This Might Be The Final Assassin’s Creed IV Trailer

By Craig Pearson on October 24th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Despite the pointed mockery of John’s Assassy Creed trailer post, Ubisoft haven’t let up in their desire to tell expose every little detail about the fourth (but not really fourth) Assassin’s Creed game in trailers. There have been three this week. They are shameless. I was going to do a post with them all again, but the weight of that many Flash instances on one page breaks my browser, so I am instead posting the latest one. It handily manages to distill everything we know about the game into a scant 9 minutes. Think about that, Ubisoft: you have one trailer doing the job of more than thirty.

I also get to bump the piracy tag with another game. Hooray! This is a very strange trailer: it really does tell you everything about the game, so if you had a plan to avoid such in-depth knowledge then it’s best skipped. Though I don’t know how you managed it, because I hear the next step is for Ubisoft to start broadcasting the trailers into your dreams. The only way to avoid them is to not fall asleep. So there you have it, Ubisoft is the Freddy Krueger of game publishers.

It’s out on the 19th/22nd of November, because the world is the shape it is.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

amateurviking says:

I really must try to finish the first one. Someday, maybe.

• Ravenholme says:

In terms of monotony, I think the first one is the worst. I burned out on it halfway through but have managed to get through all the subsequent ones.

• MeestaNob says:

Indeed. The first game doesn’t require you to do all the missions to reach the final fight of each city, nor does it have achievements for finishing them if you decide to anyway, so there’s not much point in playing the whole thing.

2 and Brotherhood are ace. I recommend you power through the first game and get to those as soon as possible.

amateurviking says:

Until I can overcome my psychological need to complete games in a series in order I’m going to struggle to make a dent in my Steam list. Witcher 2, AssCreed 2+, Far Cry 3, etc etc are all unplayed due to getting bogged down in earlier titles. Gah!

• jonahcutter says:

I suffer the same affliction. I had to force myself to play Saints Row 3 because I had yet to play 1 or 2. The urge to know the storylines was almost too much. The Saints Row storylines…

At least with Far Cry, the games are completely unrelated to each other except in name.

• The Random One says:

Far Cry is like Final Fantasy, each game is an independent story despite the series having some repeating themes and game mechanics. But you should still play Far Cry 2, because everyone should play Far Cry 2.

• revan says:

I’ve finished the first two, Brotherhood around 3/4 and Revelation just started and dropped. Didn’t bother with the third after trying it at a friend’s place. Won’t bother with the latest one either. Ubisoft has become even worse than Activision with their COD franchise. I get the feeling like we see new AC game every six months, and they are all basically the same thing, just reskinned.

• carlo says:

The first game is basically just a tech demo for the first real one, AC2.

• N'Al says:

I recently got hold of AC2 as part of the Games for Gold deal (yes, consoles, shuddup). So far, it’s the only AC I own, but naturally now I’ve been forced to think about playing the series. Are there any that can/should be skipped, or are they all required to understand the (AFAIK needlessly convoluted) story?

basilisk says:

AC:Revelations is the only one that’s sort of skippable, as it doesn’t really advance either the historical or the present-day story in any meaningful way (it does wrap up some things in the past, but those are things you’d probably figure out yourself just as well). The rest of them are “required reading”, so to speak.

That being said, I wouldn’t recommend skipping Revelations. It’s arguably the worst game in the series so far, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Morlock says:

AC3 is worse IMO. I can’t bring myself to play even one more mission. There is no challenge, and I feel that my input is just there to satisfy the game enough to show me more cutscenes.

basilisk says:

AC3 is certainly divisive. I really liked it myself, but I’ll happily admit it has some very glaring problems which I’m hoping they’ll at least try to address in this new one.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’m in the same boat as Basilisk. Which sounds scary but it isn’t.

• N'Al says:

Cool. Thanks for the feedback, guys ‘n gals.

2. revan says:

I was kind of hoping you would say it is the last Assassin’s Creed game. No such luck…

• The Dark One says:

I was hoping that they’d make a graceful transition to Watch Dogs, which seems to use the nice free-running, open world mechanics of AssCreed, but without all the techno-magic DNA baggage. It already takes half a dozen studios to crank out an AssCreed game, and I really hope they don’t try to keep them both of them annual franchises.

• BobbyDylan says:

Why change one profitable franchise into another one when you can milk them both!!!

3. Low Life says:

I’m assuming, then, that this is the 101st trailer for the game?

Morlock says:

Interesting that the trailer claims that the West Indies are the “birthplace of piracy”. The developers may have done their history, but the PR department is clearly oblivious.

5. SuicideKing says:

After watching that Hornet ad trailer thing for Star Citizen, this was jarring.

6. Mr.Snowy says:

The series peaked for me at AC Brotherhood.

Revelations was fairly tedious, but then Constantinople was not as interesting a setting (to me) as renaissance Italy.

AC3 was woeful.

Will not be buying this one.

7. SkittleDiddler says:

Wait, there’s a new Assassin’s Creed game coming out? I must have missed the news on that one…

MajorManiac says:

‘Stunning’ -EGM
    ‘Awe Inspiring’ -Destructoid
    ‘Glorious’ -IGN

Single word quotes from previews/reviews is always a bad sign. For example:
    ‘Amazing’ -Dictionary

• The Random One says:

Especially because it suggests the full sentence might be something like “It’s stunning that they think they can still milk this tired franchise”.

• Ernesto25 says:

The profits ubisoft have made from this franchise are “glorious” – IGN

9. The Godzilla Hunter says:

So is this the AC that finally ditches the pretense of you being a remotely sympathetic character? What with pirates being some of the most evil, vile groups of people and all.

• Logeres says:

Well, seeing how these pirates apparently can’t stop going on and on about freedom and the rights of men, I’d say they are about as much pirates as they are hashshashins, which is to say not at all.

• Volcanu says:

It’s like they’re determined to suck the fun out of pirates.

Surely the whole attraction of playing as a pirate is rum-soaked, busty wench grabbing debauchery? Preferably whilst wearing an outlandish hat and extravagant crimson damask waistcoat and sporting a magnificent beard.

Nothing like stuffy talk about freedom and the rights of men, to spoil all of that. Anyway, I havent played an ass creed since AC2 but this has me mildly intrigued because of y’know Pirates….

• Smarag says:

Ever heard of “One Piece”?

• JeremiahBlatz says:

To be fair, back in the day(tm), pirates were not really any worse than anyone else who sailed the sea. It’s just that everyone else got nicer, while the pirates stayed the same.

10. Noviere says:

I plan to play it at some point, cause… well, pirates. The whole animal hunting thing seems odd though.

ffordesoon says:

You would think they’d realize at a certain point that it’s possible to reach a critical mass of trailers. Whatever you think about their games, Rockstar has done this right for years.

GTA V had, what, four trailers? Six, technically? All of them revealed new things about the game, all of them were released months apart (except for the three-pack of trailers, obviously), all of them provoked feverish discussion, and none of them revealed everything about the game. I’m pretty sure the game did okay.

• KevinLew says:

When you have a product that looks to be underwhelming but you wasted a boatload of money on developing it, then one thing you can do is have marketing shill it non-stop. I wonder if that’s what’s being done here. The intent is to maximize preorder money and get people to rush for the Season Pass before the game actually shows up. Then if the game gets panned, they already have your money.

My point is: It’s one thing to promote and talk about a product you have. It’s another to basically non-stop promote your game. If you go to the official Assassin’s Creed Youtube channel, they’ve released a video every two to three days now.

12. ShadowLeague says:

Are these even trailers at this point or ‘Let’s play’ videos?