Iubes Looks Like Quite A Different Word In This Headline

Yeah. One of those times when our headline convention doesn’t quite work with a game’s name, which in this case should be an all lower-case ‘iubes’. Anyway, iubes is a peculiar sort of RTS, one which involves AI cube creatures living on the inside of a sphere. It looks like a high-speed God game, but with a lot of other RTS elements thrown in, plus, well, it doesn’t quite look like anything else. As the developer opines, “I don’t know exactly how to categorize this game. It’s a half real-time strategy game, half god-game, with maybe some other halves…” There’s a beta sign up available for you to register interest.

You can watch a couple of minutes of it below.

Fascinating stuff, even if it is pretty hard to figure out what’s going. For a better idea have a look at the details on this page, where it explains some of the concepts.

Thanks, PixelProspector.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I don’t know why, but the title screenshot grabbed me by the prefrontal cortex and immediately activated my interest nodes.

Llewyn says:

Don’t know about you, but it immediately triggered the 14 year old part of my brain that still thinks Zarch/Virus is just the most awesome looking thing ever.

• Schwerpunkt says:

This engine should be used to make RTS’s set in some sci-fi book universe that has everyone living in cylindrical O’Neill colonies.

• pupsikaso says:

It looks more like something like a 360 degree vision fed from an aerial drone to a commander’s visor.

• Warduke says:

Yes, liking the “playing in a cylinder” look. Some cool screenies on the website.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

From just the picture, I thought it was something to do with Darwinina: link to google.com

2. Hypnotron says:

Wow. Another unique indie game. Some suit from EA or Sony or somesuchclowncompany once said “Garage game development is dead!”

3. pupsikaso says:

If it looks like an RTS and smells like an RTS…

• Baboonanza says:

Looks to me like you play by putting down buildings (increase food/increase pop/defensive/offensive) rather than controlling units individually and the little dudes fight when they get close enough.

So from that brief video I’d say more super-fast god-game than RTS.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Except that controlling units individually is (generally? definitely when it reaches the level of micromanagement) more of a tactical element of RTSs rather than what makes something a strategy game.

4. Grey Poupon says:

If you don’t know how to categorize your game, just call it a Roguelike.

5. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. God help us if it’s as difficult as that game was.

(And YES, I realize that it’s not the same genre at all, but it’s giving me flashbacks just looking at that screenshot.)

6. SRTie4k says:

The third half looks kinda like Descent.

7. Freud says:

Looks very gimmicky and not all that substancey.

8. Ooops says:

Am I the only one who immediately thought about Arthur C. Clarke’s Rama when confronted to that screenshot?

• Werthead says:

Yes. I immediately thought “Ramacraft.”

Ramaface? Or are we not doing that any more?

• Mr. Mister says:

I thought of Rama too, specially when they built those lightning towers.

Then, I thought how many spatial dimenjsions would there need to be in order to get a uniform gravity distribution inside a sphere.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

I may be missing some additional context here (haven’t read Rama, not sure what the relevance of changing the number of dimensions is) but a sphere/ spherical shell (in isolation from other sources of gravity) has a uniform gravity distribution inside it, it’s 0 everywhere.

• oyog says:

That’s silly! I mean, I get that we’re talking sci-fi so you could just magic the question away with “gravity generators” but if you wanted gravity in a sphere all you’d have to do is spin the sphere along an axis so you have gravity along an equator perpendicular to the axis.

Maybe not, I made most of that up in my head and for all I know this game takes place on a cellular scale in someone’s stomach or something. The cylinders that have been suggested seem the most likely candidate to me so far. I vaguely remember reading a piece of science fiction about massive canisters people lived in that hung out in Earth’s Lagrange points. I still can’t imagine how those massive bodies of water at the north and south pole would work though.

…oh gosh hold on I gotta go search Google for Kerbal Space Program and Lagrange points.

• hjd_uk says:

Perhaps: The shell of the sphere is hyper-dense and is the source of the gravity, towards the centre of the sphere, the gravity would fade and opposing sides would cancel out to create low/zero-gravity in the centre whereby the ‘sun’ in the centre can have its own gravitaty well and pull itself into a sphere.

• hjd_uk says:

Nope, first thing i thought of too :)

9. lunarplasma says:

It’s the Thistledown!

10. Lemming says:

I can’t believe they didn’t call this iTubes. What a missed opportunity!

11. SillyWizard says:

Finally, we have the technology!

Blend this world-construction with the gameplay of AssCreed and we can experience Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser as it was meant to be!

12. MacTheGeek says:

The capitalization of Iubes makes one think that the game environment is astro-gliding through space.

haowan says:

I 100% have no clue what was going on in that video.

14. TheCube says:

Just bought this game and played a couple of online matches – much more interesting than the AI. Seems that people so far are recklessly expanding as compared to my strategy of “clump everything up in a big clump” which as won both the online matches so far.

I love two things about this: the asynchronous multiplayer, and the ability to change the speed of the game at will. I don’t like RTSes because they are too focused on micromanaging most of the time and I just suck. Being able to play at my own speed (i.e. putting the game to 0 speed whenever i need to do anything, then zooming through the boring waiting bits) lets me micromanage without having to have insane reaction times.

I wish there was more feedback about why I’m winning or losing, specifically the ability to watch a replay of the game which seems crazy that it’s not already a feature given the way that it handles multiplayer. I also wish that there was a way to play specific people. It’s hard to recommend to my friends if I can’t play them directly.

But other than that, this has been a good $15 spent so far and I plan on getting into it a lot more.