Mystic Myriam: New Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls Details

By Graham Smith on October 25th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Better than Mystic Meg.

Diablo 3 launched, sold millions of copies, but then seemed to almost disappear amid complaints that it lacked an endgame, that its auction house had ruined the thrill of finding new items, and that it was too easy until you’d completed it multiple times.

Blizzard seem to have listened to the complaints, and next year’s expansion, Reaper of Souls, aims to re-define your relationship with the game’s pointy blades and protective armour. First, by removing the auction house, and now with a few new details of the game’s artisanal Mystic on Blizzard’s Diablo blog

The problem with the auction house was that no item you were ever likely to find could compare to the cheap items available to buy in the real money auction house. That diminished the thrill of boshing a monster and seeing a good axe spill out. The focus on trade also meant that the loot system would constantly present you with items that weren’t for your character class, with the expectation that you’d sell them or swap them for better items.

Reaper of Souls does away with that, much like the recent console release of Diablo 3 did. It also gives you new ways to bond and keep your favourite items, with the addition of the Mystic. Like the Blacksmith in Diablo 3, Myriam Jahzia will hang around in town’s near your adventures and offer Enchanting and Transmogrification. Enchanting lets you tweak individual stats on Rare or Legendary items, to make your best weapons better, and Transmogrification lets you apply the stats of one item to the physical appearance of another. That means you can continue carrying your most dapper shield even after you outgrow its stats.

Read more through on the official blog.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Discopanda says:

Any estimates on how much money they’ve wrung out of the RMAH? I have a friend who made $2000 off it when the game launched, I have to imagine Blizzard made gangbusters on that thing before they decided to pull the plug.

• ditar59 says:

my co-worker’s half-sister makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this website ……. http://goo.gl/G40gh3

• MykulJaxin says:

I’m speechless with laughter from the first response to your query. I started reading it, realized what it was, and LOL’d.

• airmikee99 says:

Same, I almost thought about dropping my whole DRM boycott of Blizz just to play D3 if I can make $83 an hour. :)

2. aliksy says:

meh. Got burned pretty badly by the base game.

• Oathbreaker says:

Same. Blizz lost me on D-anything when I realized HC depended on a perfect internet connex, and the only decent way to get good gear was to make cash for the AH …and the best way to make cash was the AH. Meh. I’m still searching for that game that will give me my Strafazon fix.

• Michelle says:

3. airmikee99 says:

Still need to be online to play a single player game?

Still passing.

• nrvsNRG says:

Single player IN YOUR OPINION.
      I suppose you also dont mind the fact that PoE is always online (and others), but they’re not Blizzard so they get a pass right?

edit: anyway if its excactly like the console version it will have offline.

• airmikee99 says:

Are you new to PC gaming?

D3 has been available to PC’s for 18 months now, and it does not have offline play. It was ported to consoles and they got offline play, so if they can play offline, why can’t I play offline?

Yep, many games require internet connections, and for multiplayer games I have no problem with that, but D3 very much does have a single player campaign, which is a FACT, not just my opinion. If Path of Exile requires an online connection for single player, I’ll skip it too, just as I did with Sim City even though I’ve played every other Sim City game in existence.

• nrvsNRG says:

I mean eventually they may kill offline requirement (like consoles), just a guess, but it might happen one day.
          I think D3 was always designed for consoles from day1.

• airmikee99 says:

If Blizzard decides to cancel the online requirement, I’ll consider buying the game. But since they’ve shown absolutely no inkling they’re even considering maybe possibly one day discussing the chance, I’m not holding my breath. There are too many other games to play that lack such draconian DRM measures.

If PoE is free to play, but still requires an online connection, I may consider giving it a run because I don’t feel like I’d be losing an investment as soon as my ISP decides I no longer need internet, which happens frequently. There’s a reason Comcast is consistently ranked #1 in customer dissatisfaction.

edit: Also wanted to add that I played WoW for six years, so I know how “stable” Blizzard’s servers can be.

• Grey Poupon says:

IIRC they said that the economy requires D3 to be an always-online game (which obviously doesn’t make sense to begin with) and now that the economy isn’t there anymore it’s still not getting any offline love. They’ll probably spout another bullshit line about it at some point.

When it comes to PoE and it’s always-online requirement, it does make a bit more sense. The game is F2P, and they want people to buy their stuff. With offline gaming you could hax in all the cool effects and what not. That said, most people only care about those in an online environment, so they most likely wouldn’t lose that much even if the game was playable offline. You just obviously wouldn’t be able to mix offline and online characters. I just feel it’s not as bad of a requirement in a “free” game, even though it maybe should be.

• Shodex says:

I have to ask, what is your gripe about online only? Do you travel a lot? Surely you have internet access for a lengthy enough amount of time to play.

• Horg says:

”If Path of Exile requires an online connection for single player, I’ll skip it too”

I wouldn’t. For one, it’s totally free with a good business model. You get a lot of credit with gamers regarding always online games when your entire game is free. For two, it doesn’t suffer from the crippling stutter and rubber banding that D£ does. Deearbloh 3 (seriously RPS, let us say the word again) could run much better online if they didn’t force you to effectively stream a lot of the game play data right off the servers as an anti-piracy measure. Path of Exile doesn’t do that and runs very well most of the time. It’s not immune to lag problems but it just out classes Diarhbleau on performance.

• airmikee99 says:

Diarhbleau

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, omg, that’s awesomesauce.

I hadn’t realized PoE was free when I made that comment, now that I’ve been enlightened I’ll probably check it out this weekend. :)

• SirKicksalot says:

Funny how the philosophical objections to always online DRM are only worth 60 dollars.

• airmikee99 says:

Seems to add up quickly though..

$60 for D3
            $60 for Sim City
            Hell, the entire Xbone almost had always online DRM, even if you weren’t playing a game, just to keep the console running.
            It’s such a hot topic that EA had to announce that The Sims 4 won’t be require it, and Sony hotly denied ever considering it for the PS4.
            The head of Ubisoft believes always online is the future, and so does the developer of Gears of War.

Still think it’s all over $60?

• Grygus says:

I think it is fair to say that there is a difference between, “hey here is a game and it is ours, not yours, but we will let you play totally for free whenever you want as long as we feel like providing it,” and “hey here is a game and it is ours, not yours, but we will allow you to pay us $60 and that will let you play it whenever you want as long as we feel like providing it.”

Those simply aren’t the same, and it is completely legitimate to (a) have a problem with one but not the other, and (b) feel like the structure of one is set up to screw you while the other one isn’t, even though they’re structured the same.

• killias2 says:

So just to be clear.. the issue is no longer that you prefer DRM-free to always-online games.. it’s that you prefer F2P games to classic business models.

Got it. I’ll keep that in mind moving forward.

• Kitsunin says:

The difference is, if your game is free, you cannot remove the online requirement because that would completely undermine your only source of income. If people pay to own your game, and you won’t let them play it without access to the internet, you’re telling them that they paid $60 to own nothing but permission to use their toy as long as they want to let you, essentially. As soon as one’s internet goes out temporarily or permanently, it’s no longer your game until you get that back, yet you paid to buy it, not to mention that blizzard could abandon their servers for the same result, only it’d be even more out of your hands. In the case of a free to play you accept from the get-go that it’s a service, not a product, and there isn’t any way for the service model to work without restricting you to online only – but they would actually want to keep the game functioning and improving, because they haven’t already taken your money up front.

So no, it’s not a preference for certain payment models, it’s a problem with doing them wrong.

• Brocktoon says:

Kitsunin, you don’t understand how the sale of media works. You do not “own” any of the software/music/movies that you have in your possession. You own a license to use those things (and the media they are stored upon). That is what you paid for, and nothing else.

• Kitsunin says:

I know that such is how it works legally. How does this matter, though? If I buy a game, and I can’t play it, why would I give a shit that it was actually a license? I’m not saying I have the legal right to play a game offline if I paid for it, I’m saying that I’m not going to pay for a game up-front if there isn’t guarantee I’ll be able to play it while my internet is down during peak hours (My ISP became utter shit since they starting making us pay yearly rather than monthly -.-), if I’m traveling, if the servers are shut down, or if my Blizzard account gets hacked. Legality doesn’t make one bit of difference.

• derbefrier says:

PoE gets a pass because its free and is actually an interesting arpg.

• nrvsNRG says:

Good job i love that too!

• Moraven says:

But you can’t play it on a train or airplane or metro! Or your cabin in the woods. Which is always a complaint for D3. Free and its ok.

You are still online, you will still be adding friends and if at some point you interact with random people, involve in pvp or the ladder, you basically are playing D2 Battle.net. Open battle.net was nice if you just played with your own friends, but pubs games were full of hacked characters and items, it was pointless to play unless you did the same. 1 Shotting bosses is fun the first couple times but after that, you are taking away the fun of the game and genre. I think an article highlighting the D3 changes that gets the game back on track to killing monsters and getting interesting loot would be more to the liking of everyone who disliked D3 at launch.

• RedWurm says:

I played most of d3 solo. the only thing online added was chat and regular crashes. If there are no other players in your game it is not just solo questing in an mmo, there is no feature while playing the game that requires or reacts to the larger player base.

I have exactly the same practical issues with PoE being always online as I did with D3, except PoE works reliably and, at least for me, D3 never has. I’m certainly willing to forgive PoE more on the issue, as D3 was a game people paid for, and always-online DRM purposely makes things more awkward for legitimate, paying players in order to prevent piracy. Since free-to-play games don’t require my money up front, they can justify being somewhat more restrictive on how I play, and if I don’t like the business model I can walk away without losing anything.

• SeismicRend says:

Unfortunately the game mechanics encouraged single player. The monster scaling per additional player in Inferno was absurd to the point it was impossible to group. The console version is far superior so I have no interest in revisiting this on the PC. The simplistic loot system and fun combat lends itself to a great Gauntlet-style couch co-op experience far better than a PC ARPG.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

I won’t play always-online F2P games either, can I keep the moral high ground?

4. Senethro says:

Wow would you people shoosh already?

Ok, how about this. How about the thousands of people who hated the game and can’t stop commenting about it give their accounts to the thousands who desperately want to play it, but won’t pay money because of DRM system?

And stop filling every remotely Blizzard related comment thread.

• RedWurm says:

An interesting idea, since it would require we remove all personal details from our battle.net accounts, then give it to someone else – which is specifically against the terms of use – and face having to set up a brand new one if blizzard release another game we might want to play. But at least it won’t trouble the conscience of people who really want to take a stand against DRM without having to make any personal sacrifice.

But I apologise for criticising a game in response to an article about that game.

• airmikee99 says:

HOW DARE YOU EXPRESS AN OPINION THAT SOMEONE ELSE DOESN’T LIKE?!?!?!

• goettel says:

Comment threads are, indeed, meant for comments.

• Senethro says:

Well they shouldn’t be!

Griping about the DRM of a game a year after its release should not qualify as a comment. Hell, further down the comments is a guy still carrying a moantorch for starcraft.

• Nick says:

stop moaning about them moaning. Also consoles have offline single player, its a valid complaint that its still not available for PC.

• yusefsmith says:

hey can you please attach a list of Topics Approved by Senethro, so that this never happens again

sorry to bother you sir by discussing something you don’t want to discuss

ok thx

• Senethro says:

No kidding, my rule wold be benevolent and just. Saying “me no like thing” would grounds for being sent to the Reeducation Centre to receive instruction in qualifying your opinion.

• jrodman says:

Hm, no list, so I guess you’re okay with me pointing out that the online requirement is horrid.

• longtimereader says:

Amazing comment cockgobbler, but my friend makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours check it quickly>>>>>> http://goo.gl/XjXcH1

5. xaphoo says:

Do yourself a favor and play Path of Exile instead. A game that doesn’t make you feel complicit in greed.

• Moraven says:

I must have been playing D3 wrong since I never felt that way.

• Rednecksith says:

What greed, exactly? I purchased a collector’s edition & have been playing since day 1. I’ve never even so much as looked at the auction house; all of my characters are self-found. By the way yes, it’s completely possible to play the game effectively without using either one of the auction houses. God forbid you have to actually PLAY the GAME for more than half an hour to get a good drop (you know, like you did in D2).

But by all means, if you want a game with muddy, mediocre graphics, clunky combat, an impressive looking but ultimately shallow passive skill tree, gender-locked classes, overly dark graphics, having to ‘find’ your skills laying on the ground, short view distance, horrid in-game map, nonsensical story, lackluster skills, and repetitive gameplay, then stick with PoE. It’s not a bad game, and the leagues are very well done, but there’s a reason it’s free.

6. jjujubird says:

Removal of the AH and tweaking of the drop system is nice, but the other additions are wayyy down the priority list of things I would want in an expansion. Think I’ll pass and play PoE if I feel the itch for this kind of game. Maybe the second expansion will offer more interesting / substantial things.

7. goettel says:

They added fat women? Awesome.

• PopeRatzo says:

I don’t know where they got that picture of my wife, but you better watch your mouth.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I don’t think goettel said anything remotely offensive.

On the subject of the game, I… have nothing interesting to say. Nevermind.

• age says:

I take it your wife is not a RPS regular then.

• wonkavision says:

Just what we need: A player character with diabetes and heart disease.

8. daphne says:

Yo, WIT Path of Exile please. Thanks.

• nrvsNRG says:

Depends who writes it.

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

Yea this story reminds me that I wanted to try POX. Er, PX. PoXL? What are the kids calling it these days?

• Lamb Chop says:

Quite good. Feels a lot like D2.5 (including being zoomed in on your character just a little bit too much to see what you want). The passive skill tree makes for some awesome customization of characters and the game-changing passive skills are interesting and feel rewarding. It’s pulling me in way more than torchlight did, or really anything since D2.

The only gripe I have is that respecs are practically impossible, so you have to reroll to try a new build. What this means is that if you want to play your first character in the endgame, you have to look up and follow a build before you get started. Once you have played enough to have a feel for the character and know what interests you about it, it’s too late to do anything but start over which discourages experimentation, unless you have a ton of free time. That runs counter to the whole idea of a massive passive tree—that you can play around and create an actually customized character instead of following cookie cutter “optimized” builds.

9. Eddard_Stark says:

Even with the whole D3 travesty aside, this looks as bland and boring as anything item & game mechanics related in the game.

• SeismicRend says:

I agree. An item texture changing option doesn’t warrant an article. It’s a single line you’d find on a patch note.

10. Riaktion says:

I wonder if the expansion will fix the constant stutter I get when playing D3… i’ll be watching for that in the forums etc.

11. kud13 says:

No offline play, no sale. I’ve been boycotting Blizz ever since they stopped lettim me play Wings of Liberty offline

• Moraven says:

I was just able to go in Offline Mode with a WoL only account. Campaign, Custom skrimishes and Arcade maps.

• Screamer says:

No! You went ONLINE and only then did you go OFFLINE! Please spread you misinformation somewhere else.

It doesn’t allow you to go offline if you can’t first log in. They silently removed that ability with a patch after they saw a lot of pirated copies exploiting that. And simply don’t want to acknowledge that it worked like that at one point.

12. Shooop says:

So they’re charging people who bought the base game for $60 even more money to fix it.

Hilarious!

13. Rockman says:

Maybe when the AH is gone the letters WTT will show up again in chat eh? Oh how I wish they had just released D2HD instead of D3

14. NailBombed says:

Still quite happy indeed with Torchlight 2, thank you very much – and thank you, ActiBlizz, for your draconian and idiotic practices regarding D£, as I might not have gone for T2 otherwise.
    Unless the always online component is eradicated from the game, there’s no way in hell I’m touching this.

15. Rednecksith says:

Can’t wait. Making a great game even better is never a bad thing, IMO. This is looking to do for D3 what LoD did for D2; fix problems and make it truly epic.

To those complaining about always online, grow up. D3 is a multiplayer game with a single player mode, not a single player game with a multiplayer mode. Furthermore if you wanted to participate in D2′s ladder, you had to create a character on Bnet servers & be logged in anyway, so what’s the big deal? You know damn well that’s how most people played it, so get over yourselves and your ridiculous double standards. I don’t see you whining about PoE or Marvel Heroes…

• airmikee99 says:

Really? D2 couldn’t be played multiplayer over a LAN? Damnit, that means I spent hours playing multiplayer D2 over a LAN when I wasn’t actually playing multiplayer D2 over a LAN? What was I doing then? You’ve failed at marking your argument.

If your best examples are comparing a $60 game + expansion pack that will cost money, with games that are FREE, you’ve failed at making your argument.

Want to try again? I’ll give you as many chances as you need to make a coherent argument that doesn’t get debased into ad hominem.

• BlueTemplar says:

“You know damn well that’s how most people played it”

You’ve got any proof of that? Don’t you think this supposition might come from observation bias? For my part, I’ve certainly played more outside of closed battle.net, mostly because of mods and the your-character-is-deleted-after-6-months-of-being-idle policy.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I never played D2 online. I do not know anybody (irl, at least) who played D2 online. The only times I played D2 multiplayer was LAN with friends – and it was awesome fun, don’t get me wrong – but when I was done I went back to playing it on my own, because it is a frankly brilliant singleplayer game.

I’m afraid I don’t “know damn well” anything of the sort. I’m sorry if that bugs you, but please try to remember when telling people you’ve never met and know nothing about to “grow up” on the internet that everybody plays games differently. That everybody has fun differently. And that just because you, and your circle of friends, see D2 as an online, multiplayer game, doesn’t make that objectively true.

• nrvsNRG says:

Dont worry, I think its only a few RPS readers that consider it a mainly singleplayer game.

• namad says:

the original blizzard developers and marketing team considered d2 a singleplayer game, and likely most of their customers too. the multiplayer scene is just the loudest part of their audience not the largest.

• ComfortFit says:

” I think its only a few RPS readers that consider it a mainly singleplayer game.”

Actually it is the overwhelming majority of those who play the game. As it turns out, a few months after launch the CEO came out and admitted the majority of players never used the game’s multiplayer features, he cited it as a failure of the game and that it was going to be addressed by the devs or some such. I can’t link any of the articles because they all have the D-word in them, Gamespy and I think PCG also did one featuring more of what the CEO had to say about the failings of the game. The fact that no one used the multiplayer was one of the biggest on his list.

Google “Gamespy Blizzard: Single-Player, Not Co-Op, “Is The Clear Choice” of D 3 Players” if you want to see the Gamespy article, can’t find the PCG yet but I know its there someplace.

• namad says:

valve has posted the analytics, and facts are even titles that are multiplayer titles are usually played more in singleplayer than in multiplayer, and also surprisingly singleplayer only story focused games are rarely finished by the people who buy them, the number one customer of a game is usually someone who does not devote their life to it. amongst players who played for 100s of hours d2 may have been multiplayer but amongst the total audience it was by far and away singleplayer. D3 was made online only either because of the auction house or because of piracy it’s that simple.

16. Blood_shadow says:

Sorry Blizz, you pretty much ruined D3 with required online, bs multiplayer, and the RMAH. Why you think I would come back to be burned twice by the same game is beyond me.

17. ShadowLeague says:

Already given up on ever getting the game. Too many shitty decisions by Blizzard/Activision or whoever and now the hype and interest in it has run out.