Appreciate It, Mate: Trailer For Source Filmmaker Short

By Graham Smith on October 18th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

End of the line, for you!

The trailer for End of the Line, a Source Filmmaker short, was released in August and has 600,000 views on YouTube. Since we’ve never posted about it and around 500,000 of those viewers were me, I’m betting there’s plenty among you who haven’t seen it yet. This is your chance to correct that.

For the Seven Nation Army cover, for the pacey editing and Valve-quality animation, for everything about it, I love this thing. I spent a dozen hours with Source Filmmaker, and a misspent youth toying with machinima, and this makes me want to dive back in. It’s being made by a small team, with production led by James McVinnie, a BioWare cinematic designer and the creator of a couple of other excellent Source Filmmaker shorts, including Saxxy awards-nominee Practical Problems and a few older mod trailers.

Information is scarce about End of the Line, except that the full short will be eight minutes long and that it’ll be out by the end of the year. If it’s like his last release, the animation will be done using motion capture recorded via two Kinects. I’d like to interview McVinnie to learn more, but for now, I’m going to assume that he’s a wizard.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MrEvilGuy says:

Reminds me of Runaway Train (1985). Someone should remake that with source filmmaker.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

He say’s on the youtube page that he is using manual animation, no motion capture.

3. Rig says:

Hey, I’m the sound designer for this thing. It’s gonna be AWESOME. :D

• Svardskampe says:

This video made my spine chill. Not many things accomplish that, and the sound was mostly the reason.

• Cross says:

I love the remix to pieces! I hope you’ll do more stuff like this!

• felisc says:

Nice work man, good rythm ! – from a fellow soundesigner -

• phelix says:

Sound design is one of the most underestimated elements in films and games. Full stop, or period, if you’re a dirty colonial.

• Otto says:

Hey man, thanks for that. I’m (yet another) sound designer for animated film, and it’s great to hear people appreciate the sound side of things. Plus I’ve been a huge fan of James McVinnie long before his Black Mesa trailer and he’s partly what sparked my interest in animation and machinima.

• goliath067 says:

I’ve seen this trailer several times and each time I yearn for more trumpet. I just keep thinking that what if instead of just that one note a trumpet played the melody right when the song got to it’s high point. Anyway, really cool music/sound, what ever you come up with I’m sure it will be great.

4. Morte66 says:

I cannot help but notice the youtube video linked at the end of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKC6XmsLWVQ

Downright spooky.

5. Waltorious says:

If you’re going to start talking about covers of Seven Nation Army, then I must point you towards the excellent funk cover by Nostalgia 77:

6. Shadowcat says:

That was incomprehensible.

I guess I’ll probably watch the version with the other seven minutes when it’s done, yet I feel like I’m now slightly less enthused about it than I was a few minutes ago, when I’d never heard of it.

7. AngusPrune says:

Apropos of nothing in the article, can I just say all hail Graham Smith. Saving RPS from endless reprinting the press release, slapping a video in and calling it news reportage. Long may you continue to be unemployed!

8. Kollega says:

Now if only actual gameplay of TF2 was as aesthetically awesome as this short. Way back before the Mann-Conomy Disaster, I thought to myself that winter clothing should be default for winter maps, not something you just put on willy-nilly. And a train robbery mission would be cool too.

9. reetaangel5050 says:

I’m shocked that some one can profit $9048 in one month on the internet. did you look at this link Go to site and open Home for details >>>>>> http://x.co/2d5tA

Comment on this story