Undo The Undead: Rebuild: Gangs Of Deadsville

By Craig Pearson on October 8th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

I recently bought a decent phone (a shiny Samsung s4), so I spend about an hour a day looking for interesting things to install on it. Many many Google searches later and I’m now familiar with Sarah Northway’s Rebuild series, a game of post-apocalyptic world-building that mobile gamers seem to love. It’s a turn-based strategy game where the survivors of an undead uprising begin to build out from their base, reclaiming the area surrounding their protective cordon one building at a time. It’s pitched as Sim City meets The Walking Dead, with the city’s expansion bringing personal stories of survival and adventure to your little gang of un-undeads. The Kickstarter pitch is on the other side of this here protective link. Dare you go on?

You are very brave! You are just the type to led this human expansion back into the world. You decide everything about the city’s expansion: where to farm, where to shore defenses, all the research and training. That’s while dealing with sickness, wild animals, and the crazed fringes of humanity that remain and have turned into gangs with whom you can trade or go to war. There is also the undead.

Crucially, to own the game only costs $10 Canadian. And you can test out the previous version over at Kongregate.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Luringen says:

Really liked the previous games, will probably play it on my phone as the turn-based mechanic (select actions to do, click next day) works well for short gaming sessions on the bus.

2. realitysconcierge says:

Consequentially, if you’re looking for more games Craig, this video has an excellent list of the gems for android.

• Gap Gen says:

Cool, will check that out later; it’s quite hard to find gems amongst the F2P scams and endless tower defence clones on the Play store.

• Frank says:

I’ve never much cared about graphics on my PC and I’m certainly not going to start with my battery-limited, smaller-screened devices. Maybe those are okay for a tablet…

For my phone, I like Knizia’s games, some lawyer-em-up (forgot the name), and various puzzle games.

• KDR_11k says:

If you’re looking more for something quick and turn based there are the Trese Brothers games. Most notably there’s Star Trader RPG, basically pirates (in this case called Rogue Traders though) in space with a setting that’s a mixture of WH40k and Dune. In the same setting there’s Templar Assault which is basically Space Hulk though the game rules seem more designed around its digital nature (hitpoints, experience gains for the squad, more classes, etc). Since there’s practically no animation in these games you can play turns very quickly but there’s a lot of content and they are still constantly getting updates with additional ships and such.

• Niko says:

There’s been some good games in both Humble Android Bundles.

3. kozzy68 says:

I got new phone too and Iv been searching for some good games last 2 weeks and not heard of this one. How much does it cost to get articles like this to RPS ? I was walking street and DVD with this cool game fall from the balcony on my head so I give it a try and had to write how cool is it ….

• bills6693 says:

Bit cynical? This story is linking to a kickstarter, which is for a game which will be on Steam and DRM free on windows and mac, as well as mobile devices. Not the first to target these platforms. (I’m looking at you Godus & Star Command)

4. mwoody says:

Oh wow, I played the first one and enjoyed it a lot, simple flash game that it was. Had no idea it had continued.

Glad to hear this is on Windows, too, as I’ve found I’ve no patience for mobile phone gaming. Kairosoft games are probably the best I’ve run across, but even they get old after a while.

5. armchaircowboys says:

That backpack .. is totally a face. Eerie.

6. Max Planck says:

ROCK, PAPER, SHOTGUN
    Phone gaming since 1873.

7. The Random One says:

Huh. I’d been thinking lately about how no one had ever done a post-apocalyptic 4X/city builder, repairing or repurposing structures rather than building them. Little did I know they weren’t my thoughts, they were being beamed into my brain by Northway’s psychic advertisement probes! I’M ON TO YOUR GAME

8. lordfrikk says:

So it’s like Zafehouse Diaries but playable?

9. Pemptus says:

I loved the first one and the second one to some degree (too much micromanagement for my taste). I hope they don’t make this one overcomplicated.
    Also, not too keen on the cartoony style. Unless the entire tone of the game has changed to pleasant wackiness (which would be a pity), it doesn’t really seem to fit.

10. Gap Gen says:

That is a tough neighbourhood in the first screenshot, what with so many police stations in such a small area.

Comment on this story