Spacebiff: X-Rebirth Combat Trailer

By Craig Pearson on October 21st, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Bifffffffffffffff!
The thing that surprised me the most during my playthrough of a tiny section of X Rebirth was the combat. It was, admittedly, a combat focused demonstration with a nippy ship, but when I wasn’t breaking the game by dodging the story and hunting around the station for fun things to do, being dragged into the space battles wasn’t a drag at all. It was fun. X’s usually treacly controls were no more, and some of the combat tweaks means you have to think your way around some of the bigger battles. It was encouragingly spam free. As is the trailer below, which shows off some of the mighty spacebiff’s in Egosoft’s upcoming game.

What I really need to know now is if it can pull off this sort of stuff away from the main story and planned demonstrations. It looks spectacular, but I want it to be this spectacular when I’m thirty hours in, wending my own path through the galaxy, and ignoring the shonky writing and terrible voice acting. If the open-ended structure is set up to give you angry, city-sized fights because of reasons, then I might just cry. Take a look.

Oh my. November 15th is now marked on my Google Calendar.

, , .

1. 2late2die says:

Looks pretty darn great. It’ll work most excellently as a way to tide me over till Star Citizen comes out :D

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Could it be? Have my constant demands for capital ship biff finally been answered?

3. aldo_14 says:

There appears to be a Battlestar in there. I approve.

4. Keyrock says:

Pants shat.

5. XhomeB says:

“November 15th is now marked on my Google Calendar. ”

Craig, you sellout. :P

6. sharks.don't.sleep says:

Hnnnggg! I really consider pre-ordering.
    On the hardware side I hope my 460 GTX won’t let me down..

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

I might have to drop some cash on a nice big monitor for this. Anyone recommend a good one?

• Jigowatt says:

Depends on what you currently have I suppose. I just upgraded from a Dell 2407 (1920×1200) to a Viewsonic VP2770 (2560×1440), and couldn’t be happier! After a lot of research, it seemed to be the 27″ monitor least prone to quality control issues… and sure enough, mine is thankfully free from any significant backlight bleeding etc. However, this monitor is a little on the expensive side, and I mainly got it for Photoshop work (as its colour accuracy is excellent). I’m a little worried about how X Rebirth is going to perform at this new giant resolution though! Hopefully my GTX 580 will just about be able to handle it!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

That’s quite a step up. Yes I was thinking of something in that region resolution wise but 24 inch ish. I have a high end gaming lappy with a small 1080p widescreen and I want to treat its hdmi port to something bigger. Its got a GTX460M so I don’t know if it will struggle with the higher end 2k monitors

Kong says:

the collectors edition with my adress on it must go to print within the next 2 weeks I suppose. No, almost 3…grrr

9. Quine says:

ACCEPTABLE!

10. draigdrwg says:

Hope the combat is less of the sluggish WWI dogfighting from previous games and more like Freespace or another combat space sim.

• onyhow says:

I think it also has to do with AI doesn’t really know how to fight without moving at max speed…

11. kyrieee says:

Are planets still just backdrops?

• wz says:

Yes, and they’ll be backdrops even in Star Citizen.

Limit theory, Elite: Dangerous’ expansion, Rodina and Infinity are upcoming commercial games where you’ll actually be put in the universe proper (I may be forgetting several right now). There are only a few games out now where planets exist properly.

• KDR_11k says:

Evochron has planets you can fly to but when you do it you realize that they’re just big, boring rocks with more difficult flying.

• cpmartins says:

They are actual 3D objects, you’ll notice the perspective change when going through the highways and you can actually end up behind them on some sectors. But they are not interactive.

• GiantPotato says:

I-War 2 had fantastic planets and suns. They were backdrops when going normal speed and icebergs when you went into LDS without a waypoint set.

DuncanIdah0 says:

Indeed, I-War2 nailed the scale of space travel, IMHO.

I stil remember being pursued at LDS speeds and using the planets to get rid of the pursuers, by going around the planet in closed circles near the atmosphere until they crashed into it… Ah, good times

• AlFitz says:

The ideal space game for me would have I=War2′s approach to space simming in it with planetary flying and landing as well. I think the combat in it is still the best I’ve come across in the genre but the game didn’t quite allow you the freedom to function independently of the main storyline.

• GiantPotato says:

Right? And if you tapped the speed slider once too many times while turning, then you were either a smear on the planet’s surface or out in the middle of nowhere waiting for the enemy to arrive. That was the best use of scale I’ve seen in any space game to date.

12. wz says:

“can pull off this sort of stuff away from the main story and planned demonstrations”

What was shown was a squad of fighters near stations, some projectile blob streams, and some misc attacks on single ships..Pretty routine by X3 standards. The X3 universe sim code simulated empires going to war and sectors being taken over, so it’s not unreasonable to expect them to improve on it.

13. squareking says:

Hopefully my 5830 will be able to handle it!

: /

14. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Game looks amazing, but I’m confused and a bit disappointed to see RPS continue to cover games published by Deep Silver after you laced into them over Torsogate and they did absolutely nothing to change their act.

The reason they think they can get away with things like that, and then lying about it afterward, is that there are no repercussions. The gaming press will get mad at them, but still promote their products – so why should they care?

• MrUnimport says:

Something to do with babies and bathwater, I imagine.

• Boffin says:

You’d have to wonder where that logic was when they decided not to cover PAX, then.

• GiantPotato says:

Well, you can stop covering PAX without missing a game, but you can’t stop covering a publisher without missing a game. Unfortunately, sometimes your editorial policies don’t all line up, and you have to choose between them.

That’s my guess, anyway. Or maybe they just all forgot about it.

• airmikee99 says:

I’d imagine that’s what it is, because Deep Silver also published Saints Row IV and Metro Last Light which have gotten plenty of attention from RPS.

• onyhow says:

Because, I don’t know, this game is SELF-PUBLISHED by Egosoft on Steam???

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Hmm. On one hand, their website directly contradicts you – “Publisher Deep Silver and developer Egosoft announce the latest game set in the X Universe” ( http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/info_en.php) – but on the other hand, part of your comment was in very convincing all-caps. I don’t know what to believe.

• onyhow says:

Check the Steam page? Deep Silver only do physical publishing in Europe…TriSynergy does physical publishing in US…online? SELF-PUBLISHING!

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

So Deep Silver are the publishers, then? So your comment is weird and irrelevant, stately capitalization notwithstanding?

• Vinraith says:

I think if RPS actually stopped covering Deep Silver games due to something as absurd as Torsogate, I’d probably be done with the site. Silly tantrums about trashy games with trashy promotional materials are one thing, dropping a publisher because of same is another.

The PAX decision, for all that I find it questionable, is at least rooted in a much more substantial issue.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

I’m just surprised, given that RPS even made those follow-up posts about “The Silence,” asking why companies just ignore problems or, in Deep Silver’s case, outright lie. Well, it seems to me like this is one of the reasons: they know nothing will change and they’ll get coverage either way.

Anyway, I think you know damn well the issue is misogyny, not just one thing being “trashy.” If I were opposed to trash on principle I wouldn’t even be a gamer, would I?

15. mouton says:

Why do we focus on how “amazing” it looks? I have played X1 and X2 and after investigating reports of X3, I have concluded they only ever focus on graphics and seldom on actual mechanics of the sim/trade aspects.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the “moar shiney” adverts do not fill me with confidence.

16. realityflaw says:

It should probably be mentioned in the article that that ‘nippy ship’ is the only one you will ever be able to pilot.

• Stardreamer says:

I thought it referred to the ship he was fighting?

• UpsilonCrux says:

Wrong – you can pilot multiple ships.
      You physically occupy one ship.

• WrenBoy says:

That is wrong on both counts as far as I know. You can physically occupy a variety of ships but can only pilot one.

You can remotely pilot your drones though which is pretty similar.

• airmikee99 says:

No, he’s right. Your pilot can only sit in one ship at a time, but you can own multiple ships and swap between them. In Albion Prelude you could have extra ships flying with you at the time, remotely controlled, but your pilot was still only physically in control of one ship.

• WrenBoy says:

*Ahem* We are talking about Rebirth here.

“One of the big changes in X Rebirth when compared to the old X games is that you as a player will only be flying a single ship.”

” there is the possibility to remotely control a drone. This is basically exactly like switching personally into another ship. ”

“You can in fact even land on these beasts and get out of your playership to meet NPCs while watching the large ship move around in space FROM the deck of the ship!

You won’t be sitting in the cockpit and steer such a capital ship from the first person perspective anymore simply because that is boring. “

• airmikee99 says:

• WrenBoy says:

The combat was always pretty basic though. If this decision allows it to be improved its already worth it. There were numerous other reasons they changed it as well though. It seems well thought out to me to be honest.

In dog fighting you can experience faster combat via drones, you also have your own ship and you still get a sense of ownership of your fleet as you can board the larger vessels. You don’t lose as much as you think.

You do lose something though ill agree. Getting your hands on the fastest scout or the most powerful corvette in the game isn’t quite the same if you have to hand it over to one of your minions.

I’m looking forward to Rebirth more than any game in 2013 though. Shame its only on Steam.

• airmikee99 says:

You’ve got a point, maybe I’ll check it out eventually, but half the fun of X was seeing a slick ship flying by and then figuring out how to get it, kinda like GTA in space.

• DatonKallandor says:

“Wow, that’s a radical departure from previous X games, and enough to convince me to keep playing Albion Prelude until a proper sequel is released.”
            It’s actually a radical return to previous X games. The original game was a single-player-ship game, and just like back then it’ll start off fairly weak but have the capacity for upgrades that makes it far outclass anything else in all aspects (including speed).

Basically it’s one of those super-corvettes that were in the later games as easter eggs but even better.

• airmikee99 says:

Interesting, I only started playing the series within the last year and really only played Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict as the older games didn’t have the same splendid look the newer ones had, but that’s an interesting bit of history that it’s not a change, it’s a return to an old mechanic. :)

• DatonKallandor says:

Not only is it a return to the roots of the X games, it’s also a return to the setting-as-written-by-the-creator-in-the-novels. Rebirth looks to be closest to where the novels were – with very little powercreep for the average person (no jumpdrives. At all. Unless you’re Xenon) but incredibly high tech (and hard sci fi) Terrans (they’ve built an entire moon for giggles and surrounded the entire Sol system with a sphere or artificial black holes – because they can (and because they’re (rightfully) paranoid))).

17. rebb says:

X-Cited.

18. 12inchPlasticToy says:

After watching the trailer for a second time, I cannot see what is the “Drug Reference” they are warning about at the beginning of the video…

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

Perhaps one of the textures of one of the ships is inspired of a picture of the workplace of a bloke whose brother smoked weed once. I’m grasping at straws here, this is “Where’s Waldo” pandemonium all over again.

• airmikee99 says:

Not many references, but probably enough that some regulatory agency required a warning.

• nitehawk says:

The trailer has to warn about all of the references in the game, even if the trailer doesn’t show them.

19. nitehawk says:

Inception BWAAAAAA!

20. Kaeoschassis says:

Proper explosions and, if my eyes don’t deceive me, giant particle beams. I’m pretty much convinced the combat will finally be as great as the rest of the game. Shame I’m going to need a whole new rig to run it~

21. Nimdok says:

So I’m watching the trailer, and I don’t realize for a bit that there’s a music player running in the background playing some of the Blade Runner soundtrack until I go “Wow, this is a really obscure song to license for a space-sim.”

It fit really well until then.

22. racccoon says:

Egosoft eats CCP while they are still lying down contemplating whether to add another map for you to load.. AWESOME Stuff Egosoft. congrats on your hard yards & thanks for listening to the fans. Can’t wait. cheers.

23. SuicideKing says:

Deep Silver? The same publisher that has Volition but refuses to let them make FreeSpace 3? The world is twisted, i say.

Unless we have an X:FreeSpace in the works.

• aldo_14 says:

Interplay still own the Freespace license, though. Apparently they were asking for a LOT above its market value last time someone tried to get it. That said, I’m not even sure how many of the FS developers are even still at Volition, anyway.

• onyhow says:

Not again…Deep Silver only handle physical publishing in Europe! Egosoft self publish the game online!

Matchstick says:

Ah the fact the Deep Silver are publishing it explains the moronic Steam pricing and regional locking rubbish.

Like SR4, if someone with any respect for PC gamers were publishing the game I’d be ordering a copy but I don’t like being treated like crap so I guess I won’t be playing it.