Step Up: Path Of Exile Finally Launches

By Craig Pearson on October 7th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The journey along ARPG Path of Exile’s beta has been a slippery one. It hasn’t been salted, and no-one was around to prune the thorn bushes at the side. Repeated warnings from the Local Council of Blood and a visit from their emissaries, the feared Health & Safety of Ruin, proved ineffective. A meeting was called, in which the Neighbourhood Representatives of Anger unanimously decided to send in the Handyman of Pissed Off to fix things. The owners of the Path of Exile will be receiving an invoice, written in Jubjub blood, signed by the Coven of Claws, and notorised by Kevin. And with that work completed, all that’s left is to open the Path of Exile fully, which is what will be happening at the end of the month

So, yeah. Grinding Gear’s take on the action RPG goes properly, really, truly live on October 23rd. Not fake live like the closed and open betas it’s been running for the past year. The full game will add a new prestige character class called the Scion, a female character available to those who’ve completed the game once. She can toss ghostly weapons. There will also be new gems, new areas to loot, and some additional bosses.

There is no release trailer(ah, Gametrailers have the exclusive trailer), but I found a pretty interesting video showing the game’s inception. Let’s step into the wibbly wobbly time machine and see what it looked like five years ago.

Soon we will truly find out if it is excile-ent, or path-etic.

Thanks Shacknews.

, , .

Top comments

golem09 says:

“There is no release trailer”

It’s right here:

daphne says:

There is a release trailer, but it is fortuitous that you did not embed it here. As far as release trailers go, it does a pretty poor job at showcasing the game’s (many) strengths to new players — specifically, it does not, and instead focuses on the new class.

There’s actually another trailer coming up in the following days.

golem09 says:

“There is no release trailer”

It’s right here:

3. Carighan Maconar says:

I remember the hype about PoE back then when the beta opened. Since then, I haven’t heard of it again. Everyone I know who was raving about it (and it was a lot of people) stopped. Now I know exactly no one who still plays it. :S

Weird. I wonder what happened. I never had time to try the game much, I only remember a *very* floaty combat system lacking impact.

• Exxar says:

I don’t know about the general awareness for the game on the interwebz, but as a regular player since closed beta I can say that the community is as vibrant as ever. The development itself is proceeding at a pace I haven’t seen in any other online game. Yes, it’s still in beta so that’s kinda expected, but they don’t plan on slowing down once it’s “released”.

• UncleLou says:

“Hype” is a pretty strong word. I would say it had and has an excellent reputation in certain circles, and generated a decent amount of word of mouth propaganda, but it is still very much an unknown game. The problem is, the content is limited (as with every game), and only a tiny minority will play such games for years. So it might well be that the people you know enjoyed the game a lot since the open beta, but are now simply through with the game? Although the community seems to be doing well, from what I can tell.

Personally, I can’t recommend it enough, and it’s my favourite of the recent “serious” ARPGs (with D3 being a close second, and Torchlight 2 a very distant third).

4. derbefrier says:

Game is awesome. Can’t wait for patch.

5. Yosharian says:

Did they fix the crappy sync problems yet? The only thing really preventing this game from being excellent. I mean it’s not the Second Coming of videogaming, but it’s neat.

BTW it’s really fucking annoying that my posts keep being thrown out as spam, I mean shit, can’t even use the word D I A B L O without being marked as spam

6. Loque says:

I liked the beta, it’s a great game. But… be prepared to face the horde of spammers when you want to buy/sell stuff. The only wa to do so is by using the chat. Enough said, the chat tool is a spam massacre.

• Artificial says:

If only it had some sort of auction house where you can buy and sell things with players. Could even let people buy and sell with real money too, it’d make it a bit more exciting.

7. Niko says:

I’d like to see a similar ARPG game, but without tons of loot, where the Skinner Box isn’t so obvious, at least. Something Blade & Sword tried to do.

• Moraven says:

The Snowblind games on console were always pretty solid and not as emphasize on loot but the game. I guess PC got War of the North, not their strongest game but solid.

8. aliksy says:

I thought it was okay. Progression was kind of slow, and it was too obvious I was just killing monsters in order to kill bigger monsters. The core gameplay wasn’t fun enough (for me) that I wanted to kill monsters for its own sake.

• Roenie says:

Action RPGs pretty much all invoke a feeling of pointlessness in me. It does look like you haven’t played PoE enough to discover that it’s all about inventing character builds. That is the core of the game, not the killing of monsters itself.

9. RProxyOnly says:

I paid £10 for beta access and had a blast. It’s a far better D3 than D3 itself.

I have no idea if I still have access to it.. I’ll have to check that out…. but it’s well recommended anyway.

• Nurdell says:

They went open beta in the end of january. The wipe that happened that time reset all characters to level 1, and you’ll get all the microtransactions/coins you paid for. I bought a 15$ pack with soundtrack and wasn’t disappointed – the music is ambient and keeps me focused. That said, now they give less value for 5$ pack and more for those on the higher end of spectrum.
      They kind of wanted to release on steam, at least there were some whispers about it in the community. But shush. I haven’t tell you anything.

10. Roenie says:

PoE is a character building game. It’s ALL about coming up with an insanely strong or interesting mix of character passive skills, active skills, gear, the sockets and gems in your gear, magic flasks (potions) and so on. You plan all these aspects of the character before you even create it. The challenge is to get all these things to have perfect synergy. You can even make seemingly strange and counterintuitive choices (e.g. always be low on HP as a strategy) as long as you use the benefits to their fullest. PoE offers lots of very in depth mechanics to let you invent characters. If you don’t like daydreaming about possible new combinations to create new characters, PoE isn’t going to hold your attention in the long term. The world in itself isn’t one to keep you entertained in the long run and you’ll be punished for not carefully planning your character build. Yes there is an ingenious, addictive (RNG aspects) crafting system and there’s social interaction and so to keep you entertained at first but in the long run, it will be all about the character builds.

• Roenie says:

It is these in depth mechanics, interesting item mods and the ingenious currency/crafting system that make PoE much more interesting than, say, D3 and most (if not all) other action RPGs I’ve played. D3 pales in comparison, but has smoother, more fluid feeling combat….and not much else.

• Nurdell says:

I’ve once went to POE wiki to read about game mechanics – damage, absorbtion, reduction, evasion and so on. And they turned out to be simple enough to make sense.

• Moraven says:

So, I can easily gimp my character? Always the problem I have found with older ARPG systems.

• Roenie says:

There are no bad active skills to invest in like in D2 and such, because the skills come from gems in item sockets you can freely move around or swap out. The passive skill tree is where one can fail because it requires considerable thought. There’s no gimped “skills” in it, but you will be stronger if you choose a combination that makes sense for your character – did you find a good balance of defence and offence and specialize in a way that makes sense and optimizes your invested points or did you just randomly make a jack of all trades, master of none.

The designers of the best builds tend to be very intelligent people that are well informed regarding the game’s mechanics, items and possibilities/combinations they might offer. Still, it’s very doable to do a reasonable build with a little bit of experience. Your first playthrough is going to be a learning process so don’t expect to make the build of the century right away.

• Sheng-ji says:

It would be nice to be able to see other peoples builds in an information bar like in DOTA, that tree is intimidating.

11. kool says:

It’s a great game, played it a lot earlier this year and i loved it. At least back then it had a pretty vibrant community on twitch tv of people streaming their races and such, and it was fun to watch as well as participating in the races yourself.
    I was hoping for there to be a new act ready for the actual release of the game though, that’s basically what i’m waiting for to make me return to the game, so i’m not really that excited about this, but it’s sure worth a try for anyone else who havent tried it or left it a long time ago.

12. Roenie says:

Does anyone know if they fixed the fps drops in full parties, yet? (e.g. full party in the Docks)

Faldrath says:

It blows the competition out of the water – a much, much better game than D3 or Torchlight II. Very interesting loot and skill system, a very pretty and dark game, great music, the action feels right.

It does have a couple of unfortunate design decisions: an old-school approach to respecs (namely, they’re extremely expensive in later levels so if you find out you really screwed your build, it’s often better to re-roll than to respec), and the chat-based trade system leads to incredible spam and an unhealthy atmosphere regarding trade.

It’s also something of a slow burner – early levels can be rather dull, but once your build starts to work and you get the right gear and skills, it becomes an incredible ARPG. It’s also a shining example of free to play done right, and the devs always keep in touch with the fanbase and have been adding new features almost weekly.

Also, there’ll be no reset once beta ends, so there’s no real reason to wait until the official release (which will have a ton of new content) if you want to try it.

14. Lemming says:

I’ve not really paid much heed to Path of Exile and I keep getting it mixed up with Grim Dawn, which I’m much more interested in.

15. Lagwolf says:

PoE is not better than Torchlight II, they are different sorts of games. PoE didn’t really keep my interested after I played the beta for quite a bit. Sometimes I think it is being “hard-core” for the sake of being “hard-core”.

• derbefrier says:

Whatever that means.

• Baines says:

Torchlight II doesn’t really keep interest either, though. Game design is just too flawed (lifeless overworld, boring enemies, boring enchantment system, poorly designed damage system, unbalanced skills, controls not really designed for the number of enemies you face, etc) and modding can’t really fix some of its underlying problems.

Strangely enough, it is the console port of D–blo 3 that has my interest at the moment. It fixed the always online requirement, removed the auction house, changed the drop system, has four player local co-op, and works fairly well on a controller. There are a few things I’d do differently (like retooling the UI for splitscreen multiplayer), but it works.

• Roenie says:

I don’t get why you like D3 that much. I got so bored with D3 so quickly, because it lacks any interesting gameplay mechanics. It’s only the superficial monster bashing, it has nothing else to offer except checking DPS numbers on weapons and picking the one with the highest number. Yawn. After PoE I can’t go back to that.

Torchlight doesn’t do it for me either, too casual.

• Baines says:

I wasn’t a fan of D3 on PC.

One big thing is that I think that mouse move+aim is not suited for these styles of games, particularly as they become more action focused.

In Torchlight II, half my deaths were because mouse move+aim made it difficult to dodge an attack, or caused me to run out of my aura zone, or run into a danger zone, or whatever. Playing the mediocre-to-bad Greed: Black Border, I was struck by how much easier it would have been to navigate with pure WASD movement and only use the mouse for aiming. (G:BB had WASD dodging, but stuck so many limitations on it that it was rendered useless even as a dodge mechanic.)

D3 console seems to have embraced the game pad, and it works. I’ll tire of it eventually, because it is still D3 underneath, but I can only hope that some of the other PC games of the same style try something besides mouse move+aim.

16. Nuka says:

No Steam no play!

17. Gothos says:

It’s really weird it wasn’t mentioned that it’s coming to Steam, too, on the day of the release.

18. Roenie says:

Why do we have to deal with that super annoying triple captcha at signup, if THIS is the end result anyway?

• Mctittles says:

Automated bots aren’t the only thing that posts spam. As we speak there are thousands of people in cubicles signing up for accounts and posting spam manually as part of their job. Companies that sell “increase your page rank” etc hire them.

19. Midnite says:

The biggest issue I have with PoE is that they refuse to deal with “De-syncing” issues. Other than that, it’s an awesome game. Like someone mentioned earlier, it’s free-to-play done right.

20. mouton says:

I loved playing PoE for a while. It has superb atmosphere and music.

But I am just not built for ARPGs. I just can’t keep playing and playing killing the same mobs for a year. Sigh.