Flight Club: CCP’s In-Game Eve Seminars

By Craig Pearson on October 10th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

The only time I managed to get feel in control in Eve Online was when a friend wise in the ways of 0-0 decided to teach me. He told me what to buy, what to fit to my ship, and what skills to train. It perhaps led me down a path that he’d already worn in the space lanes, and I spent most of my time ferrying goods and waiting for the political intrigue and espionage to begin. Who knows? Maybe I was a puppet in his game of political intrigue and espionage, but it sure felt like I was a courier of insignificant goods. But without him helping me along, I doubt I’d have even gone that far. It’s a relationship that underpins Eve, and now CCP are going to attempt to do something similar. Their New Player Training Sessions will be CCP led in-game seminars, teaching Pod people how to fight more and fumble less.

The first of 12 events starts this evening. The theme for this series is ‘player-to-player combat’, with a new event underpinning that knowledge being held few days until November 18th. A month of learning, with topics like fitting your ship, earning money, and understanding the UI to make sure players are better placed when the time comes to fire on another player. Just join the “New Player Training Sessions” at the times advertised on the page.

CCP’s reasoning is sound: educated players make the game better.

The simple fact is a lot of players come into the game and are overwhelmed by what they find. Teaching them in a structured fashion like this can help them get into New Eden more quickly and get them out there interacting with other players. Your corporations and alliances will benefit, either by having better-trained recruits, more informed customers, or even targets more willing to come out and fight you.

For those that can’t make it, the sessions will be recorded and released online, just like a video of a cat on a Roomba.

, .

1. trjp says:

Surely you shouldn’t be talking about this?

2. Snakejuice says:

OMG you wrote “0-0″ when it’s supposed to be “0.0″, didn’t your mom teach you about heresies like this?

3. Headwuend says:

Good thing they start with the stuff that can actually be fun, rather than their soul draining PvE content.

4. Leonard Hatred says:

Eve’s New Player Experience has been re-done three or four times now, and every time it’s been total shit.

Largely because it focused on mission running and manufacturing, rather than the bits of Eve that are the least terrible. I know PVP Arenas are divisive in eve, but some kind of little training FFA arena for new players to mess around in (but unavailable to older players wanting to dumpster newbies, possibly only for newly subbed/paid accounts with a DoB less than 2 weeks ago) strikes me as a good thing.

• loloquaker says:

Yeah, because there are no alt accounts in eve ever. No veteran will ever have a new account to kill noobs in these. I’d prefer something open to everyone, and an internal ranking system.

• Leonard Hatred says:

hence specifically why i said for the first 2 weeks after a new account becomes a paid-for account. if somebody is prepared to spend a plex just to brawl with new players for a couple of weeks, then i guess there really isn’t anything that is going to stop them.

If you’re interested in small-gang arena PVP why not enter some of the many tourneys? AT is always fun, SCL is cheap to enter and doesn’t need an alliance, the NEO could be good too if Twitch really are going to stump up big cash prizes in return for CCP implementing twitch.tv into the eve client.

5. Sardonic says:

As nice as this is, if you want to run an eve story, you really ought to do the current secret-community-gift controversy. ( see http://themittani.com/news/ccp-secretly-gifted-somer-blink-ishukone-scorpions )

• Leonard Hatred says:

aaah, “CCP CORRUPTION WURSE THAN T20 GAME DOOMED UNLESS MITTENS RECIEVES SCORIONS GOONS CREATE CONTENT” a classic tale of betray and sperging.

for the benefit of non-eve players, the mittani dot com is relatively partizan, being run by the leader (and self-professed galactic spymaster) of Goonswarm, the largest and arguably most powerful Alliance of players in the game. They have been exceptionally angry about CCP giving freebie ships to certain community sites without publicly stating that they had. Goons have not received any Ishkone Scorpions.

The ships in question are not particularly good, being a reskinned version of an existing ship. But there aren’t many of them in game and a small set of collectors are willing to pay big bucks to get their hands on one. They have no inherent value beyond what those collectors will pay, and as more are introduced to the game their value will only fall.

Certainly CCP were at best naive giving the ships away without some kind of accompanying devblog, and Somer Blink – one of the ‘community’ sites in question – is essentially a casino and generates ludicrous amounts of in-game profit for the guys running it, along with a reasonable chunk of IRL profit via gametime affiliate links on their site, but Goonswarm rabble rousing about CCP corruption has a fair slice of self-interest and should be treated with the sort of weary resignation eve players have become accustomed to.

tl;dr – eve players are drama hungry autists, with an enormous sense of entitlement.

• Sardonic says:

It was nice of you to put your moronic strawman up in the front of your post, so I could safely ignore the rest of it.

If you’re perfectly OK with a player group given 450 Billion Isk value (enough for multiple titans) in free rare rare ships given behind closed doors by the developers, you’re an idiot.

Goonswarm has virtually nothing to do with the issue, for that matter so your charges of TM.com’s bias on this issue is laughable.

• Leonard Hatred says:

You seem very impassioned. Good for you :)

If you want to talk about moronic strawman arguments – and for some reason i get the impression you do – the whole ‘they gave them multiple titans for FREE!’ thing is a slightly tenuous proposition.

The most basic fallacy is that those ships, which CCP had already said they’d be giving out for various odds and sods, are actually worth that beyond the handful which have previously been sold to big-money collectors when they were considerably less common.

Then assuming they are worth that (which they aren’t) that they can easily liquidate that many of them at that price. It’s not like there is a thriving market for them beyond the small group of serious collectors who happily paying huge amounts for ultimately worthless eve collectables.

Not to mention, a number of other eve-entities have already received these Super Special Spaceships and nobody publicly shat their pants over it via every site they could reach. The main difference being that Blink makes a profit of some description, and that seems to attract considerably more ire.

I think if you gave it a bit more thought, you’d perhaps realise you’re getting all worked up about something that really isn’t worth getting so hot and bothered about.

re goons – They are leading the moral-indignation charge, they are running their patented Threadnaughts TM on the eve forums, and their quasi-official mouthpiece had three separate stories about this on their front page last time i looked.

TMC has always been partizan, largely unbiased generic reporting with a sprinkling of very carefully selected agenda-led eve content dropped in. Can’t see why you’d even choose to dispute that.

Their transformation into Eve’s moral guardians however has been sudden and entirely unexpected.

phuzz says:

It’s the behind closed doors bit that’s wrong imo. Rewarding people for running lotteries etc. is fine if that’s what CCP want to do, but it’s the underhanded way they gave them out and specifically told the recipients to keep quiet about it that gets me.
          Surely you want to publicise rewarding people, in hopes of other people stepping up to do stuff for the community?

aleander says:

“Sperging”? “Autism”? Describing dissent as “entitlement”?

Seems like a a perfect representation of Eve Online community.

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

Every time I have the slightest, minute, ever-so-tiny inkling to give Eve Online a try, I read through a conversation like this and I lose all interest in the game.

6. Leprikhan says:

If CCP wants to help out new players, one of the nicest things they could do is finally implement an in-game EFT/pyfa equivalent. Unless you’re using someone else’s fits at all times one of those programs is practically required, and just playing around with it for a little bit does a good job of teaching you the very basics of what fitting a ship even means, something the game proper never does.

Seminars are nice and all, but giving people better tools for self-teaching would go a lot farther, methinks.

• 2lab says:

I think they don’t want to step on the toes of the people who make these things.

7. Didden says:

EVE is a great game, but it is definitely worth finding folks to play with an enjoy it as soon as you start to give yourself the best chance of getting the best from it.

8. BobbyDylan says:

Want new players to find the game? Fix the god-ugly UI. I’ve tried to get into EVE on 3 separate occasions, each lasted less than 2 weeks. Game was way too dull to have to deal with a learning curve that steep.

Less Spreadsheets. More Ponies.

9. airmikee99 says:

There’s enough piracy, corporate espionage, and theft in the real world, I don’t want to play a video game that encourages that behavior in game. As much fun and as beautiful as the game looks, I’ve got dozens of other space games that do not allow, let alone encourage, players to mistreat other players in the name of greed.

• morbiusnl says:

this! I tried Eve on and off for 2 years and finally came to the conclusion its just not a game for. me. the whole “tough guy” attitude in the game is a real downer for me and people are encouraged to treat other people as dirt. People who are trying to counteract this negativity are shunned from the community. Im very glad there are new exciting space games coming out where people can still play what they actually want (Limit Theory, X Rebirth, Space Citizen, Elite Dangerous).

• Lone Gunman says:

There are plenty of corps that are friendly.

• Roenie says:

Yeah, just like in jail. You join a group, otherwise you can’t do anything – and just to be safe from the other totally artibrarily contrived groups. Then the group you are in treats you nicely as long as you … do certain things for them.

A soap opera for and by geeks. That’s got to be the worst kind – geeks tend to be lacking in social skills and emotional intelligence. In the end, EVE is all about the (results of) social interaction, it’s nothing without it. As a geek myself, why the hell they seek that social platform in the first place really is beyond me. I’d much rather avoid it. Throw in the focus on PvP and you’ve got yourself a pretty hostile social environment. MMOs suck donkeynuts. If you’re that desperate to enjoy humans being a bunch of babies, just watch a random soap opera on TV and call it a day. Saves you months upon months of grinding as well as the subscription fee.

Ahhh. I feel better now.

• 2lab says:

Eve isn’t for total geeks, you need social skills to get anywhere in the game, you can make money (in the game) with maths but to make an impact you have to be able to get on with people.

You have to be fairly geeky to get into Eve but then the least geekey of the geeks are most succesfull.

• 2lab says:

It’s what makes the game great but it’s not for you.

Go somewhere else for your PvP free kicks.

• airmikee99 says:

Wow, such a novel and innovative idea. Why didn’t I think of that?

/facepalm

• imralizal says:

Don’t take it personally. This is how most EVE players respond to those who have the temerity to say that they don’t like some aspect of it. They will typically insult you and / or insinuate that you just “don’t understand” how great it “really” is. This very thread has them being described as hostile autists. Gee, I wonder why? They really seem to believe that they are better than you because they play this particular brand of space grind / shooty. My sincere apologizes to EVE players who do not act this way.

Also, I completely agree with you. EVE is conceptually my favorite game ever, but I hated playing it.

10. Mud says:

Oh yeah nice game, after years of play I decided to stop.
    Years later after a dozen of please come back mails from CCP I gave it a try and oh crap my main char is stuck in a 0.0 station with a hangar full crap and can’t do a thing cos I don’t have the rights to get it.
    500 mill isk a shedload of stuff and in the end I fought the wrong war hehe

• sopwath says:

If you submit a help request, CCP will usually do a one-time move of you and all your assets to a 1.0 station. It’s worth a shot if you want to get your stuff out. It’s very one-time though. Don’t do that, then quit and come back in 2 more years and expect them to be lenient a second time.

• Mud says:

Maybe with the next please come back I might give it a shot, thanks for your suggestion.

11. sue729 says:

Start working at home with Google! Its by-far the best job Ive had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. Useful Reference http://ow.ly/pAu07
    WORK LESS EARN MORE

12. Billzor says:

I had fun doing small frigate roams and shooting up other frigates, but the big capital ship space battles were a bit less engaging. I also had wished that my frigate skills were of more use more often to my corp instead of simply sitting around waiting for battleship skills to train up so that I felt like I was actually contributing. Yes, you can always tackle, but I wanted some spice in my life. I’d thought that giving frigates the capability of fitting battleship-damaging weapons (much like in real life) would’ve made large fleet combat a bit more interesting. I’m hoping this next expansion is a tentative step in that direction.