Magicka: Wizard Wars Is Available Via Early Access

By Jim Rossignol on October 16th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

UPDATE: I am having trouble connecting to games, seems it might be over-subscribed.

And I am going to jump right in, so expect some thoughts on it soon. I’ve been itching to get my hands on Magicka: Wizard Wars – Paradox’s pared down team combat version of Magicka – since I saw it in action at GDC earlier in the year, and I believe it could well be the arena-combat type game that suits my personal sensibilities as a giant dork. Paradox explain: “two teams of four wizards each will do their best to incinerate, refrigerate, and defenestrate one another in chaotic combat, utilizing the versatile, element-combining spell system of Magicka. With friendly fire in full effect, wizards will have to think on their toes and mind their aim as they contend with imps, enemy players, and each other.” A frankly rather weird new trailer creates fanfare for the appearance of the game, which you can see below.

The early access page is here and there’s a Steam page here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. BillyIII says:

>This item is currently unavailable in your region.

• Wraiths says:

Yeah, I’m getting the Item is not available in your region too… I’ve been looking forward to this since release. Is it only open to NA customers at the moment or something? I’m willing to throw my money at them right now if they’d let me. I’m from Australia, hopefully I can get in soon.

2. Svardskampe says:

Defenestrate? They are going to add buildings and windows in the game? Fuck battlefield 4, Magicka Wizard Wars is where its at in terms of ‘levelution’. :P

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Considering the last game, it’s entirely likely that the window in question is not supported by or connected to any visible walls and leads directly into the Fire, Acid, and Creme Pie Dimension.

3. ividyon says:

Why the Yogscast?.. Including the Yogscast in anything drops the player base’s average age by a good 5 years.

• Dowr says:

Yes, but it also raises that player base by, about, 5000%.

• FullMetalMonkey says:

I thought it was over 9000%?

But yes. Since Total Biscuits Alpha Strike video yesterday the servers and the length of games (due to the influx of new players learning the mechanics) has been taking a beating.

• LionsPhil says:

Is that the same goddamn thing that tainted that one Sanctum map with inane, annoying blather which you couldn’t turn off without muting the game entirely? You know, in a very co-op-multiplayer-focused game, where you may, for example, be wanting to use voice chat with actual people, rather than pod(cast) people.

Whatever cross-marketing they were after from that, the result was only Internet rage.

• Bull0 says:

I like ‘pod people’ for youtube video ‘celebs’. Better than ‘youtubers’, which feels more like one who uses youtube than one who makes videos of themselves playing games that are available in shops

4. vivlo says:

so… i signed up (for free eh) and..; have not an alpha key, so… is it to be expected at the same rate as early days’ dota 2 ?

• vivlo says:

Plus, it finally seems to make the error of opting towards a not free AND pay-to-win model. I’m… cautious.

• DatonKallandor says:

There’s no pay to win anywhere. You earn in-game currency to buy gear – all of which has the same amount of negative stats as it has positive stats.

5. InternetBatman says:

The older version of Magicka is also available as an early access game. Some day it may be finished.

• Baines says:

I’m pretty sure the original Magicka is never going to be finished.

One hint was when they admitted that Wizard Wars was going to be made on a new engine that worked, as opposed to the original Magicka’s engine.

It would be nice to finish Magicka. Sadly, the game no longer runs for me. It used to run, back before they loaded the game with DLC. Now it crawls ever so slowly through broken glass while trying to set my PC on fire. Can’t even use the main menu.

The Magicka devs never seemed to consider “performance” a concern. They brushed aside the entire concept of games being playable on laptops. Also rather famously said that given the choice between fixing the game and adding more stuff, they figured the obvious answer was to add more stuff. And said that a time when many people who had bought the game couldn’t actually run it.

• thristhart says:

This is, for the record, a different dev team than the original magicka.

• Zankmam says:

I agree, performance issues and a buggy engine – along with no initial focus on true PvP multplayer – stopped Magicka from becoming something amazing.

I mean, damn, if you play it now, it’s amazing – Great visual style, awesome humor and world, good singleplayer and great multplayer content and – of course – some of the best gameplay mechanics ever. When I heard about the game and the spell system, I imagined something beautiful… And it turned out EXACTLY how I imagined it.

But, alas, again, a bad engine and a buggy game along with no focus on competitive multplayer I think stopped Magicka from becoming an awesome hit. The game has basically died out now, which I find sad.

If only it had the multplayer component equivalent to Wizard Wars from the very get go…

Also, more stable engine or not, Wizard Wars just doesn’t feel as smooth to me as Magicka does – and, whatever way you look at it, in terms of sheer possibility and variety of gameplay mechanics, Wizard Wars will always be a watered-down version of the original Magicka.

6. Reapy says:

I’m REALLY liking this game so far. I had the pre-alpha but was only able to get in for one day to play due to timezones, but damn me it hooked me. Since alpha it has been a little crushed, but by late last night (probably less people playing) I was getting into games reasonably fast.

The game is FUNN. Just learning to use the spell system on the fly against other players is super awesome. I skipped out on magicka because I wasn’t looking for a co op experience, but I’m all over this one. The game could use a bit of tweaking in terms of the pacing, but really it is quite good as is.

And hey, that firestorm at the end of the trailer looks new.

• TaylanK says:

Been playing the pre-alpha too. It’s fun when you get to play. Unfortunately I have been spending more time waiting for a game to happen than actually playing.

7. norfolk says:

That trailer is seriously weird. It’s one part soulless elevator jazz, one part demonic chaos. Is it tongue in cheek?