Buy Anything On GOG, Get A Free Copy Of Witcher

By Nathan Grayson on October 11th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Geralt, minus beard and graphics.

Purchasing games is hard. Nearly impossible, in some cases. You have to pick one out, remember your credit card number, do, like, a million other things, and then pray that the game will materialize on your hard drive via magicks so dark that their casters take their coffee double-black. Oh, and the process always, invariably costs at least 14 million dollars. I was thinking of giving up on it altogether until GOG announced a rather tantalizing incentive. For one week, any purchase you make will come with a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

The promotion comes as the final stroke of itsy bitsy widdle GOG’s fifth birthday (we got it a big wheel, a copy of Grand Theft Auto V, and a gun), and the storefront explained it thusly:

“This is the final week of our 5th Birthday Celebration. We’re going to go above and beyond the call of birthday, though, and give you guys something incredible for our final thank you: buy anything on GOG.com – yes, anything – and get a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition with any purchase.”

So that’s exciting. Kinda. Witcher usually goes for an already pithy $9.99, but free is still infinity percent better. And if you’ve somehow avoided playing Witcher: The First for all these years, well, stop it. It actually holds up pretty well, despite a dull opening and, er, sex cards. While Witcher 2 is vastly superior, the original’s still quite a wild hunt ride.

I wonder if this deal holds up for every individual purchase on GOG. If so, I know what I’m giving everyone I know for Christmas for the next 427 years!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I bought The Witcher to get The Witcher free and my GOG account inverted itself in subspace, causing a phase shift in the polaron rectifiers and now I’m trapped between dimensions in a space suit made of bubble wrap. :(

DrScuttles says:

Please, please resist the temptation to pop the bubbles. It may take all your willpower, but each of those bubbles contains a small amount of pure Reality α matter and right now that insulating layer of bubblematter is all that’s protecting you from the cold harsh Wirklichkeitsturm of oblivion.

Oozo says:

I love you guys.

Anthile says:

Ah, a direct quote from Heidagger’s famous Schwerter und Konversationen: Phänomenologische Interpretationen des Hexertums.

Oozo says:

I’m actually fairly certain that he is citing Friedrich Nietzschépée’s “Die Welt als Witcher und Vorstellung”.

• Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

Well spotted, though it is a fairly common topos. Arguably most famously paraphrased in Karl Krupp’s “Das Kräftespiel wirklichkeitsverbessernder Kommentatoren”.

• Turkey says:

Hang on! We can get you out of the “Dreadful Dimension of Duplicate Despair,” but first we need to see your receipt. You did request a receipt from Gog, carried it with you on a diskette to print out at your local library, and placed it in a dimension-proof binder that you carry with you at all times, right?

• TWChristine says:

So is this better or worse than going through a chrono-synclastic infundibulum?

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’m hijacking this thread to give one away. I bought something else, and since I already had The Witcher, GOG nicely turned it into a gift code. If you don’t already have The Witcher, here’s a free copy for you:

QWQ7-YVQK-MCJZ-QXL8

Go to https://secure.gog.com/redeem to redeem it. First come first served.

Big Murray says:

Did you try reversing the polarity?

2. Oasx says:

I really enjoyed Witcher 2, but i just couldn’t get into Witcher 1. I tried recently and the combat system is just so awkward and awful :/

• Apocalypse says:

Same with me and witcher 2, the combat in witcher 2 sucks so much compared to witcher 1, wait you did not mean that, right?

• Oasx says:

Witcher 2 has a standard system of fast/slow attacks, one is better than the other at certain times, but both can be used all the time. In Witcher 1 a slow attack will never hit a fast enemy, and vice versa. And that is not mentioning the weird rhythmic clicking system.

I am not saying the game is not good, i just can’t get more than a few minutes into it because of the weird combat system.

• frightlever says:

Yeah, I thought the Witcher was a great game overall but it didn’t really click with me until I had access to a few signs to allow me to gloss over the piss-poor melee combat. There IS a combat rebalanace mod:

But even that may not be what you’re after.

• werix says:

I was very much the same. I tried with the Witcher, I really did. But between the clunky ass combat, poor quest tracking, no telegraphing of what I was supposed to do, and that god damn swamp, I couldn’t finish it. I got to like act 3 or whatever, and the moment I saw they were having me go back out to the swamp after doing all that shit to get in the tower in act 2, I just folded.

It was one of the worst RPGs I’ve ever played. I’ve been afraid to touch my copy of witcher 2 due to how bad the first was.

• Ernesto25 says:

Wow that is almost the same experience i had due to the part i gave up. I just thought wow why do i care about the plot and i honestly couldn’t answer the question,

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

I’m glad I’m not alone in this. I made it a decent way into the game, although I forget which act. I bagged a couple girls, won some gambling games, killed a bunch of swamp thingies, beat up some bad guys, made a half-hearted attempt to mix some potions, and wandered around as much as the paths would let me. I appreciate the game for being well done, but I simply put it down and never went back to it. It seemed like work to me, and for whatever reason I always knew I was playing a game–I never got immersed or attached to any character. I never really cared what happened to Geralt as I pointed and clicked my way through town.

Skeletor68 says:

Witcher 1 is definitely worth the effort guys! The narrative and that conclusion …

4. Dowr says:

This would be a great deal if the Witcher 1 wasn’t… a tad rubbish

• Subject 706 says:

Which it isn’t.

• BTAxis says:

Except for the bits where it is. Which is all the bits.

• Mr. Mister says:

All the bits, yeah. The ones before you start the game.

• Ernesto25 says:

Not going to lie i didn’t like it, i keep trying but the story and lore is just dull to me. I wanted another rpg that i could immerse myself in the world but the story and the character himself didn’t really give me a reason to care. Every 6 months or so i try to get into it but i still feel indifferent to the game.

• Sheng-ji says:

Guys,

it’s OK if you like something someone else doesn’t and it’s OK if you don’t like something someone else does. It doesn’t make your opinion any more or less valid and it doesn’t make their opinion any less valid either.

Znea says:

It’s OK to not like things

I just really like that video, and if you don’t it’s because you’re a terrible person and should contract an uncomfortable disease.

• Arglebargle says:

Not liking things, and them being bad, are not coterminous.

• Panda Powered says:

Poland imposed a landfill tax for digital waste so GOG just fly-tip it straight into their customers game libraries. All cynical like.
      They save millions on not recycling the bits properly. Shame on them!

Jonfon says:

The 1s are fine, it’s the 0s entangling small animals which are the real problem here.

• Grygus says:

For me, the problem was the swamp, where the developers appear to have decided that what was missing from their RPG implementation was mindless grinding. I did not like the quirky combat system, but tolerated it until it became a constant irritating minigame I had to play just to move around an area I’d already explored. And the game kept sending me back there, over and over, even after I’d appeared to have finished the main quest there. Every time I think about restarting this game, I have some vague memories of good times in the tavern and town, but the main recollection is that stupid swamp with its stupid infinite spawns, and I play XCOM instead.

• Apocalypse says:

The swamp is a mental challenge for mainstream gamers. Let me tell you an anecdote.

My significant other was playing witcher 1 for the fist time and for a few days I watched her playing in the swamp. She complained that progress was so slow and I burst out laughing.
        “If you want to progress in the game faster, why do you fight every single monster in the swamp? Why do you grind there if loot is all but insignificant anyway? Just run to the NPCs you want to talk to straight away and stop slaughtering every drowner you find!”
        A few days later she was not only pass the swamp, she had even finished the game and started witcher 2.

Its not like the swamp is place to grind, its that players seem to make it to a place to grind because they expecting this kind of game mechanic from a place like this.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“the rest of the game however: the world, the areas, the lore, the story, the characters, the missions, the “choices”,”

Funny, these were exactly the things that made me bail. Well, that and the pointless T&A and the sex minigame that’s about as smooth as a 13-year-old at his first dance – and just about as “mature” and “gritty” too – which made me actively dislike the game rather than just feel pity for it.

Horses for courses. People seem to either love or hate the Witcher. I happen to loathe it, but everything about the world and the characters just rubbed me the wrong way. I suggest anyone interested get a sense of the lore and story – watch some videos or something – before deciding whether to play, because it seems like that’s what will make or break it for you. If I’d liked the world I’m sure I would have put up with how repetitive it all is, but since I didn’t, that just stood out so clearly.

5. Davie says:

I just really want to know the context of that amazing screenshot.

• TNG says:

Weird things happen at the tavern in Murky Waters also known as the tavern at the end of the world.

6. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m thinking about picking up Surgeon Simulator just to get a copy of The Witcher, but I’m assuming the GOG version of SS doesn’t have a Steam key associated with it. Can anyone verify this?

Hmmm, maybe I should just break down and get Arcanum instead.

basilisk says:

Nothing on GOG comes with Steam keys. It’s part of that DRM-free spiel of theirs.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Dammit. The only time I’ll ever be disappointed that a game doesn’t have a Steam key.

• Blue Shark says:

That may be right, but there are exceptions. For example you can convert your UnEpic gog key on their website and get steam key, and some greenlight games give you free steam key after they get greenlit if you provide the proof of purchase, like for example Inquisitor.

7. Perkelnik says:

I urge anybody with passion for games with heart to play this gem. Sure, it has its flaws, but it is still impressive piece of game. I replayed it recently after finishing Witcher 2 and it still blew my mind.
    Now I’m just thinking if I “buy” this again – have a boxed copy, Steam copy and… yeah, I guess I should have GoG copy, just to be sure :)

• Viroso says:

It’s hard to put up with a game that isn’t entirely good and is also super long. It seems like it’s forty hours long. Meanwhile I got tons of other awesome games unplayed. And it doesn’t seem like there’s anything different or special about it.

• tobecooper says:

If you have a Steam copy that means you have a GOG copy. Take the key and activate it here: http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

The same can be done with your boxed copy.

So you actually have two GOG copies. Please, tell me you didn’t get it just now, making that 3 GOG copies :)

8. Laurentius says:

Witcher1:EE is a strange game, rough around edges, no doubt. Horribly bad prologue, i think i started this game three or four times and couldn’t get myself past it but when i finally did… well Act1 is still pretty weak too but if you bear through it . Act2,3 and 4 are probably one of the best if not best pieces in fantasy themed cRPG. The city, runing back and forth, no special heroics, just doing witcher jobs, rather mundane then respectable, being at the bottom of the food chain, staying in cheap taverns, the best thing you could hope to achive is to share a bed with some half-elven woman, great stuff. Witcher 2 sure was enjoyable and better game but better RPG, it has too much of typical bing bang style od cRPG, too often Geralt was thrown into the middle of flashy events, slay the dragon be a hereo type of things. I worry about third game.

• HadToLogin says:

That sounds a bit like books. First ones were about Witcher doing little jobs here and there (matchmaking dragons, killing bandit dwarves lead by Snow White…), then in later books big plot attacked and Geralt happened to get into One Big Empire crosshair.

9. Lemming says:

I still haven’t played Witcher 2 past the first hour. It was my first and only Witcher experience and I just can’t get into it. Perhaps now that my computer has been upgraded I’ll give it another go, but I just don’t get a decent vibe from it.

Big Murray says:

Same here. There’s nothing in that story which grabs me at all. The world is just … meh.

I think it’s the attitude. All the gruff voices, the taking-itself-so-seriously and the pointless nudity and sex … it’s like a university student’s attempt to be “mature”.

• Ernesto25 says:

The sex thing confused me i actually had sex in the prologue whilst i was actively trying not to and then i get a card for it.

People compare it to crpg’s and DA but in those games i actually cared in the first 30 minutes of playing it , i knew some motivations at least.

And yes geralts voice actor sounded as bored as i was when playing it.

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

That’s funny, because that’s what I thought after reading The Last Wish. I thought the whole world was dull, derivative, and prosaic. Goofy bards, busty bartender women, pseudo-old-English language, angry dwarves…I kept sighing throughout the book. I’m really surprised the whole Witcher thing has taken off like it has.

10. pupsikaso says:

Wow, well this is timely. I was just thinking of playing the first witcher, but couldn’t find which digital download site I had purchased it from, and wasn’t willing to pay the $10 to buy it again.

11. Strangerator says:

I can’t explain why I loved the first Witcher game. It’s strange, the games don’t really seem to concern themselves with easing the player into the world, and when you compare them to other games in the genre, you’ll notice things that are missing. Much like their protagonist, the games can be aloof jerks, and fondness for them only comes over time.

It’s been a while but I recall liking the alchemy more in the first game, right down to the silly hallucinogenic effects when you drink certain potions. Combat was a bit more about what you did to prepare for the battle rather than the combat system itself, though I do remember dodging was still important.

Also, both games have somewhat inverted difficulty curves, where the first boss is the hardest, and then the game gets somewhat easier. This is likely due to the number of systems and the fact that you usually need to learn them all to beat the first boss. Actually Witcher 2’s first big boss was a little too set-piece ish and deviated too far from normal combat mechanics for my taste.

But if you hang in there, you’ll get to enjoy a world rich in lore, with a gritty though sometimes humorous tone. The Witcher games are my favorite RPGs in years, although I’ve yet to begin my Dark Souls experience…

Big Murray says:

My experience of the first Witcher game makes it pretty unsurprising to me that they’re trying to give it away.

13. imhotep says:

“buy anything on GOG.com – yes, anything ”

Wow, that’s incredibly generous.

14. Arglebargle says:

I liked The Witcher, but I played it in the original Polish, with subtitles. When I tried the English dubbing, it was…just…awful. Even the redone English localization was subpar.

15. MrCrun says:

Just got Surgeon Simulator off GoG so another offer of a key here: RR52-2L2C-6ZMC-JLWS Do post if you claim it to save other people hope/hassle. Thanks

• f300 says:

Just used the key! I’ve been meaning to get this for a while, so thank you, much appreciated!