SPACECOM Wants To Deceive You On Steam Greenlight

By Graham Smith on October 24th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

What a real space game looks like.

The next year may end up bringing us X: Rebirth, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen, each one a more staggering depiction of outerspace than we’ve ever seen. But for all their graphical eye-kisses, there’s still room in my heart for cold blue circles against a background of deep black. That’s what SPACECOM looks to offer: a multiplayer strategy game about deception with a clean, futuristic aesthetic.

You know what this makes me remember? That I actually started writing for RPS back in 2010, when briefly allegiances were set aside and new, less stable, more backstabby allegiances were formed for an enormous Neptune’s Pride diary. Wait, wait, I’m having a guilt flashback. Hnnnngg.

Ah, I’m back. It’s fine. I’m a different, more trustworthy person now.

SPACECOM aims for shorter matches between you and a friend, but the focus is similarly on streamlined fleet commands and misleading your opponents, without either the complicated tech trees or rapid clicking that defines other space-based strategy games. There’s more information on its Steam Greenlight page, where you should vote for it so that one day we can play. I probably won’t betray you.

, .

1. bills6693 says:

The title of the article made me think it was a warning against greenlighting spacecom, as if it was a misleading greenlight page. Glad I read on :)

• The Random One says:

Graham wants to deceive us about SPACECOM wanting to deceive us.

2. Thrippy says:

I love this genre. Uhh. Does it have a name? Real time Masters of Orion Lite? There was Sword of the Stars – hybrid 4X with real time battles. I still want to see betterer SotS than SotS 2. Mushroom Wars is not so very far outside of this genre, the mechanics are the same.

See Galcon Fusion and the sadly underrated Planets Under Attack on Steam. SPACECOM’s “tactics over quick fingers” seems to be criticism directed at the quick pace of these two games. But it hasn’t made a persuasive case as to why slower would be better. And, yes, we’ve already seen variations that are play-by-mail too slow.

3. Jomini says:

Meh, looks like an SciFi Eufloria or one of the other generic flash Eufloria clones.

• squareking says:

If this is closer to the Neptune’s Pride camp with alliances, research and trading, it might be a good middle ground. At first blush I’d say this offers a few more shades of depth and tactical thinking. EDIT: After scoping the Greenlight page, you might be right. :/

And the sound design! Gah, that’s glorious.

4. Tuhalu says:

Wait. It claims to not involve rapid clicking and yet the video is full of fast clicking and real time movement? This seems contradictory to me.

• belgand says:

That’s not all. The subtitle is “Tactical Space Command” when by all accounts it appears to be a strategic-level game with all tactical considerations abstracted out.

5. Leb says:

too many space games… the only game of this genre I have played are previous titles in the X-series and they were all booooooooooring

Can somebody explain to me which out of the New X game, Star Citizen, and Elite, I should be excited for and why?

EDIT: just realized spacecom is more of a strategy title, don’t see why the comparison was made to the others then. This looks kind of like RTS endless space which is cool

• dE says:

None, it’s obviously not your kind of game. And that’s fine. Why would you want to force yourself into it and then be disappointed because it’s not what you enjoy?

• airmikee99 says:

Yeah, like dE said, if you found X boring, then you’re not going to enjoy many other space sim games. DayZ should be out for you soon.

• Stardreamer says:

Leb, please don’t listen to those two above. I love love love space games and have a really hard time with the X series. You’re absolutely right; they’re crushingly dull at times.

My money is on Elite as that’s going to offer a more holistic approach to space; it’s going to want you to live in it.. I fear Star Citizen will focus too heavily on the combat. X-Rebirth could be the most accessible X-game yet but I strongly fear it will be more of the same tedious ultra-capitalism dressed in mega-shiny space pants.

You should also have a look at Limit Theory. That game is going to offer something very similar to Elite when it releases. A universe sandbox for you to live, work and play in.

• dreamscape says:

Sorry but no, Limit Theory is nothing like Elite, please let’s not spread this myth any further.

It’s a great game in it’s own right and it’s great to see what Josh almost single handedly has achieved, but that they are both using procedural content or have a huge galaxy doesn’t make them alike.

Elite: Dangerous is set in a scientifically accurate 1:1 scale Milky Way galaxy, while Limit Theory is set in a fantasy galaxy.

Limit Theory plays more like the X series and has a lots of empire building and RTS elements, while Elite is what it would be like to be a spacefarer in a believable galaxy from a first person’s perspective.

Also Elite: Dangerous will have mass-multiplayer in addition to singeplayer, while Limit Theory is only singleplayer.

• Stardreamer says:

Read the paragraph again. Two sentences. 1 statement. 1 qualifier for that statement. Limit Theory is like Elite in the sense that it’s “A universe sandbox for you to live, work and play in”.

• dreamscape says:

That’s a too general and useless description, since that also applies to X Rebirth and Star Citizen.

• dreamscape says:

I would recommend Elite: Dangerous, it’s the only one that will have a fully seamless and believable dynamic 1:1 scale Milky Way galaxy also with a dynamic society and procedural storylines and has multiplayer and both singleplayer.

See this FAQ: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

6. The Random One says:

I imagine the proper way to read this post is to stop after the flashback is mentioned, read all of the Neptune’s Pride posts, and only then come back.

7. dixiecrandall says:

❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥
    my buddy’s mother-in-law makes $88 an hour on the internet. She has been without a job for five months but last month her check was $20521 just working on the internet for a few hours. blog here

❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥

8. GamesInquirer says:

X: Rebirth is coming in less than a month. LESS. THAN. A. MONTH. Please let it be good.

9. Kerbobotat says:

Reminds me of Enders Game for some reason. This and Flotilla.