Gone Home Gets Commentary Mode Today

By Jim Rossignol on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

First-person ’90s ‘em up, Gone Home, receives a free update on the 22nd of this month, in the year 2013. That’s today! Fullbright’s tallest developer, Steve Gaynor, explains: “All of the developers on the game, as well as Sarah Grayson (the voice of Sam), Chris Remo our composer, and (in a super weird & cool twist, to me) Corin Tucker from the bands Heavens to Betsy and Sleater Kinney, recorded audio commentary.” This is a free update, and it’ll work as it does in other first-person games, with triggers around the game where you can hear folks talk about some game-relevant.

Gone Home has proven rather popular, shifting over 50k copies, and making Alec do a biographical skit.

, .

1. bit_crusherrr says:

Really don’t get the appeal behind this game. It’s like they played LA Noire and decided to make a whole game out of the bits where you go around inspecting stuff lying around on the floor.

• Bugamn says:

Sounds like an interesting game.

• belgand says:

No, LA Noire was actually rather dull most of the time.

• Bugamn says:

It doesn’t mean that a game about inspecting stuff and uncovering a story would need to be dull.

• Ross Angus says:

The game sort of takes place in your head. You’re collecting information and trying to piece it together into a coherent story. The moment which stands out for me (no spoilers) is when I looked at the calender in the kitchen. A plot thread which had me in great anxiety for the plight of some of the characters is resolved there.

The fact that the game doesn’t test the user on how well or poorly they are playing this game is irrelevant.

To use a bad analogy, it’s like the film Memento. You are given enough information, and you need to piece it together yourself.

2. Premium User Badge Eleven says:

I’m not sure I want to listen to the commentary for Gone Home, which is a bit weird as I enjoyed the commentary tracks Valve did for Half-Life and Portal. Maybe because it’s interactive fiction rather than a game, where your own personal subjective interpretation is important rather than the more objective things like the gameplay mechanics of a traditional game. I had my experience while playing and I’m not sure if I want that dulled by finding out what the authors were actually intending me to experience.

But then, I want to know what know what they say anyway, so I might as well use the excuse to play it through again.

• brittanysarah84 says:

my best friend’s step-mother makes $88/hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her pay was $14500 just working on the laptop for a few hours. this article ……

• Amun says:

But artist commentaries are great because of the fun you can have deflating people’s theories about what the artist was trying to do with the piece. Whee!

3. ZackRoyer says:

Great, it was only that girl monologues entire game, now I can play listening to developers monologues… They will probably tell you what you were supposed to feel on each part of the game, because the only thing I felt was boredom. It’s not because “it doesn’t have action or explosion” as some hipsters claim. Because the only person that spokes on the game is that girl crying over and over again, i mean, at least their parents could speak too. You could listen to some “fight” that the main character had with her father/mother in the kitchen for example, like ghost echoes… this game has so much opportunities…

4. uppi17 says:

It’s good to see that it’s not just Gillen who forgets to put the hyphen in Sleater-Kinney.

5. rei says:

Woa, Corin Tucker, that’s neat.

The game also went up on Steam’s Midweek Madness today, along with Sir/Madam, which shot up to #3 on the bestseller list right away. Are you fabulously wealthy now, Jim?

6. Jalan says:

Must be Gone Home celebration week or something, since it seems like Chris Remo has also finally released his score for the game onto Bandcamp.

7. Spectreman says:

Hope they explain in the commentaries how to charge 20 bucks for a 2 hour game with limited gameplay.

• The Random One says:

Just make the game orders of magnitude better than the 6 hour games they charge 60 bucks for.

• Defenestrated says:

Probably because of people like me who gladly paid for the game multiple times to give away to friends because it was such a singular and unique experience. Time per dollars metric is probably the least important metric to me at this point, and I’m grateful for quality short experiences. Besides, if I’m looking for something I can pile hours into with little investment needed, I can always go to Dota.

People sometimes look for different things out of their entertainment media. Weird!

8. mrbeman says:

I’m a vet that met my boyfriend online while I was in Afghanistan, during the era of DADT. My month’s leave that I spent with him at the end of my deployment shared some similarities to a high school romance, and having to drive back to my duty station at the end of it was unbelievably hard, including a sobbing roadside phonecall. So. I was deeply unprepared for the emotional gutpunch of playing gone home tonight.

Funny to see it called “dull” or the subject of $/minute complaints. Idiots.

• bit_crusherrr says:

People don’t like a game I like! What idiots!

• Piecewise says:

Well, congrats, you were effected mostly because of the fact that it has a similarity to your own life and was evoking your own memories.

Here’s the deal. The pure subject matter is fine. It’s the way it’s presented and written is dull and amateurish. And considering this “game” is basically a walking simulator, story is all it has. And, since it’s story is goddamn live journal levels of tripe, it renders the game to equal levels of pretentious tripe.

And you want to know the horrible truth about this game and the backlash? It’s not because of homophobia or anything like that. No. It’s because places like RPS and IGN and a million other reviewers gave this game an enormous pile of accolades and praise for absolutely no reason other then that it’s story involves a lesbian and the gaming media is on a big Gay, transgender, female, check your privilege kick right now. And when actual people played it, the majority of us were completely unaffected and unimpressed. And now we can’t voice that opinion without these gaming sites and their loyal followers screaming “BIGOT!” as a catch all excuse for any sort of criticism. It’s annoying and frankly depressing to see how something so thoroughly bland and mediocre can be touted as amazing simply because it’s appealing to a current tread of sensationalist journalism.

So I’m glad you liked it. And I honestly don’t care what genitals you have or where or who you chose to consensually stick them in. But please stop praising this game as something great or revolutionary simply because it involves an under utilized demographic of people. Because frankly, they deserve a better fucking game then this.

• longtimereader says:

Thank you. I agree with you completely this game is so mediocre and not very clever at all. The story is so uninspiring and poorly written that should not deserve this much praise. Only reason why it getting praise is the lesbian element by people who just want to sound open minded when. The Stanley Parable is way better game and more clever. This site has turn into more about politics and someone getting off on the smell of each other farts then games itself.

• gritz says:

“Unfortunately not all of us are carbon copies of the character in the game, so it’s not quite as effective.”

Being unable to empathize or relate to people or characters because they do not look like you or have the same exact experiences as you is a pretty big red flag that you may be a sociopath.

Sam’s story may be on the nose, but the real game is piecing together the stories of the mom and dad from the less obvious clues you’re given. It’s shockingly good design.