Glimpse At Arma 3’s Campaign In This Gallery

By Craig Pearson on October 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Can you get HBO on that thing?
Arma 3 arrived with a weather system, a day-and-night cycle, an island so beautiful that it makes me want to go on holiday, quad-copters, bunnies, and a fully-integrated mission distribution system. But it was still missing a proper single-player mode, which I am keen on playing. The official campaign from Bohemia will come in three parts as DLC, and the first part of that will be released on Oct 31st. How do I know? They told me. They also sent me some lovely screenshots of it, and I’ve dropped them in below.

The first part is called Survive, and will put you in the itchy military underwear of a regular infantryman, Ben Kerry. He’s part of a withdrawing NATO peacekeeping force staged in Altis, and as the troops withdraw an opposing faction is filling its place. I can see no particular problem with that scenario, but I always see the best in people. You’re looking lovely, btw.

This content will also bring more toys for the community to build with, as Arma 3 lead and friend of RPS Jay Crowe states: “It’s not just about our own story, but another opportunity to provide yet more building blocks for the platform – new weapons, animations, 3D objects, scripted modules – each designed to grant content creators even greater freedom to create and share their own content. Looking forward to the forthcoming episodes, we’ll continue to expand Arma 3’s sandbox with additions such as new vehicles.”

Jets? Please say there will be jets.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DapperDirewolf says:

Gorgeous game. I own this, but haven’t played since the Beta, so I wasn’t aware it didn’t ship with jets on release. Are they mad?!

• Grey Poupon says:

Craig seemed to mention all that the game doesn’t have without giving any attention to what the game does have. I mean, there’s bees. And shadows. And bees with shadows!

DarkLiberator says:

Actually there is one jet I believe, but would like to see more vehicles.

• Snow Mandalorian says:

Yes, there are jets.

• DapperDirewolf says:

What kind of jets are we talking about here?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Those underwater ones you get in swimming pools that people … linger in front of.

• WinTurkey says:

Only 1 jet so far, it belongs to the independent faction. It’s a single-seat CAS plane that kind of looks like the German Alpha Jet.

• DapperDirewolf says:

I’d love to see some proper air-to-air combat missions. In fact, screw it, I want a proper contemporary military flight sim. Anyone know of a good one that isn’t decades old?

• Walsh says:

Dapper, your best bet is still the DCS series, which includes a new version of Lock On Modern Air Combat.

• DapperDirewolf says:

Just watched part of the A-10 Warthog training video. Holy hell, that looks slick. The level of detail and functionality in the cockpit and even HUD is incredible! Thanks for the heads up (pun intended)!

• SuicideKing says:

Ones that fly blind at night and veer to the left at takeoff.

Not kidding.

2. BobbyDylan says:

The 31st? Daaam man. I was really hoping this would come out before BF4, which comes out on the 29th.

• goettel says:

For a platform that’s supposed to be ‘dying’ we sure got a lot of trouble picking which great game to play at any given time.

3. chiablo says:

I’m still on the fence on whether I should man up and get ARMA III, or get Battlefield 4. The Battlefield 4 beta was a disappointment since it’s essentially battlefield 3 with an extra layer of polish. But ARMA III is mostly fun with friends, of which I have none.

• DapperDirewolf says:

I found the beta disappointing too, but I’m not sure if it was just because my PC doesn’t seem capable of replicating the graphics in all the trailers…

Also, totally different games man! Personally I’m more intrigued by picking up A3 again now that its out, given that the ARMA experience is totally different to all the FPS’s of this age…

• lucasdigital says:

I’m actually enjoying the B4 beta in spite of it feeling mostly like a rejigged B3. I understand that the beta is not representative of the final release in terms of slickness and polish. I’ve not played nearly enough Arma 3 since the beta came out. I think that there’s room in my cold warmongering heart for both titles – and I won’t feel guilty if I wait for Arma 3’s third campaign chapter to be released before I get stuck in…

• Synesthesia says:

They are completely different games, for starters.

• SuicideKing says:

Neither games are finished, so i’d say wait for that.

4. Ansob says:

Does this mean they might add AKs back in?!

• Alfius says:

I’m hoping the community will port and improve on the ARMA 2 content. The game looks outstanding but I’m aghast at the futuristic setting.

• BobbyDylan says:

Really? I loved it!

• DapperDirewolf says:

As long as it ain’t laser guns and phasers I quite enjoy the near-future stuff. Not as much of a concern to me as AI though, particularly when enemies can see and hit you from 2 miles off, whilst firing from the hip, and running… sideways.

But hey that’s ARMA.

• lucasdigital says:

I can fully understand why the development team didn’t want to rebuild, yet again, the same kit and vehicles they’ve been making for a decade. I really like the authenticity of the futuristic stuff. HOWEVER, both the futuristic kit and the islands feel like they’re exploring an interesting theme rather than building a generic military sandbox.
        So fingers crossed that the community will update everything. It would be cool to eventually replay the Arma 2 campaign from within the Arma 3 game, or fight battles across Seattle (from Take On Helicopters).

Gap Gen says:

So, you can play a diver playing the diving levels of ArmA 3 in ArmA 3. Sweet.

• DapperDirewolf says:

The screen can also change to Pac Man and Space Invaders. There’s no Missile Command though, which sucks.

6. WinTurkey says:

“The first part is called Survive, and will put you in the itchy military underwear of a regular infantryman, Ben Kerry.”

Who, despite being frontline infantry presumably gets to do all the fun stuff shown in the screenshot, including scuba diving. I’d like to see how they shoehorn that in

“KERRY, CHARLIE 4-1 STEPPED ON A SEA URCHIN, YOU’LL HAVE TO TAKE HIS PLACE. DO YOU HAVE ANY UNDERWATER TRAINING?”
    “N-no”
    “GOOD ENOUGH”

• DapperDirewolf says:

Hey. It’s the future. Who knows what kind of training regulars will receive! Maybe there’ll even be a mission where the battalion’s head-chef is incinerated in an artillery strike, and Kerry has to use his special-forces cooking training to save swathes of infantry from hunger, creating a nutritional meal from only surplus ammunition and grass.

Gap Gen says:

I liked Op Fap’s multiple perspectives approach, and that the last mission was going to the pub to meet up with the gang after the war. It was nice to have a mission where as a Spec Ops team you had to blow up enemy AT emplacements, and then in the next mission as a tank crew was harder if you failed your previous one. Actually Op Fap was probably the best campaign of any of the series (since as people have said, Codemasters ensured decent QA and Bohemia weren’t panicking about money when they made it).

• Chiron says:

Revolution was the best for me but the original was definitely very good as well

7. Walsh says:

Pretty sure it’s also missing fighting positions (foxhole, trench etc), functional bipods and some kind of suppression system.

• Synesthesia says:

The suppression thing is debatable. But are the bipods still not working? That’s just plain stupid.

• Walsh says:

Let us debate! One of the purposes of a machine gun is to suppress an enemy so they may be assaulted. To suppress someone is to make them afraid to move out of their current position, the AI currently knows no fear.

Reminds me of my other beef, the AI making ridiculous off hand shots at long range but whateva.

• DapperDirewolf says:

Agreed! The ARMA series still needs some AI fixing, I reckon. As I said above, it’s incredibly frustrating accepting the realistic pace at which you have to play in order to reach destinations and survive gunfights, only to be unfairly killed by an AI soldier who shot you whilst running, when you couldn’t even hit him that quick when prone and aiming down your sights.

• SuicideKing says:

It’s not missing a lot of glaring bugs, i can tell you that.

8. Synesthesia says:

I know that a campaign sounds well, and im happy for all the content, but i’d just rather they fix the performance issues, and that god-awful interaction menu. It’s absolutely obsolete. They don’t seem quite interested in fixing it though. There are hundereds of replies in the bug tracker for that, and not a single dev answer.

• SuicideKing says:

They have to fix the terrain warp, that camera position that causes water to disappear, climbing imaginary ladders, incorrect object collision, rocks allowing bullets to pass through and AI to look through, the entire flight model, the entire AI model, object pop, grass disappearing after a point, Picture-in-Picture being borderline unusable, etc.

Honestly, Arma 3 has some really ugly issues that i haven’t seen in any game i’ve played in my 15 years of PC gaming.

I love the concept of Arma, but the execution is borderline poor. This, despite people paying to Alpha and Beta test it for months.

I must have put over 40 hours of benchamarking, performance profiling and bug hunting out of the 70 that i’ve played. For what? Seeing grass materialize a meter in front of me.

9. guidom says:

goddamit does anyone make dynamic campaigns anymore? even DCS (which is about as realistic as a flight sim gets) doesn’t have a persistent campaign map. TAW, Falcon 4, hell even Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe had a dynamic campaign engine! end rant.

• P.Funk says:

If you understood anything about mission making then you’d probably be a bit more forgiving.

There exists for Arma 2 certain dynamic-ish mission types. There’s single session persistent Insurgency that involves randomly spawning enemies defending randomly spawning weapons caches which you find by clearing territory, gathering intel, and then blowing them up with satchel charges. Basically Project Reality’s insurgency mode in Arma with some extra bells and whistles, with or without adversarial, ie. human enemies.

Then there’s MSO, called Multi-Session Operations. Its called this because the idea is you build a base, you patrol territory, you drive enemies out of certain areas, and you save it so that the server can load it up again and you fight from the same base you built and go see whats happening in a few places you already fought.

These are heavily scripted missions that takes beefy dedicated servers to run and probably need a decent sized group, usually from a community, to run. Its out there, if you look.

The thing about Arma is that you can’t really expect anything to come easy. Arma is a game you work to play. Thats the reality, and if you don’t like it then you’re playing the wrong game. Its a different beast than Battlefield which is why I find it puzzling whenever someone makes a comparison between it and Arma.

10. jadejada849 says:

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing,,,,●►●►●►●►▶ http://www.max68.com

11. Mctittles says:

“Arma 3 arrived with a weather system, a day-and-night cycle”
    A day night cycle? Did they finally add a way to speed up time without messing your game up or is he just referring to the normal time that’s been there since Operation Flashpoint?