What’s In Your Head: Sniper Elite – Nazi Zombie Army 2

By Adam Smith on October 21st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

As we approach the twilight of 2013, I can’t engage in my favourite hobby without hitting a zombie. I’m talking, of course, about swinging a dead cat. Before you call the authorities, take note that the cat isn’t properly dead and I certainly didn’t harm it in any way. The mewling monstrosity is mostly dead, meaning that in some ways it’s just another zombie on the corpse vine. The rotters are everywhere, from Austin to Shakespeare, and the tainted tide shows no signs of letting up. On Halloween, the dead are going back to Berlin in Rebellion’s Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2. I thought the original had the most appropriate title for a vidya game ever but popping a ’2′ on the end makes it absolutely perfect.

Snipers and zombies go together about as well as porridge and cyanide. They’re not smart enough to use cover and they don’t tend to be particularly adept at climbing, so a long and dull vigil in a clocktower with a high-powered rifle should be the perfect antidote to their shambling approach. It won’t be that simple though. Expect Mr Sniper to spend most of his time running through the horde as he attempts to put a stop to this next bout of occult dabbling.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2: Bacon Ninja
    Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2: Cupcake Puppy

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Eight – Nazi Zombie Terrorists 3: The Wreckoning

2. Premium User Badge Don Reba says:

I’m giving you permission to be In My Head.

3. dethtoll says:

I can’t believe they’re making a sequel. what

• John Mirra says:

Why not? The first one was quite good (no matter what John “I hate fun and play coop games alone” Walker says) and successful. And infinitely better than main series.

• mouton says:

If a game needs to be played in coop to be good despite not having strong coop mechanics, it usually means it is not very good. Because at this point the most value comes from the friends, not the game.

Haven’t played the game myself, though, so I wouldn’t know if it has L4D level of reliance or not.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Though some games are better for co-op than others. There are those that have very strong co-op mechanics, like L4D, but there are also those that are good for people to play mostly as an excuse to spend time together. Not all co-op games are as good for the ladder, I think. Part of it is that a game really does need to just give some mindless fun with enough interdependence that people feel like they are closer together, but not require huge mental commitment.

(I am also like you in not having played the game and thus not knowing what it is like)

• jonahcutter says:

“You’re not having -real- fun. You just think you are.”

• mouton says:

Obviously, fun is entirely subjective. But we can ascertain whether it comes from the game itself or from the fact that your friends are awesome when stoned.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah I’ve noticed this. A lot of the criticism of it seemed steeped in a healthy dose of elitism. Many noses have been peered down disapprovingly at this game.

If they’ve even played it, it’s typically for a few minutes and in the sp. It’s like the inane TB review of it: Plays on solo. Declares it an abomination in the first 30 seconds. Declares he hates anyone who dares disagree with him by liking it.

It’s a fun, simple-but-satisfying b-movie of a game. Cool, schlocky 80′s occult-horror vibe. Lots of sniping shamblers in the head. It’s the perfect kind of game to have a couple too many beers while joking with people on voice.

4. puppybeard says:

I tell you what, zombies aren’t the only ones starving to find brains in computer games these days. Anyone else feeling a bit allergic to zombies?

• Premium User Badge Don Reba says:

REC and The Last of Us are the only good zombie-themed things I have seen to date.

• Ernesto says:

I don’t feel allergic. Only insulted. And after another minute, indifferent.

• mouton says:

At this point being allergic to zombies in games would be like being allergic to guns in games or killing in games.

5. Alexander says:

Vidya Game Title 2: Shooting is Continued Once More.

6. Sheps says:

I couldn’t care less about this game. I’m just here to say, awesome cranberries title pun. ‘What’s in your heaaadd, in your heeeaadd. Zombie. Zombie. Zombeh eh eh!!’

7. Renevent says:

I never understood the big issue with the first game…it had an awesome 80′s horror vibe, nice shooting mechanics, and the x-ray cam and blowing away zombies was pretty good. It was cheap too so even better. Anyways if John didn’t like it that’s fine, everyone has their own opinions, though I do kinda feel like the game was trashed on some kind of principle rather than how the game played itself.

• Premium User Badge Craig Pearson says:

I played Sniper Elite 2 and really enjoyed it, but this was an abomination: they really did just take the mechanics and stick zombies it in. The atmosphere was silly and actually pretty well realized, but maps (just ripped from the main game) and action were balanced for sniping a few people at a time and they tossed loads and loads at you. I played it with a friend and we stopped fairly quickly.

• Renevent says:

I didn’t play any of the other Sniper Elite games so can’t comment on that, but I thought the maps and gameplay was very well done. There were parts that I thought were even better realized than overall superior games like L4D. For instance, the ‘defense’ parts of the game (like the church in the 1st level) offered better co-op gameplay and required real teamwork. I loved setting up the tripwires/landmines prior to the attack then having my friends sitting upstairs sniping and then staying downstairs and do cleanup.

The atmosphere is well realized, and personally think better done than L4D2.

That’s the things for me…I can’t comment on SE2 or anything, but the graphics/atmosphere was well done, sound/music great, and the shooting mechanics were also really cool. It was also cheap and offered some memorable moments (stuff like the church).

Playing it I never thought it would light the gaming world on fire or anything, but I am very surprised at the reception.

8. Drinking with Skeletons says:

in your hey-ead
    in your heeey-ead
    zah-mbie
    zah-mbie
    zaaahm-bie-bie-bieeeeee

Damn you, Smith, for making me think of that terrible song with its annoying, drawn-out pronunciations of otherwise simple words!

9. sabasNL says:

Sometimes I wonder why Call of Duty has no stand-alone Zombies game yet. I wouldn’t buy it, but I’m sure that many fanboys would then buy the annual CoD ├índ the Zombies game.

10. Hardlylikely says:

I don’t know about the perfect title, but for mine nothing has ever topped the simple beauty of Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.

11. stoner says:

Oh good, another f****** zombie game. I enjoy Sniper Elite V2 and its DLC. I have not played the zombie DLCs because…why? why would I?

Zombies addons are the “reality tv” of video gaming. Cheap to produce. Require little imagination to create. And a dull-witted audience hungry for more.

12. strangeloup says:

I know the general consensus among RPS writers is that the first one isn’t very good, but having picked it up for a couple of quid in a sale I’ve been having an astonishing amount of fun with it. The choice of enemies (the titular Nazi Zombies, naturally) combine two types of baddie that you typically feel no guilt whatsoever about shooting in the head, and the whole atmosphere and style of the game is so wonderfully campy and B-movie-esque that you really have to make an effort not to have at least a bit of fun. I mean, the intro alone has Hitler shooting one of his generals in the head and demanding that they “Deploy Plan Z!”

Compared to the main Sniper Elite V2, which was rather stuffy due to the TOP SECRET VERY SERIOUS SHOOTING PEOPLE IN THE HEAD MISSION theme, a sillier version with the same essential mechanics works very well in my view.

13. nrvsNRG says:

the first one was one of my fave co op games.
    NOT! just because i played with mates and “everything is fun with mates”.

14. Shooop says:

Were that many people really swindled into buying the first steaming pile of shit in binary format to allow them to make another?

The evidence that gamers are mentally challenged continues to pile up.

• nrvsNRG says:

Wow.
      There is so much wrong with you on a personal and mental level, that the only thing left for me to do is use the Block button so I never have to accidently read your insane drivel again.

15. Loyal_Viggo says: