Call Of Duty: Ghosts Getting Guh-Guh-Guh-Guh-Aaaaaliens!!!

By Nathan Grayson on October 29th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Meanwhile, at Activision HQ:

Bobby Kotick: Call of Duty is the pinnacle of artistic expression, an opinion echoed by all humans (who currently live in college dorms and crush between one and seventeen beer cans on their foreheads per day). But we have a problem: we’ve covered so much beautiful, subtext-laden ground. Guns, military men, explosions, zombies. What’s left, I ask you? Forsooth, are there any other topics in the whole of human history? Any more rich veins of untapped meaning that we, both this generation’s Shakespeare and Hemingway (or Hemingspeare for short, a weapon we’ll soon release as paid DLC), can loose upon this poor, unthinking world?

Some Other Person: Gee, sir. Probably not, sir.

Bobby Kotick: What if…? I’ve got it! Dogs! Man’s best friend, that most loyal of companions, the wind beneath our–

Some Other Person: We’re already doing that, sir.

Bobby Kotick: Then we should just shut down the whole operation now. For if we have nothing new or novel to impart unto the world, then what, pray tell, is even the point?

Some Other Person: Money.

Bobby Kotick: Oh, right. OK then, let’s do aliens. Duh.

Now the question is, will there be alien ghosts? If so, then there’s only one man fit for the job of taking. them. down. Ghost Panther, the greatest hero of our time. Oh, but what if alien ghost zombies come crawling into the picture? If that’s the case, then we are truly doomed.

So yeah, here’s the ghostly gist of how it works:

“Call of Duty: Ghosts introduces Extinction – an all-new 1-4 player cooperative game mode featuring a unique blend of fast-paced survival action, FPS base defense, scavenging, and class leveling.”

That’s all Activision’s saying for the moment. It sounds like a spin on the ever-popular horde mode, Infinity Ward’s answer to Black Ops’ zombies. It’ll probably be OK, functional, worth 47 game of the year awards, and all that.

I really hate writing this cynically. I honestly hope Extinction is incredible, a revolution, and something that brings gushing geysers of sparkling joy to millions of people. Or maybe it’ll make them think or something. I don’t know. I just want games to be great and to see sincerity rule the world. No matter how silly, angry, or ranty my posts get, that, I guess, is where they’re coming from.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ansob says:

…so it’s Zombies, but instead of zombies it’s sort of AvP-ish?

I am okay with that.

2. redredredguy says:

How did they make ALIENS boring? I think it was all the military chatter and technology.

3. Nim says:

I’m holding off a purchase until they add frikkin’ zombie demons from outer space.

4. Jams O'Donnell says:

This isn’t my grandfather’s Call of Duty.

5. Core says:

Alien ghosts? Sounds like scientology.

• 9of9 says:

Sounds like Final Fantasy, too.

• Muffins says:

Call of Dianetics.

• bstard says:

Aliens Ghosts, ok. But I hope ‘they’ keep the Ghost Aliens for the next game. I fear for the absorption ability of the average COD fan who’s used to anything between none and just an itsy bitchy tiny amount of new content on the yearly basis.

• jonahcutter says:

Free personality test. Just step inside.

6. Dozer says:

Will we be getting alien dogs?

What if we could talk to the ghosts of the alien dogs?

• Ross Angus says:

We do, using Morse code. SPELT OUT IN BULLETS.

• Dozer says:

Brought to you by the letters E, I, S, H, and the number 5.

• Shodex says:

It’s about time they sponsored a Call of Duty game, “IS HE 5″ is my most uttered phrase while playing.

7. Slinkusss says:

Sheesh… dinosaurs with Gatling guns on their heads next i suppose…

8. Themadcow says:

Pretty sure it’s actually not alien ghosts but lizardy aliens with a hint of insectoids.

The mode opens with a 5 minute cinematic featuring Danny Dyer explaining that he believes in UFO’s and that the aliens in question are “Proper Nawty!”

9. Don Reba says:

Alien clown ghost zombies are the scariest kind.

10. CrazyPaladin says:

So instead of Zomibes mode we get aliens mode? I’m fine with that, so long as I don’t buy this game
    *Note to self: don’t buy another CoD game*

11. Runty McTall says:

I’ll be honest, I love me some co-op and the recent CoDs have been great for that with their Spec Ops missions. I’d say playing these with my brother have been 95%+ of my time with them. So this is right in my wheelhouse*

* Once it hits like £10 on Steam sale, natch.

12. Meat Circus says:

It turns out that sneering at Call of Duty is a real job after all.

• Don Reba says:

I bet Nathan could make $80/hour just sneering at Call of Duty on the laptop.

• Ross Angus says:

If you sneer so hard, that you sneer with both sides of your mouth at once, does that make it a smile?

13. BoZo says:

Looks like alien zombie dogs to me.

14. SnowCrash says:

God dam the “music” in that trailer is intolerable..

• Ross Angus says:

I think it’s an um-pah band played at the wrong speed. It’s quite a jolly tune, in it’s original form.

15. Rao Dao Zao says:

“Gosh, that alien thing is trying to damage our drill. I know, I’ll FIRE A ROCKET AT IT.”

• MO73 says:

That awkward moment when “Team America’s” response becomes America’s actual tactic.

16. yurusei says:

Yup. This is XCOM in FPS mode then.

• Themadcow says:

While XCOM is X-COM in cover shooter mode. Such is the natural transition of things in the dumbed down… sorry ‘streamlined’ world.

• Bull0 says:

If you didn’t appropriately use line of sight blocking cover and kneel etc with your men in X-COM, you’re a cruel, heartless type, recognizable from the trail of dead recruits and grieving widows you left behind you on your journey to mars. Keep telling us we enjoyed XCOM because we’re not as clever as you are, though

• Themadcow says:

Will do (that’s me being flippant btw). Because little shields magically appearing when you hover over conveniently placed scenery on pre-generated maps, percentages telling you how likely you are to succeed and the removal of AP (or you can just call it freedom to move / shoot / move as actual people would do in combat) isn’t dumbing down. Oh no.

I’m sure a lot of people of significant intelligence enjoyed XCOM, it was a decent game. It was also a dumbed down version of the original. Dumbing down does not mean you’re a dummy for enjoying it, otherwise intelligent people wouldn’t enjoy watching hollywood blockbusters.

• Bull0 says:

How about you call it dumbing down, I call it game design, we both go away unhappy. Alternately, dismissing those ideas as “dumbing down” is essentially dumbing down the understanding of/discussion of games as a medium

• Themadcow says:

I take your point on the use of dumbing down. My initial post was pretty much a poorly disguised and shoehorned dig at the Firaxis game, wrapped inside a commentary on the fact that anyone considering FPS’s as the lowest form of gaming evolution (see most of the opinion on this blogsite) should take a look further back in the evolutionary chain before being too smug.

• Nick says:

“percentages telling you how likely you are to succeed”

I seem to remember something similar in X-com… also TU not AP!

17. RogB says:

Left 4 Duty

18. SuicideKing says:

So apparently Activision/IW forgot to make helmets available to women.

• cpt_freakout says:

To be fair, there’s a guy with glasses pictured for like 2 seconds that isn’t using a helmet either. And come on, at least she’s actually wearing a standard uniform.

• SuicideKing says:

Was there? I tried looking for a dude without a helmet, couldn’t spot him.

i think they were trying too hard to make everyone reailse that they’ve put a woman there.

But yes, they have certainly been far more sensible than Crytek.

• bstard says:

I’m afraid the limited amount of textures for woman have reached their quota due to highly detailed butt-vectorization.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Everyone knows womens skulls are bullet proof – because of the hormones or something.

• Pumkins says:

Pumkins will solve this once and for all. Head in to town and gather up a dozen of the womenfolk. Provide them with six iron helms to share amongst them. Pumkins shall begin conjuring up a human firearm. Pumkins is excited.

• int says:

I can imagine how much more amplified the CoD knockers’ vociferousness would be had they sexualized the female soldiers.

• TheBarringGaffner says:

What you expect, HELMETS FOR WOMAN?

19. cpt_freakout says:

They’ve been playing too much Gears of War… which could be a good thing, for once.

20. masterofchaz says:

This isn’t replacing spec ops as COD’s defacto co-op mode is it?

• Bull0 says:

If we’re going by frequency in games, I think Zombies wins that title – it’s in WaW, Blops, Blops 2, and was made into a standalone for iOS. Spec Ops mode has appeared twice – in MW2 as a series of missions, and MW3 as missions and a wave-based horde mode type thing.

21. Gap Gen says:

At first I thought “Bobby Kotick: Call of Duty” was the name of a game.

22. GSGregory says:

I want my alien ghost dog and alien ghost fish!

23. HereticSoul says:

“I just want games to be great and to see sincerity rule the world.”

Yeah, I can get behind that. I mean, I don’t like Call of Duty- REALLY don’t like it- but sitting in my spinny chair being pissy about it is only so constructive. Having fun is much more interesting than staying mad.

24. Tei says:

This looks very interesting. I would pay 20$ maybe a bit more, for a standalone with this mode that plays like what the video suggest play like.

25. strangeloup says:

Bobby Kotick comes across a bit Saxton Hale in this article. I am okay with that.

26. Muzman says:

What they really need is 4 player co-op on jet-skis jumping over a certain kind of angry fish
    (Or that might have been a couple of games back)

27. elmo.dudd says:

“I really hate writing this cynically.” I hate it too, but how else would you have provided enough content to justify the cut to get additional ad impressions when all you had was a byline and a trailer embed? Well, you could’ve actually talked about the other features of the game and theorized on how this fits in, or acknowledged what differences it has with Zombies which can be observed (defense oriented rather than level progression, end scenario rather than waves, multiplayer scorestreaks instead of wacky scifi additions).

• Ross Angus says:

You’ve got a point, but I’m kind of glad Nathan wrote what he did. It was more fun. Sorry.

• Muzman says:

The vile mercenary stink of someone’s advantage lingers over every tiny move you make.
      A person probably couldn’t die in his own filth without causing someone to profit.
      It makes me sick. Sick, I tell you.

28. Wulfram says:

Well, Mass Effect Multiplayer was fun and this seems kind of like it. Though probably too much emphasis on the shooting bit for my taste.

29. OscarWilde1854 says:

I felt like at some point during that trailer Duke Nukem was going to bust through a wall like the Kool-Aid man and cause some devastating alien devastation with his “Devastator”.. I lowered my head shamefully at the end when it didn’t happen…

30. navyknight says:

I’m not saying it was aliens… but it was Aliens.

31. Contrafibularity says:

Beats being a conflict videogame franchise by a mile, it also can’t be worse than Colonial Marines. Honestly.