Humble Bundle With Android 7 Includes Bard’s Tale, Anodyne

By Nathan Grayson on October 16th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

There are so many Humble Bundles now! Why, back in my day, we had to wait 1417 years (uphill, in the snow, beset on all sides by lackluster deals and also wolverines) for fresh bowls of piping hot generosity, and we… well, I mean, we liked it, yeah, but honestly? We’re talking about great games on the cheap for good causes. So far, more has largely proven to be better. I mean, I haven’t really bought many of the Humble Weeklies, but I definitely appreciate that they exist. Really, my main issue is one of inevitability: the more games get bundled, the higher the likelihood is that I already own them. Case in point: most of Humble Bundle With Android 7.

The full lineup is composed of adorably grotesque puzzler Incredipede, surprisingly contemplative Zelda-alike Anodyne, turn-based hexa-strategy Greed Corp, railroad constructor Ticket To Ride, and if you beat the average, inXile rib/organ tickler The Bard’s Tale and Worms Reloaded.

Now, this one’s not quite as star-studded as usual, but all of these games are also on Android, so that’s a plus for those of you who break with sacred PC gaming tradition and play your games on – gasp - anything else. They’re also all functional on Linux and Mac as well, so that’s a decent many bases covered.

No, it’s not the incomparable combo of Brutal Legend, Mark of the Ninja, Bastion, Fez, and co, but this one’s still sprinkled with gems. Have you been meaning to snag any of these games? If so, you probably won’t find many better offers.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Alien426 says:

Should be called the Humble Groupees Bundle. :)
    Worms: Reloaded was in Be Mine 6, Greed Corp in the Steampunk Groupee, Anodyne in the Retro Groupee.

Did you always get the bonus games only if you beat the average (as claimed at “More games coming soon!”)?

• basilisk says:

No, that’s a fairly recent change. I think the first bundle to do this was HiB9 a month ago.

• airmikee99 says:

No, that’s been standard practice for Humble Bundle. They’ve almost always had a 2nd tier of games if you pay more than the average.

• taniquetil says:

It used to be that if you bought the bundle (at any price) before the bonus games (“more games coming soon”) were announced, you would get them. Now you have to beat the average at the time of your purchase to get the bonus games.

• airmikee99 says:

Huh, okay, I’ve always paid more than the average so I’ve always received the bonus games, I didn’t know about the change because it never affected me. :)

• Baines says:

It always seemed a rather silly policy.

It ballooned their “bundles sold” count, but that was from people buying $1 bundles in the first week expecting to get around 10 games for that dollar. (With some unknown percentage of those people turning around and selling or trading those games for profits.)

But it made the later game reveals kind of unimportant. If you bought in the first week, then you could get everything except the initial couple of BTA games for $1. If you didn’t want those first BTA games, then you were better off just paying $1 in that first week. There was absolutely no reason to wait for the reveals to buy, because if you waited, you had to beat the current average versus just paying $1 blind in the first week. For the price of one BTA, you could “gamble” on 4 to 6 blind purchases.

However, now that they’ve gone to a real BTA for unlocks, I do wonder how their actual purchases have changed. I saw plenty of complaints on forums when the change was made, but I wonder what effect it really has. Though it could be hard to judge, because the quality of their bundles has arguably dropped of late as well.

• Alien426 says:

Thanks for confirming that.

I’ve found out (by chance) what one of the bonuses will be: Ravensword: Shadowlands. The devs write about it in a Greenlight announcement.

• Jalan says:

I believe they were referring to the games unlocked later and not the BTA games available the minute the bundle launched. The old practice was that anyone who bought in early, even paying below the average, would’ve received the additional games (assuming there were any) added at a later date, but would otherwise still be required to pay over the average to get whichever games were sitting at the BTA price. It was changed so that now if you want any additions they make, you pay over the average no matter what.

• kalirion says:

Well yeah, but groupees bundles are almost never covered by video game press, so only the bundleholics like us are aware of them.

For one such as me who lacks android devices, I believe both the new http://groupees.com/doujin2 bundle (Hatoful Boyfriend, Higurashi When They Cry and Kamui!) and the current http://www.indiegala.com/ October bundle (Knights of Pen & Paper, Crusader Kings 2 and RefleX!) blow the HAB7 out of the water.

• uh20 says:

i still prefer the HiB’s because they get developers to release linux versions of everything, all of these games are worthwhile, especially to keep them on my tablet.

2. killias2 says:

I’m probably just going with the base bundle. Any particular reason to second guess? My read on Bard’s Tale is that, despite inXile’s recent turn, it’s pretty mediocre. I’d be in for the newest Worms game, but, AFAICT, this is actually two Worms games ago.

I guess both could be fun on Android. Anyone have thoughts there?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

What makes you say the Bard’s Tale remake is mediocre? All I ever read is praise. Haven’t played it yet because the device is not what I like to play games on, but it certainly seems interesting. (supposed to be silly)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Wait, is this Bard’s Tale in the bundle supposed to work in Windows? Didn’t realize it was ever ported.

• killias2 says:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-bards-tale – Obviously, Metacritic needs to be taken with a shaker of salt, but, yeah, the initial reviews were pretty mediocre. And, yeah, the game was actually a Windows release first. It was later ported to Android.

• DanMan says:

I’ve played it on the PS2 years ago. It starts out pretty good – as in funny – but about half way through the funny has dwindled and you’re left with an OK action-RPG. Still worth the pay-what-you-want price.

All i care for thus far is Incredipede.

• Serpok says:

The good, fun bits of Bard’s Tale are separated by 20-60 minute sections of boring hack and slash.

• airmikee99 says:

The description says all the games work on Windows.

• killias2 says:

I’m not sure if you’re responding to me or Sparkasaurusmex, but I already saw that all of these games were cross-platform (Windows and Android). I was just wondering if Bard’s Tale or Worms Reloaded were decent on Android.

• stiffkittin says:

I really like what the Bard’s Tale tries to be, which is a fox in the hen-house. A naughty bit of subversive satire, designed to poke some fun at the players as much as at the genre conventions it lampoons. I love the premise of a world-weary bard (my favourite D&D class) and the character has elements drawn from prestigious lineage, with more than a hint of Solo and Rincewind in there. At the end of the day though it’s just competently written, bawdy, self-referential humour that means well and manages to elicit the odd chuckle, while failing to disguise that it might’ve been better written by an English or French humourist; who tend to have more mastery of the sort of absurdity that targets their audience as much as anything else.

In other words a decent effort and definitely not the worst way to spend a few hours. But an experience which hinges heavily on your subjective opinion of the writing. The gameplay and presentation is powerfully mediocre (although fair/nondescript for a tablet game I guess) otherwise. A clicky, action rpg with progression and a “musical” twist to the spells; a mechanic they should have taken to a far more interesting place.

Basically: get this deal if you really want to have the Bard’s Tale on a tablet, as it’s definitely worth it there. Otherwise I’d say Anodyne and Incredipede have far more to recommend them, both for RPGs and innovation respectively for a mere dollar, than TBT which you could surely pick up for peanuts on PC some other time.

• Jalan says:

No one should truly be in for the newest Worms games – they aren’t really good and do a bit of a disservice to a franchise that was quite fun to play many moons ago.

• Panda Powered says:

If anyone has a Worms craving but don’t own one of the millions of Worms 2 versions already (unlikely) you could always try Hedgewars. It’s an open source Worms 2 clone. There are builds for FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, iOS and Android.

• Maxheadroom says:

I bought Bards Tale for android a while ago when it was on sale for a couple of quid.

Worth it if only for the fact that it came with the original Bards Tale trilogy (not sure if this one does too?)
      Didn’t like the remake at all though.

The buxom barmaid & fart jokes seemed aimed at an audience who would be much too young to remember the originals so I’m not sure who its aimed at.
      Or maybe I’m just getting old, but then I never did find Benny Hill funny either.

each to their own i guess

• SkittleDiddler says:

I never got a chance to see for myself whether or nor Bard’s Tale is a mediocre game, because the Steam version always managed to delete my saves upon exiting to Windows. The only mediocre experience I had was in trying to get an explanation out of inXile and a refund out of Valve.

The twenty or so minutes I got out of the game were pretty ho-hum, for what it’s worth.

• killias2 says:

Thanks everyone for the responses! Really helpful! Looks to me like I’ll be going cheap, though I guess unlockables could impact that….

3. Bull0 says:

Playing Greed Corp hotseat against a mate is one of my most enduring gaming experiences, great fun

4. Dezmiatu says:

And I just picked up The Bard’s Tale in a GOG 24 hour sale. Can’t complain since they did throw in the Witcher for free.

How does Worms Reloaded compare to Worms Armageddon?

• Gilead says:

It’s worse than the original Worms Armageddon in pretty much every way. I’ve still played about 30 hours of it, but coming from the older game (which is now also on Steam, although overpriced — glad I got that as part of a pre-order for worms: revolution) Reloaded is so much more ‘streamlined’ that I just feel like so much is missing. Also I don’t find the animation style as good, and the multiplayer on Reloaded is glitchier.

There are a couple of additions that probably make it worth trying out if you’re getting the bundle anyway (like placeable turrets!), but don’t expect it to be any kind of ‘definitive’ modern version of Worms.

5. Dozer says:

I got the new Nexus 7 last week – arguably a better gaming device than my PC. Glad to have some decent games to try out on it! Incidentally RPS please launch a spinoff site for Android gaming kthx

6. fish99 says:

I must have about 30 android games courtesy of the HIB, but to be honest I’ve only played one of them for more than a few minutes, and that was Plants vs Zombies. Not really convinced about tablet gaming, my Nexus 7 barely gets used.

7. The Random One says:

Anodyne is this year’s The Sea Will Claim Everything. Everyone play it, yo.

8. slowly_over says:

Anyone else getting the “package could not be parsed” error when trying to install the HB downloads on Android? (Do I maybe have the wrong version of Android?) I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S 4.2 MP3 player, which is basically an Android phone, except for the phone part.

Comment on this story