Exo-suits You, Sir: Reset Returns With New Beautiful Trailer

By Graham Smith on October 28th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

A robot in UK's apocalyptic windystorm of 2013.

Why do exo-suits look at their best when caught in a sudden downpour? Theory: we are all spawned by the same universe-birthing robo-horse, and the sight of graceful machinery being battered by the forces of nature triggers an emotional response like remembering our communal womb.

Other places exo-suits look great include Reset, a self-cooperative first-person puzzle game about time travel set in a rain-soaked city. Theory: is the name of the Finnish indie studio developing it. A new trailer soaks below.

It’s been over a year since we last heard a peep about the game, when a similarly pretty trailer made the rounds but offered no glimpse of what you’d do in the game.

With some relief, we now have a better sense of what the game involves, and it looks a cross between Portal 2 and that level in Braid where you co-operate with a version of yourself from an earlier timeline. Again: VIDEOSGAMES. Also, check out that moment where one character throws the big wobbly physics pipe to the other. I hope that’s in-game and not a cutscene, because that bit got my nips hard.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. The Sombrero Kid says:

absolutely stunning.

• Syra says:

Really? The floaty weightless robots and the ugly car models? Okay then. Are the more lush post-post-apocalyptic city scenes actually part of the gameplay or just a fancy trailer framing device, because those do look pretty.

• livvylrq273 says:

my co-worker’s aunt makes $75 every hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $18068 just working on the laptop for a few hours. you could try this out -=-=-=-http://goo.gl/1UjtCv

• 2late2die says:

Agree. Those plastic looking cars with zero damage or distortion as a big hunking robot-suit jumps on top totally turned me off.
        And the rest of it – well what the heck am I suppose to be impressed with? Sure it’s pretty but that’s all I saw – no gameplay, hardly any physics and for all we know it’s all scripted – that’s it.

2. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

There is something very satisfying about watching something you built yourself tick away smoothly. I suspect this would tickle the same neural nodes.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

“Exo-suits You, Sir”

Huh, and there’s me just watching some Fast Show I’ve downloaded, Delightful.

4. Tacroy says:

The atomosphere’s quite cucumis canis, isn’t it?

5. DatonKallandor says:

Hopefully the trailer indicates that this game realizes that Time Travel is bad news. More games need to take a page out of the “All Things Devours” playbook and make functional time travel apocalyptic and terrifying.

Also hopefully the Reset devs polish up those animations and give the robot some actual weight (or any impact whatsoever). So far it looks like incredibly pretty environments with a floating camera protagonist who’s inexplicably wearing a piece of cloth painted like a robot.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I rather like Stephen King’s take on it, in the book The Langoliers.

• LTK says:

Time travel? I thought the robot experienced a sudden shutdown and reactivated just as suddenly, only eons later.

• KirbyEvan says:

It’s a brain controlling an exosuit, and yeah it was reactivated after the apocalypse, but the game consists around using time travel to solve puzzles with yourself similar to that one UT3 mod: Prometheus.

6. Nevard says:

What worries me is that they’ve put a lot of effort into the graphics but from that video, the physics have not received the same amount of attention.
    There’s no particular wind-up or thunk to make it feel like you are actually a big cumbersome robot, everything floats. It’s very game-y.

7. Drake Sigar says:

I wonder, if you are very slow to drink a glass of whisky out on the balcony in heavy rain, will you ever finish?

8. soopytwist says:

Wow that was really sad, actually moistened my eyeballs.

9. Solar says:

Indegogo crowdfunding happening soon. Thought it was going to be today along with that fine vid. They have been busy this last year for a two man team. Music great. Dystopia wilderness scenes, great. Weather, light and shadows, great!

10. Burgmond says:

Can this game just remain the same as it is right now? Ya know, except with weight and power added to the robots. I would really like an open-world puzzle game thats creepy just because literally NO-ONE is around. Keep up the good work devs, it looks great!

• Lev Astov says:

Yeah, seriously. I’d love to play it as is for the atmosphere alone, but the bots could use some serious inertia added.

11. ThTa says:

Whoa, just the other day, the recent news about Raindrop made me wonder “whatever happened to that one puzzle game with the robot in the rain”, I’d completely forgotten its name and now this just… shows up…

I’m honestly amazed.

12. Megakoresh says:

You can see the past of those guys, that they worked for Futuremark. I wonder what kind of supercomputer will be required to get this game to absolute max settings.

That said, I am looking forward to the game itself. Looks like they got a really interesting world going on there. It will also be a pleasant surprise if the game is mechanically sound, but given that the devs have previously been working on Benchmark software, I wouldn’t hold my expectations too high in this area.

13. SuicideKing says:

So post apocalyptic, must be the after math of some disease/genetic mutation thing and riots.

But oh my, looks very pretty and so many physics (yes the pipe)!

• Tei says:

My theory is that Cyberfrance is guiding small black holes in the region, unstabilizing the nucleus of this planet. So Spaceengland has to abandon crystianity mining and move to other planets. This robots just try to re-relay crust heat. This one has ben disabled for a long time, and only recently activated. Think Wall-E with more Emo-epora.

14. liquidsoap89 says:

Robots and rain. Possibly the best combination man can create. Any ways, it wasn’t even a week ago when I was wondering if this game still existed or not, I’m glad it still does. Although having actually seen some gameplay I’m not sure it’s living up to my initial impressions… Those animations look rather not-robotlike. Let’s see those cars get SMASHED when you jump on them!

15. Hunchback says:

Second trailer, still incredibly awesome. Can’t tell if the actual game will be well made, but the atmosphere looks great and… i want to play it.
    Need more melancholia!

PLX has awesome piano musics in, tho!

16. alms says:

I was also slightly taken aback by the weightless mechas and the clunkiness of some animations, but last time I checked this game was the work of just two guys – and if they’re honest about trailers being entirely in-game, no matter how you slice it, that’s an amazing result.

The thing that matters the most is how the game plays and I’m afraid it’ll be a long time before we find out…. there aren’t many mecha time travel-based third-person 3D puzzlers out there.

17. freeg64 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/w7ceUX

18. Felix says:

They don’t seem like exo-suits and this doesn’t seem like it’s about time-travel. My take was these are autonomous robots and one of them got reset, finding itself booting up many, many years later.

• LTK says:

And here I figured I was the only one who interpreted it that way.

• Geebs says:

In the earlier video there was a beardy guy in the suit and the video ended up with him being reconstituted and reanimated.

BTW their video on volumetric atmospheric scattering is very pretty. Please can everybody not moan about the physics just yet?

• Nevard says:

I don’t see why we can’t? It’s something that definitely needs fixing, and nobody is debating that it LOOKS pretty because it does.
          But if it only LOOKS pretty then it’s been a waste of effort on the developer’s part.

• Furiant says:

To be fair, the physics fall squarely within the visual aesthetics category too.

19. racccoon says:

I followed this since the website launched on its first day its was amazing then, this video shows a lot of effort has gone down and time has past by, its mysterious ideas shown to mystery of a game. I hope it plays as well, I can’t wait to see it. :)

20. antinmol628 says:

my friend makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours check it quickly>>>>>> http://goo.gl/XjXcH1

21. Hunchback says:

Guys, why don’t you implement some sort of CAPTCHA or some shit, the bots are getting seriously annoying…

• airmikee99 says:

While I agree the spam bots are annoying, it would be even more annoying for me to have to do one of those retarded captchas every time I want to leave a comment. Even if it’s just a captcha to create an account, that would only slow down the creation of the bots, not the amount of spam an already created bot can produce.

22. vivlo says:

Music is cool until 1:13 :/

23. Furiant says:

I like that they’re showing their work, warts and all. It’s good insight on where they’re headed and the distance remaining. The atmospheric effects, the lighting, the way the trailer was shot, all imply that they are treating this seriously, so I would imagine they are quite aware of their lack of polish in areas like the physics.