Science Invades The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing

By John Walker on October 17th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I was surprised by The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing. Yet another action RPG, but one that actually did something original – it worked in some tower defence elements. Now, I’m the first person to roll my eyes out of my head, over the desk, and out of the window on seeing the words “tower defence elements”, but impressively they made sense here, felt like a natural part of the game. It wasn’t brilliant, but it was a decent budget ARPG well worth picking up on an inclement day. Since then, three chunks of DLC have appeared, the latest adding a new class, the Arcane Mechanic.

This is the second new class added to the game, with a magic-wielding Thaumaturge arriving back in September. The mechanic has all the bits and bobs you’d expect from the class, where science is your main weapon of choice. There are mechanical creatures to create and deploy, as well as trap building. It also adds a bunch of new weapons, a complete new skill tree, and three new quests specifically for this class.

At £3, it seems really a bit expensive. Especially since the whole game costs £12 to start with. Even sillier, buying all three pieces of DLC at once costs £7.47, saving you a whopping… nothing at all. Er.

However, I bring this all up more to remind people, as the Autumn evenings turn cold, and the crisp fallen leaves rot into stinking, slippery mulch, that this game exists, and might fill a couple of dark, bleak evenings.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lagwolf says:

I really rather enjoyed the game when it first came out. It sort of slipped under the radar for many. It is quite good fun in a daft sort of way. This new DLC might make it worth while to have another look in.

• fooga44 says:

Indeed. I had no idea it was so well made. I literally had to force myself to play the game then once in I was pretty floored. The only weak point unfortunately is the loot isn’t very good and all the skills are variations on the same thing.

2. nrvsNRG says:

Am I right in saying this game will be a trilogy?
    I pre-ordered in beta and played a bit at release and thought that while it looked nice enough it was lacking in somthing that I cant quite put my finger on.
    I think I’ll wait till all 3 parts are released and play it in one go.

edit: i think what i felt the game was lacking was some OOOMPH in the characters attacks, so these new classes may be the answer….hmmmm which one try first?

3. RedViv says:

This is not science. This is SCIENCE!!! in its purest form.

4. Uglycat says:

Far too many uses of the word ‘discharges’ for my liking.

5. Jumwa says:

It seemed a competent game, but it never really grabbed me. That might have been because of the lack of a class options, as I always play mage/wizard/sorcerer-types. I’ll have to give the new class DLCs a go! Thaumaturge sounds up my alley.

6. SkittleDiddler says:

“Tower defense”. Those two words are enough to turn me off of any game, no matter how potentially cool it may be. Thanks for saving me a few bucks, John.

And using DLC to sell classes for a tiny game that only had one class to begin with? Questionable.

• andyhavens says:

It’s a very fun game for the price; lots to do. And the tower defense stuff insn’t a mini-game (which is what I feared). You get to buy, improve, and set a lot of traps to defend your lair. That’s it. If you don’t want to, you can do it all by hand… but the traps are a fun element.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Thanks for the clarification on the tower defense mechanics in the game. May be a good pick for a 75% off sale.

7. airmikee99 says:

This has been on my Steam wishlist for a while now, I’m not sure why I haven’t picked it up yet, because that video makes it look like it’s a really fun game.

8. JadedPrimate says:

It’s a nice game, but sadly the co-op mode was horribly broken and unplayable last I checked. If they fix that I will gladly buy all their DLC, but until then I am afraid I will have to pass.

9. GoateeGamer says:

Any chance they’ll eventually be satisfied with the state of this Torchlight clone and finish developing King Arthur 2?