Can The Proven Lands Prove Itself?

By Jim Rossignol on October 12th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Sci-fi-survival exploration game Proven Lands – in which you are an astronaut stranded on an alien planet – is at a pretty early stage in development right now, but I am already sold on the idea: having crash-landed on a distant planet, you must find scattered bits of equipment from your craft, and survive the world’s alien biology, as well as your own traits and moods. What’s really got my attention, though, is the gorgeous art and the style of the world, which you can see in an early tech demo video, posted below.

There’s a Kickstarter coming. I hope they can flesh out this pitch a bit for it, because it looks like My Kind Of Thing.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rich says:

Looks lovely. Hopefully they finesse the ‘punch trees until they explode’ mechanic; it’s a bit Minecrafty.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yeah, I was impressed with the realistic movement until he started punching shit. Punching giant moss clumps in real life doesn’t look anything like that.

• cpt_freakout says:

But the astronaut’s marooned in Planet Punchbag 45×3, where punching is the most polite and standard social and natural mediator.

• Don Reba says:

And the reason the way he punches does not look the most natural to us is that he is following the proper punching etiquette on the alien planet.

• Chaz says:

I was thinking it looked a bit Zelda like actually. Replace swatting away small bushes to reveal hearts underneath with blue growths and yellow cubes.

• satsui says:

Punching trees in real life gets you wood. Haven’t you tried that?

2. kincajou says:

Looks great but for the moment i can’t help but shake the impression that it seems like a reskinned “don’t starve”. Not that that’s a terrible thing, mind you… i’m cautiously interested

3. trooperwally says:

Looks nice enough but how is this going to distinguish itself from Unclaimed World (http://unclaimedworld-game.com/) and vice versa? Though that’s a good problem for a PC gamer to have I guess, double the chances of a decent alien planet survival sim that’s fun!

• Chaz says:

When it comes to games, if you’ve had a great idea for a game, chances are someone else has had the same idea too. However I think this is a good thing, as more choice, when it comes to these things, is better. Whilst the general idea maybe the same, the design and implementation might be radically different.

• Rizlar says:

Reading the article my mind instantly went to Unclaimed World as well (despite not remembering what it was called). But yeah, they could do things very differently with an identical premise. From the little info available it seems like Proven Lands might be more arcadey, while UW seems to take itself a bit more seriously, more simulation-y.

• Assaf says:

Well, to be honest, Proved Lands’ art style looks much better to me.

• Stardreamer says:

Maybe this one will release before I die?

• Nebulus says:

They already did:

“Unclaimed World” is a single player game for the PC which combines the citybuilding and the sim genres, taking cues from games like Dwarf Fortress and The Settlers. You direct a small group of pioneers (…)

4. karthink says:

The premise (and the gameplay) remind me of Notrium.

5. Amun says:

Is his name Olimar?

6. Navagon says:

This looks like a direct rip off of Alien Plant Puncher.

7. LionsPhil says:

FIX.
    YOUR.
    GODDAMN.
    CAMERA.

I cannot wait for the huge horizontal smear to go out of fashion. It’s starting to make me nostalgic for the ubiquitous 3dfx lens flare.

8. Erinduck says:

So all they have are some assets and the default mechanim settings from Unity? This seems a little to… early to report on with any real consequence.

9. pyeriv says:

Don’t Starve in space?

10. jonahcutter says:

Looks kind of pretty, but also kind of slapdash and unimaginative. There doesn’t seem to be any coherence to the art.

The concept sounds like something I’d love (Don’t Starve-ish, as others have already pointed out). But the punch plants and pick up glowing cubes thing seems super gamey and out of place.

11. Keyrock says:

I like the idea, but the gameplay looks utterly dreadful.

12. rubywright says:

Love my job, since I’ve been bringing in $82h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I’m making it online… http://www.pro67.com

13. snv says:

Just checked: i stopped the video at 42 seconds, thats how long art style is interesting.
    Gameplay please!
    The genre is interesting (survival game without zombies), but way too less info there.

14. MrEvilGuy says:

The tech demo makes it look like a looting game. I’ll stick to my Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon, thank you very much.

15. Cinek says:

IS that a game for iPad? Because surely it looks like one. Controls seem to be designed for touch devices.

Comment on this story