Turn-Based Chariot Racer Qvadriga Is In Beta

By Craig Pearson on October 25th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I dropped a pun just so I could have the words “Turn-Based Chariot Racer” at the top of RPS for an hour, though there’s actually a real-time mode as well. QVADRIGA, you have given me that pleasure, so I will return the favour and tell cheering masses that you are now in beta, a word the pleases me because stole it from the Greeks. Now entertain me, or at least provide me with details so that I, Biggus Maximus Overcompensatious, might pass the next few moments not worrying about the wind blowing my toga around.

I should be a playright, or at least someone famous people give money to for no reason. All those words to tell you about Qvadriga’s beta. Timius Stonius has already covered the basics of this way back in June last year, (in fact, it was in beta back then as well, so I hope the new beta is significantly different): a tactical game of speeding around the circuses of Ancient Rome, turning each crack of the whip into decisive turn. How can chariot racing be tactical? So many factors influence this: the skill of the charioteer, the chariot’s build, and the horse’s endurance are all stats. Good vets and medics are needed to keep the wheels turning, as you’ll raise your profile in the chariot world.

Now have some clickable screenshots. I am off to one of Hedonism Bot’s parties.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

These Romans are crazy.

2. JB says:

I’m so happy that Qvadriga is on the final straight . I’ve been cheering at the news so much, I’m a bit horse.

Auriga can’t wait for the full release of the game! (Ok, that one was a real stretch. Apologies in advance)

3. Biscuitry says:

I’ve played the board game on which this is based. It’s a lot more fun than it looks.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

Auto publish, or just a morning person Mr Pearson? I’m good for eff all until about 10am -_-

5. BTAxis says:

This instantly reminded me of that old game, Centurion: Defender of Rome. It had a chariot racing minigame.

6. razgon says:

As someone who has seen, and loves the idea of the Circus Maximus this is awesome! As an aside, Circus Maximus is still the largest arena in the world, after 2000 years. Nicely done, Romans.
    Edit: I did not know that they’ve reduced the seating estimate to 150.000, so, my bad.

7. ElErecose says:

Is it only me or is this EXACTY the good old boardgame “Circus Maximus” from Avalon Hill Games made on PC?

8. BoMbY says:

“Centurion: Defender of Rome” from 1990 had a more impressive chariot race …

9. Michael Fogg says:

I wonder if the rules borrow from the common schoolhall p&p game? You know, where you move a fixed number of squares equal to your speed, can accelerate of decelerate by one square each turn, have a fixed turning angle and have to watch out not to crash into something?

10. vahnn says:

You know, this is one of the weirdest games I’ve heard of, and I’m 100% excited to try it out in the future.

11. Fumarole says:

Car Wars with chariots? Yes please.

Comment on this story