ReleaseFace: WARFACE Is Now Live

By Craig Pearson on October 21st, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Alas, poor WarFace.
The saga of WARFACE, the free-to-play shooter from Crytek that RPS has treated with all the respect we could muster, is finally coming to some sort of conclusion. It is out. It is live. Everyone in North America, Europe and Turkey can sign into their social netwrok thing GFACE (really) and play on the game’s co-op or multiplayer maps for nothing. I’m impressed that they managed to sneak it out before Battlefield 4 and the next Call of Duty, and I don’t think the timing is coincidental. The mighty thunder of those games won’t be stolen, but a free and decent alternative to those is a nice October bonus.

It’s fun, it’s free, there’s loads of guns, classes, game modes, daily challenges, and it has a stupid name that has never, ever felt right. All we need now is a launch trailer that treats this overly-manly nonsense as it if were the greatest story ever told. Oh, what do we have here? Chess? SeriousNarrationFace? You bet.

That is everything I expected from the trailer for a game called WarFace. It is perfect, and I’m choosing to believe there’s a huge wink aimed right at us. They know, yeah? They have to know?

Thanks, PCGamesNFace.

, , .

1. db1331 says:

This name is so ridiculous. We should start a meme for it.

2. airmikee99 says:

Cut scenes are great, but it makes me hesitant when a game trailer shows zero actual game footage.

• DevilSShadoW says:

spent 5 minus with the tutorial and half an hour trying to uninstall it. It’s a browser game and a very bad looking one at that. Texturing is horrid and there are no graphical settings to speak of. It’s a far cry from crisis or far cry for that matter… the first far cry. Monetization is your standard gun renting fare. I’d say don’t waste your time.

• voidburn says:

Graphics aside I would be ok with it if it were fun, but I kept having terrible mouse issues. The camera kept randomly pointing upwards, and it was only after a search on their forums that I found many people having similar if not worse issues.

The game is terribly boring and adds absolutely nothing to the genre.

• airmikee99 says:

That’s a shame, I really enjoyed the Crysis games, I was hoping this would follow in the same footsteps, not necessarily beating the full fledged games, but….. at least not being a turd.

• airmikee99 says:

Oh geez us pies. Any time anyone tells me it’s ‘browser based’ I run the other direction.

Oh? Browser based? you mean created so shittily and running on Adobe Flash that it can cause my GPU to surpass the temperature necessary to boil water?

Maybe they got that problem fixed, I dunno, it’s been quite a few years since I decided to see how quickly my GPU could reach 105 degrees Celsius.

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

Becasue then people would find out that the game is nothing like the trailer even before downloading the client…

• airmikee99 says:

Used car salesman could learn a thing or two about this tactic.

Eleven says:

That picture has to be knowing self-parody, they couldn’t lampoon angsty warfighting any more perfectly :D

4. Baka says:

Anyone played this in the beta? I’m genuinely interested in the co-op.

• derbefrier says:

I have heard its actually kinda fun. This is just what I have heard around the Internets though so don’t take it as gospel.

• WarOnGamesIndustry says:

Yea I played it. If I had to give the game a nickname based on my experience it would be mediocreface.

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

The PvE could be fun but only if it wouldn’t be incredibly “grindy” (aka playing the same mission over and over again). There are three per day. One is a rookie mission, one is a normal mission everyone can tackle and one that is for high tier players (don’t even bother with starter equipment). So most of the time you will find yourself playing the normal mision over and over and over again.
      The missions change every day, but mostly they only rotate slightly. It’s not like you will be playing something completely else the next day. If you want a good PvE shooter buy Borderlands or something. But don’t even bother with Warface. It’s a nice for an hour but it starts to get boring and repetitive very, very fast.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

I thought everything Crytek ever did had to have “Cry” in it, so why not “Warcry”? Oh, wait, not as easy to copyright. Sorry. “I know, let’s use FACE instead.” Hmm.

Gap Gen says:

So wait this is a chess sim now.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah they’re just using metaphor and saying it is so hardcore of a chess sim that it almost seems like futuristic soldiers fighting over a briefcase. Might be interesting, I wonder how many game boards it will feature, because if it’s just one wooden board count me out. Hopefully they will allow modding so we can put in marble boards and even cardboard. I’d like to see some custom pieces, too.

• yabonn says:

Hope not, the chess is weird. King wouldn’t take queen like that. Whether king takes pawn before, or defeat.

LegendaryTeeth says:

How many articles would RPS have run on them if it had a different name? It otherwise sounds like it’s just a boring generoshooter.

Seems like that name probably worked for them.

8. spirit says:

CRYFACE.

• waltC says:

“Dogface” was the original title, but that was problematic in that it aroused the wrath of PETA. Next working title “The Face of War” was decided by the developers to contain too many words–so many words, in fact, that they despaired of the gaming audience actually getting through them to decipher their meaning. And so “Warface” was borned (or is that born?)

• The Random One says:

For a while their title was Warface: Face of War, but a considerable part of the target demographic would abruptly quit the focus session upon seeing a colon.

• Shieldmaiden says:

That is interesting. I always thought the colon was a big factor in the Call of Duty series’ success. They added the colon with Modern Warfare and popularity soared.

• sabasNL says:

Except for the fact that Call of Duty : World at War is almost always referred to as Call of Duty 5, unlike Modern Warfare 1 & 2.
            Oh my, I remember the days when Call of Duty was actually a quality franchise…

9. Luke says:

If I’ve learned one thing from terrible pop-culture recently, it’s that there are 50 shades between black and white.

Tsk. Get your facts right SeriousNarrationFace man.

10. Ny24 says:

It’s black against white, eh? Maybe this game is critical of society after all.

• sabasNL says:

Chess is so racist, why are there no orange, brown, yellow, pink and green-blueish pieces?

11. Freud says:

MONETIZEFACE

12. Text_Fish says:

Wow, what a clever analogy. It’s almost as if Chess were designed to be some sort of simulation of war as well!

13. Michael Fogg says:

Is that header image actual promo art for Warface? ‘Cause it’s pretty chilling.

14. DatonKallandor says:

Weird how there’s no mention on RPS of the ludicrously tit-heavy female player models. They’re using the excuse that they crowd sourced the female character models (but not the fully clothed males of course) as if that made them dodging their responsibility any better.

Especially ironic because they’re touting how authentic and realistic they are. Except for the non-armored, no-shirt, open cleavage women soldiers of course. They’re right out of Scarlet Blade.

• Utsunomiya says:

Really, they do? Because there are bipedal mechs with miniguns in their game, I’m not sure that counts as realistic.
      These may be realistic mechs though, so I don’t know.

darkChozo says:

Um, the female models are certainly not progressive by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re also very much on the soldier-with-tits side of the scale, not the forcibly-drafted-from-a-bikini-model-photoshoot side.

Still, a bit surprising that RPS didn’t touch on it.

• Bull0 says:

If they’re the same as those russian ones in the images that were doing the rounds recently… going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. If they’re not, great.

darkChozo says:

Are we talking about these pictures? Like I said, they’re, um, silly at best, but they’re more Sniper Wolf than Evony.

EDIT: Bah, totally missed the opportunity for a Quiet quip. Oh well.

• Bull0 says:

Come on, the sniper with her tits out? Yes, that’s similar to Sniper Wolf from Metal Gear Solid. That’s the game where if you chase Meryl into the bathroom really fast you get to catch her with her trousers off.

darkChozo says:

Yup, the very same. Kojima is not exactly known for his feminist worldview.

I’m not defending this per se, but the OP was making it sound like they were running around in a thong and pasties, when it’s more like a soldiery-looking outfit with varying amounts of cleavage and midriff. They look silly and out-of-place next to the male models, and people are completely right to complain, but comparing it to something like Scarlet Blade is patently ridiculous; the Warface women might as well be dressed as nuns by comparison.

• Bull0 says:

He said they’re non-armoured and tit-heavy, with open shirts and bare chests.

That’s basically a bang-on description of the female sniper model. It’s ridiculous, and it’s not “female soldier with boobs” – that’s one of these http://media.desura.com/cache/images/groups/1/6/5425/thumb_940x3000/Italian_02.jpg

darkChozo says:

He said no-shirt, actually, which is objectively false (though it does look like a jacket over a camisole, so maybe there’s technically no shirt involved?). Below he says implies they’re biniki-top-clad, which again is false. And he makes a comparison to Crimson Blade, a game with women who are only by sheerest technicality wearing clothing.

I’m of the opinion that the issue is silly and that the women soldiers in the pseduo-realistic game should be women soldiers and not GI Joe rejects. But trying to paint the issue with that degree of over-exaggeration just muddles the conversation, and is part of why most Internet discussions over video game misogyny tends to be mind-numbingly infuriating.

• Bull0 says:

Open cleavage. We’re hair-splitting. I don’t really care what he said below, as I was responding to what he said above. You’re right, technically the thing he said below isn’t correct. If I concede the point about no shirt (although by your own admission it isn’t “factually incorrect”, it looks like she’s wearing a jacket over a bra) the rest of what he said, except for the comparison to “Scarlet Blade” (I only have a really dim idea of what that is, and that’s only from the adverts, so I don’t know how valid the comparison is) seems fair. I think defending this kind of lazy sexism because it isn’t as extreme as the more extreme stuff is pretty misguided. If anything this is worse, because it’s more insidious.

• His Divine Shadow says:

in a shootout though, wouldn’t that cleavage act as a distraction and possibly buy some precious time? of course, mgs version would do that more effectively, but since it has no other advantages normal military clothing provides, maybe the warface version is a better overall solution. i suppose an even better one would be a fake cleavage with some armour underneath (in fact, the warface one can even be interpreted as such, considering it’s just a downloadable skin and not a full-fledged model).
            heck, i might even be serious about it by now.

• Cytrom says:

Do you people go around the streets and openly criticise and point fingers at every woman who shows some skin, or doesn’t dress like a man?

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, because that’s the same! Good point!

• DatonKallandor says:

If that street was a Warzone and the woman was a professional soldier I sure would criticize if she ran around without armor and a bikini top.

• MarcP says:

Now all we need is for one misogynist pig to point out there isn’t as many women soldiers as men in real life, and the defenders of truth and justice to tell us realism doesn’t matter, it’s a video game silly.

• SuicideKing says:

It’s sort of ironical that i’ll probably be pointing to CODBOO and saying, look, that’s how you help integrate wider sections of gamers into your player base.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah i was surprised too, has RPS backed off on its stance? That’ll be a shame, really.

15. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I don’t like this edgy reboot of Hamlet.

16. elmo.dudd says:

The name isn’t silly, the misunderstanding of the name and the lampooning therein from misunderstanding the name is silly. Warface. The expression you display to intimidate your opponent and demonstrate your ferocity and power. A pretty common thing for soldiers to have.

• airmikee99 says:

A pretty common thing back when war was fought with hand-to-hand weapons face-to-face. Today I’d venture that most warriors do not even get a real good look at one another over the distance they’re shooting at each other.

Oh crap, you don’t really think people didn’t know what ‘warface’ meant before you made that comment, do you?
      Because that definition is a part of why the name is so silly.

• elmo.dudd says:

Urban combat is typically in close ranges, you can still see people, especially in building clearing where you are moving room to room. The combat veterans I know saw plenty of faces. Warfaces are part of their experience.

I’ve seen enough comments that suggest many people don’t know that, and I never presume knowledge from an internet comment.

That definition is why this fist-bumping to mock a game every time it shows up, even among the authors of the news posts, is silly. I’m sure there are real things to mock the game for, features, mechanics – the tone of the narration in this trailer is fine. But the name? If we can call a game Doom, we can certainly call another Warface.

skalpadda says:

Warface is a silly word. It sounds daft, it’s as simple as that.

• airmikee99 says:

The person that is busy displaying their ferocity and power through a stupid warface is the first one to get shot by the person that isn’t stupid enough to display their ferocity and power through a stupid warface.

Using the Iraq War as an example:
          From 2003-2011, 79% of the Iraqi deaths were civilian. So that’s an awful lot of display of ferocity and power to a bunch of non-combatants, doesn’t say anything good about our troops.

And only slightly more than half of those deaths were from small arms fire, the rest were killed by explosives and bombs, not much of a chance to display a warface.

I’ll have to ask the vets I know how much warfacing they did, since they haven’t mentioned any at all in the past. Maybe you’re right, maybe our troops are still running around trying to show how intimidating they can be with their face, personally, I’d find their armor and weapons much more intimidating than any stupid grimace they had on their face.

• derbefrier says:

I know you worked really hard on that ridiculous post going through the trouble to remind us all soldiers are baby killers and stuff but did it ever occur to you this is nothing more than a way to get soldiers pumped up before a fight to get the adrenaline pumping and shit and not actually doing it during combat? You know something like “Show me your warface you pussies!” “RAWWWRRRR!” then they go fight the enemy. seems a little more logical than that dumbass shit you posted.

• airmikee99 says:

RE: derbefrier

Aw, how sad it must be for you when you’ve got nothing but ad hominem. I pity you.

• SillyWizard says:

You should look up “ad hominem,” and then stop using the phrase incorrectly. And then stop using any other words in public, because you’ve demonstrated that you can’t be trusted with them.

Good day.

• airmikee99 says:

RE: Silly Wizard

“is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument”

“seems a little more logical than that dumbass shit you posted.”
            “I know you worked really hard on that ridiculous post”

Yeah, you’re right, those comments weren’t directed towards me, they were directed to the facts that I presented in my previous comment, right?

Thank you for disproving my use of ad hominem with your own ad hominem arguments. I feel schooled, really, I do.

You’re free to block me, so you don’t have to see any more words from me, just as I’ve done to you. :)

• SillyWizard says:

Exactly.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Sorry, maybe it sounds nice to somebody who grew up on American war films, but this etymology is false. “Warface” comes from the movie Full Metal Jacket and was ad-libbed by the actor playing the drill sergeant. It isn’t a military term.

• Shooop says:

It is when you look at what CryTec wants it to mean:

A bastardized mutant child of an FPS and Facebook.

• elmo.dudd says:

GFace does make me chuckle, but probably because it makes me think of GMan smirks from Garry’s Mod.

• sabasNL says:

GFreeman…
          GMan…
          GMod…
          GFace…
          G+… (Google+)

Coincidence? I think not.

• Jimbo says:

CHECKMATEFACE, HATERS!

17. danijami23 says:

and now gface won’t load for me. Great social network cry”tek” :)

18. Bull0 says:

Going to give it a whirl, far from optimistic.

*edit*Newsflash: It’s OK, not great. 2nd match crashed at the end. Probably going to cut my losses.

19. RPSRSVP says:

Now I face a large download. At 23% will check back in later. One thing I already don’t like is that I wasn’t prompted with a conventional download, just a slowly progressing browser bar.

20. SillyWizard says:

Oh my. That was even worse than I thought it could be. Apparently, the future of war(FACE!) is…robbing banks? For wall street types? Who personally wait in their limos around the corner from the gunfight?

Also, what kind of shitty game of chess ends in a king v king face-off, otherwise known as…

DRAWFACE

21. Iokanaan says:

war has never been black or white, but it’s always been black and white.

22. x3m157 says:

I might check this out. I enjoyed the Crysis 2 multiplayer, and if this is similar it could be pretty good.

• engion3 says:

Crysis 2 multiplayer was amazing. That grenade launcher gun only servers would entertain me for hours. I don’t know why.

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

Sadly, it’s not even close…

23. paddymaxson says:

Having just tried it – and being a big fan of the way Crysis feels to play – I have to say it’s balls. Extremely generic shooter with very bad pacing. Feels just like every other shooter made by people who don’t know how to make a shooting game =/

24. GeminiathXL says:

I’m surprised how no one that tried the game even mentions how in PVP, everyone and I mean EVERYONE just keeps making that “slide” move over and over and over. After 15 minutes of that, I couldn’t stop laughing my ass off. Even while I uninstalled the game I laughed and laughed….

25. nrrd says:

I would pay good money to play GWARFACE.

26. PopeRatzo says:

Free-to-face.

27. skyturnedred says:

I tried it and I must admit, this is the first time I got a headache from a small FOV. Not that big of a problem, since it didn’t seem like anything special.

28. Muzman says:

Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
    not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
    gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
    that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
    now, to mock your own grinning?

29. Aaarrrggghhh says:

“It’s fun”

No, it’s not. Have been dipping in and out since “Alpha” and it is is still bad Call of Duty clone. The PvE part could be fun, but it’s incredibly limited and feels boring and repetitive very, very fast. The PvP part is a joke. The map design is the wort I have seen in years. Next to higher ranks players getting more powerful weapons and equipment… don’t even bother.

30. Sparkasaurusmex says:

You know FACE is an anagram for FECA, which is so close to FECAL that it might as well be.

Also, WARFACE is an anagram for CAREFAW, as in, “Be carefaw with these free to pway games.”

31. NailBombed says:

Aw, farce.

32. Narq says:

Warfacepalm

33. tonyferrino says:

I was about to install this, but then it asked permission to access “all files and activity” on my PC. Er….no.

34. ruthj240 says:

My Uncle got black Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan just by parttime work from a laptop… ………. http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

• Tom Walker says:

Oh really, that’s very interesting and doesn’t seem at all like a scam. Let me just look a-WARFACE.

strangeloup says:

As much as the game is probably rubbish, I thought the trailer was a pretty well executed piece. Somehow despite being ridiculous, it was about five hundred times more subtle than the recently-posted CODBOO trailer.

It also managed to remind me of the excellent Source Filmmaker promo for CS:GO, which I really should get around to playing again.

JamesTheNumberless says:

See my lengthy reply to Spectre-7 here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/21/how-is-it-still-called-warface/

I extensively researched the term and can’t find any evidence of its use in the so called “real world” that predates Full Metal Jacket. Google ngram results all prove to be false positivies.

37. Daniel Klein says:

That’s the worst game of chess in the history of forever. Also it ends in a draw as there are only two kings left on the field. So the whole pawn fighting hard enough to turn into a Queen thing was kinda dumb; the enemy king was one move from capturing him anyway.

I mean, CHESSFACE.