Chivalry Expansion Dated, Free Weekend On Steam

By Jim Rossignol on October 18th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

If you like your videogames to include beheadings, or just to have a sheen of medieval multiplayer blood-letting, then you could do far worse than a game of Chivalry, the Kickstarted-formerly-a-mod game from Torn Banner. Those handsome devils have had quite the hit on their hands, and seek to capitalise on it with an expansion called Deadliest Warrior. Sounds a bit like reality TV, yes, but actually it’s a sort of time-and-space spanning archaic warrior toolkit, with “five new warrior classes from different lands and times, unique weapons, combat techniques, game modes, customization options, and themed battlegrounds”. Sounds hairy, and it will come out swinging on November 14th, with a closed beta for pre-orderers happening from today.

More provocatively, perhaps, there’s a free weekend for the original on Steam right now.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

amateurviking says:

I thought this was in fact a direct tie in with reality TV of questionable taste (The IRA vs the Taliban thing) whose name is either Deadliest Warrior or something very similar?

2. memememe says:

if they had working servers here id probably buy this. but already wasted my money on Chivalry and never played.

• Leb says:

never had a problem finding low ping servers here

• Natdaprat says:

I don’t know where you are from, but I’ve seen servers in Australasia and Japan. As far as I know there shouldn’t be much difficulty in finding a server. It’s quite a popular game.

• memememe says:

i’m from brasil, there are some servers here but they dont work. and its not just with me, a lot of people complain about it.

Chaz says:

“EPIC NEW MAPS”

I think you should let us be the judge of their worthiness to the claim of being “EPIC”.

4. chiablo says:

This looks like a really cheap tie-in. The trailer looks terrible, the models look terrible, and it seems like it’s been slapped together at the last minute.

5. Keyrock says:

“Deadliest Warrior” was a show on the idiot tube here in Murica (is it still on?) that pitted historical warriors or warrior types against each other. They would compare their weapons and armor using “scientific methods” then run some supposedly super advanced simulation to determine a winner. It was complete bollocks and even less entertaining than it sounds.

• derbefrier says:

doesn’t mean this wont be fun. but yeah that show was kinda dumb but still oddly entertaining as long as you don’t think about it too hard.

• Shieldmaiden says:

It wasn’t just bad, it was frequently just wrong about so many things. Not just in a historical accuracy way, but in terms of basic logic. My favourite was the Spartan versus ninja episode. For starters it seemed to be based on a straight fight between the two, which makes pretty much no sense from the ninja perspective. What really made me laugh was the insistence that the ninja had no way of getting around the Spartan’s shield. I’ve done some steel combat training with a Viking group and just a week before seeing that episode, I’d been shown all the ways you can use an axe to hook a shield out of the way. I’m watching them talking about how the ninja was completely stuffed, despite the fact that they’d picked a kama as one of his weapons, which is a rather hook-like weapon and quite easily capable of pulling a shield to one side.

6. junglist 69 says:

Chivalry is a great game , the community however has been deemed as one of the worst online.
    Still for a quick fix to watch someones head explode with your crossbow………………

• derbefrier says:

we need to find who decides these things becasue this person is incredibly inconsistent last I heard it was LoL, or was that DOTA2, or was it every MMO ever?

• sabasNL says:

I’ve only had very positive experiences with the community actually!
      On the servers I’ve been on, people genuinely appologize (even pause fighting to do so) when they hit you by accident. The chatting is, aside from taunting, often used as a friendly chat between players. I’ve seen some guys just wanting to dance and taunt, for the heck of it. And people even balanced the teams when they were asked to do so.

Atleast, that’s what I experienced.

• Leb says:

This is news to me.. I’ve made many a friend in random FFA servers in chivalry. Generally some genuinely funny people who are a pleasure to play with. Have never come across anything that would be reminiscent of a bad community

• Ogun says:

You have to go onto the official EU/UK servers if you want to hear some typical Chivalry whining and experience the stutter and lag that players often unfairly blame on the game itself (which is only a UDK mod afaik, but the best one I’ve ever played). Complaining, over-reacting and trolling on the official servers can occasionally derail a game entirely.

That said, it’s a great game for less than a fiver right now – and there are plenty of public servers.

strangeloup says:

I can’t remember if I got this on the cheap, or… er… War of the Roses? The other first person chop ‘em up. I think it was this. It wasn’t very good, and this expansion doesn’t seem like it’ll be a tremendous improvement.

That being said, the Deadliest Warrior fighting games on consolebox regularly reached the point of so-bad-its-good, so maybe there’s the same potential here.

• airmikee99 says:

War of the Roses: Kingmaker was recently a part of the Humble Bundle Paradox pack, if that may be where you picked it up on the cheap. :)

Nogo says:

I’d go so far to say that Deadliest Warrior on console is a brilliant game, inasmuch that no one else has tried making a game like Bushido Blade since uh.. Bushido Blade.

drewski says:

That screenshot looks like a pretty hot part of the world to be wearing armour.

9. sabasNL says:

I think in real-life, when in equal numbers, ninjas would always win. They’re the experts.
    In an army, the Spartans will always win. They showed clearly that, while outmanned and outgunned (outsworded?), tactics and morale are the most important things on the battlefield.
    Although I think in small numbers, the pirates will always win. Not because they’re good at fighting, but simply because of the technology. Their swords/sabers were the product of hundreds of years of weapon technology, and they carried pistols (inaccurate and slow to reload, but they did the job if handed well) and sometimes grenades…

10. Doberman96 says:

I have been playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for a few months . Here is my take on it:

– Originally I had doubts to how enjoyable it could be to fight with melee weapons as opposed to guns and rockets. Boy was I wrong! It turned out to be one of my most enjoyable games that I have ever played;
    – The atmosphere that they have created in the game is amazing! It is exactly the way I would imagine a real medieval battle to be. If you want to experience violence and mayhem this game is for you;
    – It is surprisingly easy to learn to play and takes a lot of skill to master. People experienced in playing 1st or 3rd person shooters can jump straight in and play (you have the option to play in anyone of these views)
    – You can choose from an awesome variety of weapons and classes to suit your style of playing.