The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Could Be Amazing

By Jim Rossignol on October 14th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Or it could be rubbish. But on the evidence of the gameplay-free trailer (below) and the reveal at NYCC, I am hoping it’ll prove to be an above-average comic/movie license. Details on Polygon suggest improved combat and web-slinging (well they would say that), as well as an expanded and explorable Manhattan backdrop, and “light-RPG elements”.

Nothing heavy, darling.

Until it’s actually a game of the cartoon series featuring Iceman and FireStar, however, I won’t be satisfied.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Orazio Zorzotto says:

Anything that’s an improvement upon the first game will satisfy me to be honest. Look, I have low standards. Stop laughing.
    Though that trailer does not inspire confidence. Looks like a 360 launch title.

2. aeromorte says:

We’ll see when it’s out but right now graphic wise it doesn’t look amazing. Hope it will be better than the last one.

3. melnificent says:

An improvement on the first game would be not intentionally gimping AMD/ATI GPUs.

4. Gap Gen says:

Best header image.

5. ran93r says:

I enjoyed the last ASM from Beenox, although I’m hardly objective as I also quite liked Shattered Dimensions as well.

6. Philomelle says:

All they have to do in order to improve the web-swinging is bring back the amazing web system from PS2′s Spider-Man 2, designed by the guy currently building Energy Hook. I wonder how long it will take Activision to realize they already have the perfect web mechanics and are refusing to touch them for no reason at all.

• Stardreamer says:

Another outing in the Spidey 2/Web of Shadows mould would make me a very happy bunny indeed. Up the graphics a little (to over 9000), get one of the cartoon VA’s to do the vocals (my money’s on Dan Gilvezan, the one true Spider-Man) and stay as true to the comics as possible (Venom isn’t purple!).

Guest stars? Firestar, Cloak and Dagger. Power Pack. Daredevil. Anyone other than the limelight-stealing Avengers or X-Men (apart form Iceman, obv!). Oh, but no more Moon Knight, please. I mean, jesus.

Include tonnes of alternative Spider costumes for all versions of Spidey, just for the lulz.

Dream game, right here.

7. guvuhmann says:

there’s a thing in this game that they’re calling the ‘Hero or Menace” system, and it’s being described as rewarding you for fighting random crimes around the city, keeping the city’s crime level down and punishing you for letting crime fester.

that’s one of the things that I loved about Spider-Man 2. Besides the web swinging which like Philomelle says, just should’ve become the standard for all open city Spider-Man games forever, Spider-Man 2 was also great becuz it had ongoing random crimes that added to the Spider-Man experience.
    Because a lot of people think that Spider-Man 2 is too repetitious on this level. But I think it makes for a better Spider-Man game when it seems like that. You’ll be swinging across the city and for the 1000th time you hear one of the citizens scream for help. and in any other game, you would be annoiyed and skip it becuz you’ve done it a 1000 times. but in Spider-Man 2, you are Spider-Man and you have no choice if you’re playing the game right, but to stop and do that random crime encounter for the 1000th time. if you choose to skip it, it wil weigh heavy upon your soul and you will think less of yourself.

and that’s one of the things that I enjoyed most about Spider-Man 2. was this feeling of how this must be what it’s really like to be Spider-Man. even the kid who lost it’s balloon, after I played the game for a while, it became impossible to even ignore this child’s pleas for help.

• Philomelle says:

I remember the random crime occurrences in Spider-Man 2. A lot of people called them repetitive, but I found them amazing because they actually replicated what it’s like to be Spider-Man. The whole point the comics drill into your head is that being Spidey isn’t just glamorously fighting villains. 80% of the time, it’s catching balloons, catching muggers and pulling cats out of trees. It’s why Spidey is a super-hero and not just a peacekeeper. He’s not here to fight crime, but to make New York a better place.

Ultimate Spider-Man, which followed right after SM2, was an incredibly hollow experience because it removed the whole “active crime” system. 90% of the time, you had nothing to do except web races and doing the story mode.

• guvuhmann says:

yes, totally. I think it’s a strange example of the game designers probably not even realizing how much this added to the game. I wonder about that. To them, maybe it was just a way to show that Spider-Man fights crime, but to all the people who played the game and really understood the character, it started to transform into something more.
        there’s people out here who still own a ps2 for the purpose of playing this game every now and again, I’m one of them, and it’s definitely becuz of this random crime element. and also the perfect web swing mechanics.
        a lot of things were better about Ultimate Spider-Man as a game crafted to play from beginning to end, but they never got those two things right there, or in any sequel either.

8. InternetBatman says:

It looks like they’re trying to do a serious Arkham City style game. I don’t think that’s a great fit for Spiderman. I would love another Ultimate Spiderman game.

• jonahcutter says:

Arkham Asylum/City, for all it’s grit and darker trappings, still have a high camp factor. The two games are somewhere between Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan.

I think that’s a great spot for them to aim for with a new Spiderman. An upping of the stakes and feeling of menace might be welcome. He can still crack wise at times. But restraining the goofy one-liners will help filter out the bad ones. Quality over quantity. Listening to video game Spidey mouth off throughout every fistfight gets tedious.

9. SillyWizard says:

So…at the end when he’s hanging upside-down far above the city’s skyline…what precisely is his webbing attached to up there…?

Comment on this story