Teleglitch DLC Offers Musical Death Arsenal

By Jim Rossignol on October 14th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Masterful top-down shooter Teleglitch – which is appalling difficult, and one of my favourite games of the year (or last year, really) – has a DLC, and it’s called Guns And Tunes. This is fairly self explanatory: new music to score your inevitable death, and some new guns. There will be right more monster-mincing tools, and you’ll even be able to select which of them you want to start the game with, or choose to have them randomised for you at the outset. The DLC costs £0.99.

You can read about what we made of Teleglitch just here.

, , , .

1. almostDead says:

Isn’t there a little bit of confusion about this; people thought this was a kicking game soundtrack, but it’s not. It’s not actually a synchronised in-game soundtrack, and is, instead a selection of tunes.

LTK says:

Yeah, it’s kind of misleading, Jim should really clarify this in the article. The music included in the DLC is not playing in the game. It’s just a separate soundtrack, they had plans to integrate ambient and action music into the game, but it interfered with the sound effects, so it never happened.

• Coldfall says:

This is the problem with regurgitating press releases.

• Hallowsend says:

Yeah, really really misleading. Would be nice to have a “new music to score your inevitable death”, but this DLC won’t give it unless you’re finding the files and playing them via a media player. A patch to turn this into in-game music would rock.

CelticPixel says:

Agreed, it’s one of the best games this year. I’ve made it to level 8, which makes me feel like I actually have some gamer credibility after continuing to play all FPS games ever on the easiest setting despite considering myself ‘hardcore’ in my gaming habits (blame it on boss battles). I also like that they’ve added an achievement for completing each level. In most games that would be the lamest achievement possible but in Teleglitch completing a level actually means something.

Henke says:

That defenitely gives you gamer cred! :D I’ve played it for around 8 hours now and the furthest I’ve made it is the end of level 6.

I looked up the Global Steam Achievements and it said that only 0.8% of players have gotten the achievement for getting to level 6 so I’m feeling kinda badass about it. B|

3. Lobotomist says:

Word of warning – its another game that doesnt save progress.
    I thought its a roguelike that saves upon exit. But not. Its pretty much like Spelunky where you need to pass certain number of levels (which can take forever) to open option to start from certain level.

I really dont see the point of such save game restriction , unless they wanted to artificially prolong game time.

For someone that has limited time to play, it makes the game unplayable.
    Real bad choice…

• Mr. Mister says:

I guess they really want to prevent you from backuping save files.

• Kefren says:

You may be right, but I always feel if a player wants to do that, there isn’t a legitimate reason to stop them. We should all be able to play however we want. On some games I boost the difficulty: my greatest achievements were completing Doom Thy Flesh Consumed, every level of all four campaigns plus secret levels on Ultraviolence in one session without dying once. Also completing Hexen without dying in one sitting, equivalent difficulty. At the same time, sometimes I want to make a game easier, so I can practice harder levels. I may want to save any time and go back to that save. In a world where you could have to stop a game unexpectedly, it’s annoying to not be able to save when you want.

• Lobotomist says:

I am not even asking for normal save (the one you can reload). Just a simple save on exit – something every roguelike gives. That including any hardcore roguelike , including real hardcore choices like Dark Souls (not roguelike) So i guess “we want to make it hardcore” is not valid excuse.

As I see it. Its just a very lame excuse to force player to start from scratch every every every time. Thus making game artificially longer.

As for save scumming. Its cheating. And if player wants to cheat he will find the way. They dont need to cripple their game and make it unplayable for portion of players, just in order to prevent save scumming. Thats ridiculous.

• Hallowsend says:

If you finish a level you get the choice to save and quit or continue. If you save and quit, next time you load up you can continue. So that’s one way to make it more bite-sized.
            For those who don’t want to get involved in perma-death (in the steam version), how about turning off Steam cloud saving, playing to the end of a level, saving and exiting, then copying the save file in the userdata folder elsewhere, then booting up to play further – if you die, just exit and copy those files back. Anyone have any success with that method?

• Grey Poupon says:

But this isn’t a roguelike at all, it’s a top-down shooter. For almost all roguelikes it’s mandatory to be able to save the game upon exit, but for a game such as this where it takes around an hour to run through the levels I don’t see it as such a big deal.

As for the DLC, I’m all for expansions that extend the game past the end of it, but DLC’s that enhance the original game feel like purchasable patches.

It’s a great game though, would recommend it to anyone who’s into intense action with a relatively high difficulty level.

• Lobotomist says:

And what exactly makes top down shooter exception to that rule ?

• Grey Poupon says:

I wouldn’t say it as a genre would be an exception. I only said roguelikes are a type of game that usually take a lot of time to play though. I only brought up the genres because he did. Teleglitch as a game isn’t very time intensive and as such I don’t see not being able to save a big deal. If you don’t have time to play through one level or die trying, then you probably have less than 10 minutes to play.

• Cybert says:

Roguelikes are supposed to be like Rogue, Teleglitch barely has a single similarity to Rogue, amazing game though.

lhzr says:

there is a save option in the menu. the first teleglitch version that came out a year ago or so didn’t have it, but it’s been there before the die more edition.

• Lobotomist says:

There is option to start at level 3 if you passed lvl 5.
        Same as it was in original game. Thats not considered save

• MOKKA says:

You get the opportunity to save your game after every level. You can’t however have mutiple saves and neither can you save during a level

• Shadowcat says:

You can save & quit the current game at the end of every level. When you next load the game you can continue from that save point. So while you do need enough time to finish the level, you are absolutely free to stop between levels, and continue the game the next time.

• mouton says:

@lobotomist
      “unless they wanted to artificially prolong game time”

As opposed to game design occurring naturally and not at all being a wholly arbitrary construct, no

4. Clockwork Peanut says:

Brilliant game. By the way it’s worth noting that really the DLC is only relevant if you’ve already completed the game – its main effect is to make the game harder. And yeah, Teleglitch is extremely difficult as is…

5. wcq says:

I actually got to level 10 the other day. Then I ran out of bullets.

It was actually kind of funny, in a hopeless sort of way, watching the army of mutants, robots and squid monsters I was running from tear my helpless guy to shreds after hitting a dead end.

• Chaosed0 says:

Yup, this happened to me too, except I had four teleporters in my pack, so I had five chances to run through and find something.

Needless to say, I died every time.

6. MuscleHorse says:

Does anyone have any idea whether they’re planning to release the random starting equipment DLC to non-prepurchasers anytime soon?

Edit: Oh, hurf, this is in this DLC. Ignore me!

7. unwashed says:

I’m deeply in love with this game and I’ll buy any additional content they release for it, even if it were a five dollar armor reskin. I’ve been uploading a whole bunch of playthroughs for a while now and don’t plan to stop any time soon. Check it out if you’re interested in that sort of thing–I finished the game and everything, go me!

It’s a very abusive relationship but I just keep coming back, what can I say.

8. Casimir's Blake says:

I adored the “original” version of this. I just can’t recommend it any more, despite having otherwise brilliant design and compelling game play. The re-release made it so hard, weapon handouts so limited, and enemy mob groups so common by level 4/5 that it just became an exercise in frustration. Add the save game limitations and my interest in the game disappeared.

Sunjumper says:

I couldn’t agree more.

I loved the old version of this game to bits, while I find the new one frustrating.
      Not that the new Teleglitch is a bad game, it is just different and not the one I loved.

The old version felt more like a survival horror exploration and adventure like game while the new one is more like a super hard action ‘puzzle’.
      I used to play this game every few days immersing myself in the atmosphere of it, while I only have played a few hours of the die more edition before getting bored with it.

I still hold out hope for a ‘classic’ option appearing one day or someone modding the old system back in.

• Shadowcat says:

So just reinstall the old version? That’s the one I’m playing.

Sunjumper says:

I am still playing the old version. But I miss having the option of saving after finishing a level and there are people out there who would like the previous version but not the new one, who now have no possibility of buying the old version.

DrScuttles says:

Yeah, given that I bought the Die More Edition yesterday and I’m rubbish at it, I wouldn’t mind a few more options to swap between versions/difficulties/whatever as I have no access to the old version. But it was so cheap that I can’t really complain.

9. The Random One says:

I agree the write-up is misleading, because I assumed it would add music-based guns to the game. Dubstep guns! DUBSTEP GUNS EVERYWHERE WUB WUB WUB WAAAAAAH

10. Doomsayer says:

Another error in the article: You either start the game with the pistol like non-DLC, or you’re randomly given another starting weapon. You can’t choose which weapon you start with, which basically means starting a new game a few times to get the one you want. There aren’t to my knowledge any new guns in the game itself from the DLC.

• jmtd says:

There are, or at least used to be, new weapons: special unique versions of some of the normal weapons. Only if you turn “random starting equipment” on in options.

Pre orderers got all this originally. In fact at release date the precise random equipment was different: one of them was a taser like device (which you can craft) which replaced the knife. It was my favourite and got patched out for super legs (with no gun at all). Disappointed.