Very Odd: CCP Refuses To Confirm EVE Valkyrie On PC

By Nathan Grayson on October 24th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

I recently had the opportunity to go hands-on with CCP’s Oculus-Rift-powered wonder EVE Valkyrie, and – shock of all shocks – it was really wonderful. More on that soon. First, though, some minor yet potentially meaningful strangeness. After clambering out of my head-mounted cockpit (that sounds incredibly dirty), I quizzed CCP all about its plans for EVE, Dust, Valkyrie, and how they’ll intertwine. I’ll have the full interview up asap, but one bit stood out: chief marketing officer David Reid was quite adamant that EVE Valkyrie won’t necessarily be launching on PC or Oculus Rift. I’m not really sure what to make of it, to be honest, but here’s what he said.

“Hold on a second, we haven’t confirmed that Valkyrie’s on PC,” he interjected when I idly noted that Dust 514 is the only non-PC extension of the EVE universe. “It’s capable of playing on PC right now, but we haven’t confirmed what we’re going to launch it on.”

“It technically works on PC, and it’s working fine, but there are other platforms it could run on. There’s nothing that technically prevents it from running on a console, for example.”

It was a very unexpected response, to say the least. PC is, however, still part of the plan… somehow. Unfortunately, Reid was exceedingly vague beyond that point, almost insistently so.

“Well, I mean, PC is definitely in the cards. Is it definitely something that’s there in 2014 on commercial launch day? I couldn’t answer that for you yet. We certainly could do it, but it’s still a question of whether we will.”

I was, however, able to confirm that it’s definitely not an Ouya exclusive, for what it’s worth.

“That is incredibly unlikely,” Reid chuckled. “I will say that with confidence.”

But EVE Valkyrie is a virtual reality game. Heck, at this point it’s basically Oculus Rift’s poster child. And yet, that’s another place where Reid shot down what most people had been taking for granted.

“No, we’re not necessarily [basing our launch on when Oculus comes out],” he clarified. “While we can’t get into details here, there are other platforms that are available. It is technically possible to run this game without a Rift. There’s a whole bunch of different things out on the market right now.”

I floated a few possibilities, but he wouldn’t confirm or deny them. He did, however, note that CCP hasn’t spoken with former Valve employees Jeri Ellsworth and Rick Johnson about AR/VR mega-vision eyeborg glasses CastAR, but “there’s no reason not to” sit down for a discussion at this point.

So then, what do we know for sure at this point? EVE Valkyrie is coming out in 2014. On, um, something. It will involve virtual reality, but beyond that it’s apparently anyone’s guess. I can’t really see any reason why Valkyrie’s mighty first ride wouldn’t include PC, but crazier behind-the-scenes dealings have happened. Reading between the lines, it certainly sounds like someone could’ve locked it down for a timed exclusive. If that’s the case, address all my future correspondences to the Angry Dome.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bull0 says:

Probably going to the Playstation 4 as some kind of timed exclusive, haven’t Sony got some sort of head mounted display tech in the works? It would fit with their prior on Dust 514.

Timed exclusives as a concept are about as hateful as on-disc DLC

• The Dark One says:

Yeah, notice how many times he says ‘launch.’ It’ll come down to who’s paying them to make the game a timed exclusive. It sure as hell won’t be Microsoft, on either of its platforms.

phuzz says:

As far as I know, the reason Dust is PS3 only is because Microsoft don’t allow games that connect to non Microsoft servers. As dust has to connect to CCP’s servers they weren’t allowed to run it on 360.
      There could well be other reasons behind the Sony only decision mind.

That said Tranquility mainly runs Microsoft Server and MS SQL, so they’re pretty much a poster child for large scale microsoft deployments, odd that MS wouldn’t be ok with that.

• Bull0 says:

Interesting if true.

• aphax says:

From what I understand there was definitely an exclusivity deal with Sony however (even if it wouldn’t have been allowed on Xbox by MS), hence no release for PC

• airmikee99 says:

That can’t be true, as GTA V uses Rockstar’s cloud servers, not Microsoft’s.

• Razumen says:

He got it half right, Microsoft doesn’t want games on their console to be able play with the same game on other platforms. There are a few exceptions to this but generally it’s a hard fought battle for each one.

• prian says:

If I remember the discussions correctly the reason Dust didn’t hit the xbox was because of how Microsoft was charging for updates to software on their system. Every time the Dust client would need to be updated after the first one (or two if negotiated) “free” updates, CCP would have to pay a significant chunk of change to Microsoft.

The nature of a game like Dust 514 meant that there would be a lot of updates to the client over time not only for patches but also for content updates.

Then there were some “issues” in regards to the link of an xbox live account to the user and part of the gameplay in EVE Online for some is to totally pretend to be someone else for a variety of nefarious reasons – and that includes how people interact outside of the game. The xbox live direct link to user account and name with no flexibility would pose a challenge.

There were other ‘reasons’ floating around back when the game was still being developed but the financial one seems to have been the biggest one. Since then, Microsoft has relaxed (removed) the cost for doing updates to clients and there never was, apparently, a significant technical reason not to have the game on the Xbox.

I suspect Sony was already interested in getting another exclusive title from a company that is well known for emergent gameplay. I also suspect that the excitement being generated by EVE Valkyrie has Sony contemplating the request (plus incentives) for a Sony exclusive title.

And, yes, CCP’s server farm for EVE Online is Microsoft based.

• mouton says:

I agree that timed exclusives are annoying and mildly insulting, but beside this, are they really such a big deal? Good games are still good when played six months later. If they aren’t, then perhaps it was all hype all along, yes?

2. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I really don’t understand CCP anymore these days.

• HadToLogin says:

They go where’s money. Sony’s safe $$$ are better then those $ from 4% of gamers (according to Volkarr the Viking devs tweet, only 4% of people who play their game paid for it).

• GamesInquirer says:

Yes, because CCP make games like Volgarr that the general population isn’t into and pirate just to check them out because they’d never buy them en masse regardless of platform, not games like Eve Online that nobody can pirate (in the case of Valkyrie I’d guess it would be more like MechWarrior Online, War Thunder, World of Tanks and the like, also without pirates given not only their payment models but also the required online infrastructure you simply cannot bypass, emulate or whatever else). While we’re discussing games that have nothing to do with Eve or CCP, we don’t have examples of games anyone can pirate yet they sell better on PC, no, we don’t have Super Meat Boy, Minecraft and many others like them, some of them part of big first party promotional events, yet they made more money on PC regardless of piracy percentages, percentages that mean nothing in the face of sales #s.

• HadToLogin says:

When game is getting released, there’s MUCH more money on consoles. Getting exclusive deal from Sony/MS is just an icing on a cake.
          PC can get bigger sales, true – that’s why you can release game one year later and everyone will be happy.

Doesn’t change the fact big piracy rates show PC gamers doesn’t want to pay for their games, so there’s no reason to give them ASAP and it makes every deal with MS or Sony so much better.
          Even for multiplayer games.

• Bull0 says:

“Big piracy rates” show nothing of the sort. Jog on.

• Lenderz says:

Tell me how do you pirate a MMO? Expecially one which runs on such specific and powerful hardware as EVE?

Edit – I can’t reply to Sheng because of limits of nested replies, but Sheng, please see below although you can technically pirate an MMO it wouldn’t be EVE, its the living persistent universe with the players and politics which makes EVE more than most MMOs. The PVE and Mining etc isn’t exactly engrossing, but the player interaction, unless you can port the 300,000 accounts over too and simulate their players it wouldn’t be EVE.

• Sheng-ji says:

Lenderz – It is possible and had been done with MMO’s. Right now I have all the setup to run a dummy lotro server, and have grabbed well over 99% of all the assets, including the latest expansion. Not that I ever would set it up, it’s my failsafe in case the servers are ever shut down and would only be used locally, offline.

• Dieterling says:

Sheng-ji – Playing a game like EVE on a private server could be the most pointless exercise in the history of gaming. Almost all of the worthwhile content in the game is about the player politics, market economics and PVP fights that happen on the main server. Playing EVE on an unpopulated server would be dull beyond belief – the PVE gameplay is terribly monotonous and unrewarding.

• GamesInquirer says:

Yes Sheng, you can also run Ultima Online and Phantasy Star Online servers. When official server software leaks or is easy to reproduce because most everything was client side to begin with and the game doesn’t happen to be extremely demanding on server hardware, it can indeed be quite possible (though you’ll hardly experience an MMO game on a home server, not to mention the potential lack of features and stability as server leaks don’t happen every version so any later updates aren’t incorporated in fan servers). However it’s far from the norm and it is in fact currently 100% impossible for the majority of MMORPGs out there. A few exceptions to the rule don’t counter his point since another exception to the rule is console piracy which is very much possible under certain conditions (not even merely talking about wide open systems like Wii or previous generation consoles). That obviously wasn’t the point of any post here.

• Sheng-ji says:

I was responding to Lenderz who didn’t have a point for me to answer and was asking a generalised question about MMO’s. Also, I don’t rely on server leaks – you might be surprised to know I can download assets at will albeit with a non trivial amount of tricky programming and 3d work.

• GamesInquirer says:

His question was clearly rhetorical and with the same point I made, that it’s currently flat out impossible for the majority of those games (not to mention pointless when discussing something meant to be played with more than a few people like Eve Online or PlanetSide 2) and that, oh, I almost repeated my last post there, just read that. I didn’t say server leaks are the only way, so once again you respond with no real point. At least you didn’t try to claim you’re running home servers for the majority of the MMOs out there (even though that was the main statement in the post you replied to) but only that you can run that one title offline so that’s something. I’m not surprised to know you do vague things like “download assets” with “3D work”. Nor is this an invitation for you to explain the process coherently.

• Lenderz says:

Thanks GamesInquirer, you basically argued the point I was trying to make whilst I was busy doing work… Much appreciated.

Maybe I could employ you on a freelance basis to correct people who I find wrong on the internet.

• GamesInquirer says:

I’m in, I could use the money to buy more Star Citizen ships…

• trouble_gum says:

Yup. CCP seem to be determined to produce a minimum one threadnaught of EVE player outrage per year based on a really dumb decision.

• Lenderz says:

CCP are all about the diversification of their business model, it makes absolute sense.

They messed up and tried to follow the micro- transactions trend this pissed off their existing customer base massively (not because of micro transactions per say but the utterly stupid way of rolling it out that they pursued).

As such there were mass protests and cancellations of subscriptions (mine included) as people feared that CCP had lost their way, and were going to ruin the game that people love and genuinely cared about. Water it down and make it less special. This was genuinely the only way the players of EVE had to make CCP sit up and take note and frankly it worked.

As a result of this CCP had to lay off 1/3rd of their staff and slow down development on World of Darkness and cancel their micro-transactions plans.

Since then I’ve not played EVE, I’ve lost faith in CCP, although I can understand they are doing the right thing for CCP, they’re reducing risk to the business, and the chances of it happening again by ensuring all their eggs are not in one basket, I applaud them from a business perspective, diversification is necessary to ensure their long term health. Yet as a PC gamer I’m really sad to see them neglect their roots and core audience.

• Didden says:

That is their cunning plan, to continue to alienate their loyal customers. Its a move that has worked well for Dust 514… oh wait…

• Reefpirate says:

How is Dust doing anyways? It’s already released, right? I haven’t heard much about it in a while.

How or why they wanted to completely cut PC gamers out of Dust, and now their new fancy toy, still completely baffles me. At one point I’d call CCP one of the most impressive champions of PC gaming and now they act like PC gamers are some sort of weird niche market that they don’t want anything to do with.

• Lenderz says:

I’m taking a leap of logic here, but I’m assuming they don’t want three things, firstly they don’t want to cannibalise their EVE player base playing sexy new man shoot. And secondly they want diversification away from a single income stream they don’t want one stream of income forever. And thirdly having PS3/PC cross play, whilst possible in competitive manshoot mode would give keyboard/mouse users a massive advantage alienating the PS3 players.

The final one would be an absolute pain to balance, and I assume the exclusivity cheques from Sony helped pay for development. There isn’t a PC body which could or would do that. And accepting said cheques reduced the risk to the business of developing the game.

• Optimoos says:

You can already play Dust 514 with a keyboard and mouse on PS3 – and not via those hacks that exist for all console platforms like Eagle Eye but natively supported. It’s a little bit janky but it works, and I’m terrible at controller FPS so it’s miles better for me. It’s been a while since I’ve played, but there were discussions about segregating mouse/keyboard players from the controller players, I don’t know if that’s gone anywhere but there you go.

• iridescence says:

I don’t get this “cannibalize” logic. EVE is a totally unique game. It’s not like people who play EVE don’t know shooters exist. They’re not suddenly going to abandon EVE to play a shooter. Some people would probably play both though. But it seems CCP likes console exclusive money more than pleasing their base.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“firstly they don’t want to cannibalise their EVE player base playing sexy new man shoot”

They’ve said as much, I believe. Utter nonsense.

• airmikee99 says:

It will sure be nice when we’re finally able to live in a world where we can play two video games, but alas, we’re stuck in a nightmarish hell where we’re only allowed to boot up one video game, and can’t start another until we’re done with that first one. :(

• xaphoo says:

Yeah. The way that guy talks, and the Dust situation and lots of other things, makes it really seem that CCP’s corporate culture has tilted towards the culture of the “blatant asshole.”

3. LetSam says:

So the PC Golden Age is once again nearing its end–after just one year–with developers getting back into bed with consoles? Highly disappointing.

RaveTurned says:

One dev thinking about giving one game a console release rather than the PC release their fans expected is hardly the end of anything. Sure as the next-gen consoles launch and gain traction we can expect them to take back some of the limelight for a while, but in the indie and niche areas PC games will continue to thrive – probably better than ever.

Just looking at space sims alone, PC has something of a bumper year coming up. Off the top of my head we have X: Rebirth coming out by Christmas, with Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous both slated to come out by the end of next year. Even if CCP decide not to release this on PC at all, it’s not like we’d be short of other options.

• Skyhigh says:

Quote: “Off the top of my head we have X: Rebirth coming out by Christmas…”

Or did you mean by … X-mas?

• phobic says:

They also made Dust exclusive to PS4. Though i’m not sad about that, since the game seems rather poo poo anyway.

• mouton says:

PC Golden Age is going for many years now and is not going to end anytime soon.

• TheNotchyToad says:

It’s a “next-gen again” console release cycle…happens every 8 years (give or take a couple) or so. Once the hoopla has died down it will be back to “PC gaming gaining momentum” followed by “PC gaming dying”. Rotates with the seasons for more than a decade now.

4. extens says:

There was rumor that Sony has some VR headset for PS4 in works, so it may be a timed exclusive there if and when it’s released, anyway, VR is basically nonexistent until big guys enter the game.

RaveTurned says:

I’d imagine they want to keep their options open for negotiating some kind of timed exclusive on a next gen console – probably Sony’s, given they have an existing relationship there. Guess if they announced a PC release it’d probably hurt their bargaining position somewhat.

Crimsoneer says:

Sounds like after the rather abysmal failure that was Dust 514, CCP are going to cut another deal with Sony for their rumoured VR headset – it’ll probably be the fancy launch title for the PS4.

I really, really hope I’m wrong on that. Dust 514 could have become something fantastic on PC, and now it’s doomed to be a below average game on a dying console until it peters out and dies. So sad.

7. Screamer says:

Well I won’t play it anyway, so that THAT CCP!

8. Parge says:

Literally couldn’t care less.

Eve Valkaryie is a ‘nice to have’ next to Star Citizen, and Elite.

• Pecisk says:

Yeah, with both “Elite: Dangerous” (released after six months, in 2014 March) and “Star Citizen” (after year a half) coming AND officially supporting Oculus Rift out of box (imagine this Elite Dangerous trailer with OR, ohh my http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI) I really don’t see value of this title, especially if it’s stuck on game play to EvE which is point and click.

• GamesInquirer says:

No, Valkyrie isn’t point & click, it helps to know what you’re discussing. Not that there’s anything wrong with point & click, different strokes and all.

• Pecisk says:

I pointed out that EvE itself is point and click, and Valkyrie is twitch. Sorry if it wasn’t clear in my parent post.

• Meusli says:

Someone has their knickers in a twist today.

9. Guvornator says:

“After clambering out of my head-mounted cockpit (that sounds incredibly dirty)”

I think the wish is the father of the thought, Nathan…

10. Meusli says:

If it ain’t coming out for the PC then why are you giving them space on your website? You are only doing them favours when they muck us about like this and I for one say F’em.

11. DatonKallandor says:

CCP being fucking morons – AGAIN. “We’re making a tie in FPS to our MMO should be make sure our only customer base can play it? Nah, let’s make it exclusive to a single console”
    “We’re making a tie in Space Sim to our MMO should be make sure our only customer base can play it? Nah, let’s make it exclusive to a single console”

After all, there’s no way their existing customer base could possible make them more money than the one-time cash boost they get from Sony for exclusivity.

12. Metalhead9806 says:

Its a pvp game… im not really into pvp only games. Now if this came with an epic campaign, mod tools and the whole nice and CCP decided to go PS4 only i would be pissed.

Pissed because i consider CCP a PC developer, not that they made a game for PS4, im gonna own a PS4 sooner or later anyway.

Also Dust is a horrible game, im kind of convinced if its not Eve Online CCP is kind of a lost cause anyway. At this point i have no hope for that vampire mmo they are developing.

13. n. says:

It will be SteamOs exclusive!

14. killias2 says:

If it’s not out at launch, they can go screw themselves. This is some straight scummy behavior, after basically screaming that it would be a Rift + PC release.

Scummy.

15. Ovno says:

Ahhh, CCP ignoring their existing player base again and going after the consoles.

Dust 514: FPS set in there wonderful universe, natural home PC actual home PS 3/4
    Valkyrie: Space shooter, natural home PC, probable home PS 3/4

Really getting to the point where I want these stupid decisions to hurt them financially as it’s all they’ll listen to.

• Bull0 says:

You’re not really missing much with Dust, I’ve played it, it’s very underwhelming

16. morbiusnl says:

ccp is really clutching at straws atm. Their Dust project is currently in a steady decline http://eve-offline.net/?server=dust

also their main title Eve has seen better numbers http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
    This all on the eve (pardon the pun) of new exciting space games coming out. Now I know, you cant compare eve with lets say Elite Dangerous. Or Space Citizen, or Limit Theory, or even X3 Rebirth (coming out next month). But these are all space shooters. And lets be frank the reason anyone joining Eve is because you can shoot shiny spaceships. I would be suprised if the releases of those games havent had an impact on their online numbers.

Valkyre was a sideproject that has desperatly bombarded as a main project because of the success of all those kickstarters involving space shooters. If they even fail to release that on the PC I really see at as a sign CCP finally lost it.

17. The Random One says:

Ouya exclusive confirm- dammit Nathan! Stop stealing your commenters’ jokes!

18. zind says:

Google Glass killer app IMO.

19. luieburger says:

Meh? Who cares? We’ve got Star Citizen. What more could anybody want? Let the peasants have all the trash titles. Everything that CCP has done besides EVE is garbage.

20. MadTinkerer says:

Sounds like he’s been told he’s not allowed to “announce” that it is coming to PC, for marketing / PR reasons, despite the fact that behind the scenes everyone expects it to be released on PC.

• Josh W says:

I was thinking that, we obviously want to do it, nothing’s stopping us yet, but we haven’t actually said we will yet. Wait 2 months and we’ll tell you that, and all our information will be nicely spaced out.

thestjohn says:

Hmm. I call PR shenanigans. There isn’t another platform it can run on at the present time; Sony’s current HMD tech is not suited for VR at all, and upcoming revisions that may be better have no form of motion tracking proposed. I’m not ruling out some kind of system involving the Eye camera tracking movement (like with the DualShock 4) but still.

22. captain nemo says:

Seems like a kick-in-the-teeth to the pc gamers that built EVE’s success. That’s quite sad, but given the other space sims coming out on pc, it probably won’t be missed