Ye New Sweet Shoppe: Candy Box 2 Is Out Now

By Graham Smith on October 24th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Don't drop those candies.

The first Candy Box was the best ASCII-driven, browser-powered, candy-based RPG I’ve ever played. It was, in a way, the most interestingly designed game of 2013. Now the sequel is ready, and you can play it now.

Candy Box was started to help its creator, Nathanael Abbotts, learn HTML. It became a surprise hit and according to the game’s stats page, there were 1272914 saves stored as of the 4th of September. Abbotts started work on a sequel immediately.

What made the original so interesting – and this might not be a repeatable experience – was that you never knew the limits of what you were playing. Candy Box begins with a single counter, ticking up the number of candies you possessed at a rate of one per second. From there it kept expanding: after ten seconds, after one minute, and so on, adding feature after feature in a way such that you were never quite sure what was coming, or even what genre of game you’re playing. We think of games as possibility spaces, and by drip-feeding its content at a careful rate, Candy Box seemed for a while to contain endless possibilities. I kept my computer on for nights at a time so I could raise more and more candies.

Whether a deliberate sequel can re-capture that same experience, I don’t know, but I hope there are surprises to be found in its depths. Check it out.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Williz says:

Been playing since this morning… I wish there were more progressive difficulty quests like the first one. After you do the Desert everything else just seems to bend you over.

2. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

almost….
    “More or less -1 days and 21 hours to wait before the release! o/ ”

Will play this. Will get addicted.

First one reminded me of what Kingdom Of Loathing was all about before it got too big.

3. Jekhar says:

I vastly preferred “A Dark Room” (http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/) for it’s atmosphere, but i will check this out eventually.

4. Gnoupi says:

Can’t.

Have cookies to click.

• Gap Gen says:

Yes, it does eat time, although at least Candy Box is more interesting than Cookie Clicker. I never even got past the dragon despite spending a whole train journey between London and Edinburgh on it.

5. li says:

It seems a bit too similar to the first one so far (with three items in the inventory) although the implementation is more advanced. But there are a lot more to discover, so some surprises might come..

6. DantronLesotho says:

It says I still have an hour; it’s a good thing I’m at work

7. Vurp says:

Prototyped in Excel.

8. Spacewalk says:

What’s in the box?

9. clifdweller says:

I should be spending my time getting into another type of box

10. essentialatom says:

I loaded the page when the email came through telling me the game was coming out… woke up today to find I had 70000 candies and counting. A nice headstart!

As with the first game, I love the lollipop farm. Numbers going up and up and up at ever-increasing rates really excites me. I’m a child.

Comment on this story