Affordable Augment Act – Deus Ex: HR Director’s Cut Priced

By Nathan Grayson on October 14th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Hah, get it? Director's *Cut*, because my elbow is a sword and now you're dying!

The next bright, gold sun in the Deus Ex Universe might be on the way, but that doesn’t mean we’ve seen all Deus Ex: Human Revolution has to offer just yet. There’s more stuff – some of which was cut. By directors. But now it’s back, and some of it is entirely new. Also, Eidos Montreal is claiming that boss fights are now less awful. Is it an honest-to-goodness miracle or merely hyper-sophisticated science in the trench-coat-clad guise of wizardry? We’ll probably never know. But I can say this much with certainty: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut is just around the corner, and it’s actually quite cheap – especially if you already own the vanilla version of HR.

Conveniently, pricing will be tiered for every possible configuration of DXHR ownership. If you’ve already picked up the main game and its Missing Link DLC, the Director’s Cut will only run you £3.49/€3.99/$4.99. Vanilla HR sans DLC will bump the price up to £6.99/€7.99/$9.99, and the complete package – assuming you for some reason deprived yourself of a fine stroll through the conspiratorial cyberpark – will go for £12.99/€19.99/$19.99.

All in all, not bad. But what’s actually new here? Observe:

“It contains the full Human Revolution game, plus all DLC packs (the Missing Link, the Explosive Mission Pack, and the Tactical Enhancement Pack) – along with some improvements to the boss fights… which you’ll probably find really useful. Not only that, but there’s a New Game + feature, so you can replay through the action with all your previously-earned upgrades intact, there are developer commentaries (English-only) plus the original Making-of video.”

Goodies, in other words. Some of which will help you bash baddies, while others will just tell you deep, dark development secrets. Not bad for just a few bucks.

It’ll be out on October 22nd in North America and October 25th everywhere else for no apparent reason. Is it on your radar? The one inside your totally-OK-to-wear-at-night sunglasses? That you drew because that technology doesn’t exist yet? That you got punched in the teeth for wearing because – no matter how moody and atmospheric the cyberfuture gets – it will never be alright to don sunglasses at night?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Rukumouru says:

The last bit about the sunglasses reminds me why I come here so often.

19.99$ translating to 19.99€ is the usual pricing bullshit that will make me avoid this deal until it gets further cuts in europe, though.

• Detocroix says:

I occasionally see spam messages about mother working blah blah on RockPaperShotgun and your message first felt like it. Better content, but the overall setup of the message :)

But yeah, It’s really annoying that Steam (and steam publishers) default to 19.99$ -> 19.99€ and sometimes even 19.99£

• drinniol says:

Isn’t it because of taxes? USD prices are always tax exclusive from what I’ve heard.

• HadToLogin says:

Nope, it’s because they can and gamers buy it without a single care – mostly because lots of AAA new-gaming happens on consoles, so it’s not that easy to see how badly you’re ripped off because you live in other place (on Pc it’s easy, just add ?cc=XX after steam address , where XX is some country code, just don’t type RU and know 100 rub is around $3-4, which will make you know that Xcom Enemy Within is for them for around $12, while CoD Ghosts for around $25 – good to know piracy causes higher prices, right?).

Same reason publishers used when asked why Australian prices are STILL as high as they are – “because Aussies still buy it”.

• AngoraFish says:

because [insert nation here] still buy it” is ultimately all that needs to be said about region pricing… after all, capitalism.

Still, I’m personally happy to be one of a clearly small minority who have made the effort to finesse the art of the proxy server.

• Convolvulus says:

From Steam support:

“If you made an online order for a Valve product and you are an international customer there may be taxes or VAT charges included in your purchase.”

So, depending on a country’s currency and VAT rates, it could be reasonable pricing in some cases (excepting Australia’s undeniable shit end of the stick).

• Panda Powered says:

http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs You can compare between regions there. The ‘top rip-off’ page I linked is quite fun…

• LionsPhil says:

US Steam users pay the price which is displayed; there is no unseen tax in this case.

The usual argument I’ve heard for regional pricing is varying levels of disposable income between countries changing what the “market price” for something is, but this then doesn’t seem to fly when the US is quite often cheaper than the UK, EU, and Australia.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Not true – U.S. Steam users do in fact pay taxes on top of the displayed price. Well, most should – some states don’t have a sales tax, so users living in those areas probably get away with the displayed price. But that’s not true in my case, that’s for certain.

• LionsPhil says:

Interesting. Varies by state, then.

• Convolvulus says:

I believe Valve only collects sales tax from Washington state residents. The general rule is that companies are required to do so only when they have a physical presence in the consumer’s state.

• SuicideKing says:

Interesting, we in India pay US prices on Steam, and have to pay no tax.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Convolvulus – I pay tax on Steam purchases, and I live outside Washington.

• Baines says:

The laws for state taxes vary by state.

The general rule is that if you have a physical presence in a state, then you have to charge sales tax. Some states, seeing the increase in internet sales and wanting more easy money, have pushed for an enacted laws requiring people pay sales tax on all internet purchases. But there isn’t a way to really enforce it, so you end up with stuff like North Carolina’s “fill in your internet purchases tax” spot on the yearly tax form.

The large traditional retailers support these laws, because they already have to charge sales tax for their online sales due to having a physical presence in most/all states.

The states and large retailers get together and lobby Congress to pass a federal law every now and then, as well. The most recent is the Marketplace Fairness Act. The majority of the population opposes these laws, but the Marketplace Fairness Act apparently made it through the Senate.

• tetracycloide says:

what is specially odd here is the day seem to recognize that it’s b******* for every other price point.

2. Anthile says:

We had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world.

3. RedViv says:

But I need them! Medically prescribed because I require their aid in seeing light right in front of my eyes!

4. Rich says:

…unless you’re blind?

5. Grayman says:

Has there been any word on if a saved game be moved from one version to the other?

• RobinOttens says:

Curious about this too, since I’ve recently been playing through the first bits of HR again, with the intent of finishing at some later time.

I suspect not though, integrating the Missing Link DLC in there sounds like enough of a change to the structure of the game to make saved games incompatible.

I’ll probably buy this eventually anyway, even though I thought the Missing Link was unnecessary and boring and the boss fights in the main game weren’t all that bad.

6. luukdeman111 says:

Wow Squeenix,thats actually pretty cool! Not screwing over your older customers.. Thanks!

7. Crimsoneer says:

Awesome news. I was worried about this when they went quiet for awhile, so this is a relief :)

8. c-Row says:

Does anybody actually know how the boss fights are different from the vanilla game?

• Sheng-ji says:

“The boss fights are now as they should have been,” Emile Pedneault, game designer on the Director’s Cut told us today at (Redacted). “We took them and completely rebuilt them. We couldn’t change [the boss' character] model and the way they need to die because of the story telling, but we changed the level layout. We tweaked their AI and we’ve added tons of ways to deal with them.”

He continued, “You can deal with a boss fight in a stealth way, you can deal with a boss fight in a hacking way. We even have for each boss fight a way to kill them without firing a single bullet.”

Pedneault showed us the first boss fight, pointing out all the different ways that it could now be completed using other skills beyond “throw every grenade in your inventory and just keep shooting.” There are several corridors now for stealth attacks and turrets for hacking, along with other goodies for players to discover.

• The First Door says:

Woo! That’s great news! I never finished the game originally, so picking this up might be just the excuse I need…

• c-Row says:

Well, that sounds much more like Deus Ex now.

• Ross Angus says:

I was hoping for an option to sneak past without alerting them, and leaving a single whoopee cushion on their favourite chair, but OK. Fine. This will do.

• Panda Powered says:

Is there an option to bypass the fight entirely by quitting the game and changing your system time one week forward so they die of old age?

• mwoody says:

That remains one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, boss fights of all time. Never in a game have I spent 10 minutes lying in the grass, just watching… and listening.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Which game was this?

• amateurviking says:

Metal Gear? It can’t be…

• applecup says:

MGS3, I believe.

• Panda Powered says:

Indeed. Games need more super un-epic sniper duel bosses with a million options. I must’ve spent at least three hours in that “fight” the first time. It was really fun to piss him off by eating his “spotter” – the parrot.
            Not only could you bypass the fight by setting the clock forward 7 days. You could snipe him while he sleeps in his wheelchair earlier in the game (causing the wheelchair to explode and you to be hit by one of the wheels).

• fish99 says:

They feature more betterness.

9. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

I bought the full version for £4 and never played it. Now I need to not play it for even longer so I can wait for this new version to get down to £4, so I can buy it and then never get round to playing it.

10. Boffin says:

I’m not so sure this is such a great deal. When CD Projekt made the “proper” version of the Witcher, it was free if you’d already bought the original (apparently inferior) game. The discount is nice and all, but I’m not comfortable with paying for something that mostly sounds mostly like fixes/things that should’ve been in the game already. The last Metro copped heaps of flak for making an extra difficulty dlc, and I don’t see why this shouldn’t get the same reception.

• Bull0 says:

I’m mixed. Fixing the boss fights should be free, because they were a joke before. I don’t mind paying for the other stuff.

• Boffin says:

That said, I’ll probably shell out for it once it’s on sale and I feel like another playthrough, since it probably is worth ~$5. It just doesn’t sound that exciting/kind of cash-grabby

• jalf says:

How many other games make significant gameplay changes after release, for free?

“The gameplay was bad before” does not usually mean they have an obligation to change it for free.
        Heck, most don’t even fix actual bugs.

It would sure be *nice* if they changed the boss fights for free, but I’m not sure I see why they would be expected to do so.

• Bull0 says:

“Most don’t fix actual bugs” is a moot point, because they absolutely should. If a game has glaring bugs and they don’t commit to supporting them you deserve your money back. Plenty of games get great post-release support. The ones that get repeat business and sequels etc do, anyway.

That aside, when you release with serious gameplay issues, such as the boss fights that don’t begin to gel with the rest of the game, you think seriously about fixing those in a patch, the same as bugs. Again, plenty of games get good post-release support.

Even aside from that, I don’t think I’m ever going to be OK with *paying* for content which just fixes a major flaw with the original game. Ask yourself where that road ends.

• Crimsoneer says:

I don’t know, the feature list is pretty damn extensive. New Game +, grenade throwback, developer comentary, and probably some other stuff they haven’t revealed yet. Not bad for a fiver.

• Bull0 says:

Like I said above, I don’t mind paying for that stuff.

• Sandepande says:

Well, there are those who actually liked the boss fights, so maybe the gameplay issues weren’t that bad. However, I cheated my way through the bosses. They were simply horrible.

I’ll be happily paying for this, nothing encourages slightly better game design like money, and if I had my tinfoil hat on, I’d say that nothing encourages slightly odd game design like the prospect of money from releasing fixes to those oddities.

• Bull0 says:

Sorry, not trying to be rude but I don’t totally understand your last point – are you saying you want to buy it because you agree that changing the boss fights is good design, and you’re encouraging that with money, but you get that it also encourages people to release odd designs and then charge for putting them right?

• drewski says:

I’d be perfectly happy for the Director’s Cut to have everything *but* the bossfight fixes in it, because yes, New Game+ and the commentaries (and whatever else) are actually genuinely new content.

The bossfights aren’t new content, they’re stopping the game being broken. That should be a patch, not behind a paywall.

• Lemming says:

Let’s get some perspective: The game wasn’t released with ‘serious game play issues’. The boss fights were just crap. There’s a huge difference. Remember it’s the WiiU release driving this, not some hardcore Deus Ex fan appeasement.

• Panda Powered says:

Paying for New Game+ is bullshit. If the rest of the game is touched up here and there and not just the bosses then that part is worth it. Maybe.

And “Most don’t fix actual bugs”. Not really applicable on DXHR but yes, developers shouldn’t t be excused because other don’t fix bugs.
            At least severe bugs that should be discovered and fixed in testing and top issues reported after release.
            I haven’t bought a single EA game since they thought it was a good idea to release The Saboteur without telling anyone it wasn’t working on ATI + Windows 64-bit combinations. AMD had to fix it in the driver since EA/Pandemic didn’t patch it until 10 days after release with a beta patch and then dropped all support because it tanked. (The patch locks the game to one core. Good fix…).

• Boffin says:

Is it a significant gameplay change though? They re-did the boss environments so they’re not just arenas – threw in all the pre-order dlc and gave you the option to keep your augs when you start a new game. Is there more than that?

Contrast that with something like the witcher, where they re-did a heap of the game and threw in extra content, and then gave it to people for free.

Normally games get a GOTY with all the dlc or whatever, and that’s cool. I think it’s rare for games to make a “better than the original” edition at all, most just patch their games.

• drewski says:

Because they released their game with the essentially broken (thematically, if not technically) boss fights in it.

It’d be like Bethesda releasing Skyrim with dragons that were the size of a mouse and you could step on to kill, then saying “what? It works fine. $5 for us to put proper dragons in it.”

• Bull0 says:

Yes, that.

• Mr.Snowy says:

Agree, Square Enix are charging customers to install what should have just been patched in. I don’t see how this is a good deal from any perspective, gotta be honest.

• Lemming says:

No, it’s more like if Skyrim was released and you could only fight Dragons with melee weapons and shouts.

• Bull0 says:

Still a huge problem which good developers would still fix.

• LionsPhil says:

How many other games make significant gameplay changes after release, for free?

It’s at this point that I have to bring up UT2004, just to remind us how far we have fallen.

• P.Funk says:

Reminding the kids that there was gaming 10+ years ago and that it was awesome? Yea…

Everytime I think about how gaming worked a while ago I feel very very old.

• Prolar Bear says:

While I understand that the devs need to get paid for their work, 8 bucks if you own the original game without DLC seems quite steep to me.

• Dozer says:

The original game came out, what, over two years ago? I’m not going to begrudge Squeenix $5 for fixing the boss fights.

• drewski says:

I will given *it’s their fault it’s in there in the first place*.

• Lemming says:

Then you can pretend they were never offered and live a happy life. The rest of us, meanwhile can get these extras (boss fights being only a single aspect of them), for what amounts to a pint and a half.

• Bull0 says:

Worth pointing out that by saying “I don’t feel comfortable paying for gameplay fixes” we’re not saying you shouldn’t too. Fill your boots! :)

• drewski says:

Well you are, of course, entitled to pay for patches if you like.

I for one hope this doesn’t become a trend.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I certainly don’t begrudge them, but I don’t really feel like paying them for it either. Maybe when it’s 75% off on Steam, maybe…

11. Shockeh says:

I’m going to be all over this. I was only talking last night to a few friends on Mumble about how great that game was, how it was only marred by the boss fights and how I’d love to replay it with a more lethal playthrough (The Masochist in me decided going for ‘Pacifist’ and ‘Foxiest of the Hounds’ on my first playthrough was a good idea.) – My only dislike of that run was the sheer number of fun toys that I couldn’t ever use as a consequence, so this is perfect for me.

I’m really hopeful for Thief actually, if only because I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Eidos Montreal’s first two games.

12. drewski says:

So, being as I already own The Missing Link and both expandy DLC packs, Eidos basically want to charge me $5 for New Game+ and to fix the boss fights.

Fuck. That.

• kael13 says:

There’s graphical updates, too.

• welverin says:

Developer commentary and making of video, amazing how people don’t pay attention.

• DatonKallandor says:

What if all you want is a not-broken game and don’t care about the developers commentating on why their fucking game was broken and they had to charge you to fix it and listen to them whine about why their game was broken and they had to charge you to fix it and listen to them whine about it.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Except it isn’t a broken game. It’s a game that features boss fights that were not well received. Is Half-Life a broken game because Xen was shit?

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

God your life is hard

• drewski says:

Neither are broken games, but both have very bad parts in otherwise good games.

Offering to make your game stop sucking in a fundamental way that it sucks in exchange for money is not a consumer-friendly business model.

If Valve had offered to fix Xen in a DLC, it would be no less objectionable. But at least you can just stop playing Half Life at the Xen bit and not miss anything, whilst you have to suck up the awfulness of DX:HRs bossfights if you want to actually enjoy the rest of the game.

• drewski says:

That’s a little bit arrogant. I was paying attention; I happen to not find such fripperies worthy of noting.

• Ragnar says:

Couldn’t care less about developer commentary or making of videos, or the dlc packs that add unnecessary weapons. I just want the poorly designed boss fights fixed.

“It’ll only cost you $X to buy a fixed version if our game” seems somewhat galling.

Just another reason to respect and appreciate CD Project.

13. TheSplund says:

Odd, I couldn’t find the £3.49 upgrade option for my original purchase (DeusEx:HR & Missing Link DLC) but Steam was showing £12.99; after adding it to my wishlist I notice it’s now simply saying ‘This game will unlock in approximately 1 week, 3 days and 22 hours’ and is not giving me the option to buy – I like where this is going.

• corey321 says:

I’m sure it will show up closer before release. Also I’m pretty curious how this will be handled, since the main game and the DLC are 2 different products on Steam. Will they merge it, or only add a patch to the main game including the DLC, with achievements, or adding a completely different Director’s Cut product with another 8 GB download?

• HadToLogin says:

I think it will be new product.
        On the other hand, Square Enix proved they can delete your games from your library without your consents, so who knows, maybe they will delete Missing Link from libraries, and make both “patch” that will only put it into DEHR story and then “New Game +” DLC, or something like that..

• Panda Powered says:

Are you referring to Order of War: Challenge being removed from peoples libraries because Squeenix shut down the servers and couldn’t be arsed to remove the authentication for playing it solo?

“Unfortunately the game is no longer supported and that is why it would have been removed from your Steam list. Please note that this was done within the EULA that you have agreed to when signing up with Steam and purchasing the game.”

• welverin says:

It’s entirely possible the upgrades with be listed as DLC for the original version, presuming it keeps it’s own listing.

14. Lewie Procter says:

I can’t possibly agree with the notion that we should be pleased about being asked to pay for a patch.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Even ignoring the commentary etc., the patch is not essential. The boss fights were thoroughly crappy, but they weren’t broken. The game was completable regardless of your character build, although for some builds the boss fights were extremely hard (possibly requiring a change of tactics), and with other builds they were extremely easy (e.g. with typhoon).

And so the patch is optional. I would be thrilled if they had made this stuff free, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to demand it.

15. MeestaNob says:

If I could pre-order I would. Great price.

DX:HR deserved better than the boss fights their sub-contractors dished up…

16. Spoon Of Doom says:

I guess it’s a good thing that my easily distracted mind and my Backlog Of Doom have prevented me from playing this for more than a few hours. Now I can wait a bit more and then play the “proper” version. Hooray!

17. ratache says:

How about patch the bossfights for free, I don’t care about developer commentary. Jeez.

18. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Will certainly think about this, but I feel that a lot of the above should maybe wait on more news on this before deciding. They currently say that it will include better boss fights and new game+, but not only those things. There are somewhat vague “graphical improvements” as well as gameplay tweaks added in, as well as commentary. If it turns out that the tweaks to gameplay or the graphical update are significant, then it makes sense to charge for this, just like any GOTY-style release. If they’re limited in their scope, then it won’t be worth it probably.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I do want to show SQ-EN and Eidos that PC games are worth investing time and money into to do right, letting us take advantage of the extra graphical power we have over consoles, as well as playing games that aren’t laced with QTEs and linear levels. It might be too late for this Thief game, but we can at least hold out hope.

19. jonahcutter says:

Fixing the boss fights should of been a free patch post-release. Especially for a game that was so successful.

Hell, I kind of think the same for adding in a game+ mode. It’s the type of thing that should of been included in the original release, and if time didn’t permit, patched in after. Hopefully existing saves (if people still have them) can be used for the game+. Otherwise you’re talking about two more full playthroughs of a game many probably already have completed multiple playthroughs, to get any worth out of the new “content”. And I’m no programmer, but it doesn’t seem like something difficult or expensive for them to implement. Charging for a game+ mode at this point in a game’s lifespan seems a bit crass.

I don’t see how “integrating” The Missing Link (which was great DLC btw) into the narrative flow justifies a fee. You can easily do the same yourself, by stopping your playthrough and switching to the DLC at the appropriate moment. There is no effect upon the overall narrative nor progression (that I remember), as your character is reset at the beginning of the DLC.

Developer commentary is legit new content that some may be willing to pay more for.

Except for the developer commentary, none of this feels like it justifies any new charges. Seems very cash-grabby.

• Crimsoneer says:

Jesus, a lot of people paid under a fiver for this during the steam sales. It was a critically acclaimed game. Nobody was under any obligation to fix anything at all.

• jonahcutter says:

Sorry, I don’t see the connection between them patching in gameplay fixes and a simple game+ mode, and the game sometimes going on a distributor’s sale.

There is no obligation for them to provide quality boss fights. But exactly because the game was so successful, fixing the most maligned and out-of-place elements of the game isn’t something I think they -should- charge for. They’ve already made a mint from the game. They should do the classy thing and fix the cheesiest and most slapped together (even according to themselves) part of the game. Without charging extra for it.

• Bull0 says:

A lot of other people paid full retail for it too.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Who paid what isn’t the point.

• drewski says:

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Eidos were obligated to fix the boss battles, just that they’re going to charge to fix something that shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

20. DrScuttles says:

Though I appreciate having multiple ways to take out the bosses, I was hoping for non-lethal options. Even if you can take Prescribed Hacking Route For Boss A having spent hours carefully sneaksing about, making sure the greatest damage you inflict on your foes is a thudding headache the next day, it’s still going to be a little strange to see Jensen suddenly get the blood lust on even if his method is thematically consistent with your established playstyle. The Missing Link did this well but in context of the story, I can appreciate that killing the main game’s bosses outright is probably a lot more justified.
    But then again, Doctor Who has the occasional bout of cold-blooded murder despite being typically the sort of person to espouse pacifism to anyone and everyone he meets. So what do I know.

• welverin says:

Killing the bosses is a requirement of the story, I wonder though, if you can take them out non-lethally and the kill will stay in the cut scenes.

• colw00t says:

If memory serves, they all actually self-destruct in the cutscenes. I know the first guy does, in a last-chance attempt to kill Adam. So non-lethal takedowns shouldn’t conflict with the story – Adam tries to take them down but they refuse to be captured… kaboom.

• robjwells says:

Can’t remember if they all self-destruct, though Barrett certainly does.

In vanilla DXHR, you can use non-lethal methods on all of the bosses but the game just decides that you’ve killed them once their hit points are depleted. For instance, my preferred way of beating Barrett is to spam the stun gun, and with Namir I use the wall-jump exploit to use the non-lethal takedown and KO him.

Both result in the same outcome: the boss dies. I don’t imagine they’ll have changed that, which would be a shame — I think the way they handled the non-lethal approach with the Missing Link boss fight was good and worth repeating. (You get moaned at for not finishing him off for good, leaving someone else to come up with a “permanent solution” .)

21. fish99 says:

About time I played this since I own the game + DLC but never tried it. I’ll happily pay the £3.50 for a better experience.

22. strangeloup says:

I feel this is a good opportunity to link this excellent version of Sunglasses At Night, released during the approximately ten minutes in which electroclash was a thing.

23. Panda Powered says:

‘Wot We Backported From The New WiiU Edition’ Edition.

• Low Life says:

*’Wot We Backported From The New WiiU Edition When We Realized That The WiiU Version Would Only Sell a Few Thousand Copies’ Edition

• Baines says:

Particular when the Wii U version is $20 more than even the other consoles. ($50 for Wii U version, $30 for 360 and PS3 versions.)

At least in the US. I understand other regions are getting more comparable pricing schemes.

24. Guiscard says:

Good that they’ve structured the pricing depending on what you own, rather than a flat full price. In an ideal world, though, everyone would follow CDProject’s lead: “I say there, sir. You had some niggles with our game, so we overhauled huge sections of it! Because you already own it, have them for free, then tell your friends to pick up the new version from the shops!”

25. Vivi says:

I don’t see what the big deal about the pricing is. As recently as a few months ago all of the DLC cost more than $20, so this is a good deal.

Everyone did wait on the DLC right? Seeing as how every post pertaining to DLC is full of “I’ll wait for the GOTY version” comments, I have to assume that you did.

26. defunct says:

I’ve played through the game about four time, all as stealth runs. I tried one combat run, but got bored. I still haven’t received that ‘no alarm’ achievement. I got the stealth run, though. So I was able to stealth the entire game, but I some how set off an alarm (I’ve read it might be because I left an unconscious guy somewhere and he was spotted after I left the area). That’s always bugged me. Anyway, looking forward to playing through this one again. I’m anxious to see the changes in the boss fights, actually, because they’ve been such a pain as I like augs that help stealth, not combat. I still haven’t come close to how many times I played the original Deus Ex, though. I loved the story on that one.

27. Moraven says:

I was tempted to get this on the Wii U until I saw it retailing for $50… Yah I got the Steam version for $5 on a sale and have not played it yet. Might get this during the holiday sale for $2-3.

28. soopytwist says:

If the directors cut removes the sucky boss fights I might actually play it again. If not….go away, out of my face.

29. Lagwolf says:

An excuse to play more DX: HR… oh damn & blast… if I must.

30. Morte66 says:

Damn it, I just finished it this weekend. Mostly played in the last month. Even at that very reasonable pricing, I don’t need it.

I need a time machine.

31. kud13 says:

While it’d be nice if this was a free patch, i will probably buy this for 5 bucks (I bought Missing ling at some Steam sale for like 2 buck a while back). Here is why:

New Boss fights–the inherently thematically broken part of the game. They are fixed now, and it is good.

-most importantly: Missing Link Integration. Missing Link was made on a later iteration of the HR engine, which is the reason it had more graphical pretties (Like the super-realistic fog), which made it incompatible with the rest of the game. The fact that it now slots into the story suggests that EM overhauled the entirety of HR, putting the entire game in the newer engine, adding larger areas for boss battles. That is a crap-ton of content to re-create, even if all you’re doing is porting it to a newer engine.

For that reason, I feel it’s worth 5 bucks. Squeeenix is no CDP, sadly, they won’t give away stuff for free. But this is a good deal, even without the fluff like new game + and director’s commentary

32. kaloth says:

So we’re paying $5 for what is essentially a patch to fix broken/stupid boss fights and add a game mode that should have been there to start with (both of the other “bonus” DLC were available free with preorders, so it doesn’t count for crap). Awesome.

33. dethtoll says:

Not gonna lie — was ready to shell out up to $40 for this puppy, despite owning the original and the DLC. That I don’t have to makes me happy in my wallet.

34. welverin says:

CDProjeckt is a developer, not a publisher.

35. welverin says:

It’s not so easy to add things in when they get cut really early, or in some cases in concept phase, which is what happened to the other areas in this.

36. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Very much this. I didn’t mind the boss fights, though they were obviously clumsy. But god, that awful last level. Like it was pasted in from a different game.

37. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

CDProjekt is also a distributor/publisher in Poland (and were so long before they started a development studio). And their other company GOG is also becoming a publisher now (not just a distributor).

38. FriendlyFire says:

You want 10 more hours of gameplay for a fiver? Are you out of your mind?

Good grief, entitlement.