F1 2013′s Kitten-Free Launch Trailer

By Craig Pearson on October 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

I am outraged. At the beginning of this F1 2013 launch trailer, celebrating the launch of the game about cars that sound like angry chainsaws, they had a list of quotes about the game from various media outlets. I usually don’t care if a thing I wrote is used, and I mostly write nonsense so it would be a brave marketing dept who’d mine my words for commercial purposes, but they had the perfect opportunity here to do something special with my previous coverage. It could have gone: “Blah blah blah!” – GamesRadar, *PHOTOGRAPH OF JOHN’S KITTEN*, “Blah blah smeh!” – Videogamer. Instead they have words and cars and not a hint of a Lucy Hermione Merida Katniss Walker*.

F1 is now out. Are you excited? Thrrrrrrillleddd? The word on the street (well, Eurogamer) is that it’s very much an incremental update and that the Classics mode, an injection of seasons and cars from the 80s, almost makes it worth buying if you have the previous title. I trust Mike on F1 type things because he has a steering wheel.

What’s more important is how Lucy took the news when we told her she wasn’t in the trailer. Brace yourself: you’ve never seen a sadder kitten.

We also told her Santa isn't real.

*My unofficial name for her.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. akstro says:

What have they done to her? The monsters :(

• leokhorn says:

Good god… the tooltip on the picture just nailed the coffin, too. How could you?!

• slerbal says:

Sad kitteh is sad :(

• Sigh says:

Goddamn you should have used a SPOILER WARNING. I had to find this out from some random RPS commenter!

2. MeestaNob says:

I think I just tried to hug my monitor and tell it everything was going to be fine. Dawwww.

Anyway, it would be nice if Codemasters offered their customers an opportunity to purchase this at a reduced price if they own one of the previous games, especially the GFWL infested ones which will break soon.

• Optimaximal says:

Why should they? Not even friendly companies like CD Projekt or Valve offer you discounts on their latest releases if you happen to own deprecated/previous games.

• YogSo says:

On the other hand, CD Projekt did offer the Enhanced Edition for free to owners of The Witcher 1 (same with the corresponding Edition of The Witcher 2). I’m not saying F1 2013 is just an enhanced edition of F1 2012 or 2011, but… Quoting the article: <<The word on the street (well, Eurogamer) is that it’s very much an incremental update and that the Classics mode, an injection of seasons and cars from the 80s, almost makes it worth buying if you have the previous title>> (emphasis mine)

3. Scythe says:

Does anyone have a gauge on how far along the arcade sim spectrum this game lies? I’d like to find my dad an F1 racing game, since we played a lot of them together when I was a kid, but I don’t want to recommend something that won’t satisfy the F1 nerd in him.

• Mechorpheus says:

It’s far more simulation than arcade. You have a good amount of control over the assists, but you can go crazy adjusting everything on the car too. It’s a hard game though.

• Phinor says:

Hardcore sim racers will state that it’s complete arcade but as I’m only a sim racer, not hardcore, I’d say the game is far more simulation than arcade. That being said, I wouldn’t call it a sim racing game in the same vein as games like iRacing or rFactor. Actually I’d say it’s close to Forza series. Drivable by most people if you put any effort into it. The simulation comes from the fact that these games are at least trying to present how real life cars would likely behave even if they don’t simulate every little detail.

As for F1 racing, F1 2013 is perhaps closer to how an actual F1 event happens than any other game. There’s DRS, Kers, safety cars, practice, qualifying, warnings for reckless driving, all that stuff. Also the AI is smarter this year so the racing simply feels authentic, cars passing each other using DRS and so on. The one problem the game still has is the fact that there’s only five (iirc) AI difficulty levels. There are scenarios where you might be too fast for one AI level, but too slow for the next level. Also the hardest difficulty is still too easy for the fastest people. If only they offered the same option as gMotor engine games do, difficulty slider with 1% increments.

• Sheng-ji says:

I’m one of those hardcore sim racer peoples and I have to say that everything Phinor said was accurate – It’s never hardcore enough for my tastes but I do recognise that my tastes are not representative of your average punter interested in a f1 sim game. I think likening it to forza is perfect, you can make it feel like project gotham if you turn all the aids on and go for a blast, turn them off and you’ll be in for a challenge. The bugbear of the series is and always has been the AI, though this year it is the best it has ever been.

• Claidheamh says:

It’s somewhere between SimBin’s stuff and GRID. Not quite a racing sim, but not entirely arcade either. It has a few gamey features that work really well (I’m thinking of the flashback system and the like), but the car setup options are still the same as in the previous Codemasters F1 games, which is to say very limited. That said, and although it’s not quite a racing sim, the 90′s and 80′s cars are quite fun. And that classic Estoril track is still amazing as ever.

• Scythe says:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll pick it up on a sale.

4. Commander Gun says:

If the game is going to be half as boring as the 2nd part of this season (The Vettel show basically), i pass thanks. In something mildly related, if you’re a F1 fan, check out Rush. I found it a very amusing movie tbh :)

• Tams80 says:

As great a driver as Vettel is, the car does play a major part. I haven’t played any of Codemaster’s racing games, but if the Red Bulls, Ferraris and the occasional Lotus are almost always at the front, then it would just be boring. Sometimes going the sim route can be boring, because the real life version is boring. In short; I hope there is some game there.

As for Rush; it’s a fun watch. I’m sure there are some people who would/have picked it apart, but I just sat and enjoyed it.

5. lowprices says:

Sorry Codies, I was considering getting this years F1 game, but then you made a kitten sad. Shame on you.

6. Optimaximal says:

Of course, Craig has failed to mention that moments after he took that picture, Lucy probably attempted to maul the camera.

Apparently, she’s a wrong’un!

7. Koozer says:

The internet is weird for people immune to cats.

8. YogSo says:

…Hermione Merida Katniss…

I take from this that you are into redheads, Craig?

9. TechnicalBen says:

What?! I want my money back Craig. This article does not contain any F1 Kittens at all.
    (Very under the radar joke there. All you cat breeders must be giggling right now. No? I’ll get me coat then.)

10. chabuhi says:

Probably best to put Lucy down, John. They rarely recover from such trauma.