Oh, Alright: Have Some New X Rebirth Screenshots

By Craig Pearson on October 23rd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Just the other day I gave you all the gift of a new trailer for X Rebirth, and Egosoft has followed that up with a few new screenshots. I was in two minds about posting them: I am in danger of dragging everyone down into the gravitational pull of my personal excitement, and should probably stop making words about it, but then I clicked on them and my instant reaction was to share. They are very pretty, particularly the one with the asteroids. So here they are, a gallery of gorgeous space graphics.

I hope Rebirth comes with some sort of screenshot mode. The demo I played did have a screenshot button that dumped the player position info, but it also included the cockpit in the screen. There was nothing in the menus about hiding the screen elements. Obviously the developers have the ability to shoot without anything in the way. Please let us have that, Egosoft!

But I must remind you that I love Trespasser, and you should probably remember that when I make any recommendation. To help with that, I’ve cunningly interspersed the goggling gallery of space vistas with some shots of a shonky dinosaur simulator that I occasionally reload and play. To be fair, I’ve labelled both games. The Rebirth shots cab be embiggened.

X

Trespasser

X

Trespasser

X

Trespasser

X

, , .

1. Schwerpunkt says:

I’m trying to kickstart a space game where all the pilots are dinosaurs, and they pilot giant ships also shaped like giant metal dinosaurs. Can I put you down for a few mil?

amateurviking says:

I actually can’t get my head round playing in the spaces presented in the X shots. Can’t wait for this!

3. Yosharian says:

Well I’m quite glad you posted the trailer article again because I never got round to watching it the first time.

So this game is looking quite epic, anyway.

4. Keyrock says:

It’s far too late for me, Craig. I’ve already gone way past the event horizon, there is no way to escape the gravitational pull now. I’m drifting straight into the heart of the excitement black hole. I have reached a hype level of OVER 9000!

Cinek says:

2nd X screenshot isn’t from Mass Effect by any chance?
    ;)

6. kael13 says:

I do hope this game turns out to be good.

7. schlusenbach says:

I will buy this in a year, when modders made it fun. But it looks good!

8. phobic says:

I had trouble getting into the previous X’s. But i’m super fucking excited for this!

9. airmikee99 says:

Embiggen is a perfectly cromulent word.

10. Talon2000uk says:

Trespasser? Deploy the arm. :D

• int says:

Where’s my health bar?

Look at your own tits, silly!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Curiously, as a man, a quick look at the state of my own tits gives a decent impression of my current health.

Gap Gen says:

In the sequel you can visit one of the many licensed medical practitioners for a full examination including blood work, in order to determine if your potassium levels are too low or if you need to cut back on health packs.

11. Baines says:

Maybe it is just me, but the Trespasser shots looked like a more interesting game. The X Rebirth shots just look like space-themed wallpaper.

(X Rebirth looks better in motion, obviously.)

12. LookingGlass says:

I ALSO love Tresspasser. SO GOOD.

13. wz says:

Craig:”I am in danger of dragging everyone down into the gravitational pull of my personal excitement”

Imagine a universe in which you could do that as much as you like! With absolutely no harm done all because there’s no suspicious embargo on reviews before the release date!. Maybe it’s time for an association of journalists to set the ground rules, instead of marketing divisions.

If Egosoft have made a great game they should really not bother with an embargo that goes right until the release, especially since they’d benefit from all the word of mouth caused by a pageful of glowing Metacritic reviews by reaching a lot more people who might otherwise not play an X game. An old fashioned demo wouldn’t hurt either.

Here are two videos where the gamescom demo got explored thoroughly (by a very excited X fan). Video 1 , Video 2.

If the first person environments have a lot of procedural bits and aren’t just a bunch of set FPS levels, there might be some interesting first person mods.