Oh Yeah, TowerFall On The PC In January

By Craig Pearson on October 10th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Android-based consoleface Ouya (pronounced ‘what?’) scooped up at least one game that everyone wanted to play, the multiplayer archery action game Towerfall. We’ve known for a while that it would be coming to the PC, and it was expected to flop onto it sometime in 2013. Well lo and behold, it slipped. That’s what you get for climbing towers, bucko. Did you not learn anything from Season One, Episode One of Game Of Thrones? At least it’s not moved too far along on the release axis, with the developer tentatively aiming at a January 2014 release date. As long as he manages to squeeze in the extras he’s planning.

The slippage in this case is a good thing. It means we’ll be getting more game for the PC. We’ve already spoiled the single-player campaign for you, but that’s just the start of additional extras. According to Shacknews, the game will also be coming with a level editor and Steam Workshop support.

New classes and new levels will bulk it out, and I like the idea of the “drill arrow”, an arrow that you can fire through walls at targets.

I don’t know anyone with an Ouya (pronounced ‘Orly?’), so I can’t just ring up a friend and ask him how good the game is, but everyone who is not my friend seems to think it’s great.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nu1mlock says:

This is one game I’m looking forward to playing with friends on a Steam Machine.

2. bit_crusherrr says:

Another indie 2d retro platformer games. Great.

• ComradeSnarky says:

It’s not a platformer. RTFA.

• bit_crusherrr says:

I watched the video before I posted, its 2d, has platforms. Even if you do fight each other it still controls like a platformer.

• ComradeSnarky says:

Okay. Can’t agree that “has platforms” = “platformer.” Smash Bros. has platforms but I don’t think anyone would classify it as a platformer.

Genre distinctions aside, I’d say this is pretty different from most “indie 2d retro platformer[s].”

• bit_crusherrr says:

I personally call Smash Bros a platfom fighter thing. I guess it might sound a bit strange but it’s more the whole 2d retro stuff I’m getting bored of. If they want to do a sprite based game at least make the sprites kind of like Metal Slug were some effort was put in not just crappy 8-16bit sprites. I do enjoy that kind of art style but it’s becoming somewhat of a cliché.

• ComradeSnarky says:

Heh. I like “platform fighter thing.” That’s probably a better descriptor for Towerfall. And yes, it is getting a bit hard for games with retro pixel graphics to stand out from the crowd.

Oozo says:

It seems to be one of those games that I won’t actually get until I play it… the trailer is too busy for my passive eyes!

But if it is somewhere between “Samurai Gunn” and “Super Smash Brothers”, both of which I love dearly, this can only be A LOT OF FUN. (I’d settle for “Samurai Gunn” on Steam, but this will do as well.)

4. povu says:

And there goes the last reason to own an OUYA.

5. jadejada849 says:

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing,,,,●►●►●►●►▶ http://www.max68.com