Centipedal Force: Strider

By Adam Smith on October 10th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I just dodged the biggest bullet of my professional career. The greatest hazard of this job isn’t furious comments or frustrated developers – far from it – the true terror lies in the weird crap I find myself typing into Google. There’s a new Strider game coming out early next year and when I decided to post the trailer, I figured I’d reminisce about the one part of the game everybody remembers, namely the Ouroburos-boss, which was basically a scary Soviet conga line. New Strider has a flying centipede monster, which may or may not be a rebooted Ouroboros, but it did lead me to search for Strider centipede. Google had this to say – “Did you mean: spider centipede”. No, Google, I absolutely did not.

I’d write some thoughts on the trailer but I don’t have any because I’m too busy perching on my chair and scanning the floor for spider-centipedes. I can visualise them. Or maybe people search for spiders fighting centipedes? It’s entirely possible that I’ll scratch all of my skin off in an effort to stop it from crawling.

Turrican next, please. And do it properly.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jackablade says:

Alright. As an Australian, there’s is nothing spidery that’s going to overly phase me. Let’s see this Spider-centipede then…

…Ah, the house centipede. We get those in the bathroom from time to time. They’re speedy little buggers.

• Haplo says:

… Bastard.

I know it’s bad form to break ranks and let out info that might lead the rest of the world to suspect that we Australians are -not- all stoic badasses to a man who will face down a thousand thousand spiders as we would a barbeque, but I have to this time.

What you are doing to us is wrong. Why do you do this thing? Until you spoke I could pretend that Spider Centipedes were things that existed elsewhere. As if the giant procession caterpillar lines- hundreds of spiny poisonous slimy caterpillars crawling over your door- wasn’t enough, now you need to tell me that we have -this-.

Bastard.

• Max Planck says:

House centipedes are nice. They eat spiders, so we are friends.

2. phelix says:

I just googled “spider centipede “. Nightmares incoming.

3. Notebooked says:

Would spider centipedes have a hundred legs times eight? Can’t imagine how that would move.

4. Hodge says:

Turrican next, please. And do it properly.

There was Hurrican a few years back. It pretty much captured the Turrican experience for me, i.e. everyone else raving about how amazing it was while I wondered what on Earth the fuss was all about.

5. Viroso says:

Is dashing the most satisfying type of movement in video games ever? Yes.

6. Pnikosis says:

If my calculations are right, a Spider Centipede should have 108 legs.

7. Jubaal says:

Just be glad you didn’t google Human Centipede……

8. GameCat says:

I’ve read title as “centipedal forest” and my imagination instantly created a horror that could scare even Older Gods.

9. Freud says:

I thought you were referring to one of those clips where a giant centipede catches and eats a mouse. That freaked me out. But a little centipede eating spiders?

10. strangeloup says:

Hm. The trailer looks mildly promising, but I’m not sure about this. The creator of Strider, Kouichi Yotsui, left Capcom soon after its release, and most recently directed the spiritual successor-ish Moon Diver (which met with mixed reception), and the remake’s being helmed by Double Helix, who don’t exactly have the greatest track record as far as making decent games goes.

In re: spider centipedes, the idea caused the same kind of instinctual kill-it-with-fire revulsion as I had when first encountering centaurs in the 3D Fallout games.

11. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Ignoring all the comments about spider centipedes (jeez, sack up gang!), this game looks very good. I guess after the brouhaha with DmC (which I liked quite a bit and thought neither overshadowed nor was overshadowed by it’s rightfully celebrated predecessors), Capcom has decided to stick with fairly standard updates to classic franchises. Which is fine.

Now, I do hope they learned one thing from DmC: more games need male sexualization! More skinny, ripped guys in wifebeaters and hot, vaguely aristocratic types in ridiculous bowler hats!

12. RaveTurned says:

Not gonna search.
    Not gonna search.
    NOT GONNA SEARCH.

13. felisc says:

In some remote galaxy, an army of spider centipedes is googling AdamĀ“s name right now, planning their attack.

14. thekelvingreen says:

Turrican next, please. And do it properly.

A hundred times this. Although Gunlord was a fair attempt.

15. Niko says:

Look at all the shiny polygons.

16. sue729 says:

Start working at home with Google! Its by-far the best job Ive had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. Useful Reference http://ow.ly/pAu07
    WORK LESS EARN MORE

17. Kefren says:

I saw one of these when I was staying in a converted pigsty in France, running over the rough bricks near the head of the bed. I wondered what it was called. Got my girlfriend to catch it and put it out. (The centipede, not the strider).

Comment on this story