Iubes Looks Like Quite A Different Word In This Headline

By Jim Rossignol on October 23rd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Yeah. One of those times when our headline convention doesn’t quite work with a game’s name, which in this case should be an all lower-case ‘iubes’. Anyway, iubes is a peculiar sort of RTS, one which involves AI cube creatures living on the inside of a sphere. It looks like a high-speed God game, but with a lot of other RTS elements thrown in, plus, well, it doesn’t quite look like anything else. As the developer opines, “I don’t know exactly how to categorize this game. It’s a half real-time strategy game, half god-game, with maybe some other halves…” There’s a beta sign up available for you to register interest.

You can watch a couple of minutes of it below.

Fascinating stuff, even if it is pretty hard to figure out what’s going. For a better idea have a look at the details on this page, where it explains some of the concepts.

Thanks, PixelProspector.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I don’t know why, but the title screenshot grabbed me by the prefrontal cortex and immediately activated my interest nodes.

2. Hypnotron says:

Wow. Another unique indie game. Some suit from EA or Sony or somesuchclowncompany once said “Garage game development is dead!”

HA! IT’S NEVER BEEN MORE VIBRANT!

3. pupsikaso says:

If it looks like an RTS and smells like an RTS…

• Baboonanza says:

Looks to me like you play by putting down buildings (increase food/increase pop/defensive/offensive) rather than controlling units individually and the little dudes fight when they get close enough.

So from that brief video I’d say more super-fast god-game than RTS.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Except that controlling units individually is (generally? definitely when it reaches the level of micromanagement) more of a tactical element of RTSs rather than what makes something a strategy game.

4. Grey Poupon says:

If you don’t know how to categorize your game, just call it a Roguelike.

5. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. God help us if it’s as difficult as that game was.

(And YES, I realize that it’s not the same genre at all, but it’s giving me flashbacks just looking at that screenshot.)

6. SRTie4k says:

The third half looks kinda like Descent.

7. Freud says:

Looks very gimmicky and not all that substancey.

8. Ooops says:

Am I the only one who immediately thought about Arthur C. Clarke’s Rama when confronted to that screenshot?

• Werthead says:

Yes. I immediately thought “Ramacraft.”

Ramaface? Or are we not doing that any more?

• Mr. Mister says:

I thought of Rama too, specially when they built those lightning towers.

Then, I thought how many spatial dimenjsions would there need to be in order to get a uniform gravity distribution inside a sphere.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

I may be missing some additional context here (haven’t read Rama, not sure what the relevance of changing the number of dimensions is) but a sphere/ spherical shell (in isolation from other sources of gravity) has a uniform gravity distribution inside it, it’s 0 everywhere.

• oyog says:

That’s silly! I mean, I get that we’re talking sci-fi so you could just magic the question away with “gravity generators” but if you wanted gravity in a sphere all you’d have to do is spin the sphere along an axis so you have gravity along an equator perpendicular to the axis.

Maybe not, I made most of that up in my head and for all I know this game takes place on a cellular scale in someone’s stomach or something. The cylinders that have been suggested seem the most likely candidate to me so far. I vaguely remember reading a piece of science fiction about massive canisters people lived in that hung out in Earth’s Lagrange points. I still can’t imagine how those massive bodies of water at the north and south pole would work though.

…oh gosh hold on I gotta go search Google for Kerbal Space Program and Lagrange points.

• hjd_uk says:

Perhaps: The shell of the sphere is hyper-dense and is the source of the gravity, towards the centre of the sphere, the gravity would fade and opposing sides would cancel out to create low/zero-gravity in the centre whereby the ‘sun’ in the centre can have its own gravitaty well and pull itself into a sphere.

• hjd_uk says:

Nope, first thing i thought of too :)

9. lunarplasma says:

It’s the Thistledown!

10. Lemming says:

I can’t believe they didn’t call this iTubes. What a missed opportunity!

11. SillyWizard says:

Finally, we have the technology!

Blend this world-construction with the gameplay of AssCreed and we can experience Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser as it was meant to be!

12. MacTheGeek says:

The capitalization of Iubes makes one think that the game environment is astro-gliding through space.

13. silver722 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Work for few hours and have more time with friends & family! On tuesday I got a great new Land Rover Range Rover from having earned $4151 this last four weeks. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/w7ceUX

14. haowan says:

I 100% have no clue what was going on in that video.

15. TheCube says:

Just bought this game and played a couple of online matches – much more interesting than the AI. Seems that people so far are recklessly expanding as compared to my strategy of “clump everything up in a big clump” which as won both the online matches so far.

I love two things about this: the asynchronous multiplayer, and the ability to change the speed of the game at will. I don’t like RTSes because they are too focused on micromanaging most of the time and I just suck. Being able to play at my own speed (i.e. putting the game to 0 speed whenever i need to do anything, then zooming through the boring waiting bits) lets me micromanage without having to have insane reaction times.

I wish there was more feedback about why I’m winning or losing, specifically the ability to watch a replay of the game which seems crazy that it’s not already a feature given the way that it handles multiplayer. I also wish that there was a way to play specific people. It’s hard to recommend to my friends if I can’t play them directly.

But other than that, this has been a good $15 spent so far and I plan on getting into it a lot more.

Comment on this story