Battlefield 4 Patch Will ‘Fix’ The Elevator Catapult

By Graham Smith on October 17th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Never use

I remember back in the early ’90s, when RPS came with two disks taped to the front and a sheet of stickers inside. Back then, when internet connections were slow, those disks were the best way to get the enormous patches that developers would release for games, and that made those updates a kind of curse. Why couldn’t developers just get it right the first time?

Patches are now a good thing, but today I remembered that old taste of frustration: Battlefield 4 is removing the elevator catapults.

In a post on the Battlefield 4 blog, DICE’s Vincent Vukovic outlines the changes they’re making based on player feedback. That includes some good news, in the form of a promise to fix the performance issues that currently make the game run like a dog coated in velcro. But also this:

The elevator catapult (All platforms)
Although an interesting concept, elevators were never designed to act as a catapult or teleporter. The bug where the elevator button would catapult you up into the air is fixed for the final game. But we did enjoy all the crazy videos you’ve posted. Thanks!

Videos like this one.

The blog post has a complete list of changes, and mostly they’re about tweaking the muzzle flash of this and the kill responsiveness of that, but the elevator cannons will be missed.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

Ahh this article brought back fond AMIGA Format memories.

2. SRTie4k says:

Anyone else often find that bugs and glitches in games are often more fun than the game itself?

I have fond memories of my friends and I trying to do stunts in the BF1942 mod Desert Combat.

• Baines says:

That, and the reminder that we’ve lost some of the wacky fun of older FPS.

Some of the most fun I had playing the general letdown that was Halo 4 were remakes of Quake maps. Things originally designed when it didn’t matter if you were fighting on basic blocks floating in space, as long as you were moving at high speed and coming in at enemies from any possible direction.

• roberthdylan says:

Definitely. What seem mere Glitches and Exploits, are often really the basic human desire to play how we want, when we want to. That gamers display a healthy supernatural ability / need to seek out, and immediately play with these ‘previously undocumented features’ is a testament to common inventive thinking outside the strict coordinates of any given System.

Personally I’m still waiting for a game positively bursting with such emergent, hyperreal fun – that actively encourages toying with janky and decidedly ‘not-real’ physics in unxpected, pleasantly surprising ways.

• dahauns says:

Apropos stunts: Stunts! (Or 4D Sports Driving, depending on which side of the pond you lived then)
      Now, that was a game that was basically defined by its glitches…oh, the fun we had.

3. Major Seventy Six says:

“Why couldn’t developers just get it right the first time?”

Because, to do so, they would have to delay the launch of most titles which seems to result is stocks taking a big hit.

4. PopeRatzo says:

That’s what Battlefield 4 looks like? The one that’s coming out in a couple of weeks?

Does it look a little cheap to anyone else?

• db1331 says:

Agreed. That shit looks like a beta or something, not a real game.

• airmikee99 says:

You’re right. I only watched the video because I enjoy glitch and bug videos, I’m not a Battlefield fan at all, I have BF3 because it came with the Origin Humble Bundle but only played it for about 60 seconds, but even that 60 seconds was enough to tell me that the graphics of BF4 are severely lacking so far. It’s way too blocky as it is right now.

• One Pigeon says:

It just looks like BF3 to me.

• Ztox says:

This person has the graphics settings very low by the looks of it. Definitely looked a lot better when I played it.
      As far as I was aware there weren’t any hardcore servers during beta so I didn’t play. I tried it though but couldn’t even begin to enjoy it because it was stuttering all over the show, even on lowest settings.

• glix says:

i had the graphics settings up fairly high (can’t remember exactly) and that’s about what it looked like. i’ve only just started playing bf3 and while it definitely looks better, bf4 doesn’t all the lens flare and dirty goggles catching the light effects, which is an improvement, i think.

• uh20 says:

the xbox360 version of the demo was complete crap, even crashed at times, so its still most definitely a game for powerful computer players.

plus im fairly certain they nerfed everything but the gameplay, since the beta was meant as a gameplay test.

• Nick says:

Its possible they just didn’t release the highest detail stuff for the beta.

Tbh, it looks fine to me either way, as long as its functional I’ll take BF2 graphics.

• Panda Powered says:

You have to factor in youtube’s horrible encoding. But yeah.

• Asdfreak says:

I don’t know on what settings he is playing, but this looks nothing like the let’s play i watched. The only thing severly lacking in the beta is performance and water quality, since only peopole with very high end Pc’s and special beta drivers for their graphics cards can play the game on the highest settings yet (hopefully that will change), just from what I heard on youtube and the rest of the internet.

• Deadly Sinner says:

There’s a layer of dust on everything after the building collapses. Clearly, they shouldn’t have chosen this map as the demo because everyone and their mother joins after it collapses and thinks everything is untextured or something.

Even on medium settings, BF4 looks a lot better than BF3.

5. aeromorte says:

But if we only tested 1 map … what kind of bugs will we find at the full release?

6. LionsPhil says:

I assumed from the title this was those damn kids disrespecting the time-honored art of the lift jump.

Watching the video, I’m baffled as to what an “elevator” even is here, but it looks like something that should be redesigned around as a core game concept. Everything is improved by suddenly airborne tanks!

• FluffyHyena says:

That would make an excellent game in itself: “Military Elevator: A Story of Airborne Armoured Vehicles & Explosions”. Maybe Tim Stone knows about it?

• Berzee says:

If only the tanks screamed like Chivalry low-gravity characters.

• Panda Powered says:

Watch the A-Team movie. “Fly” a tank by firing the main gun. Shoot down drones with the machinegun. Crash in a lake and drive out of it.

Edit: Or play the old GTA games.

• Baines says:

LionsPhil, one of the maps has a large office building with an elevator to an interior top floor. The building itself can also be destroyed. The bug is that the elevator remains functional even after the building is destroyed.

The video starts with the building already destroyed. The player I believe is looking for the elevator button on the ground.

My guess is that the elevator simply teleports anything inside to the appropriate location after a certain amount of time, as that would explain why people and vehicles suddenly teleport from the ground into the air instead of rising slowly through intervening space.

7. ordteapot says:

Needs more spinning, flailing, screaming, and 90s chart hits:

8. lowprices says:

He says they’ve fixed a bug, I say they’ve removed the most interesting looking feature of the game. Each to their own, I guess.

9. Panda Powered says:

The comments to that video. Only on youtube…

10. SuicideKing says:

What are those things in the sky? Floating blocks? I mean, when the tank goes up in the air, you can see some other stuff (not soldiers) in the air too.

EDIT: Around 2:20.

11. Malibu Stacey says:

Not quite as hilarious as the AI mortar bug in Arma 3 which should never be fixed due to it being awesome.

12. Niko says:

Because realism is so exciting.

Comment on this story