating.

That’s all I know about “Pixeljunk”, so based on that I’d give this game a try.

Comment on this story