Super-Pretty Survival Puzzle FPS Raindrop Kickstarts

By Jim Rossignol on October 14th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Craig was rather impressed with our initial glimpses of Raindrop, a very pretty survival FPS which has been in slow development as a Source mod for many years. Now though it’s made the jump to Unity in order to materialise as a standalone project. The survival space is beginning to looks quite busy now, and Raindrop aims to stand apart by being “a surreal, environment driven, survival game that includes fully explorable levels with intuitive, complex puzzles.” An FPS puzzler and survival game? Does this see the FPS puzzle legacy of the past few years finally colliding with the survival genre?

Watch the video, because this one’s a beauty.

Talented folks, no? But is it enough to get them the $144,000 they desire?

1. Never Relax Around Japs says:

I kind of prefer the Source engine look, it has more sharpness to it. Makes it feel more “fresh” and rain-y.

• Xbone420 says:

I love how light the Engine is on post-processing effects. It makes everything look, as you said, nice and crisp unlike Cryengine or Unreal where everything’s a blurry mess.

• dankweir says:

the story of Bradley is`cool, two weeks ago, my father’s sister also received a 8465 dollar check, working 40 hours per month from home Learn more about this site —–>>

w­w­w.J­o­B­S­5­3.C­o­M

• cunningmunki says:

You know, I had the same thought when playing the Stanley Parable demo this week. I just love the look and movement of Source-built games, there’s something about it that just makes me happy.

2. xcession says:

A kickstarter video where the creators *don’t* gesture awkwardly with their hands? WILL NOT BACK!

But seriously, yeah this looks pretty sweet.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

This teaser looks really good and I’m looking forward to seeing more gameplay. However my Awkward-O-Tron was still detecting the influence of at least a couple of hours on a Media Body Language training course for the gentleman with the glasses here and there :) That said I would be a gibbering orangutan so well done dev guy

3. Premium User Badge Hodge says:

This looks incredible.

4. InternetBatman says:

If Mutant Football League can get over $100k I’m sure this can too.

• Premium User Badge Oozo says:

Then again, “The Long Dark” Kickstarter, while being succesful, did not really set the world afire. And that one was asking for “only” 200’000 dollars, and had a bunch of veterans on board.

Still, as somebody who likes the survival genre (is it a genre?), I wish them luck.

• Alien426 says:

Kickstarter is weird lately.
        Hyper Light Drifter asks for 27.000 $ and gets 645.158 $ (2.389%). Blood Alloy fails. Taxi Journey fails… again!
        I can only hope that Reborn doesn’t get funded.

• Premium User Badge Oozo says:

Yes, “Hyper Light Drifter” was… surprising. I did back it, on the strength of the visuals alone (I am that kind of superficial), but then it exploded, and I felt a bit… weird about having backed it.

I have to admit, though, that I have not even heard of “Taxi Journey”. And may I ask what is the problem with “Reborn”? (Not that I had heard much about that one, either… I miss the Katchup.)

• Alien426 says:

My problems with Reborn: excessive marketing talk, using set-pieces to show “we are gamers just like you”, the developer’s site: fancy, but without content. No gameplay video or screenshots, only concept art.

It all screams scam to me.

Even if they were able to get all the stuff done as they claim, the 200.000 $ that is their funding goal will surely not be enough. If you saw their Kickstarter video, please tell me what you think. Some folks in the Dtoid comments have voiced similar concerns, though, so I guess I’m not crazy.

• InternetBatman says:

Kickstart is working exactly the way it should now.

Hyperlight Drifter had the best pitch video I have ever seen. The graphics were pretty, the music was amazing, and the video was wonderfully choreographed. I thought about backing it, but it became clear they already had more money than they knew what to do with.

Here on some other successes from this month alone:
          Shantae – A platformer from a group of developers skilled at making platformers
          Mighty No. 9 – A spiritual sequel from a legendary Japanese designer
          Rebuild – turn-based zombie sim-city (from a successful series of flash games)
          Sunless Sea – Underground Underwater exploration in a mix between Victorian and Cthonic mythos
          River City Ransom Underground – A beat-em-up with a famous name
          Project Phoenix (dubious about this one) – A JRPG with some famous hands and some pretty watercolors
          The Fall – Story driven exploration of a dark world
          Lords of Xulima – Ultima style open world exploration
          Octopus City Blues – Exploration of a dark, thematic, and completely alien world that sells incredible reactivity
          Neo-Victorian Skirmish Squad – A game where you dice battle mythical creatures at a finishing school
          DC WWII: Europe 1944 – A realistic WWII flight Sim
          Neverending Nightmares – An Edward Gorey horror explorer based of the creator’s OCD
          Pulsar: 3D cooperative starship bridge controller game set in a randomized universe.

I list all these things just because I’m amazed at the novelty, beauty, and variety that is currently being funded by kickstarter right now. Every week when I look at them I see something new and interesting:

Taxi Journey, while beautiful, started a campaign where they came back with a lower funding total after missing the first time around, and offered little new footage. That is not exactly confidence inspiring. Blood Alloy wanted $15 for a 2D platformer shooter with dark, industrial art.

There are a ton of games that I want to get funded (like Terminus, Castle Breakers, Knite & the Ghost Lights (back this!), and Legend of the Lancer), and I think the lack of a kickstarter katchup on RPS really hurts struggling games. Even then, kickstarter is working the way it should. People are getting what they want and variety is increasing.

• Alien426 says:

I am excited about certain Kickstarter projects. Many of them you already mentioned. I’m happy that RimWorld does so well…
            Taxi Journey seemed similar to Machinarium to me. And I thought it was covered pretty well… before I read Oozo’s comment. Unlike, say Centration’s first video, I thought theirs always explained well what the game was gonna be.

5. slingshot says:

hmmm, all I get is a black box. Anyone else having problems playing this video?

6. Hypnotic Geese says:

This project has switched engines so much over the years with no gameplay to show for itself to the point where I can’t believe that it will ever be finished.

They’re good artists, but I’ve never even seen a working prototype.

• Gamboni says:

This doesn’t have the air of a project that will ever be finished, but I’ll be happily surprised if it is because I just pledged $15. Would have pledged more, but it’s a risky one.

• Moraven says:

I think every game features “Advanced enemy pathfinding and combat AI for realistic battles” but they really don’t.
      They are not easy things to program for and develop. If there was some gameplay showing this (or any gameplay) I would back it instantly.

They have shown they are great environmental designers. Has any of their maps shown up in any Source mods? Be fun to take them for a spin in Garry’s Mod or CS:S.

7. The Random One says:

Maybe I’m letting my excitement cloud my judgement – some people are questioning weather this game can even be done by the pour devs – but even when placed humid other interesting survival games this is the only one I find dripping with atmosphere. I think I’ll storm out of here, drop by their Kickstarter, and shower them with money.

8. Lev Astov says:

Every time I see this game come up, it reminds me of another that was teased a year or so ago, but I cannot remember the name of. It was some kind of post apocalyptic puzzle game and was teased with a video of a large robot waking up along side the road in the middle of a deserted city. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

9. Morte66 says:

I look at a pitch like this, and I think “It could be brilliant, or it could end up completely forgettable”. So I don’t back them, I wait until they come out and see what the reviews say. Then I pay more if the reviews are good, rather than paying less for a game that may disappoint me.

Well, I though maybe people pondering the mysteries of Kickstarter might want to know that.

• AngoraFish says:

The problem with this attitude is that you potentially miss out on some fantastic games that never get made due to insufficient funding.

If you’re happy with the current crop of games, and happy to let the big distributors dictate what games get made, then Kickstarter is not for you. Which is fine.

For what it’s worth, I’m personally very happy with a less than 100% hit rate (actually, 33% would be fine) if it means the world gets to see a few brilliant gems that reinvigorate old genres, or invent new ones.

• The Random One says:

You could wait for the game to go on sale, thus paying less at the cost of waiting longer…

10. Sleepymatt says:

Am I the only one that wants to kickstart a DVD of this guy playing guitar?