Eldritch Out On Steam, It’s Good

By Jim Rossignol on October 22nd, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

Have I mentioned how much I like first-person roguelikelike, Eldritch? No? Well, here goes: I really like it. The random nature of it means that it’s, well, rather random, but it’s one of those games that sort of captures the raw essence of videogameness and puts it straight into your head with no excuses or fluff. Exploring, fighting, sneaking, collecting, being freaked out by weird things, skipping locations via magic books, getting bitten by worms, delving deep into unknown and unknowable videogame spaces. Ignore that stupid bit of your brain that says you should bypass this game because it looks like Minecraft, because it ain’t. And you’ll treasure it.

My feeling is that Eldritch isn’t spooky because of the Lovecraftian theme, it’s spooky because videogames just are spooky. Goddamned weird-ass alternate spaces for no reason! This is one. And it’s great, Anyway, there’s bound to be a bunch of Halloween type release out at this point in the year, and this is the one I’d buy for a friend. In fact, I am going to do that, right now.

On Steam, yes.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. LTK says:

That trailer was unexpectedly cheerful, especially after watching Tom Francis play the first level of the game.

2. frightlever says:

Speaking of Steam, I see Sir, You Are being Hunted is on sale at 50% off.

• derbefrier says:

orly i almost bought it the other day. I may have to finally take the plunge now. as for this game I am gonna have to buy it too. it looks really fun.

• bangalores says:

Bought it ages ago…still waiting patiently for full release before i play it. I must say though, I am horribly tempted every time they update the game because they always seem to add at least one awesome feature per patch.

• cunningmunki says:

You should play it now, complete it, and then wait for a couple of patches (or the full release), then play it again. You’ll get a completely different experience due to both the updates and the progressively generated nature of the game so you’e getting more for your money!
        I played it early on, completed it, and then played through again after a few more releases, and it was like playing a sequel. I’m currently waiting for a couple more changes (if I can stand waiting that long!) and then diving in again. It practically plays like a finished game, anyway.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

I very nearly picked up Eldritch yesterday, had it in my cart for a few hours even, but ultimately decided to wait. Saw Sir on sale this morning, picked it up straight away. Now I’m even less likely to buy Eldritch, at least this week. I wonder, did I make the right choice? Hey Jim, you reading this? Did I choose wisely?

• bstard says:

*ploink!* new email, a game on your wishlist is on sale.

Oh smegging nice, Sir Hunted is there, so it’s done? Let buy… not! FFS early access and sale, go away.

3. ZIGS says:

I heard it’s really short and really easy, can anyone confirm this? Looks interesting tho

• Snidesworth says:

It can be finished in a couple of hours and my only death was from titting around in the starting area. I was spoiled bout the nature of a certain enemy in the 2nd world though. That said I’ve now unlocked NG+ mode which is supposed to be much harder.

I’d also be doing the game a disservice if I didn’t mention that it was phenomenally fun.

• ColCol says:

I beat the game twice in around three hour. Several people have beat it in an hour. The normal game is very easy

4. Vinraith says:

I wasn’t aware of this, but it looks outstanding.

5. engion3 says:

It looks like a mix between CS 1.6 and Minecraft. Count me in.

6. Alexander says:

I wish I was Jim’s friend. Them he would but this game for me.

7. tumbleworld says:

They still acknowledging inspirations from everything & its kitchen sink, but not Minecraft?

(checks)

Yep; no sale.

• SamC says:

The similarity is that that world is made mostly of blocks, and the environment is destructible, with some powers that add/remove blocks, but that’s not the core of the game.

I’d say a better comparison would be Spelunky, with some Ultima Underworld-ish vibes.

• Davie says:

Oh boy, it has blocks. Must be a Minecraft clone!

Somewhere along the line, FPSs stopped being Doom clones, sandbox action games stopped being GTA clones, and RTSs stopped being Dune II clones. Those genres emerged from actual differences in gameplay, however, and seeing as the similarity to Minecraft stops at the six-sided scenery, saying that it’s a ripoff doesn’t even really make sense.

• Pippy says:

Minecraft is just a ripoff of 3d Ant Attack anyway

8. GamesInquirer says:

The last time Eldritch was mentioned here, it was compared to Delver as the superior game with much more variety and such. I was really looking forward to it as I also have that game and do find it a little lacking in depth (though it is still evolving, it’s not finished). Now I’ve played Eldritch I just don’t see it. Granted, I’m only at the 2nd book’s world (so about halfway there, another book world and then whatever unlocks behind that library door, unless there are many more worlds in there) but this is rather simplistic and arcade style. Purposeful or not, like Spelunky it has a limited amount of weapons, a limited amount of enemy behaviours (though some are neat I won’t spoil it here, yet others were annoying), a limited amount of equipment/spells/perks and such (some even seem overpowered, having the item that gives your bullets block breaking properties and the spell allowing you to place blocks anywhere for example). I like the game, it’s fun, but deeper than Delver it isn’t and I don’t see it having more lasting appeal. It just has different pacing. Delver doesn’t have the basic stealth, vertical level layouts and some of the more clever spells/perks of Eldritch but Eldritch doesn’t have the more traditional and extensive progression of weapons, armor and what not. I’d say they’re equal. Fun for a while with tons of untapped potential, not nearly as experimental as you’d think indies using these basic block based engines/graphics could be.

Edit: I reached the final world after a few tries, though I died and now I will have to complete the previous three worlds again to return. As the article mentions you need to do it all in one go, though you get to keep your stored currency (used to buy stuff and also as mana for spells and certain ools) and unlocked worlds except the final upon death. It feels like the design was compromised too. If you can only hold two weapons what’s the point of binding two keys for previous/next weapon? A switch weapon key would be enough. Similarly, upon every death you will have to do all the worlds again and it’s best to do them in the correct order to accumulate resources before tackling the tougher areas, so why keep them all unlocked? Anyway, my opinion hasn’t changed. It’s a fun but limited game with untapped potential.

9. Tiguh says:

Is that music in the game or is it, like, Gogol Bordello or someone? If that IS the game music I’m buying!

• squareking says:

I seem to recall someone mentioning that the in-game music is somewhat scarier/more fitting. Am I right, someone?

• Kerbobotat says:

Its a band called The Freak Fandango Orchestra, and the song is Requiem for a Fish. There’s definitely a strong resemblance to Gogol Bordello, and Katzenjammer, if you’ve ever heard of them.

10. strangeloup says:

I picked this up on a whim (though I’ve not tried it yet), because while I was initially under the impression it was Yet Another Minecraft Clone, it looks an awful lot more like a Lovecraft-themed Ultima Underworld, which is a concept so up my street that it’s lurking in the shadows outside my house and making a series of nightmarish shrieks.

11. Dave Tosser says:

I’m sure it’s mechanically sound, but I can’t shake the feeling that the idea for this game came about after the team sat down and listed all the indie fads and then dolloped on a bit of Lovecraft because, hey, it’s public domain! Kind of.

• Baines says:

Lovecraft is always an indie fad. Just look at They Bleed Pixels, or Octodad: Dadliest Catch. (Octodad for the stained glass Cthulhu in the church.)

• JamesTheNumberless says:

The simple explanations are always the best and the simple explanation for the recent popularity of Lovecraft is that his works became public domain in 2007, being 70 years after his death.

The irony of this is that the author himself, during his lifetime, actively encouraged people to reference his mythos and create derivative works – even collaborating with some who did.

12. The Random One says:

Do notice that the 20% off discout also appears to be if you buy the game direct from the developer at eldritchgame.com. Gone Home is also matching its Steam discount on the Humble store. You know what game is currently on sale on Steam but not if you buy direct from the dev? Sir, You Are Being Hunted. You know why? BECAUSE JIM IS SILLY AND CANNOT TIE HIS OWN SHOELACES.

13. DatonKallandor says:

It reminds me a lot of Minecraft crossed with Clive Barkers Undying. It has the same blocky-3D Lovecraftian spells+guns vibe.

14. Jackablade says:

Is there any way to crank up the diffculty in this game? I quite enjoyed my brief foray, but it didn’t really offer the challenge that I was hoping for.

• zentropy says:

Sadly, there isn’t. I havn’t tried it yet, but supposedly the NG+ mode will be much harder. The difficulty (or lack of) is the only downside to this awesome game imho. At least its not off-putting enough to detract from the massive fun to be had!

15. ColCol says:

Think Carefully before you buy this game. It’s fun. but it has little replay value and can be beaten extremely fast.

• Laurentius says:

Care to elaborate ? I mean in FTL even succesful run lasts generally 1-1.5 h and for me it have very big replay value so i’m curious if this game tread the same way..

• ColCol says:

FTL has multiple factors to increase replay value. Not only will the average person invest several hours to beat it, but you also have random events, customizable ships, different ships, randomized areas, etc. Eldritch will not only be beaten quickly, but the the small amount of enemies and items means most people will approach it the same exact way each time.

• qrter says:

Really, you finish FTL in 1 to 1.5 hours?

Jesus, I must be getting old.

16. Nerdy Suit says:

You lost me at “roguelike”.

Comment on this story