Six Million Witchers? SIX MILLION WITCHERS

By Nathan Grayson on October 26th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

SIX MILLION SIX MILLION SIX MILLION SIX MILLION SIX MILLION MIX SILLION

SIX.

MILLION.

WITCHERS.

That is how many Witchers have been sold by that witchiest of Witcher companies CD Projekt. That is more Witchers than anyone else has sold in the whole of human history – except probably not because the original book series is pretty popular. Also, it’s not clear whether or not this includes countless free copies given away as parts of various deals, events, and things.

It is also the series’ sixth birthday, which is kind of a weird (or entirely planned, given the way these sorts of announcements often go) coincidence. To celebrate both occasions, here is a graphic. A graphic with info. For example, did you know that Geralt was originally set to be played by comedian/actor/political revolutionary Russel Brand doing his best impersonation of Hugh Jackman’s forearms? No? That’s because I made it up. But there’s real information on that image, in helpful numerical form, no less.

Eurogamer also has an interview and some other things. We do too, but our stuff is from before CDP sold six million Witchers and The World Was Never The Same Again. Because, I mean, whoa. That’s a lot of Witchers. I don’t even know which witch is which anymore, nor do I know how many witches a Witcher would bewitch if a Witcher could bewitch witches. These are uncertain times.

(Note: I may have taken a somewhat facetious tone throughout much of this, but I am legitimately pleased with this news. The Witcher series is excellent, and so far CD Projekt has run a tight, fan-focused ship. Applaud them, you scoundrels. Do it now!)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Risingson says:

Sold? They also count their hundreds of The Witcher giveaways?

• I Got Pineapples says:

Yeah. Not to piss on their parade but the world has been constantly conspiring to give me free copies of The Witcher for the past five or so years.

I the few moments it wasn’t it was trying to sell me almost free copies of the Witcher.

2. Bugamn says:

The Witcher games were released on:

The Witcher – Pc & Mac

The Witcher 2 – Pc & Mac | Xbox 60

The Witcher 3 – Pc | Xbone | PS4

Ha! Take that Mac users! Just kidding. I was hoping for linux there :(

• Grey Poupon says:

Mac is a PC too.

• rockman29 says:

An evil PC only meant for evil people.

• Grey Ganado says:

A Mac is not a PC.

• purex. says:

I think OP means a Mac is a personal computer, which is probably true in most cases.

• Pliqu3011 says:

Every mac after Apple abandoned the PowerPC architecture has been a PC technically.
          Not that it matters.

• Wisq says:

See, now we’re using “PC” to describe three different things:

Personal Computer (i.e. any personal computing device except maybe phones/tablets?)
            Computer running Windows
            Computer running with an x86-based chipset

It’s a little silly. It’d be nice if we just had one meaning and actually used those other words to describe those other things.

• Faxmachinen says:

We do. PC means Personal Computer. Hence the letters “P” and “C”. I honestly don’t get why anyone would think otherwise, unless you’ve been brainwashed by the “Mac vs PC” commercials.

• Xbone420 says:

This is the kind of ignorance I expect from Kotaku readers. Not impressed, young man. >:|

• Wisq says:

We do. PC means Personal Computer. Hence the letters “P” and “C”.

You know that. I know that. The rest of the world does not know that, for the most part.

Especially the publishers who routinely say “PC” when they really mean “Windows”.

And that’s my point. But I think you knew that already.

• typographie says:

Not even technically, its quite literally a PC. By default it runs a different operating system because Apple said so. If that disqualifies a PC, then a Linux machine isn’t either. We shouldn’t let Apple’s marketing redefine what words mean.

• noizy says:

The MAC / PC distinction comes from the good old days when PC was synonymous with “IBM Compatible” and MAC was the Macintosh. We all know the story of “PC” gaming in the last 20 years and don’t need to re-hash it. We also know that when they write PC, they mean Windows OS.

• Doganpc says:

MFW I can put MacOS on a Dell Laptop.

• longtimereader says:

That is quite shocking but BonerGarage is right my cousin makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours check it quickly>>>>>> http://goo.gl/XjXcH1

• Gap Gen says:

Someone hasn’t been watching their smug adverts.

• ScubaMonster says:

Har har, clever! Yeah, they are personal computers, but in this day and age PC is synonymous with Windows. Not even Apple refers to Mac as a PC. Their ads target PC as Windows based machines. I guess Linux is just classified as a Linux based PC, or whatever you want to call it.

• sharkh20 says:

Apple advertising would disagree

• Bugamn says:

Are you telling me? I just copied the info from the infographic. Tell them. You can clearly see that in the context, PC implies Windows.

• welverin says:

Mac support was added later for both games, much later in the case of the first, so it’s bound to happen eventually for three as well.

• drinniol says:

Any Mac that doesn’t have Bootcamp on it and wants to play any games is owned by a stupid.

• Wisq says:

Yes, “any games”. Because owning a Mac and playing a Mac game would be stupid unless you also needlessly have Windows installed, just as a sort of “+3 Talisman of Gaming” to help your Mac gaming via feng shui or whatnot.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Lemming says:

Nah. If I ever decided to go Mac ( I wouldn’t but..), I’d go both feet in and whatever I could get working natively, that would be it. If I have to fuck about with bootcamp etc I’d see little point in switching in the first place.

• TechnicalBen says:

Most ports are just wrappers anyhow. So performance wise, might be better for bootcamp. But I’d not know how to get my head around that stuff, trying dual booting with linux is scary and dangerous (for me, as a poor user) enough as it is. I’ll stick to Win until Steam OS encourages migration to Linux (or worse, I’ll go to board games).

• UncleLou says:

Not much “fucking about” required . Start bootcamp manager on OS-X, make a couple of mouseclicks, take a nap for 30 minutes and let the Mac do its thing, and there you are.

BootCamp will automatically download all drivers you need in advance. It could hardly be more comfortable. In fact, ironically, it’s a less painful process than installing WIndows on a Windows PC.

• Geebs says:

Mac-native games are severely handicapped because a) they mostly run in wrappers and b) they get pretty awful resource priority from Mac OS (even more so in the latest version, which seems to have halved everybody’s framerates)

I generally only game in OSX when I’m trying out something that’s just turned up in Steam – weirdly enough, Last Light ran surprisingly well under 10.8 – but otherwise Boot Camp is pretty much mandatory

• drewski says:

You could always Hackintosh an x64 machine if you were that keen for MacOS without paying the Apple price premium.

• MiKHEILL says:

@Technicalben
            Of my ~200 Steam games, 90 support Mac. I just went and checked through the files for a whole bunch of them (~30-40 random ones) and couldn’t find a single non-native port in the bunch. Wrapper tech is handy, but outside of unofficial ports and the occasional small release it really doesn’t seem to have taken off at all. I’d load up Origin to do the same, but pretty much the only games EA can be bothered supporting on the Mac are Dragon Age II and the Sims, and EA does tend to use the wrappers.
            TLDR: Screw EA; everyone except for them avoids wrappers.

EDIT: Took a look at Transgaming’s site for Mac ports (they were the force behind the wrapper tech) and it’s not pretty. Nancy Drew, The Sims, and The Darkness II are pretty much all there is to see.

• Smashbox says:

I prefer hearthstone on my little Apple beacause I can play on the couch. No need to fire up the pixelsmasher.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

It’s been confirmed for Mac a long time ago.

3. iridescence says:

Good. In so many was it’s an example of a modern RPG series done right. I’m glad they’ve sold so many.

4. FriendlyFire says:

To me the most surprising statistic is how few lines there are in TW2; there’s actually fewer than in TW1, and that’s handling everything the game does. Pretty damn efficient.

Nice work CDPR and I’m really looking forward to TW3.

• Wedge says:

Considering the first one was hacked onto a heavily modified Aurora engine, it’s not super surprising.

5. Ricc says:

There is a typo in the infographic. :(

6. Aardvarkk says:

Must be the season of the witch.,

7. Laurentius says:

Numbers on this graph look like they’ve been pulled them out of CDP PR bums… 6 milions copies sold, 79 awards for Witcher 3. Seriously…

8. Big Murray says:

I have zero interest in this game.

• Zekiel says:

Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

• Dagonath says:

A WITCH!
      BURN HER!!!

• Turkey says:

5.999.999 copies.

• Kollega says:

I have to say that I also have zero interest in The Witcher series. Simply not my kind of games – never liked dark fantasy, be it games, books, or collectible trading cards. So yeah, The Witcher games are not for me. The Wixxer games, on the other hand… now that would be interesting.

(And unlike you might have thought, this comment is a bit more than an excuse for that pun.)

• dsch says:

I’ve never understood the Witcher love-in. It’s your usual run-here-kill-this-fetch-that story, but just because it branches, that somehow makes it an Awesome Advance in Narrative Technology? If that’s all it takes, I have a suggestion for making all games more awesome: the next time you play COD singleplayer, just pretend that the story branched after every cut scene.

• Zekiel says:

Well to be fair is has good writing as well as the much-applauded choice-and-consequence thing. And it really IS revolutionary that you can’t just reload to experience all the different options, because the consequences are delayed. (That shouldn’t be revolutionary, but it is).

All, I think Witcher 2 is exceptionally pretty, both in terms of what they managed with optimisation and in terms of their art direction.

• Big Murray says:

If you judge it by “delayed consequences” where you can’t just reload and experience all the effects … then Bioware have been doing that for about 15 years now.

But yeah, because Bioware lost their way, I think some people want to forget that they exist and all the things that they did.

9. Zekiel says:

Nathan is there supposed to be link to RPS’ interview with CDP? Or is your line referring to an exciting as-yet-unreleased-but-sadly-now-upstaged-by-this-news interview? (I love hyphens)

10. Shooop says:

They earned every one of those sales. Two great games from an even better company.

• Gap Gen says:

Better than the games? Where can you buy this company? Will they float shares on humblebundle.com?

• Michael Anson says:

That would actually be pretty awesome. I would totally back the Humble Developer Bundle or the Humble Speculator Bundle. Nothing like a return on investment! Could also be a great way to compete with Kickstarter, too.

• Freud says:

I heard they are sloppy with recycling. I’m boycotting them.

• Gap Gen says:

Also the CFO believes in the Divine Right of Kings, and the Lead Programmer hates dogs.

11. Turkey says:

It’s me. I bought 6 million copies of The Witcher.

12. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

THEN WHY ARE THERE STILL WITCHES?

13. MattM says:

Tirangles!

• Shadowcat says:

Well that certainly explains why his face has been looking more and more tirangular as the series progresses.

• Gap Gen says:

The modern developer faces many tirals an tirbulations.

14. glix says:

I’m probably more happy than I should be that Geralt can jump this time, properly.

15. Grapeykins says:

I’m honestly shocked the first Witcher has that high a Meta score. I couldn’t even be compelled to finish the bloody thing.

• MattM says:

They cheated a little with that. That’s the score for the Enhanced Edition, a heavily patched version they re-released.

• Grygus says:

Since they gave the Enhanced Edition away to anyone who bought the game, I don’t see how that’s cheating any more than any game which received patches. Are you suggesting they be penalized for not making it DLC?

• glix says:

Eh, the first one is hard to get into. Several people played it on my recommendation and only one of them stuck with it to finishing the game, the rest couldn’t deal with the dull first section on the outskirts of Vizima, and I can’t really blame them. And I say that as a massive fan of the series. That’s probably why the second game opens to a castle siege and dragons, tbh.

• PopeRatzo says:

But as soon as you’re done with the castle siege, you’re dropped in some town without really knowing what to do and you basically walk around picking up pieces of cloth and other junk.

Witcher 2 is a very good game, but it’s not friendly except to the most dedicated RPG players.

• glix says:

Well, no the game doesn’t have giant glowing arrows over the NPCs you need to talk to, but there’s a journal right there that will point you in the right direction, and there’s a tutorial now with the EE as well.

• DigitalParadox says:

Except for the parts where you have an explicit questlist saying that your objectives are and can easily get information on what’s going on by talking to just about anyone. I don’t think hardcore RPG players have a real monopoly on critical thinking and reading skills.

• Grygus says:

I liked the section before Vizima, actually; it was the interminable swamp that stymied me.

• Maritz says:

Me too: I enjoyed the first chapter but stopped playing for a good six months when I got to the swamps. Eventually came back to it and ploughed through that bit, and ended up loving the rest of the game. But oh, did the swamps nearly break me.

• buzzmong says:

To be fair, you can run through the swamps. Trying to fight your way through is a boring grind.

I’ve seen a lot of people say they hated the grind, yet hadn’t tried to avoid it by running.

• drewski says:

To be fair, not engaging with content is hardly a natural impulse for most gamers. Unless the game hints that you should be avoiding an area, most players will want to “beat” it.

• Maritz says:

Yeah, in games I don’t generally like the idea of potentially missing out on something good by running through / avoiding places that I can explore. I guess that means I have only myself to blame for grinding through areas I don’t need to!

It also explains why it takes me so long to complete RPGs, as I try to find every single side quest on one playthrough, and then never go back to the game. The content I missed due to the split in Witcher 2 intrigues me, but not enough to play through the first couple of chapters again to get to it.

16. PopeRatzo says:

Somebody should make a game where you play a crime-stopping vigilante in a costume with a hood, mask and cape, looking like some sort of nocturnal flying mammal.

Now THAT would be a great game. If it existed. And surely, if such a game existed, this is where we’d be reading about it, right?

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

The adventures of flying squirrel boy, would be a great game indeed.

• Freud says:

The Winged Whale. Fighting crime and supporting the perfume industry.

• longtimereader says:

Amazing comment Masterbator, my friend makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours check it quickly>>>>>> http://goo.gl/XjXcH1

17. Michelle says:

18. Jackablade says:

On a related note, the third (or second or fourth depending on how you want to count them) book in The Witcher series, called the Times of Contempt, is finally translated from Polish and out in book shops, on the off chance that you still have book shops where you are.

Only took them 5 freaking years.

19. Slothees says:

6 million even without me buying one, impressive

by the way he’s Russell, yes, both double S and L

20. kevinspell says:

I gave it a shot when W1 came out but I found the combat to be so horrendously bad and boring I just stopped playing after the first mission. And didn’t care about the series since. Has anything changed in W2? Will anything change in W3? And how important is to play W1 to keep up with the story in W2 (and W3)?

• Gryz says:

Yes, imho, TW2 is a lot more fun than TW1.

I was like you. I bought TW1 when it was released. Played a bit, but the load-times were terrible. I stopped. After 1 or 2 patches, I tried again. I played through half-way. I wanted to like the game. But although some stuff was done excellent (graphics, polish), some other stuff was just not fun (linear levels, terrible combat, irritating inventory and alchemy system).

I never finished the 2nd half of TW1. When TW2 came out, I saw all the moves on the web about the prologue, and decided to not play the game.

Coincidentally I have started playing TW2 2 weeks ago ! It took me a while to get the controls right (I play with a joystick+trackball). It took some time to get the graphics right (accept the fact they broke Anisotropic Filtering, doh ! I use SweetFX for SMAA, sharpening, etc. And I messed up brightness). The prologue was terrible. One Quick Time Event after another. I didn’t like it at all. But I kept playing. The prologue takes only 1-2 hours to get through.

Then I played the rest of TW2. Awesome game. So many things done right. The combat isn’t great. (Nothing beats how I played my rogue in classic WoW). But it is not really hard either. The story is ok. But the graphics are really nice (except lack of AF). The cutscenes and voice-acting are good. It’s just a good game. There is nothing that is done badly, and that would break immersion. Everything is done well, and with eye for detail. I even pick herbs and make potions now (easy, but effective). I finished the game in 2 weeks (40 hours ? wild guess), and I am now re-playing the second half, via another, completely different path. I love it. Best game I played in ages. On par with my other favorite games of the last 2 years (Skyrim, MetroLL, Dishonored, and now TW2).

21. Megakoresh says:

Considering the hype behind the 3rd game (assuming they can keep it up), they can actually significantly boost the popularity of GOG.com by just delaying the release on Steam and such by a week or so. Might be a good move, considering that GOG is not just a well-rounded service, but an ideal that every distributor should be striving for.

In my opinion doing steam-exclusive stuff for W2, with it only coming to GoG later, was really dumb. I haven’t come to expect such moves from the likes of CDP. I hope Witcher 3 can help push GOG forwards as a platform and I hope they start getting contracts with more high-profile studios and publishers. If I see a game, I am interested in, on several platforms, I will always buy on GOG, if available. The only barrier might be if the game uses Steamworks. Otherwise GOG is a way to go. It’s the most beneficial solution to any gamer.

• Gryz says:

The problem with GOG, for me, is with the payment system. In my country our banks have a simple (yet safe) system for online payments. Even the smallest webshops use it. Steam supports it too. But GOG does not.

I don’t travel outside of Europe anymore, so I don’t need a creditcard. (And I dislike CC-companies with a vengeance). I really don’t want to own a CC. So it’s impossible for me to buy on GOG. (And don’t mention paypal. I rather give away my money than trust it to a company that does reusable passwords).

22. phylum sinter says:

Might i suggest more made up facts about Russel Brand injected into every story?

Some suggestions:

Gamer! Did you know that Russel Brand is a revolutionary because he has a perm? Or is it the other way around… nevermind!

Protip: to enjoy Warface with maximum enjoyment, do what Russel Brand does and outline a perfect world without explaining exactly how you’re going to get there. Shooting guns will not do it by itself.

etc.

Also YAY WITCHER, i hope the third makes the combat more engaging… it’s the only part of the game that feels too quick and rushed through production in a very uneven way. Maybe i’m not playing it right, but there certainly could be more to the combo system in any case.

23. Clement says: