Lone Survivor Director’s Cut Has A Predictable Release Date

By Alec Meer on October 23rd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

I called this image lsd.jpg, because I am a grown-up

Accursed PlayStation-folk, they with the yawning vacuums where their souls should be, they whose only true pleasure in life is the taking of another’s life, they who present daily offerings of slaughtered housecats to the eight-foot effigies of Aleister Crowley they keep in their bathrooms, they who only smile when watching news reports of ferry sinkings and plane crashes, have been enjoying the expanded Director’s Cut of Lone Survivor for around a month. But what of PC players, those luminous beings, those modern-day angels, those champions of generosity and kindness, those guardians of love?

They’ve only got to wait until Halloween, it transpires. And, to reward them for their wondrousness, any of them who’ve already bought the original edition of the game will get the new version for free.

“I gave it a huge amount of thought”, says dev Jasper Byrne of Superflat Games, “and eventually I realised I would rather just give the update away for FREE to all 800,000+ customers, to say thank you for your support… and that’s exactly what I’m going to do!”

(800,000 is a lot of people).

He will be raising the price of the game for new purchasers soon after release, however. Also announced is that saves will be transferable betwixt old and new versions of the game, which means you won’t need to start over should you wish to explore the new items, puzzles, dialogue and revised conclusion in the Director’s Cut. More exact details on those changes may be found a few pixels below this sentence. I’ll use a trailer as a breakwater though, in case the flood of information is too much for your puny mortal mind.

general features:

whole new lighting engine, also supports 1 extra hardware light
many locations have additional lights and / or tweaked lighting
anamorphic lens flare for the flashlight
new sleeping and game over music
new title screen and game over screen
2 additional locations
hundreds of small bug fixes, balance tweaks and improvements
automatic monster-facing on gun-draw
a few small easter eggs
new short sidequest
ending ‘collection’
‘The Ritual’

specific to New Game+:

around 6 new locations
2 completely new endings
3 new songs
over 20 new items
2 new sidequests
new enemy
new dialogue for all characters in the game
many other easter eggs that are better left unspoilt

Again, that’s out on Halloween, as I suspect will be an exhausting quantity of ‘spooky’ updates for existing games. /Grump.

__________________

« | »

1. realitysconcierge says:

Oh don’t be grumpy Mr. Meer! It wrinkles your face so, and we can’t have those becoming permanent. Come, let’s celebrate my birthday together.

2. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Hm.
    Team Fortress 2
    Killing Floor
    Guild Wars 2
    World of Warcraft
    Borderlands 2 (assuming the just-released DLC doesn’t count)?
    Planetside (do they do themed events?)

3. Tiax says:

Now that’s a classy move. Thanks, Mr. Dev.

4. DrScuttles says:

It’s really rather good of Sony (and obviously also Jasper Byrne for putting this out as a free update) to let this happen before Lone Survivor The Director’s Cut’s exclusivity period is up. But to invoke the awe-inspiring floor of the Black Lodge, Sony seems to be zigging where Microsoft are zagging these days.
    And Deadly Premonition is out around Halloween. So all will be well.

• Convolvulus says:

Sony has been great since the big PSN shutdown. I think it started with a host of grudging concessions intended to win back customers, and after a while the executives noted that adding great titles to PlayStation Plus and offering deep discounts proved to be a sound approach. Unfortunately, putting multiplayer behind a PS+ pay wall is probably going to numb Sony’s drive to create quality subscription bait.

As to your invocation, I interpret the room with the zig-zag floor as the threshold to both Lodges, a place where people are tested (after death in most cases) and then diverted to one reality or another. The Little Man from Another Place refers to it as the waiting room, and if it were the Black Lodge itself, I don’t think the kindly waiter would be hanging around.

• DrScuttles says:

Yes, on reflection it’s much more likely to be the waiting room. Interesting that the spirits seem to use it as a meeting place when there are no people around to see them, but with that aesthetic (and coffee. sometimes.) who would blame them?

5. Aristotlol says:

Has the map been improved? That’s what stopped me playing it the first time…

6. Falcon says:

This is the one time I’m glad that my backlog has gotten so big that it takes me forever to get to games. DX:HR Director’s Cut, Lone Survivor Director’s Cut, etc. Not that the games before weren’t great by all accounts, but with my limited time it’s nice to play the most polished release.

7. lowprices says:

Housecats are rubbish anyway. Been playing this on the Vita (which I believe you are also the owner of, Mr. Meer, you cat-slaughtering monster you) for the first time and it’s brilliant. No idea how it compares to the original, but that there lighting engine is very good. Get it if you haven’t, graciously allow your pc to download the update if you have.

8. Wedge says:

I can get down with free. I liked the original, but felt a bit let down after beating it. Probably worth another go-round’ with all the new and fixed stuff though.

9. dethtoll says:

I have all of Sony’s major gaming products in one form or another and yet the cats in our neighborhood seem to be overrunning everything. I DEFY STEREOTYPES

Also, Lone Survivor is very very good. It’s basically the Silent Hill 2 sequel I’ve been waiting for.

10. silver722 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Work for few hours and have more time with friends & family! On tuesday I got a great new Land Rover Range Rover from having earned $4151 this last four weeks. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/w7ceUX

Comment on this story