You’ll Never Believe What’s In CoD: Ghosts’ Launch Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on October 22nd, 2013 at 10:00 am.

In space, no one can hear you-- KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBLAMMMMMBLAAAAMMMWHOMPTHOOOOOOMSMASHCRASHEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Explosions.

The US flag.

A plane.

A helicopter.

Riley.

Eminem.

And. In. The. Game.

[An eagle screams, like a weeping angel]

More explosions.

A house crumbles.

Men dive.

A helicopter explodes into a train.

Men die.

A shark ponders, “What does this mean?”

The trees reply, “Tree sounds.”

Vehicles, like dogs but with wheels.

Wolves, like dogs but without men.

Men, like dogs.

Space: just like in Gravity.

A faint, wafting five-second guitar solo.

Explosions.

fin.

(Call of Duty: Ghosts will be out in two weeks. That was a “launch” trailer for some reason.)

Perhaps the reason is

Videogames?

fin for real this time

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RedViv says:

“What does this mean? I thought there would be cod here. I was told there would be cod here! I feel cheated. Also hungry. I’m out!”

2. phelix says:

The World, as directed by Michael Bay.

3. aldo_14 says:

You can pretty much judge the development time of CoD games nowadays just by working out which action movie trailers they ripped off. It’s like a giant grab bag of copying.

EDIT: I make Transformers 3 and Gravity, at a glance. Really, though, everything just inspires Deja vu. To think I used to like this series.

• Clavus says:

I don’t think they actually had enough time to rip off Gravity. Though they probably just ended up using the same trend-prediction agency that said “astronauts” to all their clients.

• belgand says:

It’s not incredibly original, but I want to believe that the bit where bro-dude slides down the side of a building is inspired by Jackie Chan’s “Who Am I?”.

Actually, when do we get a Jackie Chan game where everything is charmingly goofy rather than grimdark “realism”?

• ColonelClaw says:

I couldn’t decide between Turner & Hooch or Beverley Hills Chihuahua

4. Cinek says:

Next episode of ungame.
    So exciting….

5. RaveTurned says:

Well, this clearly has deep and worthwhile things to say about the human condition.

This is why we videogaming.

6. pakoito says:

They need to start including this kind of music in their trailers

Sarah Brightman and José Carreras – Amigos Para Siempre

7. Leaufai says:

The female astronaut looks like Alison Brie.

8. emro says:

*yawn* Collector’s Edition comes with Call of Duty puppy, right?

9. P.Funk says:

I believe its fairly obvious that the message is anything you see in this game should be expected to blow up at some point.

10. Panda Powered says:

If a tree explodes in a forest and no one is turning around to see it, does it make a sound?
    - Yes. Even in space. Suck it Bishop Berkeley! *high fiving nearby bros*

• Scumbag says:

If no one is turning to face it, then they are clearly walking (or in space drifting) away from it in slow motion.
      What if one cannot see an exploding tree? It is because they are too cool to do so.

• Panda Powered says:

Albert Einstein once asked Niels Bohr if he really thought the moon didn’t exist when nobody was observing it. Bohr answered “of course, it explodes all cool like while someone is walking away from it”.

• BooleanBob says:

Press X To Kick Stone

• LionsPhil says:

…I’m pretty sure you’d hear that explosion, given it’s also pushing all the atmosphere that was in your tin can into your space-face. It might sound weird, but it would sound sound-y.

11. Kollega says:

COMMAND, THIS IS CALL OF DUDEBRO: FRATBOY WARFARE! WE ARE OSCAR MIKE TO THE GAMESTOP SHELVES! HOO-AH!

12. Text_Fish says:

I always love the COD trailers. It’s like playing the game, but for free and I don’t have to waste hours of my life!

13. Bull0 says:

Purely to break the misery chain, I’d like to just say I watched the multiplayer trailer that’s linked at the end of that admittedly not exciting “launch trailer” and it was actually quite cool. But then I’m a self-confessed cod apologist. Codpologist.

• Gap Gen says:

I’ve bought every PC CoD with a demo. Whether that’s because the demo sold it for me, or whether it took a turn into Crazy Town about the time they stopped making demos, I’m unsure. But sure, from what I’ve played of the CoD series, it’s a pretty great shooter (note: can’t comment on anything past CoD:MW)

• Pumkins says:

Pumkins knows that a wizard does not have to apologize for any of its actions.
      Pumkins has enjoyed all of the cod’s in all of their many flavors. But Pumkins will not be enjoying this one.
      Partially because Pumkins is wary of ghosts, but primarily because Pumkins has spent most of its gold on speckled root and grog.

14. lowprices says:

That was beautiful. Your interpretation, I mean. The trailer was a big pile of Tom-Clancy-directed-by-Michael-Bay bullcrap.

15. Zankmam says:

Some of these comments are just pitiful.

Yes, we get it, CoD is supposed to be a simple, explosion-filled, cliched action movie of a game – thus the linearity and predictable nature of it.

Stop mindlessly hating on it and calling it an “ungame” or something. It’s not 2010 anymore.

• Melipone says:

But all of those things are still as true as they’ve always been! Just because they’ve been true for a long time, doesn’t make them not worth saying. Stop hating on CoD haters – it’s not 2012 anymore.

• Bull0 says:

I think the sheer redundancy of the comments does rather make them not worth saying. It doesn’t make them less true but it does make them banal.

• derbefrier says:

Yup anything worth saying has already been said thousands of times. The comments are as tired and used as the game itself. Of course on the internet there’s always someone who’s new to the party and thinks they are soooo clever when they say things like Call of Dudebro:dubebros demise.

• GameCat says:

If it was a movie it would be shit. But come on, who doesn’t want to shoot down russian space rocket that is actually taking off from Earth (CODBLOPS) or shoot goddamn Fidel Castro (again, CODBLOPS) while everything else near you is exploding.

COD from Modern Warfare was Saint’s Row 3&4 of gaming before SR 3&4 even existed.

• Melipone says:

I can see how as part of an immersive experience that stuff could be fun (actually I’d rather not shoot Fidel), but as part of a Michael Bay narrative I lose interest waaay before the fancy ending setpieces. I just can’t suspend my disbelief through all that bad writing.

• bills6693 says:

Indeed.

I made myself sit through the one with the asteroid that the oil drillers go explode before it destroys earth. It was on BBC (usually quality programming, not sure what happened there. Budget cuts?), so I thought, no ads, how terrible could it be?

Within about 30 seconds I was raising my eyebrow. Within 5 minutes I was sick of the constant explosions. And by the end, I was amazed at the lenghs the writing had gone to allow them to remain in earth-like gravity throughout the eitire film – yes, the bits on the shuttle, the bit on the space station, the bit on the asteroid.

It truly was a terrible film and this trailer reminds me of it. This trailer is tainted.

• aldo_14 says:

Predictability is fine in this sort of game in terms of storyline.

What the problem is – and the reason for hatred – is that hype and explosions have directly replaced gameplay, such that (infamously) in certain cases you can just walk from setpiece to setpiece without having do even bother shooting. The backlash arises from the iterative removal of innovation (and length) from the single player game, and in the way the games have actually increased in popularity alongside this.

• Volcanu says:

Here, here.

I think most of us can think of games we love with a linear structure. And I dont think a predictable storyline is necessarily a problem either – for some games with a predictable narrative the story simply doesnt matter all that much, and in others its the way the story is told that makes it engaging, even if the overall plot is largely derivative.

The difference between something like the first COD and Black Ops is that the first gave you the freedom to approach most of the encounters as you saw fit. I fondly remember crouching in a bush and planning my assault on Pegasus Bridge in the first one, getting mown down by MG42 fire and having to rethink my approach. The game was linear, but the encounters didnt play out in a linear fashion.

Now you have been placed so much on a rail that you are barely required to do anything. Just hold down the trigger. That stuff the poster (somewhere) above mentioned about shooting a space rocket out of the sky whilst explosions go off around you, should set the pulse racing. But for me, it didnt. There’s just no sense of jeopordy anymore, nothing has any weight – even killing feels empty and inconsequential. That was one of the best things about the first COD compared to the highly inconsistent Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, which had an excellent first half before it descended into a brainless turkey shoot with endlessly spawning waves of german soldiers. Its sad that COD games have now become just like that. But with a bigger pyrotechnics budget.

Anyway, I do agree with some other posters that COD bashing is a largely redundant exercise. I think its more or less all been said. Which rather begs the question, why did I bother posting at all.

Bugger.

• lucasdigital says:

Spot on, Zankmam.

Games that I don’t like, I just filter out. People who take the time to come to a COD post and stick their misplaced boot in are wasting everyone’s time. Personally Battlefield 3 won the FPS cold war, but the criticisms placed at COD’s door where true before Modern Warfare and apply to pretty much any ‘shooter with a campaign. When you’re selling a game you use the cinematic cut scenes as your best-foot-forward – that this doesn’t feature ‘game play’ may be a fair point but we all know that campaign represents no more than a couple of days of play time — and the vast majority of the game time is in Multiplayer.

• BoZo says:

So it’s less true when nothing has changed for three years? Would this trailer even be impressive in 2010?

16. thekelvingreen says:

Yes, yes, but my question remains: can you play as the dog?

17. Laurentius says:

It’s not enough to just not look at exlposions to be cool, the new level of coolnes comes from casually ducking falling helicopter then continue runing without looking back at this same helicopter exploding.

18. yhalothar says:

Note that this is a “gameplay” trailer and yet there not a single second of actual gameplay is shown. All we see are in-game cutscenes.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah…those are the “Gameplay”.

• Bull0 says:

CoD doesn’t really use many cutscenes, although they have crept in to the Treyarch ones… but what we appear to have here is lots of game sequences captured by a floating camera rather than first-person. At least “one second” of it is gameplay, though – namely the bits where the player’s riding some kind of vehicle. That fighter plane section looks pretty similar to the equivalent section in Blops 2.

19. LordMidas says:

I love COD games. Then I slowly learn to not like them (mainly Black Ops). Then the next one comes along (like Ghosts), and I’m all stoked and want to play COD again.

But not yet. BF4 gets first shout.

20. Turkey says:

Last time I watched one of their trailers it was just a guy in a jungle with a dog, and now it’s like space and helicopters and a dude falling from the world’s tallest walkway.

21. ruthj240 says:

My Uncle got black Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan just by parttime work from a laptop… ………. http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

22. bills6693 says:

If they sold the single-player campaign for like £5 I might be tempted to buy it just to experience the big cinematic scenes. But I’m not willing to pay £40 or whatever they’re gonna charge.

Yes I know most of the enjoyment is meant to be in the multiplayer, but honestly, that doesn’t interest me at all.

23. bstard says:

All that stuck in my brain after reading this was: does EA still uses that ‘it’s in the game’ by that guy who’s desperately doing something on the toilet?

24. Bine says:

I have long since given in to the fact that I am a ‘CoD-bitch’. The games are great fun to me, just a shame they are always $60 dlc! Though, really, its no different than paying for WoW… Just wish it gave me the same support as paying for WoW xP

25. Eight Rooks says:

On the one hand, I get as sick of the knee-jerk “Yawn, isn’t Call of Duty dead by now?” nonsense as anyone who isn’t a card-carrying member of the Glorious PC Mastah Race – oh, and that guy commenting higher up who seems to have broken his monocle frowning at Armageddon playing fast and loose with the laws of physics? You must be a blast at parties. (“Sound? SOUND? But it’s outer space! What do they teach them in school these days? Wait, where are you going?”)

On the other hand, no matter how optimistic or inclusive I try to be, that is a bloody awful trailer by any measure. Eminem track doesn’t fit, doesn’t explain a damn thing, doesn’t really show anything visually interesting (even things being blowed up)… just ugh. I am vaguely tempted by Ghosts; I’ve not played a single CoD since the first Modern Warfare. (Well, apart from Strike Team on iOS.) But that trailer is seriously killing what little interest I’ve got.

• MacTheGeek says:

“Sound In Space” wasn’t the worst part of Armageddon. The worst part of Armageddon was after Bruce Willis turned himself into free-floating neutrons, we saw scenes of the entire world celebrating — and it was daytime all around the planet at the same time.

26. Duke of Chutney says:

so the new mechanic is grabbing on to arms of people falling in to oblivion?

tap A the grab!

27. tobecooper says:

I am slightly concerned about people working at IGN. They seem to have some serious issues with breathing, and this is not the first time I see such a quote from them.

28. uh20 says:

dogs will control every killstreak
    killstreaks will control every dog.

29. Moraven says:

So will the Dog die and the player get angry?

I like the Riddick action and reaction to a loyal companion.

30. SuicideKing says:

Well, bang on CoD all you want, but they’ve actually tried something this time that BIS refused to even acknowledge was a thing, and Crytek failed miserably at: They’ve included women characters in the game.

I just think it’s a big deal, considering CoD’s position in the FPS scene.

Hopefully more will follow now.

That said, will i play CODBOO? No, not till it’s selling for less than $10.

31. liquidsoap89 says:

I really wish Activision would sell the campaign separately at a reduced price. I’d pay $30 to turn my brain off for a few hours, especially when space is involved.

Of course Modern Warface 3 still isn’t even that cheap, so I don’t think I’ll be trying this out for quite a while (if ever).

32. Boffin says:

100 comments on article making fun of CoD for being CoD, less than 20 on each article either side about indie games. Don’t ever change, RPS (unless you’re going to be the change you want to see, etc etc)

33. ANtY says:

Anyone knows the name of this song?

34. ShadowLeague says:

Michel Bay is that you? I laughed my ass off while watching this, I might even get this game if for nothing other than shits and giggles. The only game more over the top is Saints Row(which ever).

Comment on this story