DayZ Likely Headed To Steam Early Access, On ‘Final Lap’

By Nathan Grayson on October 24th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Zombies are nothing if not decisive, single-minded creatures, but DayZ‘s standalone has proven to be anything but. After narrowing down a release date on multiple separate occasions, it recently ended up on the backside of another delay – having slipped on the diabolical banana peel that is unforeseen server infrastructure issues. It was only a matter of time, though, before it rose again, hungry for human gray matter and brain-stroking moral quandaries. Today(Z) is that day(Z). Kinda. The multiplayer survival dynamo has appeared as an Early Access game in Steam’s database, and Rocket’s once again optimistic about an impending launch.

He clarified the Steam listing to Joystiq, but was hesitant to commit to any specific date. He explained:

“All I can say is that progress has been very good, we’re a mix of nervous and excited. And as I’d stated on my Twitter when I announced my break from social media/updates, we are on the final lap. Part of the final process involves the actual administration of the release, which is actually surprisingly complex and time-consuming.”

“So, to confirm, there is no release date announcement and we’re 100 percent focused on getting the alpha out the door.”

The Steam listing certainly¬†seems to suggest that it’s not terribly far off, but it’s impossible to say when exactly it’ll be d-day for Z-day.

I suppose all we can do is pretty much the same thing we’ve been doing the entire time: wait. Well, unless you’ve already moved on. Who’s still looking forward to this one? Do you still have¬†the hunger for chompy zombies and backstab-y humanfolk? Or do you feel like this concept is already played out?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. methodology says:

hopefully they can rescue this game from the grave, but i fear the genre might be dead. However these things tend to take on a life of their own.

2. MajorManiac says:

I hope they add the ability to create your own dedicated server. As I will only want to play this with my friends and not out in the wild.

3. Eldritch says:

I cannot wait for this. Still play the mod, have done since May 2012 and it consistently provides the most thrilling and terrifying moments of any game I’ve ever played.

4. Drake Sigar says:

There’s been a backlash on RPS about Day Z for some reason. That month I played provided unique and fresh new stories, being one of the most intense, exciting, and frustrating videogames I’ve played. Every time the name is uttered I just want to start rambling about my experiences.

• jama says:

You’re not alone.

• Amun says:

I’m one of the backlash people!

DayZ when it first showed up was as you describe it — thrills, chills, anxiety over being shot by someone or someones watching you from up on those hills or in that building, etc etc.

My backlash moment came when Rocket decided it was more important to add stuff like wire fencing to the game than it was to fix vehicle or tent saving. It felt like every patch he produced added something pointless while making the core game worse. Then he took out the bandit skin and then the game became shoot everyone or they will shoot you. Then the hackers showed up and I stopped playing.

The standalone may have fixed all of those problems, but the man at the helm is the same one that ruined (IMO) the mod, so it’s going to have to work extra hard to win me back.

• chris1479 says:

I can recognise the development stages you’re referring to there and yeah DayZ went through a very long and difficult ‘patch’ (or 5) where it wasn’t going forward so much as it was going sideways. At one point, possibly around the same time as you from the sounds of it, I did actually get completely fed up of it and just stopped playing.

I played it again a while later and whilst tonnes of stuff needs fixing and improving the severe, game-breaking cheating and hacking going on has 99.9% just faded away. Which is great news.

The last patch (to my knowledge it was the last one, maybe there’s been a more recent one) was unfortunately also pretty game-breakingly ridiculous. Instead of weapons/items being rare they were….

EVERYWHERE. MOAR. YES MOAR CANS. FREE STUFFZ. GUNZ?!? YA!

In other words every couple of feet there was an AK 47 lying on the ground. Hungry? Why not visit the fire station and pick up a three course meal and mountain dew (scattered across the floor – just like in real life)

Ok well I started off on a good note with DayZ and now realised again why I’m pissed off with it. But there you go, that’s dayz, one patch it’s way up and the next it’s just fucking borked and you’re pretty much just wasting your time playing it.

I also agree about the bandit skins, WTF was that about? To this day I don’t know what on earth Rocket was thinking. Same goes for this latest Call of DayZ patch which is basically free shit everywhere all the time ’cause that’s what fun is right? Ridiculous.

• xaphoo says:

Yeah. That first month with DayZ was one of the most memorable video game experiences of my life. I dreamed about that game. I was profoundly moved by the game. I bonded with my father over it. The game was a kind of monument of indifference and ugliness and a mirror of the world – it didn’t even feel like a game at all in terms of the experiences it offered. It really transcended the usual emotional box I play my video games in.

After a while, playing it became a bit too stressful, with all the bugs and the new inevitability of PvP (which was not a given at first). I managed to stay alive for a long, long time by running away from conflict and playing conservatively, an impulse that grew as my character got more wealthy. In fact, I think he’s *still* alive, though I haven’t played in about a year.

I don’t know if the experience of the beginning of DayZ is repeatable. People have learned what this kind of game means, what its stakes are, what the boundaries of its immersion are, and have been inoculated to it by the alpha, which was so transcendent for its first few months.

5. Armatool says:

Dunno why but I stop caring about this game

• laijka says:

I’m in the same boat as you and I think a lot of others and I fear the answer to why is simply because they took too long and missed their opportunity.

• Max Planck says:

It is a little bit arrogant to think they ‘missed the opportunity’ just because you won’t play it… There are other people buying games out there, you know.

• Amun says:

They missed the opportunity with him — and so what if he’s arrogant? Who cares?

• Max Planck says:

Who cares? I don’t know. That’s the thing about a comments thread like this one, you never know who will be reading or what they care about when they do. All that aside, they guy gave his opinion and I gave mine.
            So… What do you care about Amun?

• Synesthesia says:

Shoot on sight dickbags who turned it into a slow boring deathmatch?

• chris1479 says:

I understand where you’re coming from but: Don’t whine. You either have to be better than them, at which point you can offer them the chance to live and when they attempt to screw you over you brutally murder them regardless (this is teabagging to the power of ten, it makes regular teabagging looking amateurish) or you have to totally change your playstyle.

• airmikee99 says:

That’s been pretty much the theme of Season 3 of The Walking Dead, kill or be killed, or be killed and then kill.

Doesn’t mean I want to play that style of video game, but to each their own.

• MechanicalPen says:

It’s not the shoot on sight dickbags’ fault that Kill Everyone and Take Their Stuff is the dominate strategy. I think I would enjoy DayZ more if it had game mechanics that supported teamwork.

6. Ovno says:

I still can’t wait for this, gave up on the mod in the end as it got silly but it’s still the only game since eve that’s got me properly scared.

7. MeestaNob says:

I believe that a concept is never “played out” if it’s done well. Haven’t played the mod, but keen to give this a try when it arrives.

8. dethtoll says:

Been waiting on this one, though I’ll pass on the early access please and thank you.

9. Lobotomist says:

Since i didnt play original DayZ , I am also waiting for this one eagerly.

10. Elmarby says:

Wait, all these delays and we are still waiting on an early access ALPHA? I thought the wait was for a fairly complete release. What in Hades has he been doing?! Other then climbing Everest, that is.
    Having spend so much time with the DayZ mod that I feel I owe Rocket some money I feel increasingly disinclined to give it to him based on how he has handled this whole commercial release. The faith that he can deliver is waning if not completely gone already.
    Rocket had his chance but I fear he fumbled it.

• Synesthesia says:

My thoughts exactly. I was expecting a full standalone release, not an alpha that will stay in development for god knows how many years till it gets around beta and to release. Ridiculous.

• shagohad says:

In fairness, you are talking about a mod that was completely broken but that exploded in popularity and has only really been in development for about a year. Considering that the changes to the mod have been quite significant (if you look at the devblogs and know the issues with the mod) thats not a whole lot of time really.

if you want to get mad, get mad about their terrible approach to promising things they couldn’t achieve. But that was just a fault that any designer can have which is to aim higher than the deadline permits!

I know this is no excuse for a game and I really dont like the whole alpha thing, but DayZ was so compelling on launch of the mod that I stuck around through a whole load of bugs and had a great time. If the standalone is just a little bit better I can live with it as an apha for a while :)

11. ironman Tetsuo says:

I still play the mod (DayZero flavour, SE2 FTW!) and it still continues to provide me with an adrenaline rush I haven’t experienced in any other multiplayer game. Several of my buddies moved on ages ago but we still plan to revive the clan once the Standalone finally appears.

Concerning the delays, I’ve waited longer for less from other games in the past, I’m still firmly aboard the hype train. toot toot!

12. tigershuffle says:

still play DayZ Origins most nights.

I still look forward to it……..because if it manages to recapture the feeling of those first few months before the hackers ruined it, it will be worth playing.
    Not sure it will though :-/

The mods of the mod have brought a lot to the table and theres every chance that quite a few current players will buy it play for a while but then want to play their modded version again.

13. O_Smurf says:

So many delays and complains about a project that is BARELY 1 year old?

Which kind of games are done in one year?

• Alfius says:

I think a lot of people assumed it would be a case of “Oh well we already have the map and a functioning mod – all that’s left is some spit and polish and Bob’s your uncle” – Rocket et. al. probably should have done more to quell this sort of thinking right from the off.

DayZ still gets hours and hours of my time – Lingor is my current home, Sahrani before that, possibly Namalsk next.

• Moraven says:

Well when they promised a alpha/beta in December of last year… then Spring… then Rocket when climbing mountains and to every games expo and conference on the planet talking about it…

• Smurf says:

True, all those (broken) promisses don’t help their case. But looking at the latest videos bring a flash of hope after those horrible E3 videos\builds.

14. Moraven says:

Hackers and people exploiting the infrastructure (move location on a different server to get behind you unseen) ruined it quick for me. People taking the PvP side a bit to serious instead of a hunter/stalker vibe that the early days had. I was always fond of running into bounty parties through the woods or camping a tower in the bigger cities.

Waiting for State of Decay sandbox mode.

15. P-Dazzle says:

This game would be better without the zombies. It was great fun running around trying to kill fellow players, or running from them!

16. james___uk says:

I think you guys have gone too far with the, punz XD

17. S Jay says:

I think I have the hunger, but definitely not the time anymore.

Comment on this story