Greenlight Pit Barbarians Unleash 37 New Games

By John Walker on October 17th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The Greenlight additions are coming thick and fast now. Another 37 games have been released from the Humiliation Cage. 100 emerged in August, another 25 last month. It’s a lot of new games. This latest collection includes FOTONICA, Fran Bow, Neverending Nightmares, Rimworld and Real World Racing. And one-man miracle, Universum: War Front.

In fact, quite a few of the games on the list this time out are either older names that never saw Steam releases, or updates to older games. Along with Fotonica and Real World Racing are J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Tiny Barbarian DX, Wrack and, er, Fortress Forever? Crikey – that’s six years old.

Also in there is Portal Remake Mod, a fan-created total remake of Portal in Portal 2, with new stories and puzzles to boot. Along with a first-person mod for Valve’s Alien Swarm, called Alien Swarm FP. And somehow a collection of the absolutely dreadful Neighbours From Hell games also got through. Here’s the complete list:

• Aartform Curvy 3D 3.0
  • Universum: War Front
  • Violett
  • Wrack

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. philbot says:

Damn, lots of good titles in there, I need to get off my arse and play some more steam games. I get stuck in a rut playing a single game while so much awesome stuff passes by. Good to see Universum War Front got in too, hopefully it’s good.

• honkskillet says:

Most, if not nearly all, of these games are available to buy from directly from the Devs at their respective websites. For example you can buy Tiny Barbians using the humble widget on their website.
      The thought/phrase/state of mind of I’ll buy it when it hits Steam should be stamped into oblivion. That is unless you like DRM and giving a smaller cut to the developers.

• desolation0 says:

I don’t like DRM, but I find Steam’s version to be unintrusive enough that other factors come into my decision. It’s a one stop market for many games I’m interested in. Another convenience is having my collection in one easy place to retrieve the games I own, much less keeping a decent record of what I do own. That alone is worth enough to me to deal with the DRM hassle. Those features and others brought to their customers are what allow an indie developer to take a cut on their profits and still make a significant revenue most won’t ever reach through their own sites.

If DRM is a more significant problem to someone, they are free to ignore Steam for any titles that don’t require it. Likewise for developers who don’t want to lose a cut of their profits. If the negatives outweigh the positives, then it isn’t the platform you want. It’s just not a black and white decision over just two issues for most people.

DrScuttles says:

Portal 1 remade in Portal 2? The cynic in me sees this as somewhat superfluous, but hell yes will I play it. Especially with the 12 extra graphics of Portal 2’s version of Source.

• LionsPhil says:

Really? I can’t remember any extra graphics, or other enhancements, that it’d actually benefit from (c.f., say, Black Mesa Source). P2 obviously had new mechanics, but they’re integral to puzzle design. And, honestly, fan-made “stories and puzzles” is not a draw, because Workshop already exists for the latter and, frankly, the former are going to be crap when put up alongside a professional team, especially when that team is Valve.

DrScuttles says:

It’s more that I can imagine the hankering on a hungover Sunday afternoon to play Portal, and there’s an alternate version to try out. While the newer versions of Source don’t have the same difference that HL1 to Black Mesa had, there’s an appeal in the uniformity of style the mod will have with the sequel. At least most of the puzzles should be copy and pastes of Valve’s work anyway. And it’s free.
        Just like Black Mesa, it’s probably something I’ll play through once, think “hmm, okay that was that again” and never go back to over the original.

RedViv says:

Neighbours From Hell.
    Source mods.

No Drox Operative.

THE SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING
    WHAT MORE PROOF DO WE NEED?

Anthile says:

I don’t get it either. Why can’t they just release it? They already have two games on Steam.

• CobraLad says:

I was ready to punch my monitor. Its like they trolling or something.
      Althought maybe when expansion is out they going to get more attention.

Crimsoneer says:

Yeah, mystifying isn’t it? It looks like unless you get a massive surge in votes out of the blue, you just don’t get anywhere :(

• Zorn says:

RAGE!

• The Random One says:

It’s like that part in Max Barry’s Company in which a character discovers he hasn’t been promoted in fifteen years because the company is a massive sociological experiment and he has been singled out to see what happens to employees who are denied vertical movement for no obvious reason.

I’m not saying Valve are running evil psycho-socio-capitalist experiments, but I’m not not saying it.

4. ChrisDtk says:

Good, means my game greenlight rank shot up a little :3

• AngoraFish says:

If you mentioned the name of the game it might shoot up even more…

5. Metalhead9806 says:

Ikaruga

As a 2d scrolling shooter nut i am doing a mental happy dance right now for this game.

• iainl says:

Part of me agrees. Part of me wonders how much I really need to buy this on the PC when I already have the Dreamcast, Gamecube and 360 versions (I bet I do, though). Most of me wants to know why TREASURE of all people in the world have to go through Greenlight, rather than just say “Hey, Gabe. We’d like to release a game” and Newell doesn’t practically bite their hand off in his eagerness.

• Zorn says:

If you have never played it:
      Jets’n’Guns Gold with a glorious soundtrack from Machinae Supremacy.
      It has been my definitive 2d scrolling shooter after X-Out on the C-64.

6. Alien426 says:

I posted this in yesterday’s Humble Bundle story already, but this Greenlight announcement says that Ravensword: Shadowlands will be a in the Bundle. As a bonus game in Android 7, I presume.

7. Didero says:

I bought a Humble Weekly bundle a while ago because Neighbours From Hell was in it, and I remember playing that when I was younger.
    I don’t remember why I played it when I was younger. Young me didn’t have very good tastes, apparently.

8. Wauffles says:

Aces Wild is not on this list! This makes me ANGRY!

• Frosty840 says:

No Crimsonland, either. And yet Neighbours from Hell (shite) and Dragon’s Lair (novel at the time, but still shite) sailed through.

This nonsense sickens me.

9. Excelle says:

Tiny Barbarian DX! Finally! Now my quest is done.

Now seriously, all go and buy this fantastic game.

Crimsoneer says:

The problem with Greenlight is the same the same as with democracy. Eventually, the Daily Mail wins.
    We need Helios, really.

11. MeestaNob says:

Has the gaming media’s’ crusade actually helped? It seems like now a flood of garbage is being released on Steam now…

• SillyWizard says:

There was already a flood of garbage on Steam. But now we’re letting very specifically nuanced flavors of garbage in, as it should be. Before there was just nonsense mainstream garbage with some lucky garbagey sprinkles.

12. Awesumo says:

Portal remake mod?! What’s wrong with just booting up the original portal.
    Bad case of a remake too far.

13. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Elder Sign: Omens is the one that I’ve been wanting forever. Looking forward to it!

• mwoody says:

Have you played it on a mobile device? It’s not terrible, but it’s also not particularly interesting. It’s a really simplistic Lovecraft-themed game.

If you want a game like this, I’d STRONGLY urge you to get the Occult Chronicles instead. That game is also flawed, but it is considerable more complex and enjoyable.

Ninja Dodo says:

The “Humiliation Cage”? I’m really puzzled by this whole “Valve is making developers jump through hoops” narrative. When Valve finally does open up the Steam API people will need to do the same work they are doing now on Greenlight to get people to notice their game. So if there is any ‘humiliation’ taking place, which I don’t know that I agree with, it’s no different from the humiliation devs will be facing when their game hits the store and they have to do *boo! hiss* marketing to let people know it exists.

• Viroso says:

Yeah I understand criticism of greenlight sometimes but humiliation cage is a tad too much.

welverin says:

The criticism of Greenlight is a bit baffling when the very same people say things like this:
      “And somehow a collection of the absolutely dreadful Neighbours From Hell games also got through.”

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah, you can’t hate on Greenlight for being a bottleneck (ignoring that the old submission process was an even bigger bottleneck) and in the same breath complain about things you don’t like getting in. If they open it up, more will get in, good and bad.

And clearly, if it got enough votes, somebody liked it.

Wisq says:

“Elder Sign: Omens”

Uh oh, better warm up the Bethesda Legal Machine.

16. Danda says:

This list of approvals is the worst so far.

17. wodin says:

The Starship game looks very interesting…very interesting indeed.

18. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m glad these games are finally out in the wild where I don’t have to navigate the horribleness of Greenlight just to find out what they are about.

19. richtaur says:

In a row?!

20. frostwyrm says:

finally Underhell, now only release…

21. rusty5pork says:

Starship Corporation and Blood of the Werewolf look cool, and TowerClimb IS awesome, but otherwise this seems like a bunch of mods (which is okay,) mobile ports (which is not) and F2P/P2W games (which is VERY not.)

22. Zaranell says:

Glad to see Wrack finally get Greenlit. I’ve played the beta version, and it’s much better than it used to be. I’m hoping to see a decent amount of mods and maps with the Steam Workshop integration.

welverin says:

Ikaruga!

24. honkskillet says:

Back to the same old trickle from Valve. They are competing with Microsoft for tending the garden with the highest walls.

25. onyhow says:

Starship Corporation, Rimworld, Ikaruga, and Ravensword looks cool…but still no Fruitbat Factory titles dammit…